Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gameplay Vs Graphics

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Gameplay
    I just started playing the Sims 3 again and graphics aside I'm having a blast so I guess I made my decision
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Gameplay
    I was raised on 8 bit Mario games, so gameplay is always my preference.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    Gameplay
    I wouldn't mind game packs having tiny worlds like Forgotten Hollow if it means we get gameplay that's new, innovative, and fun like we got with the Vampires game pack. But lately packs like Realm of Magic have super pretty worlds but a bunch of recycled gameplay. That pack had a few new animations, but most of the spells and potions are re-skins of gameplay we could get from either the science career or aspiration rewards.

For expansion packs, I expect both a beautiful world AND good gameplay. Island Living is a joke. They need to quit putting style over substance with the smaller packs, and with EPs costing the same as a brand new AAA game, they should be a lot better than they are.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    edited September 2020
    in a way i would say gameplay cause i still love ts1 and 2 the best despite not so great graphics

but also then i think of ts3 that i simply can't make myself play cause sims are so ugly...

I must just note that I think both gameplay and graphics should be at least mediocre and then i could pick gameplay after that point

like in a way having good graphics makes all upcoming gameplay more fun if the gameplay just is coming but also gameplay is more important than having super fancy set dressing
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    Gameplay
    Gameplay. Take TS3 and TS4. TS3 may not have better graphics than TS4, but the gameplay is miles better. If I'm left bored with a game, like I am with TS4, then it doesn't matter how good the game looks, I'll stop playing and probably not come back, and then go to a game that's fun, like TS3.

Stardew Valley is also a perfect example as well. The graphics don't stack up to countless games, but the gameplay stacks up above most games, and that's why I have almost 400 hours now with the game (hehe).
    Proud simmer
  • NiaraTiaraNiaraTiara Posts: 120 Member
    Graphics
    Gameplay is very important to me too, but I will not have interest in seeing the gameplay if the graphics are bad.
    Let there be Fairies! o:)
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    Gameplay
    I’ve been a gamer for over three decades. I started playing as soon as I was able to hold a controller. Gameplay *always* comes first. If the gameplay’s lacking, what’s the point of even playing? Sure visuals are a big part of the gaming experience, but fun should never take a backseat to looks.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Both or nothing. Games are too expansive to make a choice. The Souls series is a brillant example of that combination without compromise. It also is a proof that you can both deliver a masterpiece of a game and still make money. Looking at you E.A.
  • charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member
    edited September 2020
    Gameplay
    Gameplay all the way. I brought one of those plug in Sega game consoles, not because the graphics were the best, but because the gameplay was enjoyable. I kept talking my mom into buying Kingdom Hearts CDs when the old ones got scratched or broken not because the graphics were the best of the series, but because I loved the gameplay, even to this day (and yes I did get the digital version for my PS4 :D ). I currently play Sims 3 over 4 and not because of the graphics. A pretty game means nothing to me without some depth or something within the game/story that I can connect to.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Gameplay
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »
    I’ve been a gamer for over three decades. I started playing as soon as I was able to hold a controller. Gameplay *always* comes first. If the gameplay’s lacking, what’s the point of even playing? Sure visuals are a big part of the gaming experience, but fun should never take a backseat to looks.
    I agree as Sims 4 has turned into an art festival for me and it is quite boring.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • LeCastelLeCastel Posts: 21 Member
    Gameplay
    Gameplay. This is a no-brainer for me. Do I want a delicious tasting dish that looks meh, or something disgusting that looks amazing?

I have no problem going back to TS2 and TS3 and I even play Dwarf Fortress (which looks.. well, like someone punched a keyboard a couple of times). That's not to say that I don't appreciate the graphics of TS4; I absolutely love how it looks. It's very stylistic, the Sims look great and the structures we can build look gorgeous.

But at the end of the day gameplay is what makes a game for me and keeps me coming back to it.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    Gameplay
    I was able to get into Sims2, despite the graphics because the gameplay was AWESOME.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Hmm. From the context in the OP, I'm assuming graphics is combined with art style, so I'm going to give my answer accordingly.

Both are equally important to me. I started with Sims 2, and compared to other games I played, the graphics weren't exactly stellar so I used a lot of CC, which was fine with me, and I thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay. Without CC I may never have picked up the game at all. The appearance of my Sims was extremely important.

When Sims 3 launched, I couldn't stand the appearance of it and couldn't create a Sim to have the features that I wanted. But even when I made a "decent" looking Sim, they just looked awful to me. I also felt like the world graphics and Sim graphics were somehow misaligned and it was very distracting. It's hard to explain, but it contributed to my abandonment of the game very quickly. So in that case, the gameplay just couldn't save it. Also on that note, I have to add that I can't vote for gameplay in general, because a lot depends on the type of gameplay as well. There were aspects of Sims 3 gameplay that were lacking or invasive and it wasn't fun for my play style.

Sims 4, upon launch, was fun at first, and I definitely loved the graphics/art style immediately. I was, for the very first time in a Sims game, able to create a Sim Self just with the CAS demo and no CC. I was able to create likenesses. The worlds were breathtaking and I still love them. But I came to find out that the gameplay was stunted and the fun wore off quickly. But not quite enough for me to abandon the game because the basis of my gameplay was still there just enough to stick to it. But as they've added more gameplay to Sims 4 over the years, I think it has definitely improved more and more, and although I think it still has a ways to go, I can enjoy it in new ways that I couldn't in previous games.

But beyond the Sims games, my answer comes down to this:

Aesthetics are important depending on what I expect from the game itself. Anything that offers customization, or is designed around aesthetics, needs to have some kind of decent graphics and/or art style or it will fail to impress me.

Gameplay is always important but is not universally defined. So to each player and each game, "good" gameplay is going to mean something different. I play an MMO that has a player base consisting of Questers, PvPers, Raiders, Roleplayers, and musical performers. Each group wants something different from developers to suit their gameplay, and some cross over to enjoy one or more of a combination of play styles. So one player base might think the game is great as it is, while another thinks it's "lacking" in gameplay because it doesn't hard focus on their preferred enjoyment. So I think the same can be said for The Sims.

Essentially, when one person states that they want "gameplay", another person might picture that gameplay looking completely different. So in the end, I think it's very important to be as constructive and as detailed as you can when you request it, or the definition will be left up to the developers to interpret.
    #Team Occult
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    edited September 2020
    Graphics
    This is a very tricky one, as I would be more inclined to say gameplay is more important - because it is. However, if a game has poor graphics then I am less inclined to play it. Whilst TS1 and TS2 had good quality graphics at the time they were released and had, without a doubt, amazing gameplay and true depth... if I try to return to play it now, I uninstall after an hour because the graphics are too outdated for me to play with. If the next Sims game was to be released with mediocre graphics for the standard of 2020+, I would be pretty disappointed.

So in theory, gameplay over graphics, but I have voted for graphics.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Gameplay
    I don't get real close to my Sims. I usually have the walls down all the time unless I am trying to use a painting to bring about a mood I want. I'm usually out far enough to see the whole house unless my Sims are doing things outside and then my view includes the whole property. Gameplay trump's clothes, build, and graphics for me. Hairstyles rank above them for me. Buy and some toddler hairstyles/clothes rank up there with gameplay for me. World's are important for me also.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Really don’t know as I would say gameplay but when I tried to play sims 3 (much better gameplay) than sims 4 (better graphics) I just could play it. I’m a bit of stickler for getting so used to something that when it deviates from what I am used to I can’t handle it so divert back to what I like. I takes me ages to get used to a new sims game 3 from 1 and 4 from 3. It’s this very reason why I could never play sims 2. So when I went back to play sims 3 after playing 4 for a while I didn’t like it due to graphics and the controls and the way you play this game.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I just started playing the Sims 3 again and graphics aside I'm having a blast so I guess I made my decision

I don't actually think the TS3 graphics are even bad with settings on full and a bit of tweaking in the graphics card settings. I'm also playing TS3 lately and I'm enjoying it so much. It's like a new game for me since I didn't really play it back when it was current. I'm only playing base game right now despite owning packs and I can't wait to see all the things sims will do as I eventually add more packs to the game.
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    Gameplay
    Gameplay.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Gameplay
    I really need both but gameplay is more important. Sims 4 proves that. I find the game is pretty but if I didn’t have mods that added gameplay I would have stop playing ages ago. EA should thank these modders. I really wish some of them were in the game changers program. We might be in a better place.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited September 2020
    Gameplay
    Gameplay... But fortunately for me I like sims4 gameplay AND graphics/art style best because tbh.. Both are pretty close in importance for me. Gameplay having the slight upper hand buti wouldn't play a game if I didn't like both
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited September 2020
    Gameplay
    At first I wanted to pick graphics, but then I realized....it's more about ART STYLE than what my graphics card can handle.

So therefore, since I consider Art Style a form of Gameplay as the game revolves around interacting with the environment, I had to conclude that Gameplay is more important.
  • VromberVromber Posts: 3 New Member
    Gameplay
    Sul Sul Everyone...

I, personally, would never sacrifice the gameplay on the altar of graphic quality, even if a too graphically outdated game would kill my eyes. But I don't buy the "Beauty tyrany" and the "good-looking dictatorship" that many find necessary... That's why I prefer the Sims 3 the most by far, as it has the most outstanding gameplay and depth of all the sims franchise... I'm even to the point of finding the Sims 4 better than the Sims 2 for example... A game many find beautiful (at least more than the sims 3), with cute cutscenes, good animations, etc... Yes a very unpopular opinion indeed to say the least... Sorry in advance for the Sims 2 bashing...

Here's why... There are very few skills in the Sims 2, which bring us to inconsistencies and annoying crippled gameplay that lead to fatal consequences...

Charisma: You can master it by talking to a mirror for a very long time and not by talking to ACTUAL sims. Needless to say that the other's gameplay incite you to move your *ss up and go meet people as there are acquaintances and friendships requirements to progress in the say skill... Move your 🐸🐸🐸🐸 from your sofa if you want to be charismatic!

Creativity: You can master it by painting over and over... And suddenly comes to your mind the idea to touch an instrument for the very first time... Yippee Yay! You mastering it too... How dumb-magical is that... At least in the others you can't master guitar by playing drums...

Cleaning: Stupid skill

Occult lifestates: Mere reskins of normal sims with no gameplay value, very few and uninteresting interactions... You can"Bleh" people... Yeah right... At least in the Sims 4, there are interesting occult lifestates (vampires particularly)... And I don't even speak of the Sims 3, the boss... Unluckily, I'm an Tim Burton fan, I love occults, as much as I love fantasy, sci-fi, horror, adventure, paranormal, etc... So occults matter to me...
    The Sims 4 is less shocking in that aspect, but is more hollow that the Sims 3, even without mods...

Because gameplay is what makes the depth of a game in the end of the day... It is the core value and what makes you imply yourself in a game finally... If you're a serious gamer, you want a game that stimulates your dedication...
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Graphics
    I actually value story and/or gameplay most, but not gonna lie, I won't play even an amazing game if the look of it doesn't please me.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited February 2021
    Graphics
    Both are important. The World and Characters have to look the way you envision, and at least be stable and the environment is well and intact, for stimulation and enjoyment. The moment things start glitching, The Illusion is broken.

It's like a Play, or when you watch a movie, I don't want to see the harness, or the strings that make the character or the object float.

But the game play is just as important what is the game without game play?

Although you can make your own game. I don't really need someone to write the rules of the game. Just the puppet, breathe some life personality, into it and behold the game begins. after that your script writes itself.

But what does "Good" Graphics Look like?

Beauty is subjective, Art is Subjective. But the story and the imagination Endures.

However Some parts of the story, remain "On hold" because Game play features don't currently exist. so Time stays still, the story doesn't move forward.

It's Like right now my game keeps crashing, for once it's not because of Mods or CC, Maybe it's the graphics...
    And I don't know what to do.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    edited February 2021
    Simmingal wrote: »
    in a way i would say gameplay cause i still love ts1 and 2 the best despite not so great graphics

but also then i think of ts3 that i simply can't make myself play cause sims are so ugly...

I would say gameplay as well, but Sims 3 is so bad in the graphics department I couldn't give it more than an hour in base game. Like, the sims themselves are so ugly I can't lmao. So I 100% agree with you.