Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 in Development - Exciting Clues!

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2020
    The latest on Epic vs. Apple battle....

To summarize so far:
    • Epic implemented a direct sales transaction feature in their Fortnite game for Macs, which overrides Apple's sales function that allows Apple to get a percentage cut of 30% from each sale. But since that has been overridden, all the money from that sale goes directly to Epic. This is a breach of contract with Apple. Epic feels that a 30% cut to Apple for every sale is exorbitant on the other hand.
    • Apple removes Fortnite from their store and threatens to cut Epic off permanently from their line of computers and mobile devices, meaning that Epic will no longer be able to develop the Unreal Engine for use on Apple's Macs and iOS and in turn, game developers won't be able to use the Unreal Engine to make their games on Macs and Apple mobile devices. Epic was given 2 weeks to remove the direct sales transaction feature.
    • Epic files an order in court to freeze the time period before being cut off and requests for Fortnite to be placed back in Apple's store.
    • So now Apple is responding to the suit filed by Epic....

• Apple said in court filings that Epic was conducting anticompetitive behavior in that Epic was seeking special treatment for their games
    • Epic's CEO, Tim Sweeney, tweeted that this was not the case:
    • Apple stated that what Tim Sweeney said wasn't true and produced several emails from Tim Sweeney for a special deal for Fortnite in which they can a implement direct sales mechanism, and not have to use Apple's version, which every other game is contracted to use.
    • Of course, Apple didn't consent to it, because they saw this as special treatment and unfair to the other games/game developers.
    • The morning the direct sales mechanism was in place, Tim Sweeney notified that it “will no longer adhere to Apple’s payment processing restrictions.”

I don't envy the court who has to sort all this out. I think Epic was indeed in breach of contract, but at the same time, I think the 30% cut that Apple gets for each transaction really is exorbitant. We'll see how the court decides. In the meantime....

giphy.gif

The saga continues....

Now Microsoft is rolling up their sleeves and entering into the tussle....on Epic's side.

Microsoft took Epic's side and filed their own statement of support in court stating:
    “If Unreal Engine cannot support games for iOS or macOS, Microsoft would be required to choose between abandoning its customers and potential customers on the iOS and macOS platforms or choosing a different game engine when preparing to develop new games,”

Phil Spencer, head of Xbox, tweeted about the announcement:

Read the comments if you have a bit of time! Very interesting as there are tweets for both sides explaining why they're backing their boy and why the other side is so evil, lol!

He also provided a link in his tweet to download and read Microsoft's court filing if you're interested:

TS5 might be affected if it is being made with the Unreal Engine4, but regardless, EA already has some completed games made with UE. I wonder if they will enter the fray on behalf of those games?

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I am not excited for TS5 right now, but do you guys think they are thinking of implementing in basegame features that they traditionally brought out in EPs, like seasons, pets, etc., and that is why they are trying out experimental EPs with TS4?
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I am not excited for TS5 right now, but do you guys think they are thinking of implementing in basegame features that they traditionally brought out in EPs, like seasons, pets, etc., and that is why they are trying out experimental EPs with TS4?

Pets and Seasons expansion packs are always the most popular and profitable for them so I don't think they will include those in the base game, but maybe things like dining and some active careers or opening a business might get included in the basegame. They haven't done a Generations EP for TS4 (yet.....maybe.....), but I think that would be good to add to TS5's basegame too.

What is your opinion of the experimental packs in TS4? Which do you think were successful enough to possibly get their own expansion packs for TS5?

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

Nope. That would work against their business model. I do think they’ll prioritize whatever is more popular and mix and match well liked features from different EPs the way it was done in previous iterations. E.g. building a servo in TS4’s DU was a feature in TS3’s Ambitions.

Personally I wish for seasons to be shipped with BG, but the reason they never did is because older machines wouldn’t be able to handle it as well as more robust systems. Now, if TS5’s system requirements are set to be more demanding in comparison to earlier titles, then there is a possibility they’d add weather or pets to base game. But again, I can’t see them changing their business model for this since we’re used to its mechanics.

We’ll have to see. If in the future competition in the life simulator genre does implement these elements as part of basegame, then EA/Maxis may have to shake things up a little.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member

Nope. That would work against their business model. I do think they’ll prioritize whatever is more popular and mix and match well liked features from different EPs the way it was done in previous iterations. E.g. building a servo in TS4’s DU was a feature in TS3’s Ambitions.

Personally I wish for seasons to be shipped with BG, but the reason they never did is because older machines wouldn’t be able to handle it as well as more robust systems. Now, if TS5’s system requirements are set to be more demanding in comparison to earlier titles, then there is a possibility they’d add weather or pets to base game. But again, I can’t see them changing their business model for this since we’re used to its mechanics.

We’ll have to see. If in the future competition in the life simulator genre does implement these elements as part of basegame, then EA/Maxis may have to shake things up a little.

This is what I’m thinking. I don’t think EA would suddenly decide to start including profitable DLC in the base game out of the goodness of their hearts - they are way too greedy for that. But if they have competition, that’s another story. Because if someone is looking to buy a life sim the first thing they’re gonna do is google “[Other Game] vs The Sims”.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

Pets and Seasons expansion packs are always the most popular and profitable for them so I don't think they will include those in the base game, but maybe things like dining and some active careers or opening a business might get included in the basegame. They haven't done a Generations EP for TS4 (yet.....maybe.....), but I think that would be good to add to TS5's basegame too.

What is your opinion of the experimental packs in TS4? Which do you think were successful enough to possibly get their own expansion packs for TS5?

We had shopping in TS2 basegame, you couldn't own the shop, but you could shop for groceries and I think clothing. Same with cars, there were cars as taxis and for work carpool, but you couldn't own them. So maybe they could take a similar approach in TS5, and include some parts of a feature in basegame and then fully develop it in a later EP. They could include seasons effects like rain in a world that is set somewhere where it doesn't snow for example. As for the experimental packs in TS4, they don't have that many to form an opinion yet, so who knows.

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

Right now not good... Strangerville is nice but not exactly juicy enough for sandbox play. Eco Lifestyle has good concepts but was bad implemented imo. We still have to see what new experimental packs are still to come and if they're going to tweak EL so that it starts making some sense in the way it is implemented... For now i think they'll need to profit on the regular packs...
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    I don't expect pets to be included because they're quite costly to animate and design, but I do expect some BASIC weather effects like rain. The Sims 2 base game was supposed to have rain, and the console port has it. They can still release a Seasons EP with snow and holidays and other weather types like hail.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    For me I am kind of glad companies are standing up to Apple. Those phones alone cost a fortune and updates are known to slow their phones to force people to upgrade their phones. They are kind of the big giants like Disney where you scratch your head wondering why they are asking for more.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Looks like the court is leaning in favor of the game developers who are using the Unreal Engine for their games more than anything else, which to me is good news!

Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers:
    “I can tell you right now that I am inclined not to grant relief with respect to the games, but I am inclined to grant relief with respect to the Unreal Engine...."

This is in regard to Epic's request to have their own games made accessible again at Apple's app store and to allow Apple's various OSs for computers and mobile devices to be made accessible to the Unreal Engine so that game developers can develop their games for Mac and Apple devices.

Her reasoning behind this statement is based on two considerations:
    • harm that would come to Epic’s own games, which have been taken out of the App Store
    • harm that would come to the hundreds of other games that would be hurt if Epic was unable to maintain its Unreal Engine software because Apple terminated all of the company’s Apple developer contracts.

While she wasn't inclined to grant Epic's request to have their games restored to Apple's app store, she wasn't going to let Apple skate by either.

Because Apple's app store is the only market where Apple device users can purchase apps, she questions the 30% cut that Apple receives from all purchase transactions, which to her appears quite arbitrary.

She asks,
    “There is no competition. The question is, without competition, where does the 30% (App Store commission) come from? Why isn’t it 10? 20? How is the consumer benefiting from, you (Apple) get to say what you want it to be?”

Richard Doren, counsel for Apple argued that consumers have a choice between purchasing an Android or purchasing an Apple device, stating that competition exists in this foremarket.

The judge fired back that there is "plenty of economic theory" that shows that brand switching imposes a cost on consumers who make that change (I agree with this!).

Doren, undaunted, stated that he will prove that people switch brands all the time (to show costs of that action are a minimal impact) later in the trial.

Judge Gonzalez Rogers said, “It’ll be interesting, like I said....”

So far, the point tally is:

Game developers (non-Epic) = +1
    Epic = 0
    Apple = 0

So if TS5 is made with the Unreal Engine 4, Mac users can play the game! Also EA's other games made with UE! I'll keep reporting on this until final outcome, because I want to see what happens with Apple's 30% cut on all app sales transactions. I also love the legal drama, one of my guilty pleasures, lol!

Scobre wrote: »
    For me I am kind of glad companies are standing up to Apple. Those phones alone cost a fortune and updates are known to slow their phones to force people to upgrade their phones. They are kind of the big giants like Disney where you scratch your head wondering why they are asking for more.

I'm not taking any sides. They're both greedy corporations! Also Epic has ulterior motives for starting this fight. They're not doing this for all the game developers who use their Unreal Engine but for their own agenda. This is just the beginning. Epic will come after other corporations in due time.....

telmarina wrote: »

Right now not good... Strangerville is nice but not exactly juicy enough for sandbox play. Eco Lifestyle has good concepts but was bad implemented imo. We still have to see what new experimental packs are still to come and if they're going to tweak EL so that it starts making some sense in the way it is implemented... For now i think they'll need to profit on the regular packs...

I think they can combine those two experimental packs into one TS5 expansion pack, of course with better and bug-free implementation. And add other stuff to that expansion pack and make it "full" with a lot of variety to draw all kinds of simmers like they used to make them in TS1, TS2 and TS3.

• JackPipsamJackPipsam Posts: 115 Member
    I'd like to see it go open world again, like the Sims 3.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

I'm not taking any sides. They're both greedy corporations! Also Epic has ulterior motives for starting this fight. They're not doing this for all the game developers who use their Unreal Engine but for their own agenda. This is just the beginning. Epic will come after other corporations in due time.....

Actually I am happy how it turned out. Thanks for the update. :)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    On the tweet LGR made about not reviewing the Star Wars game pack, someone else is hoping as I am that The Sims 5 will be made with the Unreal Engine!

I hope Maxis would announce The Sims 5 already and start talking about its features. I think more and more people are weary of TS4 and its weak game engine!

edited September 2020
    I'm posting all this to get ready for possible modding if The Sims 5 will be made with the Unreal Engine 4:

1) Fanatical is celebrating International Day of the Programmer with a FREE 3-book bundle! This is a limited time offer so please get it soon! You have only four days left as of the time of this posting.

It features three programming languages, but for The Sims 5 if made with UE4, it has "Beginning C++ Game Programming - Second Edition". It will teach you C++ while building several games! So not only will you learn the language but coding as it pertains to development of games!

2) If you get the free bundle, you will also receive a 20% off coupon for other Packt bundles at Fanatical. There are a lot of great bundles but here are two that could help with modding for the game (or even get you to create your own life simulation game, lol!)

I think the free C++ book is great for beginners, but to create more complex mods, this bundle could take you to the higher levels of coding! Plus you need C++ anyway if The Sims 5 will be made with UE4.

3) There's also an Unreal Engine bundle of course!

It covers everything you would need to know about the various parts of the Unreal Engine and how to put it all together to make your games. It has a scripting system called Blueprints that you can use without even knowing C++ or any other programming language, but using C++ with it makes your games or mods even better!

As I had mentioned before, there are other great Packt bundles you can look through and consider purchasing, but I think these are the most pertinent to modding The Sims 5 if made with the Unreal Engine 4!

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    edited September 2020
    That's way over my head, I only make original game assets using animations and interactions from the game. I don't do modding at all and I feel lucky if I can change the tuning of an object and it actually works. LOL

But that might be really useful for people who are interested in learning coding and programming.

Although someone on another thread (can't remember which one because there's so many about TS5) said she would be surprised if TS5 isn't being built on the Frostbite engine.
    edited September 2020
    That's way over my head, I only make original game assets using animations and interactions from the game. I don't do modding at all and I feel lucky if I can change the tuning of an object and it actually works. LOL

But that might be really useful for people who are interested in learning coding and programming.

Although someone on another thread (can't remember which one because there's so many about TS5) said she would be surprised if TS5 isn't being built on the Frostbite engine.

There's also a Blender bundle at Fanatical. It was too broad in scope so I didn't post about it. It might be something you can look at. I'll keep a look out for better Blender bundles and post them here.

With the Unreal Engine, it is still speculation at this point, but it doesn't hurt - there are lots of other games made with UE so it's not entirely a waste if TS5 isn't made in UE4. (People of the Newbery is made with UE4, for example, and he said that he will allow modding in the future.) C++ is also pretty useful too for creating mods in other game engines including Frostbite.

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Yeah I create my meshes in blender already. Wonder what the bundle is, blender is free already. Maybe it has some add-ons that you typically have to pay for.
    edited September 2020
    Yeah I create my meshes in blender already. Wonder what the bundle is, blender is free already. Maybe it has some add-ons that you typically have to pay for.

I didn't think the bundle had enough information in its books that would be helpful for game CC or animation modding. A lot of it was about video production and 3D printing projects.

I also took a look at the Frostbite engine and it's okay. It doesn't mention anything about AI though and that's one of the most important features of a life simulation game.

• NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    There's a new posting on EA careers, and some of the old postings have been removed. So the positions must be filled now. Here is the posting for the new opening:
    wrote:

Sr. Technical Artist

Job Summary

Maxis is looking for a Technical Artist - Generalist. We are gearing up for our next productions and we need some passionate teammates to work with us in bringing our new characters & worlds to life. If you are passionate about bringing the latest trends in technology to bear against your craft, and working with others to develop outstanding experiences for new IPs … come join our team.

You will report to a Technical Art Director at Maxis.

Responsibilities

Work with Technical & Art Directors, Engineers, Character & World Leads to develop industry-leading content pipelines .
    Develop tools and workflows to empower world, character, and animation artists to create excellent content.
    Create and maintain rigs and part systems for characters and animated objects.
    Work with TDs and TADs to develop content performance plans, and monitor performance to provide performance guidance, based on established metrics and reporting methods
    Develop tools, pipelines, & processes for performance management aligned towards meeting production goals.
    Firefight production issues, investigating hot issues and resolving roadblocks.
    Work with Technical Art partners across EA to develop and share pipelines and best practices.
    Keep up with the latest trends and technical tools for developing content and inspire others thru knowledge sharing.
    Qualifications and Skills

6+ years of tech art, tech animation, rigging, or world development experience in Maya for video games.
    Served as a Senior Tech Artist on a published or soon to be published video game project.
    Significant experience working in Unreal Editor.
    Expert proficiency with Maya and modern DCC applications.
    Proficiency in Python & Mel (C# and other languages a plus.)
    Experience writing tools to aid animators, character, and object artist workflows.
    In depth experience creating and maintaining high-end character rigs.
    Experience working with keyframe animation and motion capture data, troubleshooting motion data issues, and ensuring animation best practices.
    Understanding of real-time animation systems and developing within technical limitations of a range of platforms (pc, mobile, console, etc).
    Experience developing and maintaining animation blend trees.
    Collaborate across multiple disciplines to achieve team technical goals.
    Ability to communicate through solid documentation of developed pipelines and workflows.
    Experience in Perforce or other version control software.
    Well versed in Shotgun, Jira or other bug tracking and project management software.
    Bonus Qualifications

Development experience on next-gen console hardware (XB1/PS4).
    Experience with iOS/Android.
    Experience with Blueprint and/or asset scripting.
    The ability to read and write shader source code using HLSL or GLSL.
    Background in photography, painting, concept art, or animation.
    Experience with shader networks and procedural texturing.
    Experience with PBR rendering and material / light interactions.
    Skills in Substance Designer & Painter.
    Houdini procedural workflow experience.

Hm hm hm.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    I'm still like...is new IP TS5 or is new IP like...a spin-off game? I think it could be either, but what new IP would Maxis make up?
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I'm still like...is new IP TS5 or is new IP like...a spin-off game? I think it could be either, but what new IP would Maxis make up?

Isn't new IP a completely new title that has no connection to any other of their products?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?