Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Another Patch? Oh, Please, No…

Comments

• MissElphebaMissElpheba Posts: 3,810 Member
    Justin wrote: »
    FbsrbRn.jpg

Does this mean we have to pay? I’m confused. If we have to pay then I’m done with the sims

No. Any games you own, you own. End of. Any games you want to "rent" from their collection, you pay to access. Just like Xbox pass or several other gaming platforms. If you didn't already own the sims, you could play the base game with your EA sub. It has no impact on games you own.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Justin wrote: »
    FbsrbRn.jpg

Does this mean we have to pay? I’m confused. If we have to pay then I’m done with the sims

No you don't have to pay. It's like Playstation Now or whatitscalled that Xbox has. Basically a subscription service that either give you rebates on new games or ability to play games for free (but losing them if you stop subscribing).

But it's a choice.

HOWEVER: They just want a guaranteed revenue via subscription. It is safer than depending on game sales; individual success of titles becomes more irrelevant. And of couse at the same time the pressure to actually give players what they want is lowered since just like with Netflix or Spotify a few dollars a month is just a few dollars a month and most people can go several years without using a service at all without bothering to unsubscribe...

The harsh reality is that if they can get half the players now having any titles on Origin to subscribe to the $5 service, they can basically stop giving a flying ,,,, about quality, ever again.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited September 2020
    @MissElpheba

Thank you for the clarification. I only play sims games and started with discs and ended up with some series on digital where the lines appear to be blurred about what a player actually owns :)

@Beardedgeek

I am so sick of this subscription B S popping up everywhere. I come from a time where you bought something and you owned it and while I quite understand the business practice for all the reasons you outline I will resist it until there is no other option because I refuse to comply.

• BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    edited September 2020
    @SPARKY1922 & @Justin the pay for EA Play has been a thing for ages. You don't "pay" to play your games you own.
    GYjOC2P.png
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
    Oops sorry missed that others answered for you already. Keep Simming
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
    Hi @Bluegayle

No worries-)

A little off topic but after purchasing my Microsoft office outright I continually receive upgrade to cloud and monthly fees messages to the point of despair as it happens so much so i really don't want EA (or any other company) pushing their stuff on me either for the same thing..
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    How will you be getting new packs thru that new platform? I understand that once you own what you do, you can access it free as usual and pay to rent others you don't own, but how will that work in buying new packs to add on?

It took 6 hours to get a repair to work, was up till 1am ............
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited September 2020
    Thank you for the clarification @MissElpheba & @Beardedgeek ! That article worried me a bit. All I really own is dragon age & the sims games on there.
    Hi @smurfy77

Heck that's awful. I really feel for you there is nothing worse when you just want to get on and play your game..
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    Hi @smurfy77

Heck that's awful. I really feel for you there is nothing worse when you just want to get on and play your game..

Thank you, I was not even gonna do it until a better patch came around, but I wanted to make and upload Fall Sims and Fall rooms, this is only game I play anymore and im about ready to just find something else
    @smurfy77

Believe me I totally understand as I still play every series and every one has their own quirks but because there is nothing like this game elsewhere at the moment I persevere and find mods to help me play my game the way I want to..I have spent some considerable time sorting out every single world with the builds/sims I want in my game after Eco living basically destroyed it and intend to start a new folder but play offline and add all save/backup builds/sims back into the tray files in the hope this will resolve update/patch issues so I hope you can find your own way around your particular issues and get some game joy back regardless of which way you manage to achieve that :)
    @smurfy77

Believe me I totally understand as I still play every series and every one has their own quirks but because there is nothing like this game elsewhere at the moment I persevere and find mods to help me play my game the way I want to..I have spent some considerable time sorting out every single world with the builds/sims I want in my game after Eco living basically destroyed it and intend to start a new folder but play offline and add all save/backup builds/sims back into the tray files in the hope this will resolve update/patch issues so I hope you can find your own way around your particular issues and get some game joy back regardless of which way you manage to achieve that :)

EL did for me too, I had to disable it, and if I could go back and undo this patch I would. I agree with all you said, and will be adding more mods than normally would to fix parts of the game more. Ive tried without and its sad that you need any much less as many as is needed in mods to fix game, already need so much to add gameplay. Im about to go from just a few mods to a bunch. Happy Simming, and thank you so much for your words. I love playing, I need this outlet, I have a hard time without it. Thank you so much for being so nice.
    edited September 2020
    @smurfy77

You are welcome. I understand the need to vent sometimes to allow us to move on with the inevitable fixes we know in our hearts we are going to make after the pretense to ourselves that we are not going to play anymore :) I swear I have blamed a friend for years because she was the one that introduced me to the game that I have been addicted to ever since ;)

Also I never play in the Eco worlds in case I do something wrong that sets everything off again so I turn it off in game which does not always work and add a a handful of eco mods that finally that stopped the madness in other worlds I like to play in :)
    Hi @Bluegayle

No worries-)

A little off topic but after purchasing my Microsoft office outright I continually receive upgrade to cloud and monthly fees messages to the point of despair as it happens so much so i really don't want EA (or any other company) pushing their stuff on me either for the same thing..

Ahhh the dreaded upgrade notices. I do empathize. LOL
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Doxiedog6Doxiedog6 Posts: 47 Member
    edited September 2020
    Since maybe 2 updates ago to origin when I repair my game it takes forever. The first time it took several hours. Is anybody else experiencing this? It never took so long before, almost like from afresh install.
    Doxiedog6 wrote: »
    Since maybe 2 updates ago to origin when I repair my game it takes forever. The first time it took several hours. Is anybody else experiencing this? It never took so long before, almost like from afresh install.

Mine took 6 hours the night before
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    1. I take it from reading these posts, that we can still play thru Origin and not thru EA Desktop?
    2. Only the ones who don't own the games, can get the subscription to pay to play them? (I know this is wrong, not sure how to word it) :D
    3. The ability to connect with friends across platforms? (I only play sims and I absolutely don't have/want/need friends).
    4. So is the 10% off Origin purchases suppose to make up for paying the subscription?
    5. Is anyone interested and willing to pay for this?
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Doxiedog6 wrote: »

Oh yes. I thought my internet was causing an issue. I'm glad to see it's not just me.
    How is using this new desktop app going to work when getting new packs? I know if you have subscription you get access to those as long as you have subscription, but will there still be the option to get your pack without getting a subscription so that you own the pack like normal?
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    smurfy77 wrote: »
    How is using this new desktop app going to work when getting new packs? I know if you have subscription you get access to those as long as you have subscription, but will there still be the option to get your pack without getting a subscription so that you own the pack like normal?

No worries. As I said it will be completely optional. However I suspect just like with Xbox it will show two prices, the most prominent being the one that is lower, pointing out how much money you'll save with a subscription.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    smurfy77 wrote: »

No worries. As I said it will be completely optional. However I suspect just like with Xbox it will show two prices, the most prominent being the one that is lower, pointing out how much money you'll save with a subscription.

Thank you so much! I kind of figured they'd do something to try to encourage subscriptions
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited September 2020
    1. I take it from reading these posts, that we can still play thru Origin and not thru EA Desktop?
    2. Only the ones who don't own the games, can get the subscription to pay to play them? (I know this is wrong, not sure how to word it) :D
    3. The ability to connect with friends across platforms? (I only play sims and I absolutely don't have/want/need friends).
    4. So is the 10% off Origin purchases suppose to make up for paying the subscription?

Let me see if I can answer these for you.

1. For the Moment, EA Desktop itself is still in Beta. You can sign up to try it out (EA Desktop Beta) if you want to but you can stick to Origin for now. Once EA Desktop has a release version, there will be no more Origin. EA Desktop replaces Origin. Look at it as a new Origin Version with a rename to EA Desktop.

So basically, during Sims 3 we had EA Download Manager, that was replaced by Origin and now it's being replaced by EA Desktop. You don't have to pay anything for it and it will be the same as if playing with Origin (there will be of course some difference and I've been using it for a while now and while there's still lots missing, it feels sleeker and faster). I don't know how the end product will look like and what you can and can't do but it's a replacement for Origin.

2. The Subscription thing isn't new either. Before there was Origin Access and Origin Access Premiere. Now it's called EA Play and EA Play Pro. EA Play give you access to a bunch of game for a monthly fee for $4.99, EA Play Pro gives you access to ALL EA games plus many more (like for example Two Point Hospital) for I think it's $15 monthly. You can play all EA Games when they get released and you don't have to pay extra. You don't own them, but you can play them for free while you have the subscription. The games you buy, you can play without the subscription with no issues. You bought them. You can get the subscription any time you want. Sims 4 is a bit specially cause only a couple DLC is included in EA Play Pro, so you will still need to buy those.

There's a list of games available with both subscriptions: https://www.ea.com/ea-play#origin

3. Do you mean between Origin and EA Desktop ? Since EA Desktop will replace Origin somewhere down the line, that's not necessary but currently it doesn't matter where you add them, you see them in both. Not sure how it will work for Steam or other platforms. You might be able to connect those as well.

4. No, it's an extra bonus. The subscription is for the ability to play many games without having to buy them. This is great for example if you want to try a few games before buying or if it's something that's not that long lasting and is played through in a few hours.

5. Yes, many people are. But it's really only for folks that like to play multiple games. If you're just about one game, it's not worth it.

Hope that answers your questions. If not, please tag me in your answer (as I'm not around here as often as I used to and miss it)

If you want to know some stuff (bugs/issues/feedback) or try it out yourself, there's some info here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-Desktop/ct-p/ea-desktop-en

You'll still need Origin running next to it and you can choose which one you want to run
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

crinrict wrote: »

Let me see if I can answer these for you.

1. For the Moment, EA Desktop itself is still in Beta. You can sign up to try it out (EA Desktop Beta) if you want to but you can stick to Origin for now. Once EA Desktop has a release version, there will be no more Origin. EA Desktop replaces Origin. Look at it as a new Origin Version with a rename to EA Desktop.

So basically, during Sims 3 we had EA Download Manager, that was replaced by Origin and now it's being replaced by EA Desktop. You don't have to pay anything for it and it will be the same as if playing with Origin (there will be of course some difference and I've been using it for a while now and while there's still lots missing, it feels sleeker and faster). I don't know how the end product will look like and what you can and can't do but it's a replacement for Origin.

2. The Subscription thing isn't new either. Before there was Origin Access and Origin Access Premiere. Now it's called EA Play and EA Play Pro. EA Play give you access to a bunch of game for a monthly fee for $4.99, EA Play Pro gives you access to ALL EA games plus many more (like for example Two Point Hospital) for I think it's $15 monthly. You can play all EA Games when they get released and you don't have to pay extra. You don't own them, but you can play them for free while you have the subscription. The games you buy, you can play without the subscription with no issues. You bought them. You can get the subscription any time you want. Sims 4 is a bit specially cause only a couple DLC is included in EA Play Pro, so you will still need to buy those.

There's a list of games available with both subscriptions: https://www.ea.com/ea-play#origin

3. Do you mean between Origin and EA Desktop ? Since EA Desktop will replace Origin somewhere down the line, that's not necessary but currently it doesn't matter where you add them, you see them in both. Not sure how it will work for Steam or other platforms. You might be able to connect those as well.

4. No, it's an extra bonus. The subscription is for the ability to play many games without having to buy them. This is great for example if you want to try a few games before buying or if it's something that's not that long lasting and is played through in a few hours.

5. Yes, many people are. But it's really only for folks that like to play multiple games. If you're just about one game, it's not worth it.

Hope that answers your questions. If not, please tag me in your answer (as I'm not around here as often as I used to and miss it)

If you want to know some stuff (bugs/issues/feedback) or try it out yourself, there's some info here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-Desktop/ct-p/ea-desktop-en

You'll still need Origin running next to it and you can choose which one you want to run

Thank you Crinrict, you are always so helpful. I know you answered mine and hope it helped others too, thanks for all the help that you do!
    Thanks from me too @crinrict :)
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    No prob.

Let me know if you have further question. Can't answer all of them but hopefully I can help understand what this is about :D
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial