Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Another Patch? Oh, Please, No…

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I seriously don't get the panic about this?

1. It's just a re-branding of Origin because Origin is bad, everyone think it's bad and they've failed to fix it.
    2. Um... "tell you how much you've been playing"? That's NOT new. Origin does it right now. It says how many hours you have played right there on the game page. So does Steam. And GOG. And Epic. And the Xbox companion app if you play Xbox games on your PC. I am not sure if Battle.Net does it but I THINK so.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    If it's anything like the new Microsoft Edge I would wait until it becomes inevitable and don't download the Beta, which it is. Edge messed up all my favorite site urls. Make a backup before downloading! (that goes for Edge too). :#<3
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member

1. It's just a re-branding of Origin because Origin is bad, everyone think it's bad and they've failed to fix it.
    2. Um... "tell you how much you've been playing"? That's NOT new. Origin does it right now. It says how many hours you have played right there on the game page. So does Steam. And GOG. And Epic. And the Xbox companion app if you play Xbox games on your PC. I am not sure if Battle.Net does it but I THINK so.

I believe that many simmers refer to play off line, so those counted hours (and access to how we play) is not accurate. I laugh every time I see how few hrs Origin says I played, because I would need to multiply that with hundreds.

My concern is whether the EA app will perform background tasks while I'm playing, tasks that might lag my poor computer. This is the main reason I play off line. I'm not interested in online features like chatting with "my friends" or knowing when they log in or what game thy currently play, but mostly I know that online apps will perform stuff while I play my game, meaning that occasionally the game will freeze for a second. I can't risk that while say recording a video. The app will move these tasks even closer to my game, and if I can't turn those tasks off, I might quit playing sims.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,408 Member

I believe that many simmers refer to play off line, so those counted hours (and access to how we play) is not accurate. I laugh every time I see how few hrs Origin says I played, because I would need to multiply that with hundreds.

My concern is whether the EA app will perform background tasks while I'm playing, tasks that might lag my poor computer. This is the main reason I play off line. I'm not interested in online features like chatting with "my friends" or knowing when they log in or what game thy currently play, but mostly I know that online apps will perform stuff while I play my game, meaning that occasionally the game will freeze for a second. I can't risk that while say recording a video. The app will move these tasks even closer to my game, and if I can't turn those tasks off, I might quit playing sims.

That is why according to origin I have no friends. :p . I don't link to other people's profiles because I don't see the benefits from it for playing the sims. I only connect online because of the gallery, otherwise I would play offline 100%.

Does anyone know if the origin game cards which can be bought at local stores also get rebranded? Can I still use them?

Steam is the opposite: it counts way too many hours because it basically counts everything involved with the game as playing, even downloading updates for it. Basically anything that activates the game files in any way. So when it says I have 1400 hours in Fallout 4 I probably only have 1100... ;)
    I'm all for that EA gets info on *how* we play the game, though, and I guess that is their main reason for logging us. Aside of "personalized ads" of course, along with the *big data*. Say, if hardly anyone spend time at SIXAM (I have still not been there, although I really want to, I just seem to forget), they might avoid including a similar destination with future packs and rather focus on other features. EA probably keep stats on what features of the world we actually use, perhaps they also know the content of our mods folder. Not per simmer, but as generic stats.

I expect Origin to collect tons of info from my computer every time I play. When I shut down the game, it takes several minutes while my processor goes crazy - even if I just saved the game and actually could just close it promptly. Then, after the game is closed, I need to cliose Origin, which also takes a while, and when Origin is closed, I need to wait for a new "login to Origin" popup to load - which takes a while, too. A lot of clicking and waiting in order to close my saved game. It should not be like that, it's very annoying waiting for all this especially if I'm about to close my computer. I must wait for EA/Origin to perform tons of tasks before I can close it all down. So - if a new EA app makes this easier, without adding any game lagging, it'll be good.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I'm all for that EA gets info on *how* we play the game, though, and I guess that is their main reason for logging us. Aside of "personalized ads" of course, along with the *big data*. Say, if hardly anyone spend time at SIXAM (I have still not been there, although I really want to, I just seem to forget), they might avoid including a similar destination with future packs and rather focus on other features. EA probably keep stats on what features of the world we actually use, perhaps they also know the content of our mods folder. Not per simmer, but as generic stats.

I expect Origin to collect tons of info from my computer every time I play. When I shut down the game, it takes several minutes while my processor goes crazy - even if I just saved the game and actually could just close it promptly. Then, after the game is closed, I need to cliose Origin, which also takes a while, and when Origin is closed, I need to wait for a new "login to Origin" popup to load - which takes a while, too. A lot of clicking and waiting in order to close my saved game. It should not be like that, it's very annoying waiting for all this especially if I'm about to close my computer. I must wait for EA/Origin to perform tons of tasks before I can close it all down. So - if a new EA app makes this easier, without adding any game lagging, it'll be good.

I've removed everything I possibly can from my profile in Origin snooping on what I do. I know they don't take any notice of me except for paying in cash and even then they don't accept that I have bought lots of Sims 3 stuff, like all the Worlds. I take out my card details too every time I buy something. I don't trust any paysite's security these days.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

If you start your game from Desktop, Origin doesn't run in the background. You only get the pop-up window to log in and then you have only the game running.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @crocobaura

would you mind explaining a little more how to run the game from my desktop as I don't have an S4 icon to click like I do with the other 2 sims games. Does this mean I can play offline doing it that way as well?
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @crocobaura

would you mind explaining a little more how to run the game from my desktop as I don't have an S4 icon to click like I do with the other 2 sims games. Does this mean I can play offline doing it that way as well?

@SPARKY1922 Check out the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixpwg9GaxKQ
    @crocobaura

Thank you :)
    I do start game from desktop. First I start Origin, then set Origin to offline mode. Then I start the game. This way I don't need to run any updates/patches until I want to.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I think my hours are overestimated a bit. Not too much, says 2500 but the thing is, I get into the game and then start doing dishes or checking emails and it sits there loaded but paused for hours at a time before I actually come play haha. I wish it'd count active hours as in, stop counting if you haven't touched the computer mouse in 5 minutes or something haha
    I do start game from desktop. First I start Origin, then set Origin to offline mode. Then I start the game. This way I don't need to run any updates/patches until I want to.

Don't click on Origin, just the TS4 icon. It will start the game in offline mode by default and it will not run Origin in the background while you play.
    I'm the opposite; I start Origin (or Steam) first, then the game from that. I hate having icons on my desktop and prefer my taskbar to be as empty as possible too, so having one icon for Steam, one for Origin and one for Epic is better than 15 different icons for different games.
    crocobaura wrote: »

Don't click on Origin, just the TS4 icon. It will start the game in offline mode by default and it will not run Origin in the background while you play.

Hm, I must have an old set up with not optimal address. If I click only the desktop game icon, Origin starts up and the game gets online. I don't mind clicking both though :)
    @Simmerville

Thanks for the info :)
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    edited September 2020
    I finally updated patch today, few minutes ago after I took out all mods and CC, are there any issues related with patch ( not bc of mods or CC bc ill check those before re-adding) just wanna be prepared, hope I made a good choice
    Post edited by smurfy77 on
    edited September 2020
    Well it seems that it took a really long time to even update, shoulda stopped it there, I always run a repair after a patch or before a new pack ( after its installed) and it keeps messing up just on that, saying its paused then fails...i just wanted the update so I could use the gallery again since Ive been playing offline, and im not sure if its going to mess up my game now. I knew from all the things people had said about problems they had, I should have waited 😞😭
    smurfy77 wrote: »
    Well it seems that it took a really long time to even update, shoulda stopped it there, I always run a repair after a patch or before a new pack ( after its installed) and it keeps messing up just on that, saying its paused then fails...i just wanted the update so I could use the gallery again since Ive been playing offline, and im not sure if its going to mess up my game now. I knew from all the things people had said about problems they had, I should have waited 😞😭

I never had problems installing the patches. They may pause and seem like they are not completing the install, but then I just wait some more and it continues. A few times the install was completed, but the game could not be started, I just restarted my computer and Origin did a small extra install, and everything was fine.

Didn't install the latest ptch yet, simply because my game works fine and I don't need what's fixed/added this very minute ;)
    smurfy77 wrote: »

I never had problems installing the patches. They may pause and seem like they are not completing the install, but then I just wait some more and it continues. A few times the install was completed, but the game could not be started, I just restarted my computer and Origin did a small extra install, and everything was fine.

Didn't install the latest ptch yet, simply because my game works fine and I don't need what's fixed/added this very minute ;)

Thank you so much! The patch took a while but went, its just taking some trouble running repair, hopefully will be okay, thank you so much, it just had me freaked out a bit lol. I already had to stop using my gaming laptop, some issue making my laptop lose charge only wgen in Sims, so I had to start all new saves on my husbands dinosaur laptop but at least lets me play. Looked over repair is done, going to do one more to ease my mind lol, thank you again so much
    edited September 2020
    The 2nd repair is trying not to work, it is stopping and then wont start back, then a faded second Origin icon appeared at tge bottom for a moment then flickered and was back to just one, all Ive done is mice mouse to keep from windowing out. I really wish I hadn't gotten this patch

Edut: it still isn't finished with repair, 4 and half hours.....😕🙄
    Post edited by smurfy77 on
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,408 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

When I click on the TS4 icon, it starts origin first and then loads the game. I have to click less but it runs in the background anyway.
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    FbsrbRn.jpg

Does this mean we have to pay? I’m confused. If we have to pay then I’m done with the sims
    edited September 2020
    @Justin

I am confused about it too however if it does involve yet further payments after all I have personally spent on Sims games throughout my life I will be out too and just play my S3&2 on disc..