Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you want for improved teens

Comments

• tatselktatselk Posts: 519 Member
    1. Ability to enter different types of schools (e.g. boarding school, military school) which can impact the types of University courses your Sim can gain acceptance into and/or the level at which your Sim enter a career

2. Ability to choose extra elective modules to study (e.g. doing these modules can help improve Sims' school performance, as well as their chances of getting scholarships/acceptance into University)

3. More after-school activities which should matter more (i.e. less like the Scouts from Seasons and more like the Organisations from Discover University) (e.g. if you were in Art Club as a teen, you are more likely to gain acceptance into related University courses like Fine Arts or Art History or begin a related career at a higher level)

4. Teen-specific events (e.g. field trips, graduation, formal dances, sleepovers)

6. Teen-specific aspirations which can be modeled on cliques/stereotypes (e.g. a Geek King/Queen aspiration can include goals like getting an A in high school and becoming a senior member of the Science Society).
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Active school system, hormones and growing pains and acne and learning how to shave and getting body hair for the first time. Learning to drive and having some work from home part time jobs. It would be neat to have online schooling too and prep for college with classes. I would love a mall lot for them to visit too. I would like them to sneak out and got caught by police again. I would like some activities for them to do as well like going to dances and sleepovers and sports games. I think it would be good for them to deal with some consequences too like with cyberbullying and dealing with fear and enduring emotional struggles. I find teenagers is an important stage in social skills and how they will interact with people later on in life.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    The teens should be a little shorter than the young adults. Also, it would be nice if the teens had their own personality & look from the young adults.
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    They should act different, look different, and do different things than adults and children. That would make it a meaningful life stage. Other versions had teens that looked younger, shorter, etc. Why is TS4 so BAD AT THIS? How lazy are we being with details, Team?

They should have different aspirations (oh yeah, we don't have aspirations so...) like having a first kiss, a relationship, or becoming valedictorian, or pulling pranks, or sneaking out, or trying "juice," etc. These should be dictated by their personalities (oh yeah, no personalities).

They should have special events, like in TS 3: prom, homecoming, sports events, graduation.

It's not even hard to think of this, and HELLO, THIS IS WHAT YOUR PREVIOUS FRANCHISES HAD. But they do not care that teens are indistinguishable from adults and therefore lack all meaning. They just don't.
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    The height arguments about teens honestly don't make any sense... because there are actually A LOT of teenagers who are taller than their parents (especially boys). Why do teens have to be shorter by default? Making them have younger looking bodies and faces is one thing... but height? That's not exactly set in stone.

it makes perfect sense -- Sims heights in no way represent real life. Every single sim from teen on is the exact same height. I'd love height realism, but since we don't have it, we can use height for other purposes, like signifying less maturity.

This is exactly how I feel. It's not a matter of 'realism.' It's that height in The Sims is used (or at least was used) to visibly differentiate between ages/life stages. I for one like that differentiation and would prefer to have it back again.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    I'm a high school teacher and would love to see teens improved in the game. My students are heavily involved in clubs and sports. Dances are a big deal. They always do huge proposals for these dances. My kids make banners, bring flowers, etc. to ask their dates to the dances. We have three major ones every year: homecoming, Sadie Hawkins, and prom. Our school also hosts a massive Halloween carnival with games, food, trick-or-treating, and a haunted house run by students. They love to play pranks (especially the senior prank). Themed spirit weeks happen prior to dances, winter break, and graduation. It would be cool to send them to school in a costume or pajamas. Parties are also common.

Teens are emotional and have mood swings. One day they're your best friend, and the next day they hate the world. Most of them are impulsive and say or do things before they think it through. Hygiene is an issue for some of them, and it leads to really bad b.o. and acne. The game could possibly reflect this with quicker deterioration of hygiene for teens only. They can add acne cream or face wash and spray deodorant to the game. Haha. They are also extremely passionate about their interests and fandoms.

I'd love to see a return of sneaking out, running away, and school events. Different school types would also be awesome. I'd even say that the addition of a trade/career/performing arts school would be cool. Kids could select a program and gain some skills from it. I don't know. Kids need more to do and more places to go. It would also be the perfect time to introduce driveable cars into the game, so teens can learn to drive, go on dates, or restore an old car with or without the help of a parent. Maybe even add a Sonic Burger type restaurant where Sims on roller skates deliver food to cars. My students usually work jobs at the mall or a fast food joint. Maybe a babysitting career can be added for teens. Sorry for the long post. I know that this is pretty much all wishful thinking.
  • RBLamberthRBLamberth Posts: 12 New Member
    There's special traits only available for toddlers. Couldn't there be special ones for teenagers? I think like rebel, emo, gamer, lots of popular, or other traits. A lot of teenagers is often going through a stage and just because they are emo as a teen they don't have to be gloomy as an adult....
    I know this probably also is about kids but im gonna say it anyway. It would be so nice if the kids/teens learned skills in school! o_o
    > @Scobre said:
    > Active school system, hormones and growing pains and acne and learning how to shave and getting body hair for the first time. Learning to drive and having some work from home part time jobs. It would be neat to have online schooling too and prep for college with classes. I would love a mall lot for them to visit too. I would like them to sneak out and got caught by police again. I would like some activities for them to do as well like going to dances and sleepovers and sports games. I think it would be good for them to deal with some consequences too like with cyberbullying and dealing with fear and enduring emotional struggles. I find teenagers is an important stage in social skills and how they will interact with people later on in life.

Yea i would really love this stuff too. But if they made a mall expansion some of the clothes would have to cost money and not be available for free in CAS. And hey who says that's a bad idea? Right now your sim can walk around in an expensive dress while not being able to pay the bill! And besides all that it would actually give clothing stores from the EP get to work a purpose....
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    - The most important thing to improve teens for me is to be able to follow them with active high school adults have many careers you can follow if you decide but teens are in a rabbit hole
    - Best friends and enemies and unique interactions and systems to support this
    - Learning to drive
    - Teen parties
    - Bad hygiene can cause break outs and cause embarrassment depending on traits
    - Pranks and picking on younger siblings and other teens
    - Prom and graduation not a rabbit hole
    - Rebellious Trait
    - School cliques
    - Teen hobbies
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • sparkietothemaxsparkietothemax Posts: 131 Member
    I want the normal teen stuff. Sims 2 had acne with teens (Totally relatable...) teens having prom, crushes, senior trips (Speaking of, maybe different grade levels? Not sure how it would work but it just popped up in my head) things like that.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Making them different from young adults would be cool enough!
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2020
    Make them more different compared to young adults. Give us the ability to change their height and size.

Give them more stuff to do, and give them unique activities, give them a high school and reasons to hang out at them like high school activities.

Some way for them to stay connected, the only way my teens can find each other are at the park, very late at night or at teen hangout spots.

Give them more stuff to learn, like learning to drive.

Teen parties, like some sort of social event where the parents go away to a rabbit hole and the teens are left alone at home.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I want most of what was already listed. Running way, sneaking out, teen parties when adults are away,teen traits, active highschool with after school activities, optional bullying (for those who might get triggered) high school drama, dances, group pranks they can partake in.

I would live for them to partake in mischief around the school then get detention if caught.
    I would love cliques also.
    And of course teen events.

One thing I don't know is why so many want acne. I like that it's optional now because not all teens have acne. 3 of my siblings including me never had it and one of them did. But he's an adult now and he he still has acne problems as many adults do.

But u would be thrilled if we ever got a teen pack. Love playing teens and kids most
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SimThoughts96SimThoughts96 Posts: 16 Member
    Here's the best solution for dealing with inaccurate teenaged sim portrayal.
    1. Make the current teens the young adults. They might not represent teenagers that well, but as a 24 year old, I feel that teen sims represent 18-25 year olds a lot more accurately than young adult sims. The creators only need to turn high school into community college, add full woohoo and marriage capabilities, lower the minimum age for University access, remove the "ask about woohoo" interaction, remove timeouts, make their bodies a tiny bit more filled out, and add some age appropriate phases.
    2. Make the current young adults regular adults. The current young adults give off a late 20's/early 30's vibe as opposed to a late teens/early-mid 20's vibe.
    3. Make the current adults middle aged adults. They look like they're at least 40 and could be made to look as old as 64/65.
    4. After reformatting the current teen-adult phases, the creators should create a new teen phase with teens who are shorter and younger looking from day 1. These teens shouldn't be allowed to live away from home, should still be allowed to play with toys without the childish trait (some younger teens still play with toys), and should have all the rebelliousness of Sims 3 teens.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    edited December 2020
    I only want more activities like prom for them.

I hate the idea of them having a curfew like in Sims 3. I hated that so much in Sims 3. My sims are busy overachievers who sometimes need to be out late at night, especially if they're vampires. We should have the ability to have punish them or not - the game shouldn't dictate this.
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    I would like after school activities, prom, and graduation. I don't want cliques. We don't have them where I live so it would feel very unreleastic to me and I wouldn't really understand them. Maybe be optional if they do.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
    They love to play pranks (especially the senior prank).

What is the senior prank? Is it the same as a year 13 prank where they will pull a big prank (often with teachers permission) on the last day of school. If it is that would be awesome to have in the Sims.
    Hygiene is an issue for some of them, and it leads to really bad b.o. and acne. The game could possibly reflect this with quicker deterioration of hygiene for teens only.

Just wondering how this could be done without being a problem for mermaids. Hydration acts a lot like Hygiene.
    haneul wrote: »
    I hate the idea of them having a curfew like in Sims 3. I hated that so much in Sims 3. My sims are busy overachievers who sometimes need to be out late at night, especially if they're vampires. We should have the ability to have punish them or not - the game shouldn't dictate this.

Yes, I too found this annoying. I often send my Sims out to do something when they're in a good mood and often forget to look at the clock. Sometimes this happens to be at night. When my Sims are out late it's because I made them. The curfew in Sims 3 took that freedom away and I lost a lot of time having to wait till morning to send them out. I much prefer the way it is in 4, with the parents setting curfew, if you choose to.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited December 2020
    69_Shorter_Teens.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Teens in TS4 should have been shorter, and smaller frames. We should have been able to know they were teens by their behavior. Teens are immature as a general rule. But not so in TS4. Teens have different wants/wishes than adults as a general rule. Is that stereotyping? I guess so, however, it's still based in facts. As an adult, I don't care about what is trending on Twitter, nor instagram, nor who is dating who but a teen might.

I have never liked these tall teens in TS4.
    I've always felt like they skipped over all the life events that should happen between child and young adult and went straight to the day before they will turn into a young adult.

It's plainly obvious to me that EA did not have enough time for teens for the TS4 base game, so they copy pasted young adults and called them teens.

I saw someone with a shorter sim on the forums.
    I thought someone had finally made a decent height mod, so I went off searching for one.
    12_20_20_1_33_56_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I found the Auto Shorter Teens mod.
    It came in two versions. This is the short version, which was too subtle for me, but is should have less glitches.
    You can tell the teen is shorter if you observe carefully.
    12_20_20_1_17_17_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

But that wasn't good enough.
    I went with the shortest version.
    12_20_20_1_35_59_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Now that is obviously a teen and not a young adult.
    12_20_20_1_48_50_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

This is so important to me.
    This stage should give you a clue as to the adult your sim will become.
    A child gives you no idea, and then suddenly they look like an adult when they turn into a TS4 teen.
    12_20_20_1_50_47_PM(1).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

She looks like she has her teen stage to live out instead of looking like she missed most of it.
    12_20_20_1_51_33_PM(1).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I ran her through some tests.
    She's actually brushing her teeth instead of her eyeballs.
    12_20_20_1_58_46_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

But there has to be problems somewhere as a modder can only do so much.
    The problem is with seating. Her derriere clips into the chair.
    12_20_20_1_52_22_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It should be a problem with all seating situations.
    12_20_20_1_59_55_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

A bike should show any problems.
    12_20_20_1_53_23_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Again, the seat, and the leg location here is in the most extreme position.
    That's the worse it can get.
    12_20_20_1_53_41_PM(1).png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Meditation looks really bad.
    Oh well, mine won't meditate. Yoga should be OK... maybe.
    I'll have to give that a test. Better test rock climbing as well.
    12_20_20_3_23_30_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It's pretty obvious who the teen is.
    I do believe I will be keeping this mod even though I wish I did not have to turn to mods for this.
    It makes the game feel more like TS2 and TS3 and I feel like my sims still have more growth and development to go though before they become young adults instead of being instantly there like the tall teens.
    12_20_20_3_37_00_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I want:
    1)Them to be different from adults, shorter. More like YOUNGER teens than older ones, so take away the ability to woohoo, instead of bf/gf's let them have first crushes, first kisses etc. Make them more like 13-15 year olds instead of 18 year olds, we already have young adults who can do all that stuff.
    Make them shorter, not able to wear adult clothes but their own clothing range.
    Give them more things to do like youth clubs, babysitting jobs that aren't rabbit holes, more homework assignemtns like universtiy kids get, follow them to school but focus the school on classwork, groups and stuff, keep all the drama/movie type stuff out of it, I want to see them seated at desks rushing to finish their assignments on time before the bell so they hve less homework, getting caught passing notes in class, trying to find their classrooms on the first day, etc. No "Mean Girls" type stuff.

I agree with making them shorter and their own clothes. I think I would like to see them have first dating partners but absolutely no woohoo. I do have teen pregnancies from time to time in the game but it's for added drama with the parents and for story progression of my teens. However, I wouldn't want that as an option without mods in the game. I would like to have sleepovers for my teens. I would like to see them go to prom and homecoming and the option to skip to university. I don't mind the drama in my games but would like the option to turn it off if we choose.

I'd like to see sports and cheerleading and more after school activities that aren't rabbit hole events. Jobs like lifeguard babysitting and other jobs, I still want them to have the option to live on their own without parents. Learning to drive.

Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Lee12321Lee12321 Posts: 318 Member
    I would love the ability to have parties when their parents are away resulting in the police turning up, maybe a pack aimed at four different styles e.g. goth, jock, geek, cheerleader & an in-depth personality system for teens that affects how they grow up ad what traits they're allowed to have when they grow up
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

At this late in development I doubt they would redo teens all over again. And redo those thousands of animations or clothes. Nor would I want it if it means less for my teens. Plus I like to make tall teens especially for the boys so then I would be stuck with short teens trying to make them taller with a height slider 😬 if they are willing to redo them again I would hope they give us a height slider and not teens that are stuck short.

But @CK213 for the issue with sims sinking into the chairs you have to use a preset instead of a slider. If you use a preset for a shorter (teen) sim they will not sink in the chairs. I was thrilled when I learned this! I only use presets now. Same goes for taller sim presets.
    I do use it in combination with height slider for a few sims to get the preteen look. But they of course start to sink once you use the slider.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member

At this late in development I doubt they would redo teens all over again. And redo those thousands of animations or clothes. Nor would I want it if it means less for my teens. Plus I like to make tall teens especially for the boys so then I would be stuck with short teens trying to make them taller with a height slider 😬 if they are willing to redo them again I would hope they give us a height slider and not teens that are stuck short.

But @CK213 for the issue with sims sinking into the chairs you have to use a preset instead of a slider. If you use a preset for a shorter (teen) sim they will not sink in the chairs. I was thrilled when I learned this! I only use presets now. Same goes for taller sim presets.
    I do use it in combination with height slider for a few sims to get the preteen look. But they of course start to sink once you use the slider.

What is a preset?
    The mod I am using has no adjustments or sliders.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    edited December 2020
    Everyone has so many good ideas, I would be happy if we got at least some of them....
    what I would want for teens:
    1. shorter build, so it was easier to recognize them
    2. sneaking out, pranks, grounding and negative consequences
    3. teen specific aspirations (perfect student, rebelious prankster, find first love, etc.)
    4. rabbit holes or playble events (proms, graduations, teen parties, etc)
    5. more specific interactions & activities between teens (hang out, gossip classmates, bully, besties, etc.)