Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pixelade's Speculation on The Sims 4 and The Sims 5

2...Next

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Would anyone really be that masochistic to buy Sims 5 at launch after being slapped around by the Sims 4 "Gurus"?

Really depends on how the game is and what it has.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Would anyone really be that masochistic to buy Sims 5 at launch after being slapped around by the Sims 4 "Gurus"?

I remember with TS4 that they didn't give an early copy to the professional game sites before the official release so that consumers didn't have any reviews to help make their decisions to buy the game. There was the CAS demo that allowed people to try out, but CAS is the strongest feature of the game.

Consumers bought it anyway because the first three iterations were amazing and there was no reason yet not to trust EAxis. No one knew that the gameplay would be nonexistent or buggy.

So if the same thing happens with TS5 where professional game sites aren't able to review it, and/or no livestream to show actual gameplay, then I'd be very wary about buying it right away at launch.

There's also some sleazy tactics that EA has done to its other games like sneaking in ads that are in your face into one of their games two weeks after release:

EA 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Off UFC 4 Players By Sneaking Disruptive In-Game Ads 2 Weeks After Launch & Reviews
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ESE8c-R98

So, like I said, I'm really wary. I probably will buy it a few months after the release and when a sufficient number of braver simmers have bought it, played it, and reported back on how enjoyable it is and what bugs it has.

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2020

I remember with TS4 that they didn't give an early copy to the professional game sites before the official release so that consumers didn't have any reviews to help make their decisions to buy the game. There was the CAS demo that allowed people to try out, but CAS is the strongest feature of the game.

Consumers bought it anyway because the first three iterations were amazing and there was no reason yet not to trust EAxis. No one knew that the gameplay would be nonexistent or buggy.

So if the same thing happens with TS5 where professional game sites aren't able to review it, and/or no livestream to show actual gameplay, then I'd be very wary about buying it right away at launch.

There's also some sleazy tactics that EA has done to its other games like sneaking in ads that are in your face into one of their games two weeks after release:

EA 🌺🌺🌺🌺 Off UFC 4 Players By Sneaking Disruptive In-Game Ads 2 Weeks After Launch & Reviews
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ESE8c-R98

So, like I said, I'm really wary. I probably will buy it a few months after the release and when a sufficient number of braver simmers have bought it, played it, and reported back on how enjoyable it is and what bugs it has.

EA is being beyond shady with the games they sell, especially nowadays. I'm guessing the CEO who earns millions and who asked for a multi million dollar raise this year to the patrons/shareholders or such, has something to do with it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    So now a modder can give us a all new Sims 4 open world with amazing details like grocery stores, drive in theaters and even a airport and we continue to get useless worlds with nothing to do from the gurus this is just sad. Pixelade also has a video on it at this point its not only holding stuff back they just don't care enough to do it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp1-nfIkHyc
    Looks like a scam tbh.

I do believe that he was asked on Twitter before how he was able to do an open world but the sim's team claim that the frame work can't do it. His response was something along the lines of it being more like just one really big lot. Albeit bigger than any lot we currently have in the game, but it's still just a lot. Guess that's why it works like a vacation rather than a world? Anyways, it's all just click bait IMO.

Basically like the sims team did with Batuu and ROM.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Carl_Veluz1992Carl_Veluz1992 Posts: 500 Member
    For those who are impatient wanting The Sims 5 and criticizing The Sims 4:

Don’t knock EA & Maxis down man. Don’t be on ‘em… Talking about ‘Y’all improving The Sims 4’ and ‘when is The Sims 5 gonna come out?’ Y’all gotta understand, it’s a process to put these games out man. COVID Hit us and slows everyone down so they just can’t throw anything out. Y’all wouldn’t accept it if they threw The Sims 5 out right now. Then, y’all wouldn’t support EA & Maxis and The Sims brand. So EA is a quality, high end business and a gaming company. So, Be Patient.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I'm of the belief that Sims 5 will most likely still be low quality. They've already shown that they don't need to put in any effort to make gangbusters. So why not start off poorly, then dangle some promises in front of us like a carrot on a string to keep us invested?

Because that's 🐸🐸🐸🐸 up!!!!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    I don't know which is more steadfastly ridiculous; believing EA cares about its consumers or that Sims 5 will cure the woes of Sims4.
    gnelso1239 wrote: »
    I don't know which is more steadfastly ridiculous; believing EA cares about its consumers or that Sims 5 will cure the woes of Sims4.

NOTHING can cure the woes of TS4. That's why it needs to be taken out through the back door and shot. Time to move on to TS5 already!

• Carl_Veluz1992Carl_Veluz1992 Posts: 500 Member

NOTHING can cure the woes of TS4. That's why it needs to be taken out through the back door and shot. Time to move on to TS5 already!

But you're gonna knock EA & Maxis Down and you are not supporting The Sims Team....
    edited September 2020

But you're gonna knock EA & Maxis Down and you are not supporting The Sims Team....

Yes. If they do shoddy work, they don't get my support.

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 370 Member
    Pixelade has a very interesting speculation:

It does sound plausible. I mean, TS4 is lacking so much and it seems like the devs seem to go out of their way not to give simmers exactly what they ask for.

What do you guys think?

I doubt it. I think the inner workings of the game just won't support a lot of things that people want. They still need to make money from Sims 4. And really, if you think we've not gotten what we've asked for the past 6 years, you'd be wrong. Its just this I WANT I WANT I WANT syndrome many, many, ALL Sim players seem to have. They want THIS and get angry when they don't get it.

Yeah, a lot of the "we need this now" stuff would require an absolutely massive overhaul of the game, and with those massive overhauls come bugs that need to be dealt with, playtesting that needs to be done, etc. And half-measures might not please the fans.

Like, a color wheel for skin tones was relatively easy to add for Pets because it was a new system added on. Doing the same for existing sims means going in and reworking the entire way the game stores and reads information for every sim. Now it's not just reading which color off the palette a sim is, but probably reading RGB hex codes. Far more likely that we'll get an expanded palette of swatches (which will probably mess up a ton of people's mods).

Playable babies mean turning an object into a playable sim. That's going to affect a ton of stuff. Probably the easiest way to do it would be to make yet another life state, so that babies as we have them now are newborns, then we get a playable baby lifestate, then move on to toddler. But they'll have to create new interactions for the playable babies, make sure they work properly, etc. ... and then it's up in the air whether people would be happy with that, since we'd still have babies as objects in the game.

With driveable cars I expect we'd see something more like TS2--you own a car, you get in it, you drive off the lot, then your car is there when you get past the loading screen for a new lot. Cars like in TS3 would require revamping the entire game engine to be an open world, which would effectively be making a new game.

Disabilities is another one I see crop up from time to time and doing that would be a massive undertaking for TS4 or starting from scratch for TS5. For physical disabilities it would require unique interactions and animations for each disability. The neurodivergent may not require a bunch of new interactions and animations, but they'd require some. And all of it would be an absolute minefield, trying to depict actual physical and psychological challenges people face in a respectful but still light-hearted way.

As far as simmers wanting things right now and getting upset when they don't get it, I think the open letter from the devs was a good start. Telling people that X, Y, and Z will not be in the next expansion pack is a good idea. It hasn't entirely stopped speculation that we'll be getting X, Y, or Z, but whatever. A better solution would be to just tell people when a pack is released what the next pack is going to be. Back when people still bought physical media, I remember I'd get a new pack for TS2 or maybe even TS3 and inside would be a flyer announcing the next pack after that one. People could still over-speculate about what would be in it, but at least they'd be on the right track.

I think a big part of the Star Wars backlash is that some simmers got *really* attached to previous hoax announcements. When the icon got leaked and those of us who recognized it clearly spotted that it was Batuu from Galaxy's Edge, the silence from the devs let people spend those weeks convincing themselves that it couldn't possibly be Star Wars and they were finally getting the farming pack or winter vacation pack or whatever that they figured they were owed. Rather than get a few weeks of coming to terms with the fact that EA was releasing a pack they weren't interested in, they spent those weeks looking for clues that this was actually the thing they wanted. And finding them, of course, because when you are only looking to confirm a conclusion, you can always find evidence. (Even if that evidence is incredibly tortured; I can't even remember the full chain of reasoning that led some people to think GP09 was going to be a supernatural pack, but it involved a story off of a creepypasta site that has no connection to The Sims or EA.)
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    @kemowery Even cars like in the Sims 2 would require a whole revamp cause the roads in the game aren't built interactable so they can't deal with traffic like the Sims 2 ones did and since some houses aren't connected to roads we wouldn't even get the drive off animation. Probably only the disappear and reappear in car one.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited September 2020
    kemowery wrote: »

It does sound plausible. I mean, TS4 is lacking so much and it seems like the devs seem to go out of their way not to give simmers exactly what they ask for.

What do you guys think?

I doubt it. I think the inner workings of the game just won't support a lot of things that people want. They still need to make money from Sims 4. And really, if you think we've not gotten what we've asked for the past 6 years, you'd be wrong. Its just this I WANT I WANT I WANT syndrome many, many, ALL Sim players seem to have. They want THIS and get angry when they don't get it.

I think a big part of the Star Wars backlash is that some simmers got *really* attached to previous hoax announcements. When the icon got leaked and those of us who recognized it clearly spotted that it was Batuu from Galaxy's Edge, the silence from the devs let people spend those weeks convincing themselves that it couldn't possibly be Star Wars and they were finally getting the farming pack or winter vacation pack or whatever that they figured they were owed. Rather than get a few weeks of coming to terms with the fact that EA was releasing a pack they weren't interested in, they spent those weeks looking for clues that this was actually the thing they wanted. And finding them, of course, because when you are only looking to confirm a conclusion, you can always find evidence. (Even if that evidence is incredibly tortured; I can't even remember the full chain of reasoning that led some people to think GP09 was going to be a supernatural pack, but it involved a story off of a creepypasta site that has no connection to The Sims or EA.)

Or it could of just been this is the Sims not Star Wars and people were wanting basic content they have been asking for 6 years now and we got a linear Star Wars do this do that pack instead of sandbox game play for our Sims. But I guess your thought process goes to demeaning the community for hoping it was not Star Trash.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

I make a point to not support companies that spit on their customers. EA hasn’t gotten any money from me in a long time
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 370 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    kemowery wrote: »

What do you guys think?

Or it could of just been this is the Sims not Star Wars and people were wanting basic content they have been asking for 6 years now and we got a linear Star Wars do this do that pack instead of sandbox game play for our Sims. But I guess your thought process goes to demeaning the community for hoping it was not Star Trash.

A lot of the "basic content" is stuff that would require a major game overhaul and would also be, as in the past, provided in a patch, not as exclusive to a single game pack. It was never, ever, going to be "you get a color wheel for skintones, but only if you buy our new farming pack" or "we're giving you cars, but exclusive to our winter holiday pack." Even completely nonessential play elements like stackable windows and alt-placing doors and windows came as patches not paid DLC.

It was a game pack, which has always broken down to one of three things: a nonessential add-on system like laundry or spas, a new occult type like vampires or spellcasters, *or* a guided quest. It wasn't even going to be two of those things, as much as I eventually decided a Jedi lifestate could be useful to my games, or hotels. And imagine the outcry if they finally gave us a hotel lot type but it was exclusive to Journey to Batuu.

If the Sims team (which is more than just a couple of people working on one issue and then moving on to the next) needed to figure out how to fix skintones or make playable babies or whatever, and they shouldn't have worked on Journey to Batuu until those issues were fixed, then they should have stopped working on *any* DLC until those issues were fixed. Because if it's actually morally wrong to release a Star Wars DLC when they still haven't fixed skin tones, then it's also morally wrong for them to release a farming or ski vacation pack when they still haven't fixed skin tones.

And once you get away from skin tones and disabilities (which, as I pointed out, would be maybe the biggest nightmare to try to implement responsibly), it's pretty hard to assign moral weight to the lack of bunk beds or playable babies. Saying they should have worked on cars before Star Wars, but it's okay if werewolves jump ahead of cars, is really just a list of preferences.

And so I'm kinda left with the impression that the anger at JTB is not overwhelmingly that they didn't fix basic gameplay elements, because plenty of people made it clear that if it had been some other pack--farming, ski vacations, happy haunts--they would have been *fine* with those basic gameplay elements not getting fixed yet. And then, like I said, a lot of people put a lot of effort into convincing themselves that the pack couldn't possibly be Star Wars, when it clearly was, and then being shocked and dismayed when it turned out to be Star Wars.

Which, come to think of it, is kind of the same thing that happened with the backlash to The Last Jedi. People got attached to their ideas about what the story was going to be. They had their fanfic about who Rey really was, who Snoke really was, and what Luke had been up to for the past however many years firmly fixed in their heads and when the movie answered those questions by saying that ultimately they weren't important and instead took a left turn to examine the tropes of Star Wars, whether they still apply to the modern day, and ultimately say "yes, these stories are important," some people walked away with the idea that the movie was trying to destroy Star Wars.

Same thing here. We got a teaser of the icon. A bunch of people said, "Yep, that's a Star War all right." And other people said, "No, it can't be! That's impossible!" and came up with their own theories about what it actually was, which as far as I can tell were always things *they* thought would be cooler than Star Wars. I do not recall anyone saying anything along the lines of, "I wish it was Star Wars, but it's obviously a ski chalet, ski slope, and three giant snowballs, so we're getting a useless winter vacation pack." Instead, it was, "It can't be Star Wars, so it's obviously a winter vacation pack, which is something we actually need." Or farming. Or Atlantis. Or Norse mythology. All those things we actually need.

And they were mad because the pack was the thing they'd convinced themselves it wasn't. *They'd* done the research, followed the clues. They figured out how the color scheme in the new icon had a hidden meaning, and how a story on an unrelated website actually deciphered the icon. They'd photoshopped collages of elements together that kinda had some of the same shapes as the icon, but had the elements that *they* wanted. All that effort couldn't have reached the actual wrong conclusion; it was obviously EA's fault for making the decision to betray the fans and ruin The Sims.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    No. I don't believe that. They are going on the principle of a little at a time so that people will keep buying packs for a few objects or building items more like. :)
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I'm of the belief that Sims 5 will most likely still be low quality. They've already shown that they don't need to put in any effort to make gangbusters. So why not start off poorly, then dangle some promises in front of us like a carrot on a string to keep us invested?

Because that's 🌺🌺🌺🌺 up!!!!
    These are the people who keep piecemealing content to get more money out of us, even when their packs are already shallow and need of more content and gameplay.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Frankly, I don't really care what Pixeldade thinks.
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    @kemowery Even cars like in the Sims 2 would require a whole revamp cause the roads in the game aren't built interactable so they can't deal with traffic like the Sims 2 ones did and since some houses aren't connected to roads we wouldn't even get the drive off animation. Probably only the disappear and reappear in car one.

I’ve been saying this for years since Get Together came out and yet people still want cars. Like why. They’re going to be such a massive disappointment and the community will be outraged again even though the facts have been in their faces the whole time.

Cars will be worse than how they were in Sims 2. If they do come, I hope it’s a base game update. I couldn’t imagine paying for cars that won’t be drivable.

I can’t even imagine what the trailer would be like. Probably embarrassing.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2020
    They could to make the Sims 5 being online more marketable. I have a feeling Sims 5 will follow in the Sims 4 footsteps with the online approach initially until the idea fails and then scrambling to make an offline game again. Sims 4 was initially going to be an online game. That is why many things were left out.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    They could to make the Sims 5 being online more marketable. I have a feeling Sims 5 will follow in the Sims 4 footsteps with the online approach initially until the idea fails and then scrambling to make an offline game again. Sims 4 was initially going to be an online game. That is why many things were left out.

That's what I'm afraid of. That TS5 is going to be nothing more than Sims 4.5

Wanting to try online/multiplayer again, the community LOUDLY protesting this, EA/Maxis back-peddaling when they realize it's not going to be welcomed with open-arms again and then trying to salvage what they have done.

Sims 4 Reskinned