March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gameplay Vs Graphics

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Gameplay
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    Minecraft is a perfect example. Terrible graphics but a great game!

Perfect example
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Graphics
    With The Sims, graphics is important, because gaming is about telling my story. With every other game, gameplay is what matters. I grew up playing games on monochrome monitors and graphing calculators, playing text-based games like Zork, so fancy graphics almost get in the way for me with most games. But with The Sims, it’s completely different for me, because it’s more like a dollhouse than a regular video game.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited September 2020
    Gameplay
    SimCity and The Sims are literally two great examples of this... SimCity 2013 is a beautiful game, but the gameplay was severely lacking (especially in comparison to past games in the franchise). Just like how Sims 4 (especially in the beginning) was (and still is) lacking in comparison to Sims 3 and Sims 2. Though, Sims 4 is NOT necessarily a bad game. It's actually one of my favorites... I just wish it was being allowed to reach its full potential.

However, this doesn't mean graphics and art style aren't important to me... if I'm playing a simulation game, I prefer the graphics/art style to be as realistic as possible.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Gameplay
    Gameplay 100% is more important. It's like candy - do you want a really good candy in plain wrapper or terrible one in beautiful wrapper? Your choice.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Gameplay
    Gameplay first, graphics later.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2020
    ArcherDK wrote: »
    Gameplay 100% is more important. It's like candy - do you want a really good candy in plain wrapper or terrible one in beautiful wrapper? Your choice.

Sure, but video games are largely a visual medium, whereas the appearance of candy doesn’t matter.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Gameplay
    A balance of both actually, i dont necessarily like gameplay better if the graphic is crap(some 2d indie games for example)
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Alwe1507Alwe1507 Posts: 328 Member
    Graphics
    ...within reason, of course.

I would not accept a game with immense life-like graphics, that allowed bare minimum gameplay.

However, I have answered this with The Sims 2 and 4 in mind...

I prefer TS2 gameplay but because of its graphics, I play TS4...which has better graphics.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    Gameplay
    I accidentally clicked gameplay, but for me it is graphics. I like both, but if a game doesn't have a certain level of graphics, it is hard for me to really enjoy it no matter how good the gameplay.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Gameplay
    I would rather have less "sophisticated" graphics if it means far better gameplay. I should not have to use mods for simple gameplay. It would be one thing if I was using a mod to make my sim Superman or a mutant from The X Men or add in occults that the community is divided on. (Which I do use for kids to use magic and added occults for gameplay options) but I mostly use them to add social interactions (that still are in the T rating), for my sims to react to things like cheating realistically for gameplay, better autonomy, better traits etc.

It's not like the devs are spending days on making models, rigging, parenting this to that. There are plenty of places to get stock models and stock animation to cut down on time which means cutting costs all around. I love and can appreciate good graphics but if a game has great gameplay I don't mind poorer graphics. Unfortunately, EA has a nasty habit of buying successful gaming companies and destroying that game. Instead of just acting as a publishing company which is what they should simply do, they have to try to make games. They fail at this. Let gaming companies make incredible games with a decent time to make them. I wouldn't ask the CEO at Random House to write a mindblowing novel because they run a publishing company and they aren't an author. Why does EA insist that they should make games when all they should do is simply publish them?
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    That's a tough question.

I think gameplay is slightly more important but if the graphics is not something I like, then I can't enjoy the game that much.

It's kinda like when I listen to a song. I focus on the instruments and the melody more than the lyrics but if the lyrics are really bad or meaningless, it just makes it less good, ya know...?
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Gameplay
    Gameplay is more important it keeps me coming back to a game but graphics, more importantly even art style might turn me on or off from the very beginning enough to not even be able to stomach proceeding with a game.
    Sims 1 graphics by todays standards are really bad but that game kept me interested. Of course they weren't considered bad at that time I guess.
    I still play minecraft too, but it needs long rests from time to time.
    egTcBMc.png
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited September 2020
    Gameplay
    Graphics is important, but IMO gameplay is essential, without engaging gameplay you just have a shell of a game. Galaxy's Edge is a good example of that, really good looking, although IMO not better than Brindleton Bay and Selvadorada as they fit the style of the game more, but very little gameplay and what there is doesn't carry over well to the existing games

Another example of this is FPS's of the 2000's. For 10 years they emphasised breathtaking graphics, but gameplay stagnated and atrophied. Other types of games came along and grabbed the public's attention. Shooters almost lost their crown as most popular games (if you don't include casual gaming and The Sims (which "hardcore gamers" like to pretend dont exist)). So modern shooters are now including new gameplay, as well as stunning graphics.

EDIT Also, another thing to keep in mind is how your graphics age, which is important if you want to have a long lived game. TS2 graphics seem to have aged better than TS3, and TS4's will probably age well to as generally speaking more stylised graphics tend to age better. Also, they are often cheaper to produce and easier on your graphics card.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Cassieb95Cassieb95 Posts: 347 Member
    Graphics
    I wanted to vote both.
    In any case, graphics are very important to me. I like to have beautiful scenery and beautiful sims. This is why I spend hours downloading CC. :D TS4 has beautiful graphics!
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Gameplay
    All the prettiest graphics and visuals in the world do not equal gameplay. I dont know why the developers seem convinced that the players just want nice things to look at, but not have anything to do. Yeah I want the game to look as wonderful as possible, but I dont play games to just stare at them. I PLAY them.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Gameplay
    I'm currently re-evaluating why I don't have one of the earlier versions of Sims installed on my computer...
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Graphics
    This was a hard choice but I had to be honest with myself 😖😖😖😖
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2020
    Graphics
    This was a hard choice but I had to be honest with myself 😖😖😖😖

Though I should clarify it depends on the game. Some games I actually went back to the older game because the gameplay was better. Like a few rpgs. Looks don't really matter.

For a game like the sims which I assume we are talking about here. I literally look at it like a dollhouse and the graphics are more important to me than it probably should be. 😬
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    Gameplay
    Sims 2 comes to mind. I can set graphics aside for the sake of engaging, detailed gameplay.
  • FluffusCanarusFluffusCanarus Posts: 103 Member
    Gameplay
    Gameplay. Hands down. I don’t care if the game is the most aesthetically pleasing thing to look at and take photos, if I can’t do anything or get bored, it’s no good.
    In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.- Coco Chanel
  • RBLamberthRBLamberth Posts: 12 New Member
    Gameplay
    I've only played the sims 4 but when looking at the sims 2 smallest details like pulling out drawers while cooking, the runaway teenager, cuddling in bed, having to actually buy clothes without having access to all clothes from the beginning of the game (which imo would give clothes stores that came with get to work a meaning), plus other small details. I feel the details is really important to gameplay and the details in the sims 2 were amazing imo but i guess i can try find some mods that will fix the problem with details :)
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2020
    Gameplay
    Huh. So this is going about how I thought it would go so far but for those who picked graphics, is it more a certain art style you don't like and wouldn't play (like 8-bit vs realistic for example) or just bad graphics in general?
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    Gameplay
    Graphics is first. With the sims games especially, good graphics make the entire experience more dazzling, for me. And in no way does nice graphics keep them from also creating a fun game.

As for art style i like the slightly realistic look a lot more and i hope sims 5 takes a more realistic appearing art style .Once i can post images , ill share a photo of a current game, that looks like how i dream of sims 5 looking.

If they made it realistic what if your sims set themselves on fire
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Gameplay
    Gameplay is absolutely more important, but if the graphics are so ugly that it hurts your eyes then it is hard to play. In 4, I like my characters. I like how they look and develop attachments and stories for them. The personalities ingame are not impactful enough to be brought to life without a lot of imagination, so I had to like them for them to exist.

Not so much in 3. It took me a long time to design a character that I did not despise the look of to be my absolute favorite. It was also much easier to craft a variety of characters of varying importance and personality. Note here, I really disliked 3's graphics. I prefer 4's, but I would have been more than happy with the main game of 3 with 2's graphics.

Anyway, even though I despise 3's graphics and prefer 4's, I still consider 3 (and honestly 2 when solely based on live mode) the superior games because of the available gameplay.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Gameplay
    Graphics is first. With the sims games especially, good graphics make the entire experience more dazzling, for me. And in no way does nice graphics keep them from also creating a fun game.

As for art style i like the slightly realistic look a lot more and i hope sims 5 takes a more realistic appearing art style .Once i can post images , ill share a photo of a current game, that looks like how i dream of sims 5 looking.

If they made it realistic what if your sims set themselves on fire

They wouldn't look too healthy I assume.