Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 is six years old now, is it time to move on?

Comments

• knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm inclined to believe they won't make the same mistakes again with TS5, as a matter of fact I think they will be worse. It's been going downhill for years.

Babies in TS3 were worms, babies in TS4 are cribs. Worse. I wonder what happens to them in TS5.
    Pets in TS2 were cats, dogs, and smaller pets such as a hamster, with not much interactions for them.

The pets in TS3 took an uphill turn and were improved with things like horses.

Another downhill turn with C&D and sick strays no one can actually cure. And just cats and dogs. Even TS1 had smaller pets. And unlike TS2 which gave pets a job and trainers and more commands, TS4's Pets got a vet career one would think would have been fun until it got broken and IIRC is still broken.

Another downhill turn.

I could list a thousand downhill slides TS4 has taken, but I would be here all day. Like the lack of snow depth in Seasons, for the sake of a calendar....one of the easiest things in world to program because it doesn't need animations or FX. Last I heard though it is broken half the time.

The downhill turns to do more clicking rather than simulating. They won't make the same mistakes they did with TS4, I fear they will make worse ones, such as doing away with simulation altogether or for many more things and we just click something and the Sim doesn't even have to move, it's all done. :o What kind of life simulator is that.

You know - at this point, I have to agree with you. I kept holding out hope that Sims 5 would be something they could surprise us with in giving us exactly what they KNOW we want - but, after this last pack - it seems to just keep getting worse and worse.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2020
    It's been time to move on since last year.... But if TS5 is another disgrace of a game they might as well cancel production and just stick to remastering TS2 and TS3....compiling all the store stuff and put it in the main game pronto.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I'd be so happy for a new game at this stage. We need a change.

Most the improvements players want can only be done with a totally new game, and a better game engine would completely change the game and add a lot more options. I think in terms of where other video games are at in 2020, Sims is lacking. A lot more is possible than what we have.

Only negative about a new game for me though is that we go back to square one. Stuck in the base game waiting years for the content I want. The island based packs have always been my favorite. I didn't start playing Sims 4 until island living came out, which was 5 years into the game. I don't wanna have to wait that long for packs that are essential to me all over again.

The nice thing this time around is that there will be other life simulation games to play while we wait for all the EPs and other packs. It also helps to play other genres too. When TS4 was released and I didn't like the direction that EA was taking The Sims series, I started trying out other genres. I found out that I really love first and third-person shooters and GTA like games - and there are a tone of those. Plus I like some city building and strategy games.

Plus I still have my beloved The Sims 3! ❤ I'll have fun and keeping busy while I wait for the packs.

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm not ready for The Sims 5 empty game (no pets, no apartment, no toddler, no restaurant, no beach, no weather, no seasons, no holiday, no university, no actor, no vampire... nothing.)

I already did it for The Sims 2, 3 and 4, I won't do it again.

I prefer The Sims 4 keep growing.
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    They're not going to fix TS4. They're just not. But they will gladly take the money you keep forking over for packs while they don't fix it.

TS2 and 3 started with far more robust base games than TS4. This has been well documented. Now ask yourself WHY. WHY was there already more personality built into Sims in games released in 2004 and 2009 respectively? Why were toddlers in the base game? Why did babies not act as objects. Why were they able to add cars with the FIRST expansion pack in TS2? Why were they in the base game of TS3? You could go on and on.

The point is, TS4 was doomed from the beginning. They doomed it. They didn't plan to develop a game as full and rich as previous iterations of this game. Can they fix personalities at this point? I doubt they can, meaningfully. But they are not even adding new traits to make a superficial change. They have never planned on TS4 having the depth that TS2 and 3 did. It's not going to happen.

Will they plan for that in TS5? I sincerely doubt it. It makes me sad. I love(d) The Sims. Yeah, I may have to start using past tense.
  • Carl_Veluz1992Carl_Veluz1992 Posts: 500 Member
    For those who are impatient wanting The Sims 5 and criticizing The Sims 4:

Don’t knock EA & Maxis down man. Don’t be on ‘em… Talking about ‘Y’all improving The Sims 4’ and ‘when is The Sims 5 gonna come out?’ Y’all gotta understand, it’s a process to put these games out man. COVID Hit us and slows everyone down so they just can’t throw anything out. Y’all wouldn’t accept it if they threw The Sims 5 out right now. Then, y’all wouldn’t support EA & Maxis and The Sims brand. So EA is a quality, high end business and a gaming company. So, Be Patient.
  • shannonavashannonava Posts: 20 Member
    I'd like Sims 5 to come out soon if it's realised with half the content missing as Sims 4 was. That gives me a few more years of Sims 4 play while they beef up the game. Of course I wish they'd release a complete game this time, but I can't see that happening.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

Don’t knock EA & Maxis down man. Don’t be on ‘em… Talking about ‘Y’all improving The Sims 4’ and ‘when is The Sims 5 gonna come out?’ Y’all gotta understand, it’s a process to put these games out man. COVID Hit us and slows everyone down so they just can’t throw anything out. Y’all wouldn’t accept it if they threw The Sims 5 out right now. Then, y’all wouldn’t support EA & Maxis and The Sims brand. So EA is a quality, high end business and a gaming company. So, Be Patient.

This is TS4's seventh year. COVID hit in January/February.

We've all had to make adjustments since then. However, COVID isn't the reason why the Sims in TS4 continue to be the shallowest Sims in the franchise. If EA/Maxis intended to fix the issues with them, they had six other years in order to do it.

What is the dividing line between patience and being taken for granted?
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

This is TS4's seventh year. COVID hit in January/February.

We've all had to make adjustments since then. However, COVID isn't the reason why the Sims in TS4 continue to be the shallowest Sims in the franchise. If EA/Maxis intended to fix the issues with them, they had six other years in order to do it.

What is the dividing line between patience and being taken for granted?

I’m just shocked people are seriously still holding onto “be patient”. Six years later. Longer than any other Sims game’s lifespan.

The Sims 3, with its mammoth list of content was long done and completed past a whole year at the point we’re at with The Sims 4.

Maxis is doing something wrong.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

This... has proven false.

1. Again, remember that the developers deliberately chose an engine unsuitable for this kind of game. I ABSOLUTELY believe them when they say x or y is hard or almost impossible to do. BUT it is their own fault, because they picked an engine to code their game in that cannot handle basic functions from Sims 2, a game 10 years older. So, invalid excuse, but not because they are lying NOW, but because of a deliberately cost-cutting choice back in 2011 or whenever they started making the game.

2. Covid is not an excuse. The issues we discuss here should have been fixed at the very latest in the very first big patch that gave us pools and basements.

3. This game is, as pointed out, 6 years old now. And they still have constantly prioritized the wrong things refused to fix long-standing bugs and told us that the things we want, the things that were doable in Sims 2 and 3, are "too hard to do". Which brings us back to point 1 again: It is still their fault, because they picked an engine, on purpose, that cannot do these basic things. Apparently.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • LeCastelLeCastel Posts: 21 Member
    I've mixed feelings about this.

Obviously TS4 isn't perfect, but the Sims franchise is very good for a "life long update" kind of treatment. Think Minecraft, World of Warcraft etc. They could indefinitely expand upon the game and fill every hook and cranny with actual good content. I would personally love that, but I also think that TS4 has some fundamental flaws that they either don't want to tackle or can't tackle. If TS5 came out with a solid foundation, I'd much rather that be the last Sims for decades.

I just don't have excitement or hype for the next Sims title. Never had. You have a game filled with content... and then the next one comes out and it's an empty excuse of a game, because they want to sell you all the usual expansions again. Really, just think about it.. why do people swallow this? Imagine getting Sims 5 and the entire community will be begging again for season and pets for years? Isn't that downright ridiculous and disgusting. The next Sims should be build upon a more finalized version of the previous game, with the majority - if not all - packs included.

And if they make the mistake of going fully only again, then I'll skip it completely. Hope they learned from SimCity 2013...
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Im happy with 4. I want to play it for many more years and would love it to last another 5-10 more years...
    But... I'm tired of all the negativity towards it and feel like maybe people would move over to complaining about Sims 5 so us Sims 4 players could play in peace haha, so I'd be happy for it to arrive for that reason.
    Besides, while there is more I want to the game, the state it's in now I could happily continue to play for decades if they DID stop upgrading now.
    But still... I lean towards keeping 4 going, while not being upset either way.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Im happy with 4. I want to play it for many more years and would love it to last another 5-10 more years...
    But... I'm tired of all the negativity towards it and feel like maybe people would move over to complaining about Sims 5 so us Sims 4 players could play in peace haha, so I'd be happy for it to arrive for that reason.
    Besides, while there is more I want to the game, the state it's in now I could happily continue to play for decades if they DID stop upgrading now.

That's great that you enjoy TS4 as it is, and I hope you get many many more years of enjoyment out of it. But, for a good portion of sims fans, TS4 is lacking in a lot of ways because when you compare it to what was the norm previously and what you would expect the newest version to be like, people are upset. I know you have stated in many different threads about how you personally play, which is not how a lot of other people play. But, because of the way you play, TS4 fits your play style perfectly. So that's great! And the good thing is, when TS5 comes out people who enjoy TS4 as it is won't be forced to move on to it. It'll be just like those people who didn't move on to TS3 and stayed with TS2 and those that stayed with TS3 and never moved on to TS4.

I don't necessarily "hate" TS4, they have implemented some good things that I for sure like better compared to the older versions, but it's a very small list of improvements for me personally.

I'm ready to see what they do with TS5 just so I know whether I'm going to continue to support this franchise or if they will have totally alienated me by going into a completely different direction away from the life simulation genre.

I want to believe that TS4 was just not up to snuff because of the fact they changed it from online/multiplayer version to single player and that's why it is the way it is. If it had been online and multiplayer there really would not have been a big need for a robust AI because interactions with other sims would have been interacting with other RL people controlling that other sim. And, I think that's why there were no toddlers in the beginning or teens that act like teens, because they probably assumed most people playing a character online would be playing as a YA.

If the game had always been planned as a single player version, I don't think it would have been as watered down. That's just my opinion and why I'm willing to see what TS5 will be about before I walk away.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

So that you can play in peace? :|

If someone who doesn't love the thing that you love is capable of somehow disturbing your peace, they are not the issue.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I don't have much hope for sims 5 tbh, so my hope for sims games lies in any competitor that comes along, like Paralives.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,859 Member
    I'm weary about Sims 5 at the same time I'm wondering if sims 4 shouldn't be done. I believe we'd got at least another year of content so that's at least 2 more EP, 1-2 GP and probably at least one SP, and there's certain things I want to see done, but honestly the content of most packs have been more shallow than Sims 2 and 3, and it seems everything from this year so far out side of Nifty Knitting has new but way out of expectations as well, and not in a good way, along with even less actual new content than previous years. I give NK a pass due to it being a community voted pack, and as a SP I don't have such a high bar for "new stuff". So while I want things like farming and werewolves at very least, along with body hair, i worry about the choices EA has made for the game so far in the last year.

At the same time that I worry for Sims 4 and wonder if it's time to let it go, I don't look forward to an empty Sims 5. And if content wise additions hold true, it will more than likely be less fulfilling than Sims 4. I've already said that if Sims 5 doesn't come at very least with open neighborhoods, basic pets (Dogs and Cats) and basic weather, that I'm likely going to pass on it. I'm tired of paying for the same "must have" themes over and over each iteration (must have basically being pets and weather for me). Yet at the same time when EA has done something "new" it's mostly been disappointing. So I don't have a lot of hope for Sims 5 either.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I'm ready to see what The Sims 5 will bring to the table, but I'm also ready to see some of the new and upcoming life simulators too.

If what we've seen so far with The Sims 4 is what we have to look forward to in The Sims 5 then I won't be wasting my money on it either. I have to see better from The Sims team. It'd be one thing if they were new and figuring everything out, but they basically set the standard for the genre.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
    edited September 2020
    Cynna wrote: »

So that you can play in peace? :|

If someone who doesn't love the thing that you love is capable of somehow disturbing your peace, they are not the issue.

No, not at all, You've misunderstood. Perhaps my fault for the poor wording, so I apologize. I don't mind at all that others don't like what I like and I'm quite welcoming of criticism about the game. In fact there's things I often criticsize about it too, though it remains my favourite.

But unforunately people have been personaly attacking, name calling to me etc quite often when I've said I like 4 more. It's been better the last couple weeks but it got quite bad for awhile. They'd say I was "stupid for enjoying this feature more than that" or that my game play style was immature because I like to play kids more than young adults, etc. Here and in PM's at times. Or even that I am "wrong, you can't like 4 better, either you are lying or don't know what you are talking about" type thing...

Thankfully, it does seem better lately. I've learned to just not state my opinion quite as often and to ignore most requests for "You have to explain why you like sims 4 better if you do", because my explanations seem to upset people, and honestly I should be allowed to enjoy the game without HAVING to explain myself.

I get along well with a lot of people on here that prefer older games and it doesn't bother me in the slightest as long as they don't mind I like 4 better. It's not different than the fact that I get along with a lot of occult players even though I do't enjoy occults in my game. It's so easy to be friends when people let people be different but sadly that doesn't always happen here.

edited September 2020

That's great that you enjoy TS4 as it is, and I hope you get many many more years of enjoyment out of it. But, for a good portion of sims fans, TS4 is lacking in a lot of ways because when you compare it to what was the norm previously and what you would expect the newest version to be like, people are upset. I know you have stated in many different threads about how you personally play, which is not how a lot of other people play. But, because of the way you play, TS4 fits your play style perfectly. So that's great! And the good thing is, when TS5 comes out people who enjoy TS4 as it is won't be forced to move on to it. It'll be just like those people who didn't move on to TS3 and stayed with TS2 and those that stayed with TS3 and never moved on to TS4.

I don't necessarily "hate" TS4, they have implemented some good things that I for sure like better compared to the older versions, but it's a very small list of improvements for me personally.

I'm ready to see what they do with TS5 just so I know whether I'm going to continue to support this franchise or if they will have totally alienated me by going into a completely different direction away from the life simulation genre.

I want to believe that TS4 was just not up to snuff because of the fact they changed it from online/multiplayer version to single player and that's why it is the way it is. If it had been online and multiplayer there really would not have been a big need for a robust AI because interactions with other sims would have been interacting with other RL people controlling that other sim. And, I think that's why there were no toddlers in the beginning or teens that act like teens, because they probably assumed most people playing a character online would be playing as a YA.

If the game had always been planned as a single player version, I don't think it would have been as watered down. That's just my opinion and why I'm willing to see what TS5 will be about before I walk away.

I agree :) And thanks! I don't necessarily hate other versions either, they are fun and I enjoyed them to a degree when I didn't have 4, but just never got into them quite as much. They are good games too though! I don't think I would have enjoyed it NEARLy as much before toddlers though. I didn't start playing version 4 until toddlers came out haha! They are my fav life state!

I've bought all the past versions of Sims, but it's because I was looking for something better, if that makes sense. Now that I love Sims 4 so much I'm less interested in 5. I've played the same save for years and not ready to give up on it, but if I ever do, I have so many ideas for other saves that I never get around to cuz I'm always playing my main one hahaha! I feel like I have content for ages. But that doesn't mean I'll never buy 5. Probably not on release but if it looks good/better than 4 for my game play style than of course one day I'd like it :) I'm not judging it right now as it's too soon and we have no idea what it'll be like haha but I am taking to consideration that even if it's the best game ever and better than 4 even for my play style, it'd mean giving up my save file I love (Let's face it, I'm a single parent who homeschools and works outside the house, I don't have time for more than one game hahaha) and rebuying everything all over when I already have something I love now too. At this point, I'm not so sure any game is worth that no matter how good it is haha.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I agree :) And thanks! I don't necessarily hate other versions either, they are fun and I enjoyed them to a degree when I didn't have 4, but just never got into them quite as much. They are good games too though! I don't think I would have enjoyed it NEARLy as much before toddlers though. I didn't start playing version 4 until toddlers came out haha! They are my fav life state!

I've bought all the past versions of Sims, but it's because I was looking for something better, if that makes sense. Now that I love Sims 4 so much I'm less interested in 5. I've played the same save for years and not ready to give up on it, but if I ever do, I have so many ideas for other saves that I never get around to cuz I'm always playing my main one hahaha! I feel like I have content for ages. But that doesn't mean I'll never buy 5. Probably not on release but if it looks good/better than 4 for my game play style than of course one day I'd like it :) I'm not judging it right now as it's too soon and we have no idea what it'll be like haha but I am taking to consideration that even if it's the best game ever and better than 4 even for my play style, it'd mean giving up my save file I love (Let's face it, I'm a single parent who homeschools and works outside the house, I don't have time for more than one game hahaha) and rebuying everything all over when I already have something I love now too. At this point, I'm not so sure any game is worth that no matter how good it is haha.

Playing the same save for years is actually quite awesome! It's no wonder you are not ready to move on. So do you actually play or are you physically writing a story and taking/staging pics for that story? I know you said you generally play with aging off and you want to control your family and play mostly with toddlers. I didn't know if you let the toddlers do their thing or if you control when and how they do stuff.
    edited September 2020

Playing the same save for years is actually quite awesome! It's no wonder you are not ready to move on. So do you actually play or are you physically writing a story and taking/staging pics for that story? I know you said you generally play with aging off and you want to control your family and play mostly with toddlers. I didn't know if you let the toddlers do their thing or if you control when and how they do stuff.

Kinda a mixture. I've ALREADY physically written several stories, ad they are complete (though always telling new ones haha) I don't take many pics in sims games, it's not for that. So nothing staged. I actually play. I use the sims to bring to life the characters and world where physical stories. I recreate scenes from the stories, but also expand upon it in the game in ways that make sense to the game but wouldn't work for the stories. In the game though characters from several stories are friends that aren't in the same world in my stories for example. I just want them all there in one world in the Sims.

I mostly control my toddlers . Most of the time. I micromanage to a degree, but not 100%, more like 80% micromanaged haha. I do let my families age but yeah, over years in real time, so super slow. If I'm controlling toddlers and my adults want to go write a book versus paint, or even go to work or skip work or even try for a baby (cuz I'm always open to more kids haha) I don't stop them. But if they decide to go cheat on their spouse or fight with each other or do something that would change the family dynamic that is set up to match the family dynamic in the stories then that's where I get frustrated haha. I don't want the characters to change from the stories but not all events will be exactly the same, if that makes sense. In game they may end up with more children just so I can play more kids haha!
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I think it's time for the series to die. Yes, I love the games (fav is Sims 3), but it's very obvious the series is, as it's called on TV Tropes, a cash cow zombie, and I feel that's very evident with Sims 4. EA has the fandom wrapped around their fingertips and they know it. And yes, I believe in "different strokes for different folks", but EA could hike the price for packs, water down the content, and they still would have zero issues with sales. Again, they know this.

The Sims series is my favorite simulation game, but I think it's time to lay it to rest. I don't think it'll get better.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

This company better not start with covid because that has not contributed, whatsoever, to the issues people are raising right now. So covid has disrupted their working environment for the last 6 months, what’s their excuse for the other 5 and a half years? GM made it clear they know what people want and they do not make any of it a priority.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I am not ready to move on sims 4 is my favorite sims game and I've played a lot of them bug fixes and updates as well as packs have been
    slower this year because of all thats going on right now all the games tv shows and cartoons have been slowed down pushed back and stopped
    for the time being we might have had cars and better babies by now if things weren't so slowed down because of this I think we are in for an even longer wait for 5 as well
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Honestly, I feel like the question here isn't whether players are ready to move on; it's about whether the game itself is technically capable of lasting for a long time or if it needs to end before it is no longer technically stable.