The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This video gives me hope for a great Sims5!

Maxis EA's Matt Brown examines techniques employed across all four generations of The Sims to empower player-driven and emergent storytelling. It is from 2018 but I think it is very relevant. At the very end there's a short time of questions and answers where he admits Sim4 didn't really follow the previous game styles. It's a long video but worth watching. Now I am so excited again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjuOSgPdtS0

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2020
    53:30....

So TS4 really was a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 missile gone wrong. "With TS4 it was different....It's development was pretty storied, it had several different stages" oh, we know.... from online multiplayer game, to story game with sandbox as a secondary feature until someone realized it was not going to be well received and then they tried to pull a main sims game out of their 🐸🐸🐸🐸 last minute.

It's really interesting how EA isn't trying to "not screw it up" anymore. But then TS4 did pretty well when it came to sales, people like the screenshot simmulator it has become, instead of an actual game. So perhaps we should expect the same or worst from TS5. A game where you just pose sims and prest "print screen" with a direct connection to twitter, tumblr and facebook to post them.

It's sad how different TS4 is from the original sims. Sim interaction is no longer a priority, making families is no longer a priority....instead it's angry poops, talking toilets and disney ads.

He's talk about the game's gameplay systems also further shows advanced in logic TS2 was....even TS3. TS4 on the other hand....
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    mannanna wrote: »
    Maxis EA's Matt Brown examines techniques employed across all four generations of The Sims to empower player-driven and emergent storytelling. It is from 2018 but I think it is very relevant. At the very end there's a short time of questions and answers where he admits Sim4 didn't really follow the previous game styles. It's a long video but worth watching. Now I am so excited again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjuOSgPdtS0

This was a really interesting find, thank you. :)
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • LeCastelLeCastel Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks for linking this, was a very interesting talk! Especially the part about the story progression; I love having a world that actually feels alive. Curious why it was mostly left out of The Sims 4.