Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gameplay Vs Graphics

fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
We all know that an ideal game would include both amazing graphics and in depth, interesting gameplay but which is most important to you? For me gameplay that keeps me interested comes first. I don't care how pretty your game is I won't play it if the story or gameplay doesn't keep my attention. I'm curious to know what is most important feature for everyone else? Gameplay or graphics?
Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn

Gameplay Vs Graphics 253 votes

Gameplay
79%
crocobauraauroraael14bshag4lvGoldmoldaricmnfrshwinkeljohn78GalacticGalIcewolfSamadamsPlayeralexspoom13IceyJSimmervillestoryysims2freak737SikoahGraceColorist40lisamwittoveronCamkatMLadyAzzera 201 votes
Graphics
20%
Brd709bandit5Rflong7PlayerSinger2010SimburianSirenLuminossekojranaAmj1995LizzychicagogreydonnAquariusMombluelightingAlwe1507BabykittyjadeSailorCetiAngelEb95catmando830MasonGamerMarkwilsonNiaraTiara 52 votes

Comments

• BuildingTheSimsBuildingTheSims Posts: 92 Member
    Graphics
    Graphics is first. With the sims games especially, good graphics make the entire experience more dazzling, for me. And in no way does nice graphics keep them from also creating a fun game.

As for art style i like the slightly realistic look a lot more and i hope sims 5 takes a more realistic appearing art style .Once i can post images , ill share a photo of a current game, that looks like how i dream of sims 5 looking.
    Graphics
    A nice looking game does not take away from the gameplay . It enhances it. It's 2020 and these days games are visually remarkable. The sims does not have to continue to look like a game from the year 2002 anymore.
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Gameplay
    Gameplay, hands down. It doesn't help if a game has super-duper graphics if the gameplay bores me. As long as I have a blast playing it, it can be 8 bit graphics for all I care.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I actually need both to enjoy a game...

If a game is visually unappealing to me then I usually loose interest. I couldn't get into the Sims 3 back when it was the current game because my PC hated it and I couldn't have the graphics set on a standard that I wanted. I'm currently playing TS3 now though and I'm enjoying it for the first time since I bought it.

Sims 4 is gorgeous. I'm so in love with the graphics but the game play lacks so much. I need a ton of mods to make the game enjoyable.
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 469 Member
    Gameplay
    Gameplay Sims 2 has the best gameplay and thanks to people who still make CC and mods for me it also looks good. Sims 3 game play is also good I’m not into how the Sims look but I was still able to enjoy playing the game.

Sims 4 has some style but not so much substance (Mods and CC are what saves this game) but I want more gameplay, new stuff... I love finding CC and default replacements but only if I’m passionate about the game and want to make it look as good possible because it’s a blast to play!
    Graphics
    Tons of good games manage to get BOTH right.Theres no excuse for the Sims.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited September 2020
    Gameplay
    Ideally both. But gameplay is the essence of ... the game. If that doesn’t work, all the pretty things mean nothing.

I am guilty of judging a game by what it looks like and if I don’t like the aesthetics, I’m usually not interested. Graphics mean a lot to me.
    Often times though I’ve gone back to playing old Atari games or interactive fiction such as Zork. These are games with minimal to no graphics but can be just as engaging as any stunning, graphically demanding game.

A pretty girl in a pretty dress doesn’t automatically make the girl an interesting person. If she turns out to be a complete nut case, I’d stay well away from her. :D
    Like I said once in another thread, It’s like many blockbuster movies. If the story doesn’t work and the characters are shallow or stereotypical, I don’t give a flute about how well the film looks, because I don’t care about the story. In those cases the looks are only there to cover up the lack of good storytelling.
    If the essence of a story can be captured and still work perfect without all the fancy CGI, it’s just a good story and it should work well in any genre, in any form.

Same with games. One can’t hide the lack of gameplay behind beautiful graphics. Obviously this depends on personal preference, but in most cases folks will lose interest and the game won’t last long.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,178 Member
    Gameplay
    Gameplay for sure. Sims 4 has a great art style that's complimented by its graphics...................................Does this make the game any good? Oh hell no.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited September 2020
    Gameplay
    It's a balancing act. I don't want terrible gameplay and amazing graphics, but I don't want terrible graphics and amazing gameplay.

It's a 30/70 situation for me, graphics is 30% important, gameplay is the other 70%.
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 469 Member
    Gameplay
    Tons of good games manage to get BOTH right.Theres no excuse for the Sims.

I agree we should have both in Sims games, games make on a shoe string budget have both, apps have both (Heck when Sims 2 came out I bet it was magical in every area, but in 2020 so my game needs a face lift, although I am a maxis match player, so I also like the original style) but it’s honestly my favorite game. So most simmers don’t have to choose in Sims 2 because we get the game play and thanks to the community can make our games look amazing! (You just got to do research first)

But this is EA in 2020 so we gotta kind of choose what we want (even if they don’t listen). So if we are lucky Sims 4 will either step up its game (and give us packs and updates that give us more to do while fixing issues that also don’t break our games) or other life Simulators will come out and get all of us as customers so EA will really have to step up their game for Sims 5.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Graphics
    If a game is visually unappealing, I have no interest in going further to find out about its gameplay.
    edited September 2020
    Graphics
    Can sims 5 world environment look like this? Art style wise? This is Planet Zoo...

The build mode in this game is also...truly, impeccable. It has no use for any mod like the tool mod, it can do what tool mod can do, its built into the building mechanism, in fact its more advanced than any building mod for the sims :)

fEMHW8Q.png

• DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited September 2020
    Gameplay
    What would we have the most beautiful sims for if they couldn't do anything? And that kind of reminds me of something...
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    edited September 2020
    Somewhere in between. I generally prefer attention for good gameplay. I don't need state of the art graphics, but they need to look good enough to get invested in my sims story. the look of the sims in sims 3 always bothered me. I could not get attached to those sims. So a little bit of both for me, with the balance a little towards gameplay.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Gameplay
    I like both. However, I don't mind the 2014 graphics, it's good enough as long as the Gameplay is great.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    Graphics
    Graphics. For my needs, the gameplay is already good enough, but the graphics look archaic compared to what's out there today.

But that's a double-edged sword. If they improve the graphics enough, it may get to the point where one would need a video card to play the game. That might leave many laptop users out of luck, unless they upgraded to an expensive one (like a gaming laptop)
    Graphics
    Graphics. For my needs, the gameplay is already good enough, but the graphics look archaic compared to what's out there today.

But that's a double-edged sword. If they improve the graphics enough, it may get to the point where one would need a video card to play the game. That might leave many laptop users out of luck, unless they upgraded to an expensive one (like a gaming laptop)

The sims 4 runs poorly on non gaming laptops anyway. I run sims 4 on ultra on a gaming laptop and its flawless. I also agree that Sims 4 gameplay is pretty good too. Just make sims 5 phenomenal graphics wise and also give back the create a style tool. Open world also.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Gameplay
    I don't care what I game looks like as long as I can play in HD and 3D. The rest is gameplay for me.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    If the gameplay isn't there then the graphics are not worth squat.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    For me it's both!
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Gameplay
    For me it is nice to have both excellent graphics and excellent gameplay, if I can't have both, I can live with good graphics, but not excellent graphics and below average gameplay. Sims 4 in my opinion falls into the below average gameplay and excellent graphics. The gameplay tends to not be inspiring where I can play for hours and come out and say that was fun.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Gameplay
    What is a game without gameplay?
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Gameplay is the priority, but graphics have to be “decent” by modern standards. They can be cartoonish, but the sims have to look like people.

For instance, I wouldn’t want the game to have deep gameplay but look like Game Dev Story, or any other Kairosoft game.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Gameplay
    Minecraft is a perfect example. Terrible graphics but a great game!
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    Gameplay
    Well, I never thought TS2 graphics were the best, but I didn't really pay that much attention. As the best game in the series IMO (even though TS3 is my fave) the gameplay is what drew me in and kept me entertained for hours on end.