Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Blast from the past. What the sims used to be.

Comments

• JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited September 2020
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    Alwe1507 wrote: »
    Justin wrote: »
    This showed up on my recommendation & gosh. Does anyone remember when the sims used to be fun, cheeky with humor & had actual gameplay depth ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w

I remember showing this to my mom when I was 10 because I was excited for sims 2 & wanted it for my birthday. I was even surprised she was okay with it lol. This is what I miss about the sims. Sims 4 has truly been out of touch for a long time. Not only with its fan base but with what made the previous game’s fun & had true gameplay value. It was a game that all types of players can find fun in. We have more packs in the sims 4 then any other title & somehow it still feels lackluster. Where’s the fun & humor now? How did sims 4 become so childish? How did we go from the old school sims to marketing on a kids YouTube channel for Star Wars Batuu ?

Heck, look at all the little details we used to have back in the day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LlWEvlW9jbY

I just don’t understand how the community has accepted what the sims 4 has become. I’m afraid of what sims 5 might turn out to be. I will always love the franchise, but I don’t love it like I used to.

Ahh, The Sims 2. Memories. 2004 and still my favourite iteration. If EA released a remastered version and cleaned it up a bit from bugs and glitches, I'd bin off The Sims 4 and have at it!

Sim memories. Attraction. Chemistry. Wants and Fears. Just some of the things making Sims that bit more likeable and relatable.

Sims 2 is not as buggy (at least for me) & there’s tons of mods available to help fix those pesky issues. One of the previous comments mentioned the mod community is still strong. Memories , attraction, chemistry wants & fears should make a comeback in the sims 4. At least fears. We have all emotions but fear. I would like my sim to be afraid of the vampires that come drink from her at night

Don't get me wrong. It isn't a TS3 lag-fest or TS4 bug-fest. I just meant, generally.

It's the graphics for me. I can't bring myself to play aged games 😔 I like attractive games and I fall for newer games and upgraded graphics cards every time 🤦🏼‍♂

devs know this. every company knows this. it's easier to trick the eyes than put actual effort on the product. what's paid is paid. and the sims 4 at least brings 10 minutes of fun gameplay until you realize what you paid for

Exactly this ^^^

A perfect example of this is the Star Wars Batuu pack. There’s no denying how beautiful the world looks but everything is dressing & once you dive into it the gameplay value wears off. Again, it’s subjective to the person but it’s very limited to what the sims is about & how simmers choose to play. “Play how you want, create your own story”? Not really possible with this pack. Like this quote from this review “ After only a few hours of the repetitive, mission-based gameplay, the novelty of a Star-Wars-themed Sims 4 Pack quickly wears off. Journey to Batuu focuses so much on the missions that it neglects the very nature of the game and the reason it has such a dedicated fanbase: the sandbox element”.

https://screenrant.com/sims-4-journey-batuu-game-review/
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I miss Heartshape Beds, Spiral Stairs, Boathouses, Motorcycles, Cars, Color Wheels, Color Slides, Nails, Claws, Body Hair,
    All-in-one Bathrooms, All-in-one Kitchen,
    Time Travel, Potter's Wheel, Bed Cuddling, Wedding Veil & Bouquet, Romantic Sleepwears, Fairies, Genies, Werewolves, Moonlight Falls & Bridgeport from Sims 3.
    I so wished they would all be in Sims 4.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    This showed up on my recommendation & gosh. Does anyone remember when the sims used to be fun, cheeky with humor & had actual gameplay depth ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w

I remember showing this to my mom when I was 10 because I was excited for sims 2 & wanted it for my birthday. I was even surprised she was okay with it lol. This is what I miss about the sims. Sims 4 has truly been out of touch for a long time. Not only with its fan base but with what made the previous game’s fun & had true gameplay value. It was a game that all types of players can find fun in. We have more packs in the sims 4 then any other title & somehow it still feels lackluster. Where’s the fun & humor now? How did sims 4 become so childish? How did we go from the old school sims to marketing on a kids YouTube channel for Star Wars Batuu ?

Heck, look at all the little details we used to have back in the day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LlWEvlW9jbY

I just don’t understand how the community has accepted what the sims 4 has become. I’m afraid of what sims 5 might turn out to be. I will always love the franchise, but I don’t love it like I used to.

Ahh, The Sims 2. Memories. 2004 and still my favourite iteration. If EA released a remastered version and cleaned it up a bit from bugs and glitches, I'd bin off The Sims 4 and have at it!

Sim memories. Attraction. Chemistry. Wants and Fears. Just some of the things making Sims that bit more likeable and relatable.

Sims 2 is not as buggy (at least for me) & there’s tons of mods available to help fix those pesky issues. One of the previous comments mentioned the mod community is still strong. Memories , attraction, chemistry wants & fears should make a comeback in the sims 4. At least fears. We have all emotions but fear. I would like my sim to be afraid of the vampires that come drink from her at night

Don't get me wrong. It isn't a TS3 lag-fest or TS4 bug-fest. I just meant, generally.

It's the graphics for me. I can't bring myself to play aged games 😔 I like attractive games and I fall for newer games and upgraded graphics cards every time 🤦🏼‍♂

devs know this. every company knows this. it's easier to trick the eyes than put actual effort on the product. what's paid is paid. and the sims 4 at least brings 10 minutes of fun gameplay until you realize what you paid for

Exactly this ^^^

A perfect example of this is the Star Wars Batuu pack. There’s no denying how beautiful the world looks but everything is dressing & once you dive into it the gameplay value wears off. Again, it’s subjective to the person but it’s very limited to what the sims is about & how simmers choose to play. “Play how you want, create your own story”? Not really possible with this pack. Like this quote from this review “ After only a few hours of the repetitive, mission-based gameplay, the novelty of a Star-Wars-themed Sims 4 Pack quickly wears off. Journey to Batuu focuses so much on the missions that it neglects the very nature of the game and the reason it has such a dedicated fanbase: the sandbox element”.

https://screenrant.com/sims-4-journey-batuu-game-review/

true. i'm so upset to see how this devs are getting so far from the main idea of the sims, which is basically a dollhouse where you can control everything and where the tools you are given have so many possibilities that you can do anything. but ts4? it's all the time reminding us how we are playing the way devs wants us to play, giving us limited tools where replayability potential is missing. they got no business putting rpg elements in a sandbox game especially when it's so poorly done. sims medieval is a great example on this issue. the game was basically missions you had to follow in order to accomplish a level. however although the game was fun for a while it lacked (apart of customization) replayability. all the missions, although with a different purpose, ended up being the same.
    ts4 devs need to realize that they're not knowing how to add mission based games in the game. and they should stop, the engine is already flawed in the AI department. i don't understand what's the necessity they have to innovate a product that already has a good formula, but even if they want to, they should know they can't. if they dislike the life simulation genre then there's plenty of games and plenty of companies out there that will gladly accept them. if ya gonna work in such an important place at least show respect for what you're doing and for who you're doing it
    edited September 2020
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I miss Heartshape Beds, Spiral Stairs, Boathouses, Motorcycles, Cars, Color Wheels, Color Slides, Nails, Claws, Body Hair,
    All-in-one Bathrooms, All-in-one Kitchen,
    Time Travel, Potter's Wheel, Bed Cuddling, Wedding Veil & Bouquet, Romantic Sleepwears, Fairies, Genies, Werewolves, Moonlight Falls & Bridgeport from Sims 3.
    I so wished they would all be in Sims 4.

I sure hope the missing occult’s make a return. Eco living would of been a perfect opportunity to revamp plantsims & those were one of my favorites because of how helpful they were with gardening. All-in-one kitchen would of also been great for tiny living. So many details that I hope make a return in sims 4 or sims 5. Only time will tell. Body hair! It’s one thing that should of been part of the base game. Heck I would love to see my mermaid grow hair on her legs & have her shave them like we would do inrl. “What’s this? Hair ? I didn’t know humans had this on their legs lol”
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    Wow, it was great to see all those TS2 trailers...definitely brings back great memories!

I've always felt that TS4 was too easy & too "happy". Nothing bad ever happens (or it's rare) & there's no real challenge to it. The traits don't really do much or add to our Sims 'personality', whims aren't really things our Sims want to do...the same walk dog whim pops up even though your Sim doesn't own a pet, & the emotions, which is what the big selling point of this game was initially, fall completely flat. How easy your Sim can swing from Inspired to Focused just by looking at a paining or an object. How easy they can have a fight with a Sim and be angry & 2 seconds later, give that same Sim they just fought, a hug. & cheating/jealousy....a Sim cheats & boom, all is perfectly happy again.

I think the developers have a huge challenge on their hands to make the next iteration even better. Going from TS1 to TS2, I feel like, there really wasn't much to compare to. TS1 for me was about staying alive lol, whereas TS2 just brought a ton of game play. So yeah, TS2 was definitely an amazing game. Sims emotions felt real to me...if they were angry at a Sim, good luck trying to make amends...if your Sim's spouse cheated, good luck salvaging that relationship lol. It was a challenge....you had to put in work...you couldn't just walk up to a SIm and be friends or romance someone like you can in TS4. & bad things happened....the unexpected events....you never knew when they would occur which is what made TS2 fun. There were consequences. & then the detail....and the depth...I can go on all day about how TS2 had depth....it was the little things....for example, kids dancing on their parents feet, teens sneaking out and getting busted, surprise engagement, slow dancing, etc.

But as you get more iterations, I think it gets more challenging as there's so much to compare to....& keep a balance of what carries over and what is taken out. When TS3 came along....a lot from TS2 didn't carry over. But IMO, I felt at the time, the benefits of what we got outweighed what didn't carry over. So what was "missing" never felt truly lacking for me.

& when TS4 came along...oh boy...so much stuff now, 3 previous versions of content to compare to. I can only speak for myself....but I had an expectation....if I had babies in TS2 & TS3 that were 'free' & to get them as objects in TS4, felt like a step backward. To see the babies jump from the crib to child age....completely missing a whole age group (toddlers) felt cheesy to me. The whole game just felt like a step backwards from what we originally had, and though I expected things not to carry over, there was just way too much that didn't carry over....& what we got...."better emotions, Sims with personality"....i mean did we really get that?

So it's not that TS4 is a bad game....if I never played TS1-TS3, I'd probably love TS4. The Sims look great. Graphics are amazing. But it's just very hard for me to understand why we could have so much gameplay in an old game from 2004.....and it's 2020 & the game still falls flat. If not for mods....I wouldn't be able to play.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2020
    Wow, it was great to see all those TS2 trailers...definitely brings back great memories!

I've always felt that TS4 was too easy & too "happy". Nothing bad ever happens (or it's rare) & there's no real challenge to it. The traits don't really do much or add to our Sims 'personality', whims aren't really things our Sims want to do...the same walk dog whim pops up even though your Sim doesn't own a pet, & the emotions, which is what the big selling point of this game was initially, fall completely flat. How easy your Sim can swing from Inspired to Focused just by looking at a paining or an object. How easy they can have a fight with a Sim and be angry & 2 seconds later, give that same Sim they just fought, a hug. & cheating/jealousy....a Sim cheats & boom, all is perfectly happy again.

I think the developers have a huge challenge on their hands to make the next iteration even better. Going from TS1 to TS2, I feel like, there really wasn't much to compare to. TS1 for me was about staying alive lol, whereas TS2 just brought a ton of game play. So yeah, TS2 was definitely an amazing game. Sims emotions felt real to me...if they were angry at a Sim, good luck trying to make amends...if your Sim's spouse cheated, good luck salvaging that relationship lol. It was a challenge....you had to put in work...you couldn't just walk up to a SIm and be friends or romance someone like you can in TS4. & bad things happened....the unexpected events....you never knew when they would occur which is what made TS2 fun. There were consequences. & then the detail....and the depth...I can go on all day about how TS2 had depth....it was the little things....for example, kids dancing on their parents feet, teens sneaking out and getting busted, surprise engagement, slow dancing, etc.

But as you get more iterations, I think it gets more challenging as there's so much to compare to....& keep a balance of what carries over and what is taken out. When TS3 came along....a lot from TS2 didn't carry over. But IMO, I felt at the time, the benefits of what we got outweighed what didn't carry over. So what was "missing" never felt truly lacking for me.

& when TS4 came along...oh boy...so much stuff now, 3 previous versions of content to compare to. I can only speak for myself....but I had an expectation....if I had babies in TS2 & TS3 that were 'free' & to get them as objects in TS4, felt like a step backward. To see the babies jump from the crib to child age....completely missing a whole age group (toddlers) felt cheesy to me. The whole game just felt like a step backwards from what we originally had, and though I expected things not to carry over, there was just way too much that didn't carry over....& what we got...."better emotions, Sims with personality"....i mean did we really get that?

So it's not that TS4 is a bad game....if I never played TS1-TS3, I'd probably love TS4. The Sims look great. Graphics are amazing. But it's just very hard for me to understand why we could have so much gameplay in an old game from 2004.....and it's 2020 & the game still falls flat. If not for mods....I wouldn't be able to play.

So true, I think a lot of us have been playing the sims series for years, know what's missing in The Sims 4. But if it's a new player playing The Sims 4 but never played the older games, it's going to be an awesome game for them.

Personally I still have hope there is going to be a better game than The Sims 2 in the future (TS2 imo is my favourite) but I do not believe it's going to be from EA unfortunately.

TS2 & TS3 has much beefy gameplay in their lifespan that ended less than 6 years. TS4, over six years is still a lackluster.
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited September 2020
    The Sims 2 was the golden era of The Sims... there's definitely no question about that! Of course, I feel a lot of this may be due to nostalgia, but the point still stands! I remember feeling excited for literally EVERY expansion and stuff pack! As much as I love Sims 3 (and yes, even Sims 4), there have been quite a few packs I was kinda neutral or disappointed for... but Sims 2 is definitely one game I can say I was excited for literally *EVERY* pack they announced!

Sims 2 was the golden age.
    Sims 3 was the renaissance age.
    Sims 4 is the experimental age.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I think instead of Sims 5, they do a remake of Sims 2 with the same ideas, but better-looking sims and maybe open neighborhoods.
    edited September 2020

I Feel the same way about the sims 4 having no challenge. In sims 3, you could do little things to your coworkers that could either get them fired or despise you. You had choices to make both in sims 2 & 3 when it came to your work or school. & there was consequences for each action you made (good or bad you never knew the outcome). I remember how hard you had to work to mend those relationships (also the one with your parents if your teen didn’t get along with you).

Sadly I don’t have much expectations anymore when it comes to the next pack or title simply because the sims 4 has already fallen short compare to its previous titles. But I hold on to hope that maybe one day we might get simulator as good as the sims 2 was/is. I remember how easy it was to kill your sim or how you can die so fast if you went just a few hours without eating & what not lol.

Even tho some aspects wasn’t included , we did get good gameplay depth & personality depth to make up for it. Wr also got good family & occult play with the sims 3. I would play for hours lol

I agree with you. Emotions in sims 4 are lackluster & all the sims act the same for the most part. There’s nothing unique about them not memorable. Especially the pre made families. No lore & story behind them like the previous titles. No family drama either lol.

• LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I think instead of Sims 5, they do a remake of Sims 2 with the same ideas, but better-looking sims and maybe open neighborhoods.

Also, updated features... they need to keep Sims 4's CAS and Build/Buy Mode... I'd also love for them to keep the 'Manage Household' option (which makes manual story progression for family building so much easier).
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    This is what my dream game looks like and I wish technology was good enough back when the Sims 2 came out to make it. I would buy this if it was the Sims 5. This is the absurdity of life I want to play with again, not the superficial, perfect life thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUc_VDWRAQo&t=44s

Honestly if they would remasters sims 2 instead of giving us sims 5 I’d be a happy camper. But even now sims 2 has had more gameplay & details for a 2004 game compare to sims 4 in 2020. Shouldn’t the technology be possible already? lol.

They would have to also add in the length of games we can play, as in Sims3. We shouldn't have to turn aging off to get the most out of playing our Sims and their families. I would also like the CAS of Sims4, the singer career (and that music) from Sims3. Then I think I'd be a happy camper. Right now, thankfully, I have mods to recreate what I want, and I play on Long.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member

I think this is the best idea I've ever read on here. :D
    edited September 2020

Also, updated features... they need to keep Sims 4's CAS and Build/Buy Mode... I'd also love for them to keep the 'Manage Household' option (which makes manual story progression for family building so much easier).

The manage household in sims 4 is actually a godsend . It’s so much more easier to split family & money especially when doing challenges. I hope they also keep the art style. I might a minority on this but I actually prefer the cartoony look rather then the realistic look from sims 3
    edited September 2020

Yes! And maybe add in more occult’s like fairies, mermaids & sims 4 style vampires. I think open world with sims 2 remastered would be epic. I really liked the retail in sims 2 since your sim would be stationed. Sims 4 they randomly talk to customers & sit on the chairs. Kinda immersive breaking for me. I hope retail gets improved in the future.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Exactly creativity is definitely missing! Back in the day the team tried to do things that didn't seem possible and if they run into issues they almost always found creative ways to solve them.
    However, when the Sims 4 team runs into issues they're like "who needs babies, cut them out" and then ramble on in the forums about how hard it is to make babies and not have the overlap with the sim's body holding the baby and all I can think of is "yeah, you're the programer, figure out a solution"...

Exactly. Society nowadays tend to make excuses & We see it more on the gurus side. Why? We’ve seen what could be done back when technology wasn’t even there yet. We’ve seen the dedication, the commitment & passion the developers used to have. We’ve just accepted that we get half backed packs with little to no real gameplay value. Why?...

@Justin Imagine if Will Wright had said "We can't translate what the Sims say in all the languages that exist in the world, I guess we'll have to make the Sims mute and have only the speech bubbles."
    But he didn't. Instead the team invented Simlish. If it wasn't for their creative way of solving problems we probably wouldn't even have Simlish. That's the kind of creative minds we need for a game like this!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited September 2020
    My blast from the past doesn’t go any further than 3 years into the sims 3. Which is only recent, relatively speaking.
    A couple of months ago I began playing around with Sims 2 and although I’ve experienced some great things about it, I can’t form a clear opinion on this one just yet. I simply do not have the insight into the entire franchise like many of you do.

However, I’m able to compare TS4 to TS3. I own all TS3 EPs, most stuff packs ( bar outdoor, diesel and Katy’s lollipop shop) and all of the store’s premium gameplay items and worlds.
    The list of features that I believe are missing in TS4 is still extremely long. Although it’s doing great in some areas, Sims 4 should have done a lot of things better than the previous installment(s), but couldn’t.
    I believe the performance issues in TS3 were such a shock to the ‘system’ and the fact that TS4 was meant to be online, resulted in a lot of interesting gameplay elements being cut out of the TS4 scenario. The semi open world still feels limited and it’s a shame there are no dive lots, swimmable oceans or a bunch of Sloppy Jalopy’s to drive around in.

I personally think TS4 looks beautiful and has the best BB and CAS despite the lack of highly requested options. I don’t mind that this is the experimental title of the franchise and unlike many, I can actually enjoy the niche, occult or story based Gamepacks.

Unfortunately too many core features and simple little details (bed snuggling indeed) that should make this game feel more like a life simulator, are still missing. It really comes down to the sims themselves. So much focus went into their emotion system, but it didn’t make them any more intelligent. On the contrary, they’re as daft as a rabbit hole witch broom. But then again, TS4 is not really about the sims themselves anymore. It’s about the pretty but limited worlds they live in and the rather limited things they can do in those worlds. Horse.

I admit, I’m still having fun, but I agree that this title is nowhere near up to the standard one would expect it to be after 20 years of sims.

That being said, once there is a body hair update I won’t complain anymore.
  • I got The Sims 2 working again on my PC on its birthday a few days ago, which took a while because I own the games on disc, but the effort was worth it. Just having incredibly responsive Sims is enough for me to pick it over The Sims 4. No simulation lag, no standing around, no walking all the way to their destination before they acknowledge that their interaction was cancelled, no creepy smiling, faster eating... Leave them alone for two or three seconds and they're off doing something, it all feels so lively.

I have a ridiculous amount of mods and CC for The Sims 4, but I can play The Sims 2 with only 2 mods and zero CC and I don't get bored.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • simoleanfairysimoleanfairy Posts: 8 New Member
    The Sims 2 will always reign supreme for me. I loved that game so much that I didn’t even bother with TS3 until after TS4 base game was out. TS2 really knew how to bring the drama and there are so many little details that make the game enjoyable to me. Some of my favorites are how my sims would spoon each other when they sleep, and how the sim who woke up first would just hold their partner who was still sleeping :'( . Or how the dad sim would come home from work and wait at the front of the lot for his child to run out and greet them with the hug, and how if the child was busy and didn’t hug him then he would walk away dejectedly. That game was made with a lot of heart and you could feel it. I miss the memories, the fears/wants, the attraction system. Despite some of its shortcoming compared to TS3 or even TS4 it doesn’t feel like it lacks anything to me.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member

I like good graphics as much as the next guy, but they're the icing on the cake compared to the gameplay. I'd much rather have a beat up old Chevy that runs than a shiny & spiffy Mercedes that doesn't.
  • RBLamberthRBLamberth Posts: 12 New Member
    I don't think Maxis/Ea should make a new game (sims 5). Instead of constantly introducing us to new features, they should try focus on the small details. I have only played the sims 4 but i quickly felt something was missing. Being a person who like reading into stuff before continuing playing i sat down and looked at the franchise. After watching a bunch of videos reading other peoples opinion on the sims forums for 4 hours i finally realized that the small details were missing. Opening drawers when cooking, the sim laying on the couch, the tv falling down, cuddling in bed (It feels to me like to seperate beds) plus a LOT more. Graphics are REALLY important to me but the sims 4 gave me the feeling that i was missing the thing that made simmers like humans. I know simmers are meant to be simmers and not any human, but i think we can all agree this is a life simulation (sorry if i'm wrong). After thinking a lot i decided to install the sims 2 plus all packs (they are free now). It took some time for me to get used to the graphics but the details was totally worth it! fx there's no real family hug (comparing to me). The hug that came with parenthood looked must of all like a bro hug to me. Really i wished that the sims team would make a "detailspack" if it was to expensive just putting it in an update. I hope your having a great day :)

(Sorry for my bad english)

(I've read in another but older thread that a lot of people missed the slow dancing, but sacrificial made a slow dance mod)
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2020
    RBLamberth wrote: »
    I don't think Maxis/Ea should make a new game (sims 5). Instead of constantly introducing us to new features, they should try focus on the small details. I have only played the sims 4 but i quickly felt something was missing. Being a person who like reading into stuff before continuing playing i sat down and looked at the franchise. After watching a bunch of videos reading other peoples opinion on the sims forums for 4 hours i finally realized that the small details were missing. Opening drawers when cooking, the sim laying on the couch, the tv falling down, cuddling in bed (It feels to me like to seperate beds) plus a LOT more. Graphics are REALLY important to me but the sims 4 gave me the feeling that i was missing the thing that made simmers like humans. I know simmers are meant to be simmers and not any human, but i think we can all agree this is a life simulation (sorry if i'm wrong). After thinking a lot i decided to install the sims 2 plus all packs (they are free now). It took some time for me to get used to the graphics but the details was totally worth it! fx there's no real family hug (comparing to me). The hug that came with parenthood looked must of all like a bro hug to me. Really i wished that the sims team would make a "detailspack" if it was to expensive just putting it in an update. I hope your having a great day :)

(Sorry for my bad english)

(I've read in another but older thread that a lot of people missed the slow dancing, but sacrificial made a slow dance mod)

I always wished they would make a "details" pack consisting solely of animations, interactions and of course details. But it would never happen 😒

The problem is that details literally "make" the game. I always say the big flashy stuff is not what the sims need. As much as I love the light saber fights for example, if I had the choice between that and being able to hold a toddler on my lap, relax on couch, snuggle in bed, make shapes on frost on the windows during winter (I do that all the time) sweep the floors, sit on the floor or counter, have kids hide under the table or things like that I'd totally ditch the fights.

Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    The Sims 2 is still there and you can still play it if you want to. :smile:

No, actually it's not there and you cannot play it, unless you already have it, or can find a copy on Ebay. EA/Maxis no longer sells the game, except apparently on the Apple store. I want to buy an original copy, not something from Ebay. I have a PC, not a Mac. I cannot play it. If I've missed it, and you have a link to where it can be purchase on Origin, then please let me know. Otherwise, please stop spreading misinformation.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Not one 'it's there' type post I've seen even hints about Origin, only that the game exists for those willing to look for it if they don't already have it. So not misinformation.. Due to the age of the game we are talking second hand unless you happen to find unsold copies in a store or at a yard sale somewhere. I got a lot of my TS3 that way. I did get UC from Origin about 5-6 years ago, but that was because of loading issues with my disks on a windows 10 machine. The EA rep was kind enough to provide the UC access code when I explained my problem. I doubt that happens now - too far along from UC issue. TS2 was issued on disks, so there is no such thing (other than UC) as an original copy from EA now.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    Some of the packs are available on Amazon US.
    $63 Base game
    $24 Best of Business
    $60 University Collection
    $37 Bon Voyage
    $23 Fun with Pets
    $60 Apartment Life
    $31 Pets
    $48 Seasons
    $38 University
    $15 Nightlife
    And various stuff packs
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 2 isn't really all that "outdated" in its looks, with a little help from CC. It can look really incredible.
    My friend Mortia plays a medieval game, and she has some truly beautiful pictures in this thread - https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/915458/the-kingdom-of-dallubach/p1

There are some other shots floating around of a sea, sky and pond overhaul for TS2 and the game looks amazingly realistic. I can't find them right now though; there was a thread in the TS2 section about it at one point.

I think TS2 is still the best of them all. I play both 2 & 3 but for different reasons. 3 is nice when I just want to play a single sim running around collecting, or traveling. I play 2 when I want to play large, fun families. TS2 always looks like it was made by people who really cared what they were doing, and wanted to bring the best experience possible, especially with all the tiny little details that were included in the game.

Subsequent games don't seem to have the care that was taken, or the showing of love for the game. Indeed, especially with 4, the impression is given that at least one of the developers doesn't really care about the game, and indeed seems to appear contemptuous toward it.
    The studio also seems to be so out of touch with what players want and seem much more concerned with shoehorning "social issues" and political correctness into the game than much else.

Edit - Also in regard to this "TS4 is the best selling Sims game of all time" , that I wonder if they count the times the game has been given away for free. Which is certainly quite a bit. To me, that does not count as making it the best "selling" game of the series, when it has been handed out like halloween candy.
    I am not sure TS3 has ever been given away for free, and they stopped giving away the TS2 UC, more than likely because it is much better than TS4
    Post edited by Pary on
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding