Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is actually insulting: A veteran simmers last straw.

2...Next

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Part of the reason it's not a full game is because they keep changing what they want to do with it, and getting a basic game out to the players who supported them seems to keep taking a back seat to that.

The Sims 4 isn't a game (one-shot development), it's a live service (long time development).
    It will be "full" when the service will stop.

Mass Effect Andromeda was a full game, it will no longer be updated, fixed or get DLC, no matter the complaints of the fans.

As long as the development is in progress, there is still hope.

There is no hope in this case.😑.I don't expect this game to ever get better.😟 .I lost hope

I have to agree with this even if Sims 4 is still in development does that give any peps , no here are more than 6 years and Sims 4 has yet to hit any potential it just makes these one area packs and plenty of items but when can I cut the cord so I can create my own Neighborhoods, my own lots as if they do it takes away one of their selling points.

It also has 35 packs. The others had in totals, less than one third of those which includes their stuff packs...

I can't imagine buying 35 packs and still feel like I wanted something to continue because I felt it was still not complete after six years and 35 packs and around $700 if bought at full price.
    I think my head would have a talk with me at some point to let it go. That no, it was never going to be 'complete' and 'full' just a milking machine I kept drinking. Everyone can think about that, in 35 packs it is still not what people hope for or want and or thought it would be like, a full, life simulator, with so much potiential that was wasted in a life span that has lasted longer than any of them. They got rich but what did players get, piecemealed content and the need to defend it.

I am often reminded of Linus in Charlie Brown comic strips. No, Linus lol, if the great pumpkin hasn't shown up in going on seven years and 35 DLC he isn't going to show up in two or three more years. How we let them snow us.

ETA: I measure things in time and money. Since the release of TS4 it has had 12,480 hours+ work hours in six years. This does not include the time before it's release. In all those hours (if a normal, full time, 40 hour work week) it is still incomplete and a mess...sorry, my mind doesn't work like the average player's mind.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    The ONLY reason I have spent my money on this version of the series is because of the fondness I have for Sims 1-3. I don't want the Sims to die, but, this is not the Sims I know.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I remember doing a chart on how much Simmers have spent over the past 20 years. It was quite the hefty sum. Sims has never been a cheap hobby and silly how it talked about like it is a cheap indie game, when it is far from that. If someone wants to play a more affordable game, Stardew Valley is where it is at without having to spend DLC. But I understand those without an income this year can't afford games anymore. I don't blame them with covid and the fires. I can understand why they want to spend money on food and bills than anything gaming with limited resources.

Interesting with the investing report here: https://ir.ea.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2020/Electronic-Arts-Reports-Strong-Q1-FY21-Financial-Results/default.aspx
    "Some of the factors which could cause the Company’s results to differ materially from its expectations include the following: the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, sales of the Company’s products and services; the Company’s ability to develop and support digital products and services, including managing online security and privacy; outages of our products, services and technological infrastructure; the Company’s ability to manage expenses; the competition in the interactive entertainment industry; governmental regulations; the effectiveness of the Company’s sales and marketing programs; timely development and release of the Company’s products and services; the Company’s ability to realize the anticipated benefits of acquisitions; the consumer demand for, and the availability of an adequate supply of console hardware units; the Company’s ability to predict consumer preferences among competing platforms; the Company’s ability to develop and implement new technology; foreign currency exchange rate fluctuations; general economic conditions; changes in our tax rates or tax laws; and other factors described in Part I, Item 1A of Electronic Arts’ latest Annual Report on Form 10-K under the heading “Risk Factors”, as well as in other documents we have filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission." In short a lot of expenses, how fast the company can adapt to customer preferences, and how fast products can be released and sold.

Sims related news: "EA posted GAAP net revenue of $5.5 billion. Headquartered in Redwood City, California, EA is recognized for a portfolio of critically acclaimed, high-quality brands such as EA SPORTS™ FIFA, Battlefield™, Apex Legends™, The Sims™, Madden NFL, Need for Speed™, Titanfall™ and Plants vs. Zombies™. "
    "Life to date, The Sims 4 TM has more than 30 million players across all platforms; daily, weekly, and monthly active player totals reached record highs for a first quarter."

So Sims 4 is still a quite popular game with 30 million players.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    30 million since 2014; they don’t list the record highs but like many other games it’s the impact of covid they can thank for the increase (people staying at home).
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yeah, when people (I was) locked down until way past July, yeah, I can see why it has record highs if people can't play TS2 or TS3, on Windows 10, many just don't even bother with all the trouble they go through to get those games to work on newer systems sometimes, not surprised any game isn't reporting record highs these days.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    edited September 2020
    30 million since 2014; they don’t list the record highs but like many other games it’s the impact of covid they can thank for the increase (people staying at home).

To be exact 2014 -> 2019 : 14 million and 2019 -> 2020 +16 million (+110% instead of the usual 33%)
    • Q3 results in January : 20 million
    • Q1 results in August : 30 million (+110% year-over-year)

In one year The Sims 4 got more players than the 5 first years.

Before COVID-19, already 6 million (+43%) thanks to EP07 Island living, SP15 Moschino Stuff, GP08 Realm of Magic and EP08 Discover University. In 6 months the results were already better than +35% year-over-year
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

To be exact 2014 / 2019 : 14 million and 2019 / 2020 +16 millions (+110% instead of the usual 33%)

I think the figure was higher than 14m in 2019. Either way doesn’t really matter that number is going to get bigger with Sims 4 being essentially free on Xbox Game Pass (along with every other EA Play game). The only people who care about that figure are investors. To players what difference does it make if 10m or 30m people have activated a copy of this game? It’s not like the devs are getting more favorable funding after they report how successful their game is.
    @drake_mccarty

Copy sold = money
    Active players = nothing

Sometimes active players who spend thousands of dollar are enough to replace the inactive players who didn't spend more than $100.

To be exact 2014 / 2019 : 14 million and 2019 / 2020 +16 millions (+110% instead of the usual 33%)

I think the figure was higher than 14m in 2019. Either way doesn’t really matter that number is going to get bigger with Sims 4 being essentially free on Xbox Game Pass (along with every other EA Play game). The only people who care about that figure are investors. To players what difference does it make if 10m or 30m people have activated a copy of this game? It’s not like the devs are getting more favorable funding after they report how successful their game is.

Exactly.

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Part of the reason it's not a full game is because they keep changing what they want to do with it, and getting a basic game out to the players who supported them seems to keep taking a back seat to that.

The Sims 4 isn't a game (one-shot development), it's a live service (long time development).

Mass Effect Andromeda was a full game, it will no longer be updated, fixed or get DLC, no matter the complaints of the fans.

There is no hope in this case.😑.I don't expect this game to ever get better.😟 .I lost hope

I have to agree with this even if Sims 4 is still in development does that give any peps , no here are more than 6 years and Sims 4 has yet to hit any potential it just makes these one area packs and plenty of items but when can I cut the cord so I can create my own Neighborhoods, my own lots as if they do it takes away one of their selling points.

It also has 35 packs. The others had in totals, less than one third of those which includes their stuff packs...

I can't imagine buying 35 packs and still feel like I wanted something to continue because I felt it was still not complete after six years and 35 packs and around $700 if bought at full price.
    I think my head would have a talk with me at some point to let it go. That no, it was never going to be 'complete' and 'full' just a milking machine I kept drinking. Everyone can think about that, in 35 packs it is still not what people hope for or want and or thought it would be like, a full, life simulator, with so much potiential that was wasted in a life span that has lasted longer than any of them. They got rich but what did players get, piecemealed content and the need to defend it.

I am often reminded of Linus in Charlie Brown comic strips. No, Linus lol, if the great pumpkin hasn't shown up in going on seven years and 35 DLC he isn't going to show up in two or three more years. How we let them snow us.

ETA: I measure things in time and money. Since the release of TS4 it has had 12,480 hours+ work hours in six years. This does not include the time before it's release. In all those hours (if a normal, full time, 40 hour work week) it is still incomplete and a mess...sorry, my mind doesn't work like the average player's mind.

I had to look at what I typed and I must have not conveyed the true intent of my post as I saw my grammar was wrong so I made corrections. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen

I have to agree with this even if Sims 4 is still in development it does not give me any peps , here we are more than 6 years and Sims 4 has yet to hit any potential it just makes these one area packs and plenty of items so when can I cut the cord so I can create my own Neighborhoods, my own lots as if they do it takes away one of their selling points.

Just like you said - 6 years on and it still hasn't hit any potential - yet Sims 1 & 2 hit it with far more less and more to do. No rabbitholes and with Sims 3 - the gameplay was lacking compared to Sims 1 & 2 (in my opinion) - but offers far more than Sims 4 ever has.

They have made it very apparent at this stage that they are just milking it.
    edited September 2020
    In January 2020, 20 million of players and 200 million units sold (basegame + packs) which means 9 of 36 packs per player.
    It's enough to bring several billion of dollar to EA.

I own 36 packs, it represents 3 inactive players who own the basegame only.
    edited September 2020

In January 2020, 20 million of players and 200 million units sold (basegame + packs) which means 9 of 36 packs per players
    It's enough to bring several billion of dollar to EA.

I own 36 packs, it represents 4 inactive players who own the basegame only.

I understand how the business works, however, from a gamer standpoint - you know, the consumers that provide the money for the business to even exist in the first place - the version that only exists because it is now riding on the reputation of the previous versions - it is bad in the long run for EA, as it just solidifies their long running reputation of taking once great games and turning them into shells of what they were or completely destroying them.

They have a long standing history of this and apparently they are too big to fail - but, as a consumer myself, I have tons of games on Steam and only the Sims 4 and several others on Origin - strictly for the fact that it is EA.

They lose somewhere somehow.

Their reputation is important to gamers - regardless if the "corporate" side of it agrees - in the long run.

Two random articles to say this isn't just opinion but a long standing history with EA:

https://screenrant.com/video-game-franchises-ea-ruined/

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20141205/05574329334/ea-admits-that-gobbling-up-talented-studios-then-ruining-them-isnt-working-out-so-well.shtml
    EA Admits That Gobbling Up Talented Studios Then Ruining Them Isn't Working Out So Well
    Failures

from the now-witness-the-firepower-of-this-fully-armed-and-operational-battle-station dept
    Thu, Dec 11th 2014 9:27am — Karl Bode
    EA, a company right up there with Comcast in terms of consumer disdain, has a long and proud history of gobbling up talented developers, then either obliterating them outright, or homogenizing them until the products are the very pinnacle of bland. Studios like Bullfrog, Westwood Studios, and Origin were all near legendary game developers when acquired, but are now little more than fond memories after ham-fisted attempts to cash in on the catalogs (Ultima IX, anyone?). Other studios like Maxis were similarly legendary, but now struggle to put out rushed, highly-flawed simulacrum under the EA banner.

After twenty years of such stumbling, scorched-earth acquisitions, EA's bloated belly appears to be full, and the company has finally decided that perhaps it should focus on developing content with the acquired talent army it already has. Company CFO Blake Jorgensen would even go so far as to admit EA's history with such acquisitions is "marginal" at best:
    "I think our history with acquisitions is somewhat marginal in performance," Jorgensen said when asked if EA has identified any acquisition targets in the industry. "We have some that are spectacular, and some that didn't do so well. It's a headcount business, right? You're buying headcount, and that's always difficult to manage in acquisitions. It doesn't mean we won't do them, but I think where we've been most successful is in smaller acquisitions that we've integrated very quickly."
    In other words, EA finally has all the talent it needs to keep rolling out barely-interesting Madden after Madden updates (shielded from competition via their exclusive NFL arrangement) and a decade of new, semi-interesting Star Wars games courtesy of its deal with Disney. If EA's stock is any indication, investors think EA has learned a thing or two about making friends with consumers, and the company claims it's working hard to change its customer reputation in the market (EA gave away several free games as a promotional effort over the weekend). Though dysfunction may just be grafted to EA's genetic code, 2015 might be the year that Ubisoft steals EA's consumer annoyance crown.
    edited September 2020
    I think the figure was higher than 14m in 2019.

EA didn't tell a number about 2019
    • Feb. 2019 : "our Sims 4 community grew by 4.8 million unique players last year"
    • May 2019 : "In FY19, active players in The Sims 4 increased by 35% year-over-year."
    • July 2019 : "Knowing that, we gave more fans a chance to get into the game through a 1-week promotion in May to download the base game for free. Almost 7 million players downloaded the game during that time. In addition to the base game promotion, total expansion and game pack downloads also increased 55% year-over-year in Q1"
    • October 2019 : " Monthly average players are up more than 40% year-over-year in The Sims 4"

Who cares how many players are active ? I mean it's not a multiplayer game.

Who cares people dislike what somebody like ? I mean people can complain as much as they want, it doesn't stop somebody playing or purchasing more DLC.

It is called expressing an opinion...
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2020
    I think the figure was higher than 14m in 2019.

EA didn't tell a number about 2019

Feb. 2019 : "our Sims 4 community grew by 4.8 million unique players last year"
    May 2019 : "In FY19, active players in The Sims 4 increased by 35% year-over-year."
    July 2019 : " Our Sims 4 community grew 35% in unique players year-over-year "

This was due to the BG being free on Origin......lol Not to mention it's priced the same as a SP on Steam right now and on Origin several times before. TS3 BG was never as low as 10€ on Origin or Steam and it still isn't! :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sooo....I have a seriously important question:

Do you think EA will have a giant sale on Sims packs soon to make up for the disastrous JtB reaction? .....because I've had my eye on Eco Living and the Knitting pack... :#
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

Do you think EA will have a giant sale on Sims packs soon to make up for the disastrous JtB reaction? .....because I've had my eye on Eco Living and the Knitting pack... :#

they will have a sale in winter I think they do ever year also I like jtb @MLadyAzzera
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited September 2020

they will have a sale in winter I think they do ever year also I like jtb @MLadyAzzera

Aw sweet...and I'm glad you like JtB because I enjoy watching Let's Plays of it (just not my cup of tea), but since most of the community gave such a negative reaction I'd hope maybe they would throw a random sale soon.

Oh, and P.S. I saw your whim problem on your signature...I use this wonderful mod to make whims useful/relevant again:

https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/sonstige-mods-misc-mods/

(scroll down to find the whimsoverhaul mod)

It adds new whims and has a more intelligent design as to the variety of whims that relate to current situations more effectively. I would have stopped playing a long time ago if it wasn't for this mod and Meaningful Stories.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited September 2020

Aw sweet...and I'm glad you like JtB because I enjoy watching Let's Plays of it (just not my cup of tea), but since most of the community gave such a negative reaction I'd hope maybe they would throw a random sale soon.'

Oh, and P.S. I saw your whim problem on your signature...I use this wonderful mod to make whims useful/relevant again:

https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/sonstige-mods-misc-mods/

(scroll down to find the whimsoverhaul mod)

It adds new whims and has a more intelligent design as to the variety of whims that relate to current situations more effectively. I would have stopped playing a long time ago if it wasn't for this mod and Meaningful Stories.

its a really good mod I do hope they add new ones in game soon I wasn't sure about the pack being good when I got it but if you like ja
    I think you will like jtb @MLadyAzzera
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    Just heard of the so called leak of info regarding what updates are supposed to come soon and it feels like a step in the right direction, this was a positive thing to see on my IG feed but once again and feel free to be annoyed with me for saying this but almost seven years it’s taken us to get there, and something just bothers me with the knowledge it’s only now we’re getting more filters and skin tones and such, and that’s just cas related updates, no mention of improved age groups and yes, I mean freeing babies because again, SEVEN YEARS, and while stepping away from the game it’s heard not to engage with the community or social media and just see how empty the sims still is when you have fans literally going back to the sims 3 and showing all it had to offer, some even spending hundreds just to make their computers able to run it when we all have a good idea of the immense power it took to make that game run somewhat decently. SOMEWHAT decently. I say from years of back and forth fixing issues, glitches, just to have it run fine and then the age freeze problem destroy any running legacies I had. Even that, now, doesn’t stop the last generation looking tempting enough to break out my old disks and throw it all back onto my new computer, regardless of the damage it will do.

This news is bittersweet, I don’t want to ruin it by moaning but then I also don’t want the influence behind it to go unnoticed. Even while not playing the sims, I want to still be a voice in the community and help get this game to a point where it’s okay, not great, not good, not amazing, but okay, and though my mental state toward the sims is heavily weaning due to all the problems and staff/EA being completely self focused and blatantly ignoring any form of suggestion or comment on how they’re handling this or even simmers pointing out the fact this game is not finished! It’s like steam where you see those games released but every comment under goes onto explicit detail as to how and why it is not ready to be released and shouldn’t be! That is the sims 4. Even with this update, it does not fill the void and neither will their upcoming excuses when simmers find issues with it. I’m so sorry to sound so unbelievably ungrateful and down bringing such cool news but, again, it’s bittersweet for me and again, I want to try, if anything, to help others make this game better, despite the break in between.

Yes, I still stand by this thread, while also accepting there is room for change, growth and acceptance in some circumstances.

I just want the sims 4 to be good enough to play or at a point where I don’t feel like playing it is like standing in an empty box with the sides cut, and it’s just a flat square you can’t even sit in because it’s just, hard paper.

Gonna leave this here and go check the soup I have in the oven.

Keep simming, friends