Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Renovate My House...

Comments

• icanhassimsicanhassims Posts: 790 Member
    Thanks, @nali272! I did have fun with it. Thank you for providing this awesome challenge series.

Btw, I keep forgetting to ask you how we should count the budget limit. For instance, do we gain the money we would get for deleting original furniture? Or do we delete everything first and then set the budget to the limit?
    Get 25% off with the code: SIMS4FORUMS My Sims 4 Portfolio
  • nali272nali272 Posts: 431 Member
    edited September 2020
    Thanks, @nali272! I did have fun with it. Thank you for providing this awesome challenge series.

Btw, I keep forgetting to ask you how we should count the budget limit. For instance, do we gain the money we would get for deleting original furniture? Or do we delete everything first and then set the budget to the limit?

I didn't think of that...how about deleting what is already available, but whatever furniture and appliances you delete is bonus money but not wall, cabinets, or plumbing, unless indicated in the brief. I will add that to the rules... thanks for making the challenge better!
    Try my challenge - make these builds better. (star the page for notifications)
    bK9v9z4.jpg?1
  • ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    edited September 2020
    Entry form:
    Origin ID: Clousinators
    Link to the gallery: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/BE006BAAEDA411EA8F5E08F72EC21B78?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=clousinators&max=50&maxis=false
    Do you want feedback from anyone? Yes please. Personal note: I figure the budget got a little messed up because I didn't read your comment on how you wanted it done until I had already started. Sorry. Also I normally put more decorations in but I had more budget issues and ran out. Also my first time trying xeriscape (I even had to google it lol), so I hope you like it
    Link to more photo/slideshow (optional): https://imgur.com/a/saQElxQ
    Pictures:
    6mEaIir.png
    Ikgk7ry.png
    UFiLWDR.png
    Post edited by Clousinators on
    edited September 2020
    @Clousinators, Your Xeriscape is stunning, thanks for the gardening space. I love how you made the house an art gallery with the family photos. The teal color of the kid's bathroom is a nice gender-neutral touch. Changing Allyson's closet into a canopy over the bed is cute. Jack will enjoy his science table. Turning the laundry room into a coat closet was a nice idea, then moving it to the master suite is something I would not have thought of. Speaking of the master suite the very romantic set up. The living room is now a cozy place to sit by the fire and read a book. Great to see the buffets put to use. The stone in the kitchen was a nice surprise… I don't think I've ever used it like that. I like the kitchen floor design. The dining room is more spacious and will accommodate this family of four. I hope you had fun and thank you for participating. I also enjoyed reading your slide show descriptions. :)
    bK9v9z4.jpg?1
    @AlJay, Beautiful entertaining yard for the family, the many sitting sections will be great for family and friends. The kid's clubhouse is so cute, loved how you shrunk the stove and fridge to kid-size they will be entertained for hours in the sandbox and pirate ship. Hanging lanterns from the tree…no words! The de-attached garage was a nice touch. Change the red brick to grey renewed the exterior. Nice use of the buffets. The spindle openings are outstanding... I would have never thought of that. Happy to see the family photos. The laundry room is more spacious with the removal of the half bath. downsizing the kid's bath and using the other half as their closet giving them more space in their rooms was a nice concept. Changing the family room into the office/library was a nice surprise. The master suite is relaxing and the teals are calming. I hope you had fun and thank you for participating.
    bK9v9z4.jpg?1
  • AlJayAlJay Posts: 1,649 Member
    Origin ID: AlJay2000
    Gallery name & Link: The Craftsman Reno
    Do you want feedback from anyone? Sure :)
    Link to slideshow: The Marshall House
    Details: After removing all the furniture from the home I found the total cost of the house to be $27,790 plus a $75,000 renovation budget should give me a total of $107,790 to spend and the total gallery cost came in at $99,643 (I can't math, lol, so I hope I did that correctly) I have taken the load bearing wall and replaced it with a structural beam and columns for support giving the living and dining area a more open feel. I have given Everett numerous gardening boxes for him to enjoy his gardening hobby. I have also given the kids a playhouse in the back yard with miniature kitchen and bunk beds.
    Photos:
    sXkGEQb.png
    7lcFvdd.png
  • AlJayAlJay Posts: 1,649 Member
    Thank you so much @nali272 you are so on top of things :smile: I only had enough time yesterday to upload my build to the gallery so today I was able to get my slideshow together. The tree with the lanterns was something I just discovered in live edit objects yesterday. I will definitely be using that one again.
  • RaynnRaynn Posts: 23 Member
    Origin ID: Raynn0124
    Link to the gallery: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/60F4E691F27611EA8503C2DBEBA66C98
    Do you want feedback from anyone? Yes
    Link to more photo/slideshow (optional): Part 1, Part 2
    Notes: I didn't see the conversation about the budget until after I'd started - I had placed the lot, set "money 75000", and started building. I had almost $9,000 left at the end; the gallery cost is $102,730, so hopefully I didn't go over budget.
    Pictures:
    e717509b49154f6c027345f18346e149f2a29440.png
    2deec3e74ab10dcf09cdf45cf60cb669e51eb84a.png
    2cf889f62286bf7eeb5d2d7e2b8bb0bb36507070.png
    a13ecbd9e62d3bfddf93490e006111cfe8e32a09.png
    a04045032d56285ae2a8deeb0eb1b7b9534724aa.png
    ec9366202ee3451d1c0659207ca6c65cad0146ba.png
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    Oh! This challenge looks interesting. I learned new things just looking at the brief and looking things up that I didn't know about. I'll see if I can manage to complete this in the next few days.
    I just went to take a look at the shell after work and I was wondering, how much of the original build will I be missing if I don't have Eco Living?
    @SerraNolwen, you are not missing out on anything in this build... here is a screenshot of how to find what is being used and what I did use. :)
    zGv3dCG.jpg
    bK9v9z4.jpg?1
    Oh! I had no idea about this! Thanks!
    @Raynn, that treehouse is sooo adorable the kids will love playing in there! Beautiful greenhouse. The backyard is full of entertaining choices, no boredom for sure. Your take on the Xeriscape is awesome, the gravel path brings it to life. Not 1 but 2 sitting areas on the front porch, wow. Loving the photo gallery, nice flip on the guest bathroom. Loving the photo gallery. interesting spin on the kid's wing of the house...shrinking the bathroom and moving the laundry room into the space. I don't if I would have thought of that. The science and sports themes are evident and the kids will be thrilled. The reshaping of the master bath and closet in wonderful, the master bedroom itself is charmingly calm. Thanks for the separation of the living room and dining room but opening them up to each other. Lovely Kitchen. Great use of the buffets. How did you manage to get a breakfast nook in the kitchen? Thanks for participating.
    bK9v9z4.jpg?1
  • QuasiattractorQuasiattractor Posts: 17 Member
    I'm not new to the game, but I have just recently started reading more in the forum discussions and really have enjoyed seeing what others have created and contributed here. I especially like to see how creative others are with homes and rooms. Thanks for sharing.
    @Quasiattractor, thanks for stopping by and leaving the wonderful comments.
    bK9v9z4.jpg?1
    Origin ID: SerraNolwen
    Link to the gallery: Link
    Do you want feedback from anyone? Yes, please!
    Link to more photo/slideshow (optional): Imgur link
    Notes: This was a very interesting challenge, thank you. I had to look up xeriscaping, and since I found that it is done also closer to where I live, I decided to go for less desert plants and focus rather on covering the place with wildflowers and sturdy leafy plants, taking into account the areas of shade and lower ground that would gather water. I hope the interior fits the design guidelines. I wasn't sure what you meant by "traditional chic", so I just tried to keep it classy and not too modern. Also, I'm sorry about the lighting situation in the pictures. It was a cloudy autumn day as I playtested, and it even started raining while I was taking pictures.
    Pictures:
    xnRceQX.png
    dGRTBuu.png
    Pictures of the other sides of the house + 1 inside picture under spoiler.
    T2dswkd.png
    QQ0QmPJ.png
    lB42hkq.png
    HDlJBEP.png
  • badxwolfxrisingbadxwolfxrising Posts: 69 Member
    I wish I'd seen this sooner, I found this via the Friday highlight and just realized it's due tomorrow :disappointed: I'm gonna take a crack at it anyway, we'll see how far I get. :smiley:
    I wish I'd seen this sooner, I found this via the Friday highlight and just realized it's due tomorrow :disappointed: I'm gonna take a crack at it anyway, we'll see how far I get. :smiley:

Go for it... and what a wonderful surprise to find out that the challenge made it to the Friday Highlights!!! :D:D
    bK9v9z4.jpg?1
    @SerraNolwen, the balloon in front of the kid's playhouse is delightful, made me giggle. Your rendition of Xeriscaping is wonderful especially at night, great job with the lighting. The scarecrow and birdhouse were nice touches. The use of the dead branches to fence in the gardens also nice. Thank you for the multiple play areas the kids will have hours of entertaining. Father/daughter on the basketball court will be unforgettable. Loving the stone in front of the fireplace boarded with a fence and the repeated use of the spandrels, the one between the kitchen and the family room is my favorite. I did not know that record player existed… I will have to look for that! And the way that you used a few family photos with the basket wall décor was ingenious… I almost missed it. Thanks for the photo gallery. Nice use of ALJAY2000 art in the home. Great redesign of all of the bathrooms and bedrooms, the master is very calming. The kid's wing with the addition of the coat rack is awesome. I hope you had fun and thank you for participating.
    bK9v9z4.jpg?1
    edited September 2020
    AsPQsz5.jpg

The Byer Briefing

Bryan Byer bought this historic Saltbox home… the previous owner made sure that the historical society saw that the outside stayed beautiful….umm because they had to. But oh did they rebel on the inside and backyard. He plans on getting married and raising a family in the future… but in the meantime would like to rent out the extra rooms to his friends. The budget is $85k

Gallery Lot ID: RMHByer BUDGET: $85,000 Lot size: 30x20 Floorplan: two story, 3bed, 2.5 bath

Gallery Link: Here

Exterior style:
    Saltbox. - Do not alter the windows, walls, and roof. Changing the colors is fine. You can remove up to 4 windows… but would it still be historic?

Interior style:
    Colonial or Rustic. Do not move the stairs. Any removed plumbing, walls, or trash do not count toward your budget. Any appliances and furniture do count towards the budget.

Landscape Style:
    Your choice

Issues to resolve / things to know: (MOO is on)
    • Clean / Fix the walls that have damage, water damage, mouse holes, and spider webs… etc ( Might want to change the house traits so this won't happen again)
    • Clean up and Redesign the kitchen and dining space
    • Re-decorate the pantry, laundry room, and half bath, replace the tile floor.
    • Figure out something to do with the back foyer.
    • Replace or clean the carpets in the bedrooms.
    • Clean up and redesign the living room.
    • Split the office into an office and gym, if possible.
    • Fix or replace the broken appliances… those pesky gremlins! (house traits)
    • Master bedroom, if possible add a closet, if not give him a dresser.
    • Master Bathroom - redesign and add an additional sink. May take space from the bedroom to make this happen.
    • Decorate the extra bedrooms and bathroom to be gender-neutral for roommates.
    • Update the yard for entertainment.
    • Brent has a woodworking hobby… please build a small workshop in the backyard for his table, if there is room.
    • If any money left - add a pool or hot tub…

Gallery TAG: #RMHByer - DUE Tues, Sept 29th.
    LDPNuBO.jpg
    4WyuuFq.jpg
    J5ZzKbX.jpg
    bK9v9z4.jpg?1
    Thanks, @nali272 ! I'm glad you liked my reno. It's always interesting to see which details people notice and enjoy the most. I'm very happy with the way the spandrels between the kitchen and family room turned out, too. As for the turn-table, if I recall, it's from Get Famous. And that coat rack was already there! I thought it looked nice and one of the swatches matched quite well, so I just moved things around, updated the color and added some decorations in that area. It was a really fun home to renovate. I don't know if I'll manage to do the new one, but I hope I can. It looks fun too.
    Just curious, which lot did you build this on?
    Just curious, which lot did you build this on?

Civic Cliffs, Newcrest
    bK9v9z4.jpg?1
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    This sounds like a very fun project.
    Why is moo necessary?
    This sounds like a very fun project.
    Why is moo necessary?

Sometimes I place things outside of the snap of the grid and when MOO is off it disappears.
    bK9v9z4.jpg?1