Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you recommend buying the Journey to Batuu Game Pack?

Comments

• pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Actually after watching lilsimsies review on the pack it’s kind of cool you can make a kids room a Star Wars theme like they are a fan of the franchise. Otherwise I don’t see where any of the things in the pack fit the Sims.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    No! I do not recommend it.
    Just read in another thread that visiting Baatu with occults is buggy, also wasn't impressed with all the early access footage. Wouldn't buy it, wouldn't recommend buying it.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Yes! I'm really enjoying it.
    I like it much more then I thought I would, I sent in reserve Sims to test the water since my main Sims are planning for their new years eve. But I think it is really fun and it has been quit a while since I spent so much time with one pack only. I am in no rush to complete my missions. I spend most of my time exploring and testing stuff.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Yeah if you want your Sims walking around in Batuu costumes

@SimmerGeorge SG_Romeo says this was intentionally applied and that it shouldn't happen in game
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member

Townies wearing random Batuu costumes?

*adds this to my growing list of reasons why I will never buy this pack*

If you go into the picture, a Sim guru mentioned that it was applied to her on purpose and isn't supposed to show up in other hoods. I'm not into it, but just so people know the facts
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    It's OK... Maybe you should wait for when it's on sale.
    After playing with it for a few hours these are my pros and cons:

Pros:
    1. CAS is great for living-off-the-grid type sims
    2. I like the grunginess of BB and there is a lot included
    3. The fact that Rey, Kylo, and the scoundrel leader have their own unique voices
    4. Some of the missions are actually a challenge (I've only played as a rebel so far)
    5. You have to upgrade and befriend your droid and they can help you on missions
    6. Lightsaber duels are fun to watch
    7. The world is beautiful
    8. You can stay in Batuu as long as you want

Cons:
    1. Apparently occults lose all of their abilities on Batuu for some reason
    2. Most missions are loading screens and grinding or rabbitholes
    3. You can't really do a lot with lightsabers
    4. You can't bring anything with you to Batuu
    5. No new traits or skills

CAS - 8/10
    BB - 8/10
    World - 6/10
    Gameplay - 5/10
    Overall Score - 6/10

The best way to play this in my opinion is as a fully immersive theme park. Either that or your sim got abducted by aliens and got placed in a simulator based off stories of Star Wars as a psychological experiment.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Pack is a total waste of money. See Carl's review on it.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,572 Member
    BB and R2 units are cool as hell in Batuu - once they are in regular worlds they're animated furniture. They'll move around if people play with them and if someone makes one angry they'll roll out to attack, but they're otherwise stationary little chatterboxes in regular play. They have follow mode in Batuu
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    edited September 2020
    troshalom wrote: »

@SimmerGeorge SG_Romeo says this was intentionally applied and that it shouldn't happen in game

The person who tweeted that said they didn't intentionally do anything. It was a legit glitch. It wouldn't be first time that something that shouldn't happen happens. Remember the tragic clown hair that all of our Sims would get? I don't know why you find it so hard to believe this is a real glitch that happened.

• SimyimSimyim Posts: 142 Member
    It can be a fun pack, but I guess not for everyone’s taste. The game style is a bit different like in the other vacation packs. There are no rental lots where you can stay, sims will be wearing situational outfits there, there are no new alien occult’s and it doesn’t seem to have much integration with the rest of the game (is it just me, or I cannot invite my batuu friends to San Myshuno?). The game will consist of completing missions for any of the factions to rank experience. There are also just three lots that are editable: Oga’s cantina, the Resistance Outpost and the First Order Cargo.

So if you are tight on a budget and you haven’t bought any other game packs, I would recommend others first. My order would be:

Vampires/Realm of Magic (occult players) > Jungle Adventure (travel players) > Strangerville/Journey to Batuu

(Of course if you are a family player, Dine Out and Parenthood go earlier :D)

That said - if you buy Journey to Batuu, I would do the following yo enjoy it to the fullest:

- Edit the three lots to your taste to add beds for your sims to stay in, and extra objects for more activities if you have other packs! Like the sparring training figures from Strangerville or the Get to Work science objects. Some builders are creating beautiful rooms in the gallery! And the little flying robots from University are great on the cantine!
    - Give a makeover to the batuunians. With the MCCC mod, you can even replace them with cool Star Wars characters from the gallery. Make sure though that they are from the same species (human with human, etc).
    - If you have Realm of Magic, the CAS can combine beautifully with it!
    - And lastly, the build objects, including the debug ones, look pretty amazing for the following styles: rundown, industrial, magical, apocalyptic. Depending on how you combine them, they can fit in a modern apartment too ;). They can combine amazingly well with Strangerville and the science lab/si can lot in Get to Work, or even Jungle Adventure, Ecolifestyle and Realm of Magic.

Must check though if occult characters retain their powers on batuu. And if anybody develops a mod to remove the situational outfits in Batuu, so Sixam visitors can look like proper aliens and so on, I would download it immediately! :)

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Thanks for all the helpful feedback - I'm not at all a Star Wars fan (I loved the first three movies that came out when I was a kid, but have zero interest in the rest of the series), so for me, it was a question of whether there would be BB, CAS and new skills that would be useful. I'm not really into futuristic stuff, so I think I'm going to pass on this one. I'm really loving the knitting and eco packs, so I can wait on the next pack.

Now, if they'd done this with Lord of the Rings, I'd have been bouncing on my toes to get at it :)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited September 2020
    I voted yes but with a qualification: Not everyone will like it, although I love it. I would say, if you are still undecided after checking everything out, wait for a sale. $10 isn't such a risk as $20, although you'd probably have to wait quite a while to get it that low.

If you don't like fantasy/SF play then don't get it, unless the CAS or build options appeal (which, if you don't like fantasy/SF they probably won't ;) ).

I think that some Family oriented players might enjoy it if they used it strictly as a vacation world "let's take the kids to Batuu". You don't have to play all the quests if you don't want to. Just bear in mind that you'd have to use cheat codes to add games etc for the kids.

It would be fun as a wedding venue for a geeky couple.

If you are on the fence, read the gameplay threads and watch some videos (with or without sound - I find it's good to "see" the gameplay without all the chatter sometimes). Check out the CAS and Build stuff. But really, it just depends on your preference. Even if I'd been iffy on the pack, I'd have bought it just so I could have a lightsaber B) - although in that case I would have waited for a sale.

edited to add a clarification at the beginning
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    troshalom wrote: »

It wasn't intentional, there have been multiple reports of simmers using townies mods and getting the alien "heads" on already existing townies.

There's also reports of simmers not using any kind of mods and getting alien baristas from Batuu at other worlds.
    Happy simming!
  • PotterheadSimPotterheadSim Posts: 320 Member
    I'm actually really enjoying the pack so far. After all the backlash and negative reviews I fully expected to hate it, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. But.. I know I won't play it again, probably ever. It just isn't the way I usually play the sims. And CAS and Build/Buy don't make any sense outside of Batuu.
    So unless you're looking for a different experience in the sims that you probably won't use after you're done with all the gameplay, I'd wait for a big sale.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I am having the most fun I've had in a long time with this pack. I do recommend it. However, I only recommend it if you don't mind story based game play and you like the science fiction theme. I think the CAS and BB are fantastic, but there's plenty of videos on you tube now showcasing all of the features and game play so you can see for yourself if you would like that aesthetic or not. It really is all of the one theme though, so if you don't like that, you likely won't like any of it. If that's what your into, it's a really good pack and there's a lot jammed in there for $20.

It's also probably one of the least buggy game packs I've encountered yet, so far.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    This is the type of pack that caters to a very niche group of players, so recommending this pack really does depend on your gameplay style.

This pack does suit my gameplay style, and so far, I've been really enjoying myself. It's been a while since I was this excited for a pack, and it was really nice to participate in the positive thoughts thread and feel super hyped for a pack. I found myself preparing builds and creating sims in anticipation for the launch day, which is always a good sign to me. It's not without a few flaws here and there, but the good outweigh the bad.

What I liked:
    • World Design - Batuu is visually stunning, and it's quickly become one of my favourite worlds to spend time in. You can tell the developers put in a lot of time and attention to detail when creating Batuu.
    • Star Wars Characters - I love that they added characters, like Hondo, Rey and Kylo, and they just hang out around Batuu. They all have their own unique accents too, which is a really nice touch. I think Hondo is my favourite, he's quite lovable in a way lol.
    • Droids - The droids are insanely cute and wholesome. I like that they can help out, by shocking other sims or causing a distraction, and it goes hand in hand with the Scoundrel faction. They can also follow you around and play music, which is something my droid does 99% of the time. DJ R-3X is pretty cool too, and he kind of "sings along" to some of the Cantina songs which always makes me laugh.
    • Missions - This was something that I thought would be a wash, rinse, repeat process. Some of them are, but I like to look at those missions as easy and quick money, so I don't mind. There are quite a few missions that are pretty challenging to complete, and can sometimes take me a few sim days.
    • Sabacc - This is a new type of card game, which is a great way to earn quick money. It's popular amongst the Scoundrels in the Cantina, and you can cheat in order to win the game. I've done this quite a lot and it pays pretty well.
    • Art Style - The art style is typically Star Wars as you'd expect. This applies to both Create-a-Sim and Build & Buy mode, and it has a post-apocalyptic, grungy aesthetic to it. There's plenty of earthy tones, and rusty, vintage looking decor, so if you're into that sort of style, you'll like the cosmetic assets that come with this pack.
    • Factions - Batuu has three factions that you can choose: the First Order, the Resistance and the Scoundrels. I like the ability to choose who you want to side with, or you can choose not to side with factions at all and simply enjoy a bit of everything that Batuu has to offer.
    • Music - The Cantina music is the bomb. I really love it, and I often find myself bopping along to the music every time I visit the Cantina.
    • Loading Screens - This seems to be quite a marmite thing for players, you either love it or you hate it lol. The developers added these movie maker style transitions for the loadings screens, and I happen to like this little quirk a lot. It's very old school Star Wars, so maybe it's more of a nostalgia thing, who knows?

What I don't like:
    • Batuu as a Vacation World - I said it from the start, but Batuu should have always been a residential world. It's disappointing that my sims can't live there.
    • Rabbitholes and Shell Buildings - For how big the world actually is, it confuses me as to why there are so many "shell buildings". A lot of it is just decorative set pieces, and I couldn't help but think that all those empty shell buildings could have been residential lots - after all, there's plenty of space for it. They could have at least made the Dwelling an editable lot with all the basic things you need to take care of your sims, kind of like the community lot that you first enter when visiting Oasis Landing in the Sims 3: Into The Future.

So those are my thoughts so far. If unrealistic gameplay is your thing, and you don't mind the very specific theme, then I would recommend getting this pack.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    Voting for my fella Canadian simmers, whom are hugely devoted to both frenchies. Current price in Canada is CAD$ 30.00. NOT WORTH IT! Please be REALLY PATIENT, NOT to be mugged by the price, fellow Canadian simmers. Truly worth of waiting for 50% discount, that would be only CAD$5.00 more expensive compare to currently CAD$10.00 more expensive.

:triumph: Me, perosnaly. NO~~~PE!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    Absolutely if you like new things for your sims to do. I picked it up over the weekend and have really enjoyed it so far. Its a pleasant adventure/cosplay hybrid that I didn't expect to enjoy, but I'm having fun.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited September 2020
    I liked it I use mods and I've seen no alien head sims
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    What I don't like:
    • Batuu as a Vacation World - I said it from the start, but Batuu should have always been a residential world. It's disappointing that my sims can't live there.

I would love it if they could add a worlds toggle, so we could choose to make a world home or destination. I often copy the lots & place them in home worlds, but it's not the same.

I've gone from "no way" to "thinking about it" now. Not an SW fan, but I see a lot of other players having a lot of fun with it. My only concern is that I don't want to see the characters & outfits randomly wandering around the neighborhood, what happens in Batuu needs to stay in Batuu.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I am enjoying it. But I am also solidly in the "buy the packs you like" camp. And this post seems like more dogwhistling over people dissatisfied that this release was even made, and that's tedious.

I really like the missions concept - reminiscent of The Sims Medieval, a fringe title I also really enjoy.

I like the ambience, I like the Batuu outfit enforcement. I like droids, and upgrading them, and using them in missions.

I like lightsaber practice & sparring.

I enjoy the Build/Buy assets and, like many, have been working on a Star Wars-flavored residential build for Oasis Springs (where I have wanted to place moisture vaporators all along).

A high point for me, especially: My favorite aspect of the Galaxy Far, Far Away's setting is the smuggler/underworld element and, while I am not a Hondo Ohnaka fan (give me Vizago from early Rebels, any day of the week), I do love being able to play a Scoundrel track, and not being pigeon-holed into Resistance / First order.

Recommend it? Well, yes and no. Look at what you are actually getting - not what you think you might get, or hope you'd get - and decide if you want it. It was worth it to me.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Batuu works well with Get to Work objects,
    Strangerville objects/build modes,
    Realm of Magic decor &
    Spa Day Wellness 10 skill.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    ldmarko wrote: »
    What I don't like:

I would love it if they could add a worlds toggle, so we could choose to make a world home or destination. I often copy the lots & place them in home worlds, but it's not the same.

I've gone from "no way" to "thinking about it" now. Not an SW fan, but I see a lot of other players having a lot of fun with it. My only concern is that I don't want to see the characters & outfits randomly wandering around the neighborhood, what happens in Batuu needs to stay in Batuu.

They don't. Only if you dress them up as such. Some people have had mods that caused them to show up where they shouldn't.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    I have seen a few videos on it by Game changers and even that say it’s not good for myself I want a BB unit or a R2 but not enough to buy the pack. It seems to be just Disney trying to sell there Star Wars park based on a world that looks like Tatooine but isn’t so it’s not even canon you can even get a lightsaber without becoming a Jedi and as we know only Jedi can have Lightsabers it’s part of there training to construct there own lightsaber.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    ldmarko wrote: »
    What I don't like:

They only need to go to Batuu for the missions. If you want to place the lots in the home world and play them there is fine for other things like gaining credits at sabaac and buying a droid and lightsabres. I put the droid shop on a lot in Oasis Springs and you can buy droids from it just like in Batuu. It's totally possible to have Batuu like gameplay in the home worlds if that's what you want.