Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Blast from the past. What the sims used to be.

JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
This showed up on my recommendation & gosh. Does anyone remember when the sims used to be fun, cheeky with humor & had actual gameplay depth ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w

I remember showing this to my mom when I was 10 because I was excited for sims 2 & wanted it for my birthday. I was even surprised she was okay with it lol. This is what I miss about the sims. Sims 4 has truly been out of touch for a long time. Not only with its fan base but with what made the previous game’s fun & had true gameplay value. It was a game that all types of players can find fun in. We have more packs in the sims 4 then any other title & somehow it still feels lackluster. Where’s the fun & humor now? How did sims 4 become so childish? How did we go from the old school sims to marketing on a kids YouTube channel for Star Wars Batuu ?

Heck, look at all the little details we used to have back in the day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LlWEvlW9jbY

I just don’t understand how the community has accepted what the sims 4 has become. I’m afraid of what sims 5 might turn out to be. I will always love the franchise, but I don’t love it like I used to.
Post edited by EA_Joz on

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    That trailer is fun but many of the funny animations depicted weren't actually included in the game.
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited September 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »
    That trailer is fun but many of the funny animations depicted weren't actually included in the game.

Ofcourse but still had more gameplay value & depth then the sims 4. It was also really fun. But When you compare the sims 4 to its other titles, the sims 4 is just there. Nothing really great or memorable about it other then the CAS & BB. It’s more aesthetic. I would play for hours & the game was always unpredictable. Can’t say the same for sims 4. Also, some of the animations shown in the trailer were implemented. If your kid had his playfulness skill high, they would do animations on the fridge by swinging from the doors & slamming it. They would rock their chairs back and forth, and do other animations. There’s a few videos on YouTube about it too.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

SIms 2 was objectively the best Sims game to date. Most options, most detailed and for it's time the best graphics.
    Sims 3 started the decline: a lot of things sacrificed so the game could handle an open world. But still far more detailed than Sims 4.

Sims 4 was purposfully built on an engine optimized for online multiplayer and nothing else.
    You have to remember that the reason why we didn't have pools had nothing to do with pools. The game engine literally could not create basements. Hence, by definitions, no pools since they were you know, below ground level. They actually released a game called "Sims" that had an engine they knew lacked the very ability to make basements. And thought that was acceptable.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    That trailer was amazing!

Funny how back then, we accepted it as a trailer and almost none of that was in the game and it we love it! Fast forward to 2020 and if they show one tiny thing... we rip them to pieces and condemn them for the audacity of "false advertising". Maybe it's because we get less bang for our buck now so we're salty, but we definitely don't look at things the same anymore.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2020
    One thing I love about The Sims 2 development was that developers tried a lot of different things in the beta version like the rain that was suppose to be in the base game as well as the fame aspiration which was replaced with popularity However they have failed but at least they tried to get creative with it. I even heard they attempted to see your sims going to work but that would have been so demanding for a 2004 game.

The Sims 4 removed toddlers and pools since released because "they want to focus more in depth personalities on the sims themselves" which was a shame because there really wasn't any unique in depth personalities or did they even do it at all?

Wish TS4 team have more creativity in the DLCs or the possible TS5 in the future
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2020

It was the same for newer game trailers

https://youtu.be/pQjzyPYovdU

https://youtu.be/sOPo5OUVgtM
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited September 2020
    This is what my dream game looks like and I wish technology was good enough back when the Sims 2 came out to make it. I would buy this if it was the Sims 5. This is the absurdity of life I want to play with again, not the superficial, perfect life thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUc_VDWRAQo&t=44s
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Such nostalgia! Oh how far we’ve come. Man I miss the Sims 2. I still play the Sims 3 but can’t run the Sims 2 currently. I do still have my weird Sims 2 DS game though which is great fun!

SIms 2 was objectively the best Sims game to date. Most options, most detailed and for it's time the best graphics.
    Sims 3 started the decline: a lot of things sacrificed so the game could handle an open world. But still far more detailed than Sims 4.

Sims 4 was purposfully built on an engine optimized for online multiplayer and nothing else.
    You have to remember that the reason why we didn't have pools had nothing to do with pools. The game engine literally could not create basements. Hence, by definitions, no pools since they were you know, below ground level. They actually released a game called "Sims" that had an engine they knew lacked the very ability to make basements. And thought that was acceptable.

That’s where the team did wrong. Purposely giving the fan base a game without those things until years later when people voiced their disappointment. Look how long it’s finally taken for skin tones to be addressed? Some people think the gurus are their friends or care about the community but they’re wrong. There’s not a lot to be proud of with the sims 4 when it’s taken so long to even get the simple things that were already in the base game of the previous games.
    edited September 2020
    Camkat wrote: »
    That trailer was amazing!

Funny how back then, we accepted it as a trailer and almost none of that was in the game and it we love it! Fast forward to 2020 and if they show one tiny thing... we rip them to pieces and condemn them for the audacity of "false advertising". Maybe it's because we get less bang for our buck now so we're salty, but we definitely don't look at things the same anymore.

When you compare sims 3 ambitious & sims 4 get to work, you did get more bang for your buck. In sims 3 we had salons, tattoos, detective , fire fighter , laundry , bake sales, new aspirations & traits, & a bunch of other things that’s actually too long to mention here. Sims 4 we only had 3 main careers & retail. That’s why I don’t understand how the community has gone to accept that. & you can’t say anything to the gurus without them trying to make some excuse or simmers trying to defend them . But there’s literally no excuse for any of it.

Here’s a comparison of Sims 3 ambitions & Sims 4 get to work.

https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Comparison_between_work_themed_expansions
    edited September 2020
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    One thing I love about The Sims 2 development was that developers tried a lot of different things in the beta version like the rain that was suppose to be in the base game as well as the fame aspiration which was replaced with popularity However they have failed but at least they tried to get creative with it. I even heard they attempted to see your sims going to work but that would have been so demanding for a 2004 game.

The Sims 4 removed toddlers and pools since released because "they want to focus more in depth personalities on the sims themselves" which was a shame because there really wasn't any unique in depth personalities or did they even do it at all?

Wish TS4 team have more creativity in the DLCs or the possible TS5 in the future

Creativity from the development team is what’s missing . I remember too when they first showed us rain & earthquakes for sims 2 while it was in development . I was excited for it but it didn’t make it to the game because they had lost the files or something in the studio.

As for focusing more on depth personalities, where is it? They sacrificed toddlers & pools for it but we have yet to see the results. All the sims in the game currently act the same & there’s nothing unique or special about them.

Edited: look here it is . They even had nice idle animations too. Unlike in sims 4 where you always smile & look like a maniac.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VKs75DgbNl0
    edited September 2020
    This is what my dream game looks like and I wish technology was good enough back when the Sims 2 came out to make it. I would buy this if it was the Sims 5. This is the absurdity of life I want to play with again, not the superficial, perfect life thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUc_VDWRAQo&t=44s

Honestly if they would remasters sims 2 instead of giving us sims 5 I’d be a happy camper. But even now sims 2 has had more gameplay & details for a 2004 game compare to sims 4 in 2020. Shouldn’t the technology be possible already? lol.
    I suspect a big part of the lack of story progression and shallow traits was the plan that we'd "make our own fun" by interacting with other players. Literally playing a doll house with each other.
    I suspect a big part of the lack of story progression and shallow traits was the plan that we'd "make our own fun" by interacting with other players. Literally playing a doll house with each other.

You may be right on that. I just don’t see how that would of been any fun. Especially since the sims game has always been “play how you want” & “create your own stories”. Why would anyone want to play with a complete stranger? Or a troll who would ruin your story in game.
    Justin wrote: »

You may be right on that. I just don’t see how that would of been any fun. Especially since the sims game has always been “play how you want” & “create your own stories”. Why would anyone want to play with a complete stranger? Or a troll who would ruin your story in game.

See, we have a perfect example from another developer: Bethesda with Fallout 76. At release it had no story no NPCs only players meant to interact with each other. Turns out it wasn't fun so they had to patch in Fallout into Fallout.

See, we have a perfect example from another developer: Bethesda with Fallout 76. At release it had no story no NPCs only players meant to interact with each other. Turns out it wasn't fun so they had to patch in Fallout into Fallout.

I suspect sims 5 would be based online. Especially with the attitude the gurus are coming off as. “we hear you. We just don’t care. But we are going to give you packs we think you’ll like”. Lol
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Exactly creativity is definitely missing! Back in the day the team tried to do things that didn't seem possible and if they run into issues they almost always found creative ways to solve them.
    However, when the Sims 4 team runs into issues they're like "who needs babies, cut them out" and then ramble on in the forums about how hard it is to make babies and not have the overlap with the sim's body holding the baby and all I can think of is "yeah, you're the programer, figure out a solution"...
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    edited September 2020
    Exactly creativity is definitely missing! Back in the day the team tried to do things that didn't seem possible and if they run into issues they almost always found creative ways to solve them.
    However, when the Sims 4 team runs into issues they're like "who needs babies, cut them out" and then ramble on in the forums about how hard it is to make babies and not have the overlap with the sim's body holding the baby and all I can think of is "yeah, you're the programer, figure out a solution"...

Exactly. Society nowadays tend to make excuses & We see it more on the gurus side. Why? We’ve seen what could be done back when technology wasn’t even there yet. We’ve seen the dedication, the commitment & passion the developers used to have. We’ve just accepted that we get half backed packs with little to no real gameplay value. Why?...

You would think as professional programmer who went to school to study & master the field , they’d be able to make new animations. Not recycled. Modders make the developers look bad. They are able to do things with little resources they have but a big company with “experts” can’t? The modding community shouldn’t be the answer to all our problems. Even with as many mods you have in game, it still feels incomplete. You can only do so much with a game that is shallow at its core.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    Thank you for that wonderful trip down memory lane! Almost makes me want to load my Sims 2 game. Almost. 😄
    edited September 2020
    Thank you for that wonderful trip down memory lane! Almost makes me want to load my Sims 2 game. Almost. 😄

Lol it runs smoother & faster for me nowadays. Thanks for popping in :)
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I miss this so much. I feel like somewhere between the Sims 3 and 4 the franchise has lost it's identity. It's not even about the sims anymore. It's more about representation, political correctness and creating ones self than it is about telling stories and having fun with the actual sims. I miss the humor and I very much miss the quality.

I'm enjoying the Sims 4 currently but my enjoyment isn't found without the creativity of our wonderful modders and lot of effort from me to keep these mods updated in my game with each new patch or pack release. I must have around 50 mods or so installed in my game in order for the Sims 4 to be enjoyable and even with all these mods it still lacks a lot. I never needed anywhere near this number of mods to enjoy the previous iterations.

The development team seem to be taking the franchise in a different direction and I don't think I like where it's heading. It's only survived this long because it's still riding on the back of the previous games reputations and it so far it has no real competition. I think it will be interesting to see what happens when some actual competition does arrive on the life simulator scene. I've started following the development of Paralives and Little Sim World because I feel like I'm getting close to jumping ship from this franchise until I see some real improvements.

Lol it runs smoother & faster for me nowadays. Thanks for popping in :)

Same. I have no problem running it. Along with my 9 GB of mods and custom content. There were some awesome custom content creators for Sims 2 back in the day. Haven't kept current so not familiar with what's available now.
  • Justin wrote: »

I suspect sims 5 would be based online. Especially with the attitude the gurus are coming off as. “we hear you. We just don’t care. But we are going to give you packs we think you’ll like”. Lol

So much this! ^^^

Definitely going to be the Sims version of Fallout 76, a part of me is already getting the cringe belly cramps just thinking about it. No NPCs, trolls burning our houses down or kicking our trash cans over, Microtransactions and loot crates galore to get any decent CAS or BB. In fact, there will be like 5 basic items to start you off and it will all be in an online store/pack to buy on top of base game prices. Just you wait it’ll make base game Sims 4 look like a treasure trove! Just look at any online MMO right now and that’s how it will go down.

It’s why I’m not on the Sims 5 hype train. It’s definitely going to be better the devil you know in this case. You think they aren’t listening now and it can’t get any worse. As a seasoned MMORPG player, oh my sweet summer children you have no idea the Pandora’s Box that will be opened. May we weather these stormy online seas well.

P.S: God the trolls. The trolls already fill me with anxiety. I played RDR2 online when it was new and my lord the trolls. It was horrendous.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,777 Member
    Haven't kept current so not familiar with what's available now.
    In past 3 years, LOTS :) Both, visual and gameplay mods. Still active modding community.
    Just an example, sea and pond water overhaul, custom animated skies and seasonal horizons.
    Sims2-EP9-2018-12-04-03-22-23-69.jpg
    t4sE6vs.jpg
    rnJobQS.jpg
    (ignore the bottles, lol)

Custom edible food , also work with OFB.
    Sims2-EP9-2019-04-30-03-05-29-52.jpg

I stop now so I will not bore anyone :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina