Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Homes in Literature Build Challenge: *CLOSED*

Comments

• JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    edited August 2020
    Well, it’s up . . . But not furnished and landscaped

@Taoron your build is lovely! The interior is Homey and the outdoor spaces are so lush. It’s very believable. There are so many possibilities for this time period.
    edited August 2020
    Thank you @rosemow! I’m kind of plotting a ringer washer but well see
  • TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
    Well, it’s up . . . But not furnished and landscaped

@Taoron your build is lovely! The interior is Homey and the outdoor spaces are so lush. It’s very believable. There are so many possibilities for this time period.

Awww...Thank you, so much @JojoMOMSTER I can't wait to see your build. Did you check out that link I posted, in reply to your finding some Architectural stuff for that period? I want to build so many of those houses! LOL Great inspiration, for 100 year old homes, be it if you follow the plans or not.
    Thank you @rosemow! I’m kind of plotting a ringer washer but well see

Awesome! I gave up and put up a clothesline. No way I was going to use a modern one. LOL I'm so Plum Retentive sometimes. (Plum added because I figured that particular phrase would be flagged anyway)
    @Taoron, I did go through it! Too many good ones I agree!
    Hi @Taoron i have not made it back into my game. I will still finish that build just for fun and post it but I won’t have it done for the challenge window.
    Hi @Taoron i have not made it back into my game. I will still finish that build just for fun and post it but I won’t have it done for the challenge window.

It's all good. I'm not sure that anyone else is going to finish. Sadly, I've not heard from anyone else about it. I am looking forward to seeing what you have done.

Well, that didn't go well. Bummer.

I'll try once more and retire this Challenge, if no one is interested.

I don't see any reason to review my own build.
    edited September 2020
    The Homes in Literature Build Challenge #6: The Merchant of Venice: William Shakespeare

I love Shakespeare. Bill and I go way back. I’ve performed many of his Characters on the stage and every one, is always a joy to get into the head of, create and play.

One of my favorites, was Antonio, in ‘The Merchant of Venice’. (At least for the purposes of Building is concerned, for this Challenge)

So, for this challenge. I want to see Classical Venetian.

So, let’s discuss the elements I will be looking for, in a Venetian designed home.

Classic Venetian homes take elements of all kinds of Classical styles (they were thieves, after all), and being the center of the Renaissance movement, they used everything they could get their hands on, Gothic, Byzantine, Ottoman and influences of Baroque and Rocco.

I will be looking for:

Tall Spaces Venetian interiors are grand in aesthetic. This means that their proportions are certainly different from the regular contemporary and modern interiors that have defined our generation. The physical space manipulation of a Venetian interior design requires the area to seem large, spacious and tall at the same time. The tallness, combined with all the other ornate elements of Venetian interior design, make the space seem balanced, rather than stuffy and overbearing. The tallness of a Venetian interior could be carried out by using double height spaces along with intrinsic design elements like pilasters, columns and tall windows.

Arches Arches are a core part of Venetian interior design. Barrel arches are simple, semi-circular toppings to a normal window or door portal.

A Central Hall The element of a central hall was added to the layout of a Venetian interior design. This central hall was called a portego. It is wide and spacious, square in form and layout, often with wainscoting as wall design elements and a central seating space with a chandelier hanging down from the very middle of the ceiling. Like all Venetian interiors, the portego was tall in height, which makes it seem almost cavernous. This adds to the grand aura of the ambiance. It also makes the interior seem opulent and capacious.

Loggias A loggia is a gallery or a room attached to the house with one or more open sides, and looks out upon a garden or open space. Loggias are an important part of Venetian interiors.

Colors The color palate of the Venetian interior design runs the gamut of the warm end of the color wheel spectrum. Venetian interiors use rich colors like burgundy, dark reds, bright blues and muted yellows and tans. This makes the overall impact of the Venetian interiors warm and rich. The muted color schemes are used to imitate natural colors. The brighter colors are usually articulated through the furniture, drapes and floor furnishings, while the softer colors are incorporated in the walls, trimmings and accents.

Light The lights in Venetian interiors are used to ramp up the tradition and drama of the overall ambiance. The light source emanates a soft, golden glow, which enhances the rich color scheme of the interior. There are two ways in which lighting can be used in Venetian interiors. Wall fixtures are used to create dramatic effects of light and shadow, while chandeliers are used as a room centerpiece and creates an impact as a part of the room decor, as a whole.

Materials and textures The most popular wall covering in Venetian design is plaster, giving a depth and texture to all wall surfaces.

Window Treatements Venetian interior design is severely traditional, so windows and/or large doorways are usually covered by heavy drapes and curtains. In the past, these curtains and drapes used to be made in damask, silk or velvet to enrich the overall ambiance of the interior. Neo-Venetian interiors can, however use drapes and curtains made of more modern materials. These curtains are chosen in rich colors that enhance the traditional aspect of the interior.

Large Mirrors Traditional girandole mirrors were round in shape, with candle arms attached at the top. However, throughout the ages, these mirrors have seen an evolution in design and come in rectangular, square or even composite shapes. They also have elaborate mirror frames that have complicated, intertwined floral designs. These frames are always finished in gold paint, and the mirror is always a centerpiece on the feature wall. Initially, these mirrors were used to reflect light throughout the interiors, but now they can be used as decorative elements only.

Other major components include, Ornate Furniture, Polished Terrazzo Flooring, Oriental Rugs and for the overambitious among you, I have uploaded in my Gallery,. Coffered, Painted and Textures Ceiling paintings, that would fit right in nicely, with your Venetian Home.

My apologies for the lengthy nature, but I really wanted to make sure the style hit home and gave you a good direction to go.

Lot Challenge: A Classical Venetian Home: Any Lot size. No budget. Go nuts.

Room Challenge: For the Room Challenge, I would love to see your grandiose Central Hall.

Sims Challenge: Create a Venetian Family, from any time period, to live in your newly constructed Venetian Home.

I look forward to seeing your creations!

Please use the whole of hashtag #LiteraryBuildChallenge6 when you upload your creations. Any build, room or household without this hashtag will not be considered for Maxis Fave nomination.

The deadline for this challenge is Wednesday, September 16th , 2020 ** [no later than 23:59:59 EDT/New York Time]

BUILD ENTRY FORM
    Venetian Home Challenge - The Merchant of Venice: William Shakespeare

BUILD ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and House Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    NEW LOT LINK: (Link to where your build can be found on The Gallery)
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW:
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry. Please include Links to other resources you may have found)
    CREDITS: (Please Tag Art Creators whose art you used, if any)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two please)

ROOM ENTRY FORM
    Venetian Central Hall - Venetian Home Challenge - The Merchant of Venice: William Shakespeare

ROOM ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    ROOM: (Link to where the room can be found with on The Gallery)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (Please create a seperate Slideshow for the Room, from your Home Emtry)
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)

SIMS ENTRY FORM
    Venetian Family - Venetian Home Challenge - The Merchant of Venice: William Shakespeare

SIM ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and Family Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    HOUSEHOLD: (Link to where the household can be found with on The Gallery)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (Please create a seperate slideshow of the family, from the Home or Room Slideshows)
    Post edited by Taoron on
    Just checking in so see if anyone is planning this one. Mine has been pushed back a week or so due to PC and flooding issues. Looking forward to seeing your creations.
    @Taoron Ummm . . well . . . hopefully . .
    The summers here are short and fleeting, I have not really been in my game much.
    D8Ak9uB.png

I have not forgotten about this guy either.
    He looks very sad and unoccupied at the moment.
    NR5OLVp.png
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited September 2020
    Hello, I just wanted to say it is such an interesting idea for a build challenge, the theme of houses in literature.
    I have not read The Merchant though, and am unfamiliar with the period, and I have little time till the 20th of September; so while I kind of wanted to try this, I think I'll wait til the next challenge. Just thought I'd say that it sounded great.
  • tatselktatselk Posts: 519 Member
    Taoron wrote: »
    The Homes in Literature Build Challenge #6: The Merchant of Venice: William Shakespeare

I love Shakespeare. Bill and I go way back. I’ve performed many of his Characters on the stage and every one, is always a joy to get into the head of, create and play.

One of my favorites, was Antonio, in ‘The Merchant of Venice’. (At least for the purposes of Building is concerned, for this Challenge)

So, for this challenge. I want to see Classical Venetian.

So, let’s discuss the elements I will be looking for, in a Venetian designed home.

Classic Venetian homes take elements of all kinds of Classical styles (they were thieves, after all), and being the center of the Renaissance movement, they used everything they could get their hands on, Gothic, Byzantine, Ottoman and influences of Baroque and Rocco.

I will be looking for:

Tall Spaces Venetian interiors are grand in aesthetic. This means that their proportions are certainly different from the regular contemporary and modern interiors that have defined our generation. The physical space manipulation of a Venetian interior design requires the area to seem large, spacious and tall at the same time. The tallness, combined with all the other ornate elements of Venetian interior design, make the space seem balanced, rather than stuffy and overbearing. The tallness of a Venetian interior could be carried out by using double height spaces along with intrinsic design elements like pilasters, columns and tall windows.

Arches Arches are a core part of Venetian interior design. Barrel arches are simple, semi-circular toppings to a normal window or door portal.

A Central Hall The element of a central hall was added to the layout of a Venetian interior design. This central hall was called a portego. It is wide and spacious, square in form and layout, often with wainscoting as wall design elements and a central seating space with a chandelier hanging down from the very middle of the ceiling. Like all Venetian interiors, the portego was tall in height, which makes it seem almost cavernous. This adds to the grand aura of the ambiance. It also makes the interior seem opulent and capacious.

Loggias A loggia is a gallery or a room attached to the house with one or more open sides, and looks out upon a garden or open space. Loggias are an important part of Venetian interiors.

Colors The color palate of the Venetian interior design runs the gamut of the warm end of the color wheel spectrum. Venetian interiors use rich colors like burgundy, dark reds, bright blues and muted yellows and tans. This makes the overall impact of the Venetian interiors warm and rich. The muted color schemes are used to imitate natural colors. The brighter colors are usually articulated through the furniture, drapes and floor furnishings, while the softer colors are incorporated in the walls, trimmings and accents.

Light The lights in Venetian interiors are used to ramp up the tradition and drama of the overall ambiance. The light source emanates a soft, golden glow, which enhances the rich color scheme of the interior. There are two ways in which lighting can be used in Venetian interiors. Wall fixtures are used to create dramatic effects of light and shadow, while chandeliers are used as a room centerpiece and creates an impact as a part of the room decor, as a whole.

Materials and textures The most popular wall covering in Venetian design is plaster, giving a depth and texture to all wall surfaces.

Window Treatements Venetian interior design is severely traditional, so windows and/or large doorways are usually covered by heavy drapes and curtains. In the past, these curtains and drapes used to be made in damask, silk or velvet to enrich the overall ambiance of the interior. Neo-Venetian interiors can, however use drapes and curtains made of more modern materials. These curtains are chosen in rich colors that enhance the traditional aspect of the interior.

Large Mirrors Traditional girandole mirrors were round in shape, with candle arms attached at the top. However, throughout the ages, these mirrors have seen an evolution in design and come in rectangular, square or even composite shapes. They also have elaborate mirror frames that have complicated, intertwined floral designs. These frames are always finished in gold paint, and the mirror is always a centerpiece on the feature wall. Initially, these mirrors were used to reflect light throughout the interiors, but now they can be used as decorative elements only.

Other major components include, Ornate Furniture, Polished Terrazzo Flooring, Oriental Rugs and for the overambitious among you, I have uploaded in my Gallery,. Coffered, Painted and Textures Ceiling paintings, that would fit right in nicely, with your Venetian Home.

My apologies for the lengthy nature, but I really wanted to make sure the style hit home and gave you a good direction to go.

Lot Challenge: A Classical Venetian Home: Any Lot size. No budget. Go nuts.

Room Challenge: For the Room Challenge, I would love to see your grandiose Central Hall.

Sims Challenge: Create a Venetian Family, from any time period, to live in your newly constructed Venetian Home.

I look forward to seeing your creations!

Please use the whole of hashtag #LiteraryBuildChallenge5 when you upload your creations. Any build, room or household without this hashtag will not be considered for Maxis Fave nomination.

The deadline for this challenge is Wednesday, September 16th , 2020 ** [no later than 23:59:59 EDT/New York Time]

BUILD ENTRY FORM
    Venetian Home Challenge - The Merchant of Venice: William Shakespeare

BUILD ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    NEW LOT LINK: (Link to where your build can be found on The Gallery)
    LINK TO SLIDESHOW:
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry. Please include Links to other resources you may have found)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two please)

ROOM ENTRY FORM
    Venetian Central Hall - Venetian Home Challenge - The Merchant of Venice: William Shakespeare

ROOM ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    ROOM: (Link to where the room can be found with on The Gallery)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (Please create a seperate Slideshow for the Room, from your Home Emtry)

SIMS ENTRY FORM
    Venetian Family - Venetian Home Challenge - The Merchant of Venice: William Shakespeare

SIM ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE - (Number and Family Name)
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    HOUSEHOLD: (Link to where the household can be found with on The Gallery)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (Please create a seperate slideshow of the family, from the Home or Room Slideshows)

@Taoron

Hi, just wanted to drop in to say that I'm definitely submitting an entry for this challenge. Currently in the midst of finishing it!

Also, wanted to clarify one point. In your post above, you mentioned that the title is "The Homes in Literature Build Challenge #6: The Merchant of Venice: William Shakespeare". However, you also stated this: "Please use the whole of hashtag #LiteraryBuildChallenge5 when you upload your creations. " Can I check if the hashtag should be "#LiteraryBuildChallenge6"?

Yes...I missed that. Thank you.
    Hello, I just wanted to say it is such an interesting idea for a build challenge, the theme of houses in literature.
    I have not read The Merchant though, and am unfamiliar with the period, and I have little time till the 20th of September; so while I kind of wanted to try this, I think I'll wait til the next challenge. Just thought I'd say that it sounded great.

No one has to have read the books. They are simply a starting point to launch my plans from. Nor do any of them have to be period, unless specified as a specific period.
    @Taoron Ummm . . well . . . hopefully . .
    The summers here are short and fleeting, I have not really been in my game much.
    D8Ak9uB.png

I have not forgotten about this guy either.
    He looks very sad and unoccupied at the moment.
    NR5OLVp.png

Cool! Thank you. =)
    Thank you for clarification. The challenge sounds fun for the extra parts of reading the books as well, so that was my own intention, and wish. Thank you for coming up with the idea.
  • tatselktatselk Posts: 519 Member
    ROOM ENTRY FORM
    ROOM ENTRY FORM
    LITERARY BUILD CHALLENGE
    - #6 Palazzo Portego
    FORUM ID: tatselk
    ORIGIN ID: tatselk
    ROOM: https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/4FEBEA2AF7CE11EA8A17C2DBEBA66C98
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://tatselk.tumblr.com/post/629404428741607424/hil-palazzo-portego

ENTRY DETAILS:

I went for a red/gold/brown colour scheme to achieve a luxurious look for this room.

To make the room feel formal and traditional, I kept the placement of the furniture as symmetrical as possible (e.g. use objects in pairs).

Lots of gilded paintings and expensive decorative objects are thrown in to up the luxe factor.

Nautically-themed objects are also included to allude to Venice’s maritime power.

CREDITS:
    N/A
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:

63d3fa78d9c4cf943e049b9f44e33440140d8190.jpg

4aea59bcd210b68ff517b7f93359113e021359f9.jpg
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Palazzo Portego is very lovely! @tatselk :) Very beautiful red, gold and brown colour, and the wall pattern and patterned floor rug are very nice! The vases of flowers, and the floral wall picture are very pretty! The knights guarding each side of the door, and the sculptures on the pedestals and tables are great in the room! Very lovely gold framed pictures and gold edged mirrors! The curtained windows and wall lights are very nice.
    It is a lovely luxury hall! :)
    That is a nice interpretation of the theme.
    Great looking room @tatselk and the way you worded that Venice stole all of the art that they claim as their own, was very diplomatic. LOL
    I got one face done (this is a gargantuan, let's push TOOL to the limit type build)
    tbnZDPB.png
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Your WIP is looking lovely! @JojoMOMSTER :) Very nice exterior design and great roofing! The tiered stairs, the roof covered entrance area with statues on top, and the statues on the columns either sides of the steps are all very nice!
    edited September 2020
    Very cool @JojoMOMSTER

I appreciate you and those of you who took the time to do these. I've been busy, myself, working with dogs, so I wasn't able to finish mine, either.

I was able to get some of the front wall section done, but I'm only probably 2% done. I'm sure I will go back to it, at some point in time.

I9DB1cs.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top