March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So is this officially the worst year for sims 4 ?

I feel like this is the lowest year of the franchise as a whole.First it was Eco life mess, and now star wars mess.This point I'm numbed, and not excited for anything new.

Comments

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,966 Member
    You forgot the knitting mess. Not sure if you consider Tiny Living a mess or not. Last pack I got was Discover University. On sale. I doubt there is anything EA could do that would awake any interest in the game. All bosh and no posh.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,169 Member
    You forgot the knitting mess. Not sure if you consider Tiny Living a mess or not. Last pack I got was Discover University. On sale. I doubt there is anything EA could do that would awake any interest in the game. All bosh and no posh.

I like the knitting pack.It had some decent content
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    the knitting pack that many people disliked, the sparkd circus, eco lifestyle and the huge backlash, the skintones complaints, the star wars pack that has disappointed more than half the fanbase, and the fact devs had to release two statements excusing themselves for all the mess. i'd say this is indeed the worst year for the sims and covid ain't an excuse since many of these things were most likely developed since last year.
    the good thing: people is realizing the actual scam ts4 is.
    the bad thing: the damage to the game is done and 6 years later devs are addressing the game not because they care but because it has gotten to a point that the backlash was on all social media. and even now, i doubt anything will change with ts4.
    let's see what they bring next to try and clean their image until all this situation gets forgotten and people gets to buy their cr#p all over again
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Sims series can follow the same path the Sim City series went down believe it or not and that series was successful too until EA/Maxis strayed and did not do it's homework.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,710 Member
    edited September 2020
    I think so. I understand that 2020 is probably one of the worst years we have had when it comes to pretty much everything, and also that Maxis had to work from home... so I am not going to judge them too harshly...

But they still made the decisions for what packs and content that they wanted to release this year and how they chose to support them.
    • Tiny Living and Journey to Batuu showcased that they are more interested in making packs before releasing content that more people ask for (like bunk beds or cars).
    • Their 20th anniversary showcased that they don't mind reusing old content.
    • Eco Lifestyle showcased that they are putting way to little time into testing and bug fixing.
    • Spark'd and the MAC Collection showcased that they keep making content that feels out of touch with many in their fan base and that they did not focus on improving things like skin tones.

I think it's time for Maxis to win their people back. People need to see that their money goes into their favorite game and not...this.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,014 Member
    It all went sour with that awful 20th anniversary patch. Ironically enough, it was probably one of the best patches we got this year.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    2020 hasn’t been great. Seeing how they’re 7 months into this pandemic and still haven’t adjusted to remote working I would bet 2021 will be much worse. I also don’t think they’re concerned with winning anyone back. They just put out a statement that affirmed they haven’t been prioritizing community requests and have no plans to start. A $40 dlc that doesn’t include any community requested content is sure to fix everything, at least that’s the mindset of the development studio.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,710 Member
    edited September 2020
    2020 hasn’t been great. Seeing how they’re 7 months into this pandemic and still haven’t adjusted to remote working I would bet 2021 will be much worse. I also don’t think they’re concerned with winning anyone back. They just put out a statement that affirmed they haven’t been prioritizing community requests and have no plans to start. A $40 dlc that doesn’t include any community requested content is sure to fix everything, at least that’s the mindset of the development studio.

I interpreted that statement that their next EP will not contain anything of that, which was to be expected because they are almost finished with that pack, but it looked like they were willing to share earlier about what they are working on more regularly in the future and be more transparent. That remains to be seen though, actions speak louder than words and this pandemic have made communication difficult for everyone.

I don't have much hope that things will change a lot in 2021 but I hope that the feedback that they have gotten from the community will make them reconsider what to make for the sims in the future.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Yes this is the worst year yet. The 20th anniversary was a flop, The Sims 4's sixth birthday was a flop, as much as I love Eco Lifestyle I'm still cautious of the bugs, oh ya, more bugs than ever in the game, the release of the Star Wars pack kind of reveals how much the developers of the game aren't prioritizing more important content, etc. etc.

I have to say, this is the first time ever where I agree with the communities outrage and disappointment, the game is six years old and I'm tired of being patient with this game, tired of waiting for substantial bug fixes, tired of waiting for basic tweaks and improvements to the overall game, tired of relying on mods to constantly fix issues that have been present in the game for years now. The last time my patience felt worth it was when they released toddlers, but nothing much since.

I've been patiently waiting for something, anything, where I can say "yes, the wait and patience was worth it," at this point in order for me to feel that, the team has to deliver something truly game changing, but at this point I doubt that day will ever come.
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    edited September 2020
    It is also the worst year for human kind, lol
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    They haven't put out anything I've liked since Sulani. I got University but not thrilled. Then they broke my doors and windows. Also I noticed my terrain tools no longer work for spraying pavement. I suppose that's MY fault for having cc.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Nah it's about tied with others. I liked every pack released in 2020 for the first time.
    2019 came with my all time favourite pack (Island Living) but also game with a couple packs I don't like (Realm of Magic and Discover University) The stair tool was cool

This year I like them all but none as much as Island Living...

Earlier years all seem to have some I love and then some I really dont. 2018 was great with Jungle Adventure and Seasons (and get famous which I like a lot but don't LOVE). Also had MFPS which many people hate but I love. And 2017 had toddlers and cats and dogs which was fantastic but also vampires which I hate.
    2016 didn't have much I like. Just Movie Stuff. Maybe that'd be my worst year? Besides that it had Dine Out and City Living I guess which are not great.
    2015 had Get Together and Outdoor Retreat (Love both) and Get to Work which isn't too bad, and Spa Day which, I kinda regret buying haha. So again stuff I like stuff I don't.

If I had to pick I'd probably say 2017 was the Best year even with vampires in there. and 2016 was the worst. Every other year kinda falls in between about evenly.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Nah I liked every pack that came this year even for some strange reason the knitting pack. A good year for the Sims
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited September 2020
    It's half and half. The packs haven't been great, but the free updates have been some of the best they've ever done. We got firefighters and repomen in a free update, we got ladders in a free update, we got a complete overhaul of bills and the off-the-grid system in a free update, we got free placement of doors and windows which is pretty game changing for builders and wasn't in past games and we got the ability to layer doors and windows on the same tile. Plus, hot tubs were added to the base game which was controversial but a lot of people are happy about it.

The amount of free content we've gotten this year has been really good. I don't think we've ever had so many good features added to the game in free patches before.

Even with the packs, Tiny Living was a good pack. I like everything about that pack and the murphy bed was a welcome addition. And although it wasn't the best pack, Eco Lifestyle also brought a lot of nice things with it like the CAS and build buy which are really nice. Knitting brought stuff for elders to do which is a welcome addition and a lot of players are enjoying the Star Wars pack.
    The repoman update made me a bit mad.Because they were a feature for discover university.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Good stuff packs, bad everything else.
  • KittuaniiTheArtistKittuaniiTheArtist Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm a pretty new member of the community and for me it was almost bad. the Star Wars update was useless when they could've added werewolves, preteens, bunk beds, better skin tones, and all that missing left out stuff. All we got were some packs that wastes my money, just so EA the overpricing company would get some more cash using some simple packs. (Not trying to badmouth EA.) Other than some tiny updates, I really like the ladders and maybe Eco Lifestyle was pretty good for me because of the furniture and I may do the gameplay.
  • KittuaniiTheArtistKittuaniiTheArtist Posts: 2 New Member
    Off topic but we NEED werewolves. I love werewolves a lot.
    Nah it's about tied with others. I liked every pack released in 2020 for the first time.
    2019 came with my all time favourite pack (Island Living) but also game with a couple packs I don't like (Realm of Magic and Discover University) The stair tool was cool

This year I like them all but none as much as Island Living...

Earlier years all seem to have some I love and then some I really dont. 2018 was great with Jungle Adventure and Seasons (and get famous which I like a lot but don't LOVE). Also had MFPS which many people hate but I love. And 2017 had toddlers and cats and dogs which was fantastic but also vampires which I hate.
    2016 didn't have much I like. Just Movie Stuff. Maybe that'd be my worst year? Besides that it had Dine Out and City Living I guess which are not great.
    2015 had Get Together and Outdoor Retreat (Love both) and Get to Work which isn't too bad, and Spa Day which, I kinda regret buying haha. So again stuff I like stuff I don't.

If I had to pick I'd probably say 2017 was the Best year even with vampires in there. and 2016 was the worst. Every other year kinda falls in between about evenly.

I'm glad your enjoying the packs.
    To be honest the problems aren't because the stuff is new.The problem is they are not creative, and are base on trends .
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    It seems like this is the first year out of The Sims 4's lifespan where Maxis has implemented nothing but new, original ideas to the series. This comes at no surprise, given a guru has told us to expect that prior to this year. Is it a coincidence some are calling it TS4's worst year yet?

With that said, I personally feel these original concepts are pretty... unexciting, to put it kindly. Knitting, stuff for tiny homes (which was obviously meant to supplement the expansion), and eco-living, one of the most buggy and, well... blah ideas for a pack that has also clearly not been gameplay play-tested enough, otherwise people wouldn't have NPC Sims rampantly stealing from their lots and such. How could that have passed Q&A? Is there still Q&A at all for the series?

I swear, nothing has made me appreciate The Sims 3 more than seeing how low The Sims 4 has taken the series. World Adventures, Ambitions, Generations, horses in Pets, Supernatural, Island Paradise, Into The Future -- look at how many original ideas The Sims 3 introduced that turned out to be such fun additions to the series!! What happened???

Everybody would LOVE new stuff if we at least was up to have everything included in the Sims 3 base game. We're not there yet.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek