Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only 'Star Wars: Journey to Batuu' complaining thread!

Comments

• I think it’s absolutely awful they called that person a lair and made him look terrible on Twitter just because he was pointing out a glitch in their flawed system. Instead of wasting time treating their players like garbage maybe if they put that time and energy into fixing the game and ironing out the bugs people wouldn’t have glitches to report.

I’ve lost so much respect for the devs. I wanted to blame this SW pack mess on EA/Disney and spare the Devs but you know what if they’re going to treat people like that and keep drinking the cool aid then they get no quarter from me anymore. I’m absolutely shocked. I don’t see how I can financially keep supporting a team and a company who think that’s ok customer service behaviour. What a shame the Sims franchise has been run into the ground like that. What a shame.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited September 2020
    Okay this is not a complaint about the JTB pack itself, but like...I feel like there's this mentality that people who don't want the pack only play "mundane" "boring" "normal" "realism" type of gameplay, and it's been kind of poked fun at in other threads. Like a criticism of those types of players because their version of fun is different from the sci/fi/occult based type of fun.

Well anyways, I really don't know what kind of player I am. I play my game as if it's like a zoomed in version of say...SimCity, or Banished or Foundation. City building/civilization building games where the world building is the gameplay, and I make up my own rules for how I can build the world with my own challenges. Things like skills/skill building, harvestables, collectibles, recipes, etc. these things are really important to my game because it's the basis of how my societies run and they're the resources for my world building. So I wouldn't say I play the game like "realism/mundane" players or occult players. I feel like I'm just out here being chaotic on my own.

But with that being said, the reason I decided not to get JTB is because nothing in this pack lends itself well to that kind of gameplay that I do. For me, it's important for packs to come with new skills and harvestables which JTB didn't provide. It also helps if there's a new world that is inhabitable and usable for either living or its resources which I'm not sure Batuu can operate as? Like....packs providing more sandbox tools is HUGE for me because my entire gameplay revolves around building castles in the sand. I don't want the game to give me goals because I make up my own goals.

So idk where I'm going with this lol, but I just get a little peeved when I see fans of this pack taking jabs at people who don't want this pack because there's an assumption that we all play our game different from them and it's boring or something? Or like we all are playing these smiley-faced utopias where we don't want chaotic or bad things happening in our games when in reality the JTB pack is giving us nothing with regards to sandbox play which is what TS4 is all about because hello?? dollhouse simulator life simulator. Okay maybe I play my game boring to everyone else but it's quite fun for me to create my own game using the game but it's quite lame that JTB is serving me absolutely nothing in regards to tools that I can use to add more to my particular style of gameplay. And that's because again, this pack is not set up to be sandbox at all which is just a big ?????????????????????

Anyways if this doesn't make sense, that's fine I just needed to vent because I'm realizing now what a disservice this pack does to the sandbox gameplay The Sims typically operates as and I think a pack that only serves as an RPG game doesn't really make sense to me. And if it's offering more than RPG gameplay, I'd be happy to hear about it. But someone coming at me saying "well you can have a droid and a lightsaber" is not gonna convince me that this game is providing gamepack level sandbox tools. And people can say "oh well this fits in my gameplay because xyz" and I'm like alright fine but in the grand scheme of things there are several things this pack doesn't do that other packs have done and I'm not sure how that makes it an equal to the rest. For example, people might argue that Outdoor Retreat is a weak game pack, but OR offers new harvestables, new skill, new recipes, and new world with several inhabitable and editable lots.

Anyways I just needed to get this out and maybe I'll be back to elaborate if I feel like it's not clear.

Also I guess this really was a complaint after all.
    Post edited by NationalPokedex on
  • KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    I think it’s absolutely awful they called that person a lair and made him look terrible on Twitter just because he was pointing out a glitch in their flawed system. Instead of wasting time treating their players like garbage maybe if they put that time and energy into fixing the game and ironing out the bugs people wouldn’t have glitches to report.

I’ve lost so much respect for the devs. I wanted to blame this SW pack mess on EA/Disney and spare the Devs but you know what if they’re going to treat people like that and keep drinking the cool aid then they get no quarter from me anymore. I’m absolutely shocked. I don’t see how I can financially keep supporting a team and a company who think that’s ok customer service behaviour. What a shame the Sims franchise has been run into the ground like that. What a shame.

When all this first went down I was out here defending the gurus and the devs like Boo Boo the Fool. I’ve lost respect for them too, it’s one thing to blatantly ignore your players, it’s a whole other game to accuse them of cloutchasing and then be completely silent on the issue THEY promised wouldn’t happen.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2020
    Komura wrote: »
    I think it’s absolutely awful they called that person a lair and made him look terrible on Twitter just because he was pointing out a glitch in their flawed system. Instead of wasting time treating their players like garbage maybe if they put that time and energy into fixing the game and ironing out the bugs people wouldn’t have glitches to report.

When all this first went down I was out here defending the gurus and the devs like Boo Boo the Fool. I’ve lost respect for them too, it’s one thing to blatantly ignore your players, it’s a whole other game to accuse them of cloutchasing and then be completely silent on the issue THEY promised wouldn’t happen.

Twitter is not the best platform for conversations... I'm pretty sure that they did make efforts to make sure that this pack would work in the sims 4. (We don't have Judith Ward showing up in Batuu for example...) But they don't seem to take their existing bugs and problems into account with some of their responses so I think that's why it can look bad sometimes.

The gurus are not perfect but I would rather have them than just a PR account, like their official twitter account... Many other game developer studios don't respond to their fans at all.
    Post edited by logion on
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member

Well, I'm sure that they tried to prevent it from happening up to a certain point but, seeing how bugged the game is, I honestly doubt they devoted enough resources to playtest it as they should have.
    Happy simming!
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member

One of the townie mods is being reported as causing that, do you have any mods that effect townies in any way? I think the mod is called Townies Overhaul or something similar.
    Apparantly certain MCC story and homeless settings can cause it also."
    This was on another thread. Also has anyone seen this problem reported on the bug thread.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited September 2020
    logion wrote: »

Which is why twitter is not a good platform for long conversations, and why you should not promise things on twitter... I'm pretty sure that they did efforts to make sure that this pack would work in the sims 4. (We don't have Judith Ward showing up in Batuu for example...) But they don't seem to take their existing bugs and problems into account with some of their responses.

The gurus are not perfect but I would rather have them than just a PR account, like their official twitter account... Many other game developer studios don't respond to their fans at all.

But they haven’t been listening to us. Look at the “apology” letter. They basically said they hear us but don’t care & are only going to give us what they think we want. Just because they respond to us doesn’t mean they care. They don’t.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2020
    Justin wrote: »

Which is why twitter is not a good platform for long conversations, and why you should not promise things on twitter... I'm pretty sure that they did efforts to make sure that this pack would work in the sims 4. (We don't have Judith Ward showing up in Batuu for example...) But they don't seem to take their existing bugs and problems into account with some of their responses.

But they haven’t been listening to us. Look at the “apology” letter. They basically said they hear us but don’t care & are only going to give us what they think we want. Just because they respond to us doesn’t mean they care. They don’t.

They care enough to respond. I admit that it has not been enough but that's more than what some other studios do. And I got the impression that they set expectations for their next EP, not future packs.

But that remains to be seen. Their explanation that "there is foundational technology that they need to work through" sounds strange to say about a game that they have worked on for six years.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    It can't happen a mod I had caused it to happen when I took it out it was normal. So to my knowledge its not suppose to happen.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 858 Member
    Don't get me wrong, there are things that I do like about JTB. But I guess here is the place to share what I don't like about it.

I bought the pack yesterday - because I hoped it would be fun, not to complete my collection or anything.

Here are my thoughts on it (I will copy and paste what I wrote in the 'do you recommend buying JTB?' thread):

I'm sorry to have to say this but I do not recommend buying it. I was really excited by the prospect of a Star Wars pack and I thought it could be amazing. I bought it and yes there are fun bits but overall... I have to admit that I am disappointed. And I don't like saying that.

The world is beautiful but there are so many rabbit holes. That would be ok so long as the gameplay was good but unfortunately so far I haven't found that to be the case.

They said that there are 50 missions and that sounds very impressive. But then you realise that all of the missions are just different combinations of the same few interactions and those interactions aren't all that interesting. For example, in the first order most of the 'missions' consist of completing something like the following checklist:

- intimidate 3 citizens
    - check IDs
    - Make arrest

Sure, there are a few variations. Sometimes you get to fly a space ship (which is a rabbithole obviously) or something like that but overall it's mostly just rabbitholes and talking to different sims.

It would have been great if the resistance base and the first order base had been like the temple from Jungle Adventure: there could have been a series of rooms with doors that you can only open by dismantling traps. There could also have been guards patrolling inside the base who you'd have to incapacitate eg with your lightsabre or with a blaster (presumably set to stun) in order to keep going. At the middle of the base could have been information that you'd have to steal or something. And the base and all its traps would reset every 24 hours like the JA temples. I would have loved that.

ETA: And this puts me in mind of another thing. I've touched on this above but in general it would have been nice if some missions had involved having to fight sims from the other side using lightsabres or blasters (right now as I go on to say later lightsabres have little functionality and they are not integrated into the main gameplay aspect of the pack: the missions).

It would have been great if as you climbed the ranks of, say, the first order, you would have to go and fight progressively higher ranked members of the resistance (in some instances this could have been simply to arrest them, in others to get something that they were guarding). During these 'battles', you would click on your sim's opponent and choose different options (E.g. maybe different moves with the lightsabre such as lunge/parry and as your 'lightsabre skill' got higher there would be more complex options to choose from. There would be something similar to this for fighting with blasterts too). Anyway, these 'battles' (and lightsabre/blaster duels in general) would work in a way similar to fighting the Mother in SV where you have to click on the Mother and choose different ways to fight her.

At the top of the first order you could perhaps get the mission to fight and defeat Rey, perhaps using lightsabres and the force. Likewise at the top of the Resistance you'd get a mission to fight and defeat Kylo. This would also have added a story element to the pack which it sorely needs since after defeating Rey/Kylo, they could fly away in a space ship or something and the Resistance/First Order would have been wiped out on Batuu.

Right now, a mission often requires you to 'arrest' other sims after performing the base game fight interaction. But in a Star Wars pack I would have expected proper 'battles' with lightsabres/blasters (even if your opponent was only knocked out).

Also, nothing seems to happen once you get to the top of the first order which is disappointing.

Maybe the Resistance will be more interesting, I'll try that next. But, based on what I have seen so far I wouldn't recommend buying it. I so wanted to like this pack. But I just don't. And that makes me sad.

Lightsabres are cool but without a jedi lifestate they feel ultimately kind of pointless. I think that a jedi lifestate with a hierarchy and a perks/weaknesses system like that of vampires and spellcasters could have been great.

Alternatively, the Force could have been a skill, with your sim being able to do more things with the Force as they level up.

ETA: To add to this, I feel like there should have been some kind of lightsabre skill rather than lightsabres building the fitness skill. There should also be a more detailed system for fighting with lightsabres as I have said before, with different and more complex lightsabre 'moves' unlocking as your sim builds their lightsabre skill. And fighting another sim with a lightsabre should be more interactive - it should involve choosing different moves (e.g. lunge, parry and more complex moves too).

On the subject of the missing Jedi lifesate, even if they weren't going to make Jedi a fully fleshed out lifestate like vampires or spellcasters with their own perks/weaknesses/rank system, I don't understand why they didn't implement even a very basic Jedi lifestate. This could have been simply a sim who can use lightsabres (non Jedi sims would be unable to do this) and use The Force to do a few things e.g. the Jedi mind trick or choking sims (not to death obviously). The mechanics for this are already in the pack since Rey can do a Jedi mind trick on your sim and Kylo when he gets angry can choke your sim (not to death) using the force. They would just have needed to open up these interactions to played sims.

Also, spellcasters can't use magic on Batuu (just like vampires can't use their vampire powers on Batuu and aliens can't use their alien powers). So, you can forget about making a spellcaster and pretending that they are a jedi who can use 'the force' (aka in this instance magic).

I'd hoped that this pack would involve playing through a story like Strangerville did but there's none of that in this pack. Without that, it feels like you are just completing mission after mission with no end goal like defeating the mother in sight. I'll say it again: when you get to the top of the first order, nothing happens.

Your sim's actions and the missions they undertake within the First Order or The Resistance should actually contribute to bringing down the other side.

Playing in the resistance, you should be able to drive Klyo and the First Order out of Batuu. Playing in the First Order, you should be able to drive Rey and the Resistance out of Batuu (there could even be a cut scene of the resistance/first order fleeing Batuu in their space ships). Without this possibility, the missions that your sim will do for either side feel like they lack any point.

Of course, aliens are not different lifestates and I don't have a problem with that. This is only a game pack and adding lots of different alien lifestates would have probably been too much for a gamepack. But I wish they had made the alien features into skin details which could be inherited by their children. The fact that it's just a mask and can't be worn by kids breaks the immersion.

And yes I am disappointed that we can't romance Kylo or Rey. But that's really only a minor thing.

Another thing is that the aspirations are quite dull and feel like gameplay tutorials. Also, there's no new traits.

There could have been so much more to this pack. That's why I'm disappointed.

I hope I don't come across as though I'm being overly negative. I don't want to be. And I don't want to belittle the views of people who are enjoying the pack, or to attack the simgurus. But I'd be lying if I said that I like this pack and I honestly can't recommend buying it. I think at half price it'd be worth it.

I'm not sure that I necessarily regret buying this pack. It will be nice to have the option to send my sims to Batuu and having new aspirations is always nice. Plus there's some nice CAS and BB. But, I do think that it's one of my least favourite GPs. And that's surprising to me, since I am not a realism player. I think a Star Wars pack was a great idea but I do not think that it was implemented well. I have to admit that.

Thanks for sharing! You can’t even have light saber battles with opposing sides? That kind of makes them seem pointless😬 Between the removal of all occult powers/playability and the lack of ability to incorporate Jedi life into your sims everyday life—pretty disappointing it seems.
    (Btw anyone else noticing that r/thesims, that used to be dominated by posts about Sims 4 is basically 90% Sims 3 posts since this pack came out? SO many people reinstalling Sims 3 right now).

I am honestly debating it, might take a little while to get all the nraas mods for optimisation but lord, does that sound more appealing than this mess.

Am now debating buying a computer that can run TS3.

SAME😭 My current mac can’t run TS3 and i’m honestly upset that all week i’ve been debating if I should buy a cheaper PC gaming computer solely to run TS3 on it🤣
    edited September 2020
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    (Btw anyone else noticing that r/thesims, that used to be dominated by posts about Sims 4 is basically 90% Sims 3 posts since this pack came out? SO many people reinstalling Sims 3 right now).

I am honestly debating it, might take a little while to get all the nraas mods for optimisation but lord, does that sound more appealing than this mess.

SAME😭 My current mac can’t run TS3 and i’m honestly upset that all week i’ve been debating if I should buy a cheaper PC gaming computer solely to run TS3 on it🤣

It’s worth it. Sims 3 will show you what has been missing in sims 4. I forgot how much fun & gameplay depth there was. Especially how juicy the expansions packs used to be before some simmers lost their way on what is truly the value for your money.
    edited September 2020

@SimQueenie9 Your computer runs TS4 but not TS3?

Affirmative.

@SimQueenie9 I'm not sure how this is possible since TS3 has lower minimum requirements. Do you know your computer's specs? If you are interested in running the Sims 3 with your current computer maybe you can DM me or post a thread about it. I'm pretty sure someone could help.
    it has to do with Graphics and such. If you have certain “newer” and updated Mac computers it simply will not even open because the graphics are literally not compatible. I even spoke with a tech guy from EA who told me most Mac models (those update to Catalina cannot run them now when I was initially unaware of the reason why it wouldn’t open on my Mac.
    Post edited by Coconut27 on

It’s worth it. Sims 3 will show you what has been missing in sims 4. I forgot how much fun & gameplay depth there was. Especially how juicy the expansions packs used to be before some simmers lost their way on what is truly the value for your money.

Do you recommend a PC model to get?? I’m tryna find one that’s cheap but good enough to run the game on it lol
    edited September 2020
    Okay this is not a complaint about the JTB pack itself, but like...I feel like there's this mentality that people who don't want the pack only play "mundane" "boring" "normal" "realism" type of gameplay, and it's been kind of poked fun at in other threads. Like a criticism of those types of players because their version of fun is different from the sci/fi/occult based type of fun.

Well anyways, I really don't know what kind of player I am. I play my game as if it's like a zoomed in version of say...SimCity, or Banished or Foundation. City building/civilization building games where the world building is the gameplay, and I make up my own rules for how I can build the world with my own challenges. Things like skills/skill building, harvestables, collectibles, recipes, etc. these things are really important to my game because it's the basis of how my societies run and they're the resources for my world building. So I wouldn't say I play the game like "realism/mundane" players or occult players. I feel like I'm just out here being chaotic on my own.

But with that being said, the reason I decided not to get JTB is because nothing in this pack lends itself well to that kind of gameplay that I do. For me, it's important for packs to come with new skills and harvestables which JTB didn't provide. It also helps if there's a new world that is inhabitable and usable for either living or its resources which I'm not sure Batuu can operate as? Like....packs providing more sandbox tools is HUGE for me because my entire gameplay revolves around building castles in the sand. I don't want the game to give me goals because I make up my own goals.

So idk where I'm going with this lol, but I just get a little peeved when I see fans of this pack taking jabs at people who don't want this pack because there's an assumption that we all play our game different from them and it's boring or something? Or like we all are playing these smiley-faced utopias where we don't want chaotic or bad things happening in our games when in reality the JTB pack is giving us nothing with regards to sandbox play which is what TS4 is all about because hello?? dollhouse simulator life simulator. Okay maybe I play my game boring to everyone else but it's quite fun for me to create my own game using the game but it's quite lame that JTB is serving me absolutely nothing in regards to tools that I can use to add more to my particular style of gameplay. And that's because again, this pack is not set up to be sandbox at all which is just a big ?????????????????????

Anyways if this doesn't make sense, that's fine I just needed to vent because I'm realizing now what a disservice this pack does to the sandbox gameplay The Sims typically operates as and I think a pack that only serves as an RPG game doesn't really make sense to me. And if it's offering more than RPG gameplay, I'd be happy to hear about it. But someone coming at me saying "well you can have a droid and a lightsaber" is not gonna convince me that this game is providing gamepack level sandbox tools. And people can say "oh well this fits in my gameplay because xyz" and I'm like alright fine but in the grand scheme of things there are several things this pack doesn't do that other packs have done and I'm not sure how that makes it an equal to the rest. For example, people might argue that Outdoor Retreat is a weak game pack, but OR offers new harvestables, new skill, new recipes, and new world with several inhabitable and editable lots.

Anyways I just needed to get this out and maybe I'll be bak to elaborate if I feel like it's not clear.

Also I guess this really was a complaint after all.

Well for one, people shouldn’t judge others gameplay because everyone has different interests when it comes to gameplay, doesn’t mean their style is “boring”. Second, I play literally every Occult (not really aliens because they are so lacking and dont even have a powers system-they need a serious update) but still do not want this pack haha so they cannot speak for all sci-fi/occult interested players. I’m curious if those people saying these judging statements were aware that all occult powers are stripped once on Batuu? Because this (barely) Jedi gameplay is first for TS4 in its entirety and seems quite lackluster tbh, so then technically everyone, including themselves, plays boring gameplay lol.
    Post edited by Coconut27 on
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Do you recommend a PC model to get?? I’m tryna find one that’s cheap but good enough to run the game on it lol
    Cheaper to build one especially for gaming. I used this site to build my computer for a fraction of the cost:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/

Plus for those that like to stream or make videos and game, a factory build won't be enough.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Scobre wrote: »

Cheaper to build one especially for gaming. I used this site to build my computer for a fraction of the cost:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/

Plus for those that like to stream or make videos and game, a factory build won't be enough.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

No problem. Happy gaming. Modthesims has an excellent tech section too if you need help. A lot of intelligent Simmers in the modding community that are full of tech advice: https://modthesims.info/fd.php?f=563
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Scobre wrote: »

No problem. Happy gaming. Modthesims has an excellent tech section too if you need help. A lot of intelligent Simmers in the modding community that are full of tech advice: https://modthesims.info/fd.php?f=563

👍👍

Sorry I wouldn’t really be able to tell you as I’m not good with computers myself lol. But glad someone was able to help you out :)
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member

They care enough to respond. I admit that it has not been enough but that's more than what some other studios do. And I got the impression that they set expectations for their next EP, not future packs.

But that remains to be seen. Their explanation that "there is foundational technology that they need to work through" sounds strange to say about a game that they have worked on for six years.

That's simply pr/damage control type of response. It really has nothing to do with caring and everything to do with trying to find a quick way to get themselves out of hot water.
    giphy.gif

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited September 2020
    Bluegayle wrote: »

One of the townie mods is being reported as causing that, do you have any mods that effect townies in any way? I think the mod is called Townies Overhaul or something similar.
    Apparantly certain MCC story and homeless settings can cause it also."
    This was on another thread. Also has anyone seen this problem reported on the bug thread.

It's not on the bug forum. I've been there for other bugs, but I haven't seen a single mention of this there. :/ I don't think it can happen. If you think on it, you don't see any of the costumes from Get Famous, the free updates or Spooky Day showing up anywhere so why would this be any different?

The guru's simply said it couldn't happen and the person they addressed on twitter admitted he used some mods. Also, that particular account is kind of known for doctoring up pictures (which is why I follow them because they're hilarious!) and considering it was Judith Ward who showed up as an "alien"... :D I thought they'd made it happen on purpose too because this is exactly the thing this person would do! I read through the tweets too and I don't think they were rude or disrespectful. I think Twitter is confusing to follow a thread and it's too easy to be taken out of context. I don't feel like it all quite happened as sinister as it's being portrayed in this thread. :/
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    It's probably a glitch. Every time we get a new game we also get new glitches. I suggest reporting the new glitch.

These glitches generally become game "features."
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    SAEldarin wrote: »
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    It's probably a glitch. Every time we get a new game we also get new glitches. I suggest reporting the new glitch.

These glitches generally become game "features."

Haha that doesn’t seem to be how it works lately!