Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can Maxis please unlock "special" lots?

SappySifakaSappySifaka Posts: 132 Member
edited October 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I understand that "special" lots (the ruins, chalet gardens, and the island bluffs in Windenburg) are a part of the Sims team's effort to ingrain backstory and atmosphere in the game. However... the reality is that locking lots into such niche types is severely restrictive. These locked lots add little to no unique gameplay and limit our ability to create our own stories. I would love to to say that I understand why they did this, but frankly, I can't grasp the thought process behind decisions like these that ultimately limit player control and storytelling. I say it's time to free the lots. If you're going to give us an editable lot, we should be able to freely edit the lot type as well. I kindly request that these special lots be fully unlocked. We shouldn't have to rely on a mod for something so fundamental.
Post edited by SappySifaka on

Comments

• troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    @Brandonstatez why do you want to unlock those lots?
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited September 2020
    THIS!

especially i want to make von haunt and bluffs residential lots soooo bad like really what am i to do with mansion if i can't even live in it? my fancy rich sims wanna buy it.

what do i do with some random pool ?when i could have cool witch tower instead? and witch living in it?

seriously.

also i hate how they put graffiti thing in bluffs bg cause really did you have to ruin my ancient fantasies with that

ruins idk I feel like that i don't mind as much but i guess it would be nice to have like museum or something there
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Faraway_SonFaraway_Son Posts: 142 Member
    edited September 2020
    Would have been nice had EA ingrained backstory into 'Journey To Batuu'...but lots that can't be edited is nonsense. We should all have the freedom to create the world we want within the 'tabula rasa' of the Sims 4.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2020
    Oh please please please!!! One of the biggest frustrations 😭😭😭 maybe I don't want a garden!! I've been using zerbu venue change mod but I would love for this to be official so that's one less mod to worry about.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    It makes sense for some lots to be locked, like the lab in Strangerville, because you couldn’t play the story properly without it .

But for others like the Von Haunt estate I don’t get why.
  • Faraway_SonFaraway_Son Posts: 142 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    It makes sense for some lots to be locked, like the lab in Strangerville, because you couldn’t play the story properly without it .

Absolutely agree...with a very story based pack you need constants. Interestingly, story based packs thus shut down and regulate the 'open world' of the Sims 4.
  • pandie00pandie00 Posts: 590 Member
    edited September 2020
    troshalom wrote: »

Why not? Options are always welcome
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member

This was the first thing that jumped to mind. I recently took a Sim through a temple in Selvadorada and realised how well constructed all of that experience was. I'm not saying Simmers aren't capable of making something like that, or even improving upon it - more that it would frustrate Simmers that might otherwise end up removing required mechanics without realising.

I assume that bb.enablefreebuild works on these lots anyway so those that want to could probably still make some changes should they wish to.

1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    What do you mean by unlock? You want to build? testingcheats on or true then BB.enablefreebuild
    Never tried to change the lot type. I have to go check it out the next time I play.
    I have built on all the hidden areas. Never tried it the temples though.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Yeah, like @.AnnLee87 said, isn't there a cheat to unlock those lots?
    funny-gifs20.gif

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    pandie00 wrote: »
    troshalom wrote: »

Why not? Options are always welcome

I agree, it increases creativity for me and puts everything on the table if all is available to use. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I would like to use the chalet lot as a residential lot for my sims to live in. I was surprised to see that is not an option in the game.
    I also initially wanted to create my Flaming Gnome festival lot in the Strangerville crater but that wouldn’t have worked, either.
    How can we play “our own stories” with limitations like this?
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    I would like to use the chalet lot as a residential lot for my sims to live in. I was surprised to see that is not an option in the game.
    I also initially wanted to create my Flaming Gnome festival lot in the Strangerville crater but that wouldn’t have worked, either.

Can someone explain to me why these lots are locked and can't be changed? I'm not a big "player" so I didn't know they were locked and couldn't be changed to whatever or you wanted it to be. Is there something particularly special about them that if it was changed to a residential lot it would break some function?
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2020
    babajayne wrote: »

Can someone explain to me why these lots are locked and can't be changed? I'm not a big "player" so I didn't know they were locked and couldn't be changed to whatever or you wanted it to be. Is there something particularly special about them that if it was changed to a residential lot it would break some function?

Good question. I have no idea myself. Functionally they don’t seem different than any other lot. I could understand if there were scripted story events occurring on those lots, but that’s obviously not the case (Strangerville excepted I guess). 🤷‍♂️
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    From what I know I think the chalet gardens is a special lot that you get invited to parties at. I've gotten them before (until they were nerfed and I no long receive invites 😡)

The others I don't know

But the cheat does not allow us to change the lot type. And those special lots are not special enough to be considered special so we should be able to change and use it how we want.
    Something like the strangerville lab is the only exception because its tied to the story
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I haven’t even done the Strangerville story yet and wouldn’t mind breaking it (or another lot) for just one save.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I see no logical reason why the Strangerville lab can't be unlocked once the story is done. That 'world' is pathetically short of buildable lots so every one is valuable. I wouldn't mind if story completion was a prerequisite for unlocking so long as the option was available.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Would have been nice had EA ingrained backstory into 'Journey To Batuu'...but lots that can't be edited is nonsense. We should all have the freedom to create the world we want within the 'tabula rasa' of the Sims 4.

I so agree as this is the only vacation neighborhood that cannot be edit, or build in it and I look at that as an big minus.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    @Babykittyjade i agree since we no longer get invites to any Windenburg location (or any where :( ) then why shouldnt we be able to choose the lot type? Afterall the dance parties etc arent happening, which is sad as I liked these. So lets make the lots useful again.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I built on the Bluffs. I didn’t know we weren’t supposed to be able to.

We probably can’t change the one because the Knights of the Hedge have to roam there.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    The one lot I wanted to really change was the lab lot after playing through the story. I was hoping to make a military base there. I don’ know why they didn’t make one to begin with in strangerville. It could have been a cool active career instead of just marching around town, that was lame. The lab is now a wasted space.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited September 2020
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I built on the Bluffs. I didn’t know we weren’t supposed to be able to.

We probably can’t change the one because the Knights of the Hedge have to roam there.

I left it a pool, but put a B-B-Q grill and a few other things there to fulfill some needs. I send some sims up there to watch for Emily for them to get pictures, but have never seen the sea monster.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member

I would imagine it's to do with the parties there? Since the party events add objects to those lots, that would be interfered with it the user where to change the lot?
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    It is nice to have an option to edit the "special" lot, but for me, I would rather keep it as how it's supposed to be.

My unique gameplay should be able to adapt to those "special" lot, because different Sims will have a different way to use that "special" lot. I personally feel that those "special" lot is like landmarks. Like the Von Haunt. More than anything, I wish that my Sims could live there too. The garden is so beautiful. Yet, as everyone knows, once upon a time, an accident happened there and 2 ghosts are roaming around every now & then.

The secret lab, let's just say, I don't want to disturb the Mother, probably after a generation, then I will awake her again for another story of my Sims. ;)
    OID:- x4m1r4