Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Yikes .... The Game Pack Trailer has more dislikes than likes

12345679...Next

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited September 2020
    The main point of this pack, I think, is to draw in Star Wars fans into Sims 4.
    Just like the "Reality Soap" is created to draw in new players.

Sims 4 has always prioritized new players over bug fixes, but these last two moves are very very blatant. They are calls for attention. I have no idea what the actual sales are for Sims 4 these days but:

1. Reality Soap
    2. Star Wars pack
    3. Re-realeasing their games on Steam

All points towards someone, somewhere, not being happy with sales (not only for Sims 4). That doesn't mean much since company boards are unhappy with anything under a gazillion procent growth per year, Sims 4 might still sell more this year than last "but not enough" for them, but yes. This smells like disappointment from someone high up in EA.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • lousha_lovelousha_love Posts: 45 Member
    > @LiELF said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I'm not so sure. I think that we, as Sims players already, tend to look at every pack through the same eyes and from a specific perspective. The potential is with younger players who love anything Disney or Star Wars and have never tried a Sims game but may like other simulations, even on mobile. The Disney+ service just launched within the last year and there's an entire Star Wars segment with all of the films in the franchise as well as every series and a show about Galaxy's Edge. The Mandalorian is huge right now.
    >
    > I've also seen some positive streams about the pack, just not always from the usual simmers. People who have been to Galaxy's Edge, love Star Wars, and/or used to play the Sims a long time ago seem to be interested. Sims players who love to make creative builds or stylists who see the potential in CAS seem excited. And while the forums have been full of a lot of loud people protesting the pack, there are still threads where others are enjoying the pack and new people keep popping in who have decided to try it out and like it. I also think that, because of the public aggressive hostility that's been shown for this pack, that those who like it tend to be quieter about it because of fear of backlash from others. Some people don't like confrontation and don't care to get into a cage match over their right to enjoy something.
    >
    > I just think there is often a lot of misconception to the reality of Sims 4, particularly on the forums, because it skews what appears to be the "majority" and can amplify the vocal minority. I'm not saying that players who hate the Star Wars pack are definitely in the minority, I just don't think there's an accurate overall representation on social media.
    >
    > But I mean, that's just what I observe. It's possible that the pack doesn't end up doing well at all. I doubt we'll ever know until we see (or don't see) more branding in the game.

I agree because yesterday, I seen a youtuber who had complained with the masses about Star Wars being included in the Sim 4, review the pack after receiving a "free copy" have positive and excited comments on CAS clothing... stating that they think the clothing can be worn for everyday, basic Sims play... To each his own, but not my Sim...
  • lousha_lovelousha_love Posts: 45 Member
    > @Beardedgeek said:
    > The main point of this pack, I think, is to draw in Star Wars fans into Sims 4.
    > Just like the "Reality Soap" is created to draw in new players.
    >
    > Sims 4 has always prioritized new players over bug fixes, but these last two moves are very very blatant. They are calls for attention. I have no idea what the actual sales are for Sims 4 these days but:
    >
    > 1. Reality Soap
    > 2. Star Wars pack
    > 3. Re-realeasing their games on Steam
    >
    > All points towards someone, somewhere, not being happy with sales (not only for Sims 4). That doesn't mean much since company boards are unhappy with anything under a gazillion procent growth per year, Sims 4 might still sell more this year than last "but not enough" for them, but yes. This smells like disappointment from someone high up in EA.

Yes, in short, it is all about the money...
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    There's some very important factors to consider here, if we're trying to speak "facts" and truth. And people aren't going to like this, so if you're not someone who can handle harsh reality, then move along, move along, and skip my post.

EA is a mult-billion dollar corporation. At their disposal, they have tons and tons of data, research, and analytics to make any major money-making decisions. They invest in this information on a regular basis, because they have shareholders to answer to. So.

The core Sims community's unrest with this pack was not unanticipated. They very well knew the family players, realistic players, the "old school" Sims players, would have a cow over this. They knew. And they did it anyway. Why? Because they don't care anymore to cater to those players. They really don't. The CEO has been saying all along that they are chasing new trends, year after year. They have confirmed to be aiming at the new, younger gaming audience and building the player base. They have studied their statistical analysis and concluded that catering to the "old" isn't as lucrative as pandering to the "new". Therefore...

They already knew there would be an outcry against this pack. They already knew they would lose some players over it. But statistically, it doesn't matter (to them). Because those Simmers on social media only make up a small percentage of the worldwide player community (25 million active players, as last revealed) and the potential for reaching new players, Star Wars fanatics, and trend followers, is much much more profitable. They even stated in a recent article in the Washington Post that from here on out, they will be focusing more actively on the trends and hype of young people, ranging from fashion to TV. So this is only the beginning.

The only way...the only way they would bother to change direction, and it's a long shot, is if the sales of the Star Wars pack took a huge dive, and it would have to be significant enough to be a substantial monetary loss. Because they don't care how upset players are on social media, or how many downvotes the trailer gets. That's only in the thousands. The player base is millions and the Star Wars franchise is legendary. People everywhere, all over the internet are taking notice of the fabled "Sims Star Wars Pack". People who have never played a Sims game in their lives. Remember, they now also have the power of Disney backing them up. If there's one company I'd predict to take over the world one day, it would be Disney.

I'm honestly very interested to see how this pack sells on release day because I feel like this is going to be the big test of the new direction for cross-marketing on a larger scale. I just wish they shared their numbers publicly. But I'll be keeping an eye out for that quarterly report after September to see if there's any mention of it. Because this move is going to change the franchise forever. Life simulator? hardly. Adventure simulator? Maybe. Trend simulator? You bet.

Coming in late here but remember what saved Sims 4 from being a mandatory Online Only experience? The fact that EA (and Maxis!) COMPLETELY botched the Sim City reboot to the point of a 6 person Indie Game developer from Finland beat them hands down making the best City Simulator in history.

EA is most certainly capable of misjudging things, it's just that they have a huge margin due to being very very very rich.

That's true. But to be honest, I don't think a Game Pack is going to be significant enough to make a difference, even if it tanks. I think their main purpose for doing Batuu is to rake in more players, not cater to the existing ones.

In a business, the goal is always to try to beat your profit margins year over year. So EA's tactic is to offer new and different things to try to pull non-Sim players into trying out the game. That way, even if, say, two thirds of those people try it and then abandon it, they will have still gained sales as well as another new chunk of players who are now going to buy up packs (of which there are now, what, thirty?) and the overall revenue will increase.

I thought that for a minute until I saw some streams. Given that the devs are video game players of other games, they had to have known that it would not draw in people who liked other genres of video games. It's not going to draw in people who like strategy games because there's no strategy. It's not going to draw in people who like FPS games because, well, you can't even call the light saber fights interesting after the novelty of getting a light saber. It's not going to draw in either adventure players or rpg players because the quest system itself is the same unchallenging thing over and over. I'm not sure it would even draw in new players at all given how bad the reviews have been.

Who it may draw in are hard core Star Wars fans, but without a lot of engaging game play, and that means a lot more than fetch quest after fetch quest, it won't keep them.

Where I do agree is it won't make a difference if it tanks or not.

I'm not so sure. I think that we, as Sims players already, tend to look at every pack through the same eyes and from a specific perspective. The potential is with younger players who love anything Disney or Star Wars and have never tried a Sims game but may like other simulations, even on mobile. The Disney+ service just launched within the last year and there's an entire Star Wars segment with all of the films in the franchise as well as every series and a show about Galaxy's Edge. The Mandalorian is huge right now.

I've also seen some positive streams about the pack, just not always from the usual simmers. People who have been to Galaxy's Edge, love Star Wars, and/or used to play the Sims a long time ago seem to be interested. Sims players who love to make creative builds or stylists who see the potential in CAS seem excited. And while the forums have been full of a lot of loud people protesting the pack, there are still threads where others are enjoying the pack and new people keep popping in who have decided to try it out and like it. I also think that, because of the public aggressive hostility that's been shown for this pack, that those who like it tend to be quieter about it because of fear of backlash from others. Some people don't like confrontation and don't care to get into a cage match over their right to enjoy something.

I just think there is often a lot of misconception to the reality of Sims 4, particularly on the forums, because it skews what appears to be the "majority" and can amplify the vocal minority. I'm not saying that players who hate the Star Wars pack are definitely in the minority, I just don't think there's an accurate overall representation on social media.

But I mean, that's just what I observe. It's possible that the pack doesn't end up doing well at all. I doubt we'll ever know until we see (or don't see) more branding in the game.

I'm actually not talking about simmers loving or hating the pack. I'm talking about people who play other video games. There was one game changer I saw who got an advanced copy, not a simmer, but he reviewed it. I'll paraphrase him, but he was like, maybe if you like sims you'll like this, but it's boring.

The problem with the pack, if it's trying to draw people in, it honestly needs to be spectacular. You're not getting the regular sims experience, because there's no building and very little CAS. The socialization is quite limited. And the tasks are repetitive. And if someone is trying the game solely because of Star Wars, that's going to be their first impression.

Maybe it's a smash hit? I don't know. But I honestly cannot see them pulling people from other genres in because, honestly, games that do quests do them much, much better.

Yes, that's true, other gamers have bigger experiences to compare to. It's certainly not going to attract those who can play the actual SW games or who play MMOs on the regular.

I just don't think that's the target. I think it's the young, inexperienced Disney crowd as well as Star Wars enthusiasts who either collect everything or have been to and enjoyed the real Galaxy's Edge. Also, more casual gamers who don't play high challenge games.

It doesn't need to be spectacular. It just needs to catch interest and curiosity. People who have never touched a Sims game before have no idea what to expect.
    #Team Occult
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    There's some very important factors to consider here, if we're trying to speak "facts" and truth. And people aren't going to like this, so if you're not someone who can handle harsh reality, then move along, move along, and skip my post.

EA is a mult-billion dollar corporation. At their disposal, they have tons and tons of data, research, and analytics to make any major money-making decisions. They invest in this information on a regular basis, because they have shareholders to answer to. So.

The core Sims community's unrest with this pack was not unanticipated. They very well knew the family players, realistic players, the "old school" Sims players, would have a cow over this. They knew. And they did it anyway. Why? Because they don't care anymore to cater to those players. They really don't. The CEO has been saying all along that they are chasing new trends, year after year. They have confirmed to be aiming at the new, younger gaming audience and building the player base. They have studied their statistical analysis and concluded that catering to the "old" isn't as lucrative as pandering to the "new". Therefore...

They already knew there would be an outcry against this pack. They already knew they would lose some players over it. But statistically, it doesn't matter (to them). Because those Simmers on social media only make up a small percentage of the worldwide player community (25 million active players, as last revealed) and the potential for reaching new players, Star Wars fanatics, and trend followers, is much much more profitable. They even stated in a recent article in the Washington Post that from here on out, they will be focusing more actively on the trends and hype of young people, ranging from fashion to TV. So this is only the beginning.

The only way...the only way they would bother to change direction, and it's a long shot, is if the sales of the Star Wars pack took a huge dive, and it would have to be significant enough to be a substantial monetary loss. Because they don't care how upset players are on social media, or how many downvotes the trailer gets. That's only in the thousands. The player base is millions and the Star Wars franchise is legendary. People everywhere, all over the internet are taking notice of the fabled "Sims Star Wars Pack". People who have never played a Sims game in their lives. Remember, they now also have the power of Disney backing them up. If there's one company I'd predict to take over the world one day, it would be Disney.

I'm honestly very interested to see how this pack sells on release day because I feel like this is going to be the big test of the new direction for cross-marketing on a larger scale. I just wish they shared their numbers publicly. But I'll be keeping an eye out for that quarterly report after September to see if there's any mention of it. Because this move is going to change the franchise forever. Life simulator? hardly. Adventure simulator? Maybe. Trend simulator? You bet.

Coming in late here but remember what saved Sims 4 from being a mandatory Online Only experience? The fact that EA (and Maxis!) COMPLETELY botched the Sim City reboot to the point of a 6 person Indie Game developer from Finland beat them hands down making the best City Simulator in history.

EA is most certainly capable of misjudging things, it's just that they have a huge margin due to being very very very rich.

That's true. But to be honest, I don't think a Game Pack is going to be significant enough to make a difference, even if it tanks. I think their main purpose for doing Batuu is to rake in more players, not cater to the existing ones.

In a business, the goal is always to try to beat your profit margins year over year. So EA's tactic is to offer new and different things to try to pull non-Sim players into trying out the game. That way, even if, say, two thirds of those people try it and then abandon it, they will have still gained sales as well as another new chunk of players who are now going to buy up packs (of which there are now, what, thirty?) and the overall revenue will increase.

I thought that for a minute until I saw some streams. Given that the devs are video game players of other games, they had to have known that it would not draw in people who liked other genres of video games. It's not going to draw in people who like strategy games because there's no strategy. It's not going to draw in people who like FPS games because, well, you can't even call the light saber fights interesting after the novelty of getting a light saber. It's not going to draw in either adventure players or rpg players because the quest system itself is the same unchallenging thing over and over. I'm not sure it would even draw in new players at all given how bad the reviews have been.

Who it may draw in are hard core Star Wars fans, but without a lot of engaging game play, and that means a lot more than fetch quest after fetch quest, it won't keep them.

Where I do agree is it won't make a difference if it tanks or not.

I'm not so sure. I think that we, as Sims players already, tend to look at every pack through the same eyes and from a specific perspective. The potential is with younger players who love anything Disney or Star Wars and have never tried a Sims game but may like other simulations, even on mobile. The Disney+ service just launched within the last year and there's an entire Star Wars segment with all of the films in the franchise as well as every series and a show about Galaxy's Edge. The Mandalorian is huge right now.

I've also seen some positive streams about the pack, just not always from the usual simmers. People who have been to Galaxy's Edge, love Star Wars, and/or used to play the Sims a long time ago seem to be interested. Sims players who love to make creative builds or stylists who see the potential in CAS seem excited. And while the forums have been full of a lot of loud people protesting the pack, there are still threads where others are enjoying the pack and new people keep popping in who have decided to try it out and like it. I also think that, because of the public aggressive hostility that's been shown for this pack, that those who like it tend to be quieter about it because of fear of backlash from others. Some people don't like confrontation and don't care to get into a cage match over their right to enjoy something.

I just think there is often a lot of misconception to the reality of Sims 4, particularly on the forums, because it skews what appears to be the "majority" and can amplify the vocal minority. I'm not saying that players who hate the Star Wars pack are definitely in the minority, I just don't think there's an accurate overall representation on social media.

But I mean, that's just what I observe. It's possible that the pack doesn't end up doing well at all. I doubt we'll ever know until we see (or don't see) more branding in the game.

I'm actually not talking about simmers loving or hating the pack. I'm talking about people who play other video games. There was one game changer I saw who got an advanced copy, not a simmer, but he reviewed it. I'll paraphrase him, but he was like, maybe if you like sims you'll like this, but it's boring.

The problem with the pack, if it's trying to draw people in, it honestly needs to be spectacular. You're not getting the regular sims experience, because there's no building and very little CAS. The socialization is quite limited. And the tasks are repetitive. And if someone is trying the game solely because of Star Wars, that's going to be their first impression.

Maybe it's a smash hit? I don't know. But I honestly cannot see them pulling people from other genres in because, honestly, games that do quests do them much, much better.

Yes, that's true, other gamers have bigger experiences to compare to. It's certainly not going to attract those who can play the actual SW games or who play MMOs on the regular.

I just don't think that's the target. I think it's the young, inexperienced Disney crowd as well as Star Wars enthusiasts who either collect everything or have been to and enjoyed the real Galaxy's Edge. Also, more casual gamers who don't play high challenge games.

It doesn't need to be spectacular. It just needs to catch interest and curiosity. People who have never touched a Sims game before have no idea what to expect.

yep, I agree here, but the gameplay really does need to be engaging. Sims is an amazing experience, but JtB does not reflect it at all. I've noticed with so many games, if the gameplay is good enough, even people who don't usually enjoy the genre will buy it and play it (Dragon Age: Origins is a good example). I was hoping that JtB would be like that -- but as an introduction to the Sims, I just don't think it's going to work.

But I could be wrong.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,142 Member
    At first I thought I won't buy jtb, because it hasn't nothing what I need for my gameplay right now. But I didn't say never, because that word doesn't like me. Then I saw the james turner video where he said that's the most fascist flag in the game about the first order flag and I thought, hmm, yes he's absolutely right, the first order costumes remind me aswell. Now I consider to buy it, when I will reach in my history gamesave these darkest years. I guess, that wasn't ea intention or even in their mind, when they have planned this gamepack.