Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Nicer looking townies

I would like to open discussion about townies and how they look like. It would be nice if townies had little more personality and they were nicer looking. Im not sure if its intentional or if its bug, but when I make my own townies to fit my style and theme the game destroys and replaces the clothes with very random clothes that ruin the theme. Its like totally a mess, sunglasses and socking etc. Its quite ruins theme playing and the feeling of effort gamer makes to create the town into personal taste and the work put on creating unique sims. For example making scifi town and even the played sims come accross walking in totally silly looking random clothes.

I think that there has been little improvements and some of the new characters are quite nice so im not saying everything is wrong.

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    Is Situational Clothing still a problem? It's been around since CL destorying any outfit a player picked even for their own Sims.

Also, It's been requested a hundred times that when we are in CAS to not generate earrings on every male Sim, or glasses for party outfit when we are trying to build a Sim, it was so annoying to remove those over and over for a large household. There is a thread about the townies outfits they choose, and the clothes' police thread, lol, I think Maxis hasn't seen it or they would get the point. Picture heavy, so I don't see how they don't know any of this by now.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    Yes that is exactly what I ment, thanks. Also that affects the festivals, because before people had event appropriate outfits to stand out and it was awesome to go for romance festival when everyone had the correct outfits.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited September 2020
    I think the sims4 team have given up on this.

The only thing that I can remember that they fixed was the nerdcon outfits because they did not work properly and sims ended up with no pants. But apart from that I have not seen them doing any effort in fixing broken towel outfits, hats getting stuck on sims, improving how the game selects clothing for situational outfits like rain outfits or how the game generates outfits on townies.

And they just keep adding more clothes to their clothing categories so their outfits just gets weirder and uglier.

Maybe this is why sims on Batuu can only wear Batuu clothing, because they know their outfit generator is a mess.

I can recommend MC Command Center if you use mods, with that you can replace situational outfits with everyday clothing.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Nicer looking townies - - - really. LOL [img][/img]1dw7cmG.jpg
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

That one is on purpose tho. The City Living have like 4 "Weirdos" that are supposed to be ridiculous on purpose. Him, the lady with the wrestling mask and a few others.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,934 Member
    i think they should just straight up add that "disable townie generation" toggle so the game stops creating new townies and uses existing ones and actual households

and also disable situational outfits toggle so sims use their cas assigned clothing

additionally one thing that would be super cool is npc job assignment tool which would let player choose what sim shows up for bartender in specific bar or who is the maid for your sims or such

these 3 together would really ease my "townies are ugly annoying and i hate them" rage

my feud is not with ugly sims its with the never ending spawning action i can't control and the ridiculously rich sims showing up as pizza dude as if that makes sense

its kind of like gremlins
    one gremlin? fun
    many gremlins? help
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    As usual mods do what developers claim can't be done, btw.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    edited September 2020

That one is on purpose tho. The City Living have like 4 "Weirdos" that are supposed to be ridiculous on purpose. Him, the lady with the wrestling mask and a few others.

Well, fair enough, but I don't like it. Is this one "on purpose", too? :D
    Jcp2Ev6.jpg

Not to mention these?
    JC49qTl.jpg

Well, fair enough, but I don't like it. Is this one "on purpose", too? :D
    Jcp2Ev6.jpg

Not to mention these?
    JC49qTl.jpg

No. That's lazy coding.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I'm not even amused by the fashion horrors anymore. I now have mods to: limit NPC generation, reduce the amount of CL/IL names that every NPC seemed to be generated with, select what outfits to use for festivals, remove and/or change accessories, limit accessories on generated NPC's, hide some of the hideous MAC makeup that townies seemed to constantly generate with after it was added, change on the fly what outfits NPC's are wearing. Think that's it...? Can't remember any more off the top of my head.

Again this is a "feature" that AGAIN is taking things out of the players hand. Its not OUR game. I spend at least a couple hours every day I'm playing, just going through household management making sure that names, clothes, hair, gender, makeup etc actually match. I don't want a female with a "western" name with the facial features of an Islander, and a mix-match of vampire/island/CL clothing. Same with a dark skinned male with an Island name, green eyes and red hair. I will re-do them to what my understanding of them is, whatever that may be. I'm not the most insightful when it comes to different regions and peoples of the world, but I do my best.

I'm just so very tired of fixing messes. I've suggested it before (probably not in the right "channel") but why not have generated townies use the Styled outfits? At least things would match, including accessories. Also, limiting outfits to a very few packs, lets say just basegame, would help a lot. Yes, it would probably be boring, but at least you wouldn't see as many walking disasters around anymore.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited September 2020
    They should disable the townies, they serve no purpose at this stage in the game. My game easily has enough sims to populate the world, the mod to disable townies makes my game so much nicer.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    i think they should just straight up add that "disable townie generation" toggle so the game stops creating new townies and uses existing ones and actual households
    Exactly this I have enough townies that I had to make over the game should use those stop spawning a new one every single time disabling of new townies is the way to go.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    Onverser wrote: »
    They should disable the townies, they serve no purpose at this stage in the game. My game easily has enough sims to populate the world, the mod to disable townies makes my game so much nicer.

The game needs to populate all the NPC jobs. I wouldn't want my created sims or pre-mades to be picked as stall vendors or bartenders. Let the game fill those jobs with non-important randomly generated sims. I really don't want to HAVE to create sims for all those roles. I mean, why does the game need to create sims as visitors to a bar when your sim is there? Why not use the sims that already exsist? It honestly baffles me.

What I would like is more options, give the control back to the player, without having to use mods to achieve what we want. I don't want to use mods for every little thing, but for the first time in my Sims-history, I feel I have to. I'm very much FOR opt-in features, so I can turn on things I want, but leave those I don't.
  • JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    Kathykins wrote: »

The game needs to populate all the NPC jobs. I wouldn't want my created sims or pre-mades to be picked as stall vendors or bartenders. Let the game fill those jobs with non-important randomly generated sims. I really don't want to HAVE to create sims for all those roles. I mean, why does the game need to create sims as visitors to a bar when your sim is there? Why not use the sims that already exsist? It honestly baffles me.

What I would like is more options, give the control back to the player, without having to use mods to achieve what we want. I don't want to use mods for every little thing, but for the first time in my Sims-history, I feel I have to. I'm very much FOR opt-in features, so I can turn on things I want, but leave those I don't.

Okay, opinions of this seems to vary. I never thought of this much other than that if my sims has retail or restaurant, I want to hire sims I created or placed as townies. But usually sims who work as vendors are very random. They don´t need that much personality or character.
    Jadeleine wrote: »

Okay, opinions of this seems to vary. I never thought of this much other than that if my sims has retail or restaurant, I want to hire sims I created or placed as townies. But usually sims who work as vendors are very random. They don´t need that much personality or character.

Very much agree with the bolded part :) I know we all play differently. Some like to create every sim in the world, some only a family they play. I think I'm a bit of both. I create maybe one sim to start a save, then expand from there. I also make over randoms, and some times incorporate those into my rotation or add them to families. For retail/restaurant, if I ever want to do those, I'd like my own created sims with the right traits/skills, yeah. I just don't have the best experience (or very much of it) with running my own business. For now, I use a mod to limit sim generation, and to control sims in NPC jobs.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited September 2020

The game needs to populate all the NPC jobs. I wouldn't want my created sims or pre-mades to be picked as stall vendors or bartenders. Let the game fill those jobs with non-important randomly generated sims. I really don't want to HAVE to create sims for all those roles.

I suppose it depends on personal preference, in my game with the NPCC mod it'll make sims like Bob Pancakes start working as a bartender which doesn't bother me at all. I suppose to get around that they could just create sims to work as bartenders for the game, similar to how Realm of Magic has sims who are created specifically to be the sages.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm going to look for the townie mod disabler too. I made over my worlds with all new sims and I keep seeing hideous townies. What you guys are experiencing is NOTHING. I have tons of cc and the combinations they spawn with is high blood pressure inducing. 😂
    I saw one with a pot belly, spikey blue anime hair, a hood with the hair poking through, a cyber punk face mask, heels and a fishing rod in hand. That was my landlord.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    I have MCCC set up to only draw townies from my tray, and they still show up with these ridiculous outfits. Oddly enough, even in their regular outfits, there for a long time, they were spawning with that ugly MAC makeup. A simple change would simply be to draw outfit choices from styled looks, but that's too common sense.
    cody6268 wrote: »
    I have MCCC set up to only draw townies from my tray, and they still show up with these ridiculous outfits. Oddly enough, even in their regular outfits, there for a long time, they were spawning with that ugly MAC makeup. A simple change would simply be to draw outfit choices from styled looks, but that's too common sense.

You have to ALSO disable the "Festival Outfits" otherwise the game just put your Sims in those outfits (like I had Vlad in a pink turban for three in game years).
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited September 2020
    there should be an option to disable random npcs being generated.
    it's very annoying having to delete them just for more to appear in your save.
    of course there's mccc, and if you don't want random generated townies at all, there's a mod called npcc by paulson. haven't played ts4 in a long time so dunno if it has had some changes, but it used to be a must have mod for my saves. yes, the game needs at least a few townies to fill the npc roles. i remember i used to completely depopulate my saves except for the played household, the bars were open but didn't have bartenders lol

you guys shouldn't forget that the random townies choices, their names, their clothes, their household, all is also part of the game AI, and we know how ts4 AI is. the amount of bugs don't help the cause either.
  • PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I'm not big on mods and custom content anymore, but one mod I don't play without is NPC Control.

I use it to stop random townies from spawning for two reasons. Townie fashion sense is awful, and I've always hated how intrusive most of them are too. It's like they're determined to insert themselves in everything my played sims do, and it's annoying. I own all of the packs, so I've got plenty of unemployed pre-mades that can take on the role of bartenders etc and that's fine with me. I've always said that there should be a toggle in the game settings to turn this feature on or off.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • simvasionsimvasion Posts: 110 Member
    I think people are seriously underestimating how many townies and NPCs the game actually needs. I have mods to limit NPC generation to absolutely what is necessary to fill roles, situation jobs, etc. no duplicates. And the number of sims in my game is over 700, closer to 800 since Batuu.

Once I have all the sims the game needs, it stops making them. Between packs, I've had the game run for months with no new NPC generation at all.
    simvasion wrote: »
    I think people are seriously underestimating how many townies and NPCs the game actually needs. I have mods to limit NPC generation to absolutely what is necessary to fill roles, situation jobs, etc. no duplicates. And the number of sims in my game is over 700, closer to 800 since Batuu.

Once I have all the sims the game needs, it stops making them. Between packs, I've had the game run for months with no new NPC generation at all.

An example: For every lot with a bar (as in the actual bar, not the place) the game picks or generates three bartenders for example. (They switch every 8 hours all thru the night and day). And each one only works at that specific community lot too, you don't get a bartender that works in the bar in Strangerville to show up and tend a bar in Del Sol Valley.
  • Leo2009SSALeo2009SSA Posts: 150 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Is Situational Clothing still a problem? It's been around since CL destorying any outfit a player picked even for their own Sims.

It happens to my sims all the time. When I play one household, I find sims I created in other households wearing ridiculous clothes, not the ones I picked for them. It is frustrating.

Leo2009SSA wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

It happens to my sims all the time. When I play one household, I find sims I created in other households wearing ridiculous clothes, not the ones I picked for them. It is frustrating.

Hence yet another reason to use MCCC: To disable Festival Outfits.