Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Essay - Why The Sims 5 is in Development

I made this essay earlier this week, and intended to turn it into a video essay in preparation for EA Play Live. Since they confirmed no new Sims content will be announced then, I decided to scrap the idea.

Obviously, my theory that they are announcing the game at EA Play Live is now rendered moot, but my evidence still stands to show the game is being worked on right now.

I just finished converting it into more of an academic essay with some visual receipts included in an Appendix, so if you want to see why I believe the Sims 5 is currently in development, here's a good 3,500 words of me explaining why.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P-JDZhVXSkZnp6BpWMh0lxUl8hCgRhVygrKM8V-dI-w/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Your essay is pretty awesome! Great work!
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    I'll be ready in a couple more years. I just really hope we get basic weather, at least two worlds to travel between, and cats&dogs in the base game.
  • JohnHWatson71JohnHWatson71 Posts: 44 Member
    this has not aged well
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Probably going to be one or two years till the Sims 5 releases. It is definitely in development though for some time now.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    bryanovens wrote: »
    I made this essay earlier this week, and intended to turn it into a video essay in preparation for EA Play Live. Since they confirmed no new Sims content will be announced then, I decided to scrap the idea.

Obviously, my theory that they are announcing the game at EA Play Live is now rendered moot, but my evidence still stands to show the game is being worked on right now.

I just finished converting it into more of an academic essay with some visual receipts included in an Appendix, so if you want to see why I believe the Sims 5 is currently in development, here's a good 3,500 words of me explaining why.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P-JDZhVXSkZnp6BpWMh0lxUl8hCgRhVygrKM8V-dI-w/edit?usp=sharing

I love your essay. Whether it will be true or not, I like how you form your sentences well (Coming from a non-english first language person hehe) and how use past events into forming the theory.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Interesting analysis. So TS5 will follow in the spirit of TS Online. I guess it's back to making pizzas again.
  • JokubasJokubas Posts: 100 Member
    edited September 2020
    This is the first I've heard about the Project Olympus stuff, but it explains so much. Obviously there was a little time in there that it wasn't literally just Project Olympus with the multiplayer torn out, but they certainly would have had to salvage a lot in order to hit that deadline. Holding back for the sake of network performance would explain several elements of the Sims 4 that didn't improve as much (or outright took a step back) from the Sims 3 as the rest of the industry did.

Of course, that just makes the strong implication that the Sims 5 means to make good on that initial plan extremely disappointing (I mean, not having the direction change partway through has a chance to lead to a more solid product, but it also means it'll have been two games since we had a main Sims game that was built to be singleplayer from the beginning). When the Sims Online was new, I thought the concept was extremely fascinating. To some extent, I still do, but the drawbacks to such an experience far outweigh any enjoyment I get from them anymore. A mandatory multiplayer Sims experience will certainly have some really unique aspects to it, but it's also an entirely different animal.

Your timeline makes a lot of sense, and you may not even be entirely wrong about the announcement. For obvious reasons a lot of things have been disrupted this year, and this isn't the only place I've seen "for sure" announcements not end up happening after all.
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,065 Member
    Enjoyed reading this, even if their plans for the Sims 5 is essentially dooming the franchise. Thanks for posting!
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    Hey-at least we'll have Paralives and the life sim from Paradox games to play.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    bryanovens wrote: »

What if it was sims 3 remastered 😮😮😮
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • BuildingTheSimsBuildingTheSims Posts: 92 Member
    It became certain in my mind when PlayStation magazine listed sims 5 as To be announced . I’ve even seen something that says sims 5 is to be released or announced in 2021. I guess we’ll see.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It became certain in my mind when PlayStation magazine listed sims 5 as To be announced . I’ve even seen something that says sims 5 is to be released or announced in 2021. I guess we’ll see.

Just a few months now. :D I hope when Jan. rolls around we see TS5 hints from Maxis or EA, like we saw with the TS4 eye thing. Even better if it was released in Feb. lol. Wishful thinking, since I have no idea if it's a multiplayer or an actual life simulator for the single players.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.