Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ned Help With Stairs in Building

So yeah, I've been having a lot of trouble with stairs in the sims 3. I know it may sound silly, but. I just can't figure them out. They keep going at weird angles, never go in the spot I want them too, and even sometimes go down into the grass. Can any give me tips or a link to help me figure them out? I'm not good at building houses, but am always trying to do it.

Comments

• PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    @elleskyheart: Are you trying to build with a foundation with stairs?
    :) Smile!

• elleskyheartelleskyheart Posts: 69 Member
    Puddinroy wrote: »
    @elleskyheart: Are you trying to build with a foundation with stairs?

Ah no. Not yet. I don't have foundation. Just a house on the grass. Whenever I try to place it, it never goes in the direction I want. Does this happen if you add an foundation?
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,919 Member
    edited September 2020
    I gave a couple of tutorial videos about stairs. They don't cover everything but might help. The link to my channel is in my signature. I'll try to get links to the stairs tutorials later.

I should NEVER try to do a post using my tablet.

Here is the link to my tutorials playlist. There are currently 2 relating to stairs in it. Maybe I should do another. I prefer to do YouTube tutorials than writing instructions in posts as I find I spend hours rewriting what I previously wrote hundreds of times each time someone wants some info. If I have a video I can give them the link and the info is all there. I hope you can find some use from these. Some of the tips will probably help you with your current problems.

NOT what I was expecting.

Staircase
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z7xnOL7xJY&list=PLFT4tKkKX8Wvc78leOoIOzOBOtemfqERG&index=10&t=8s

Spiral Staircase
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqev_qxvkTY&list=PLFT4tKkKX8Wvc78leOoIOzOBOtemfqERG&index=11&t=2s
    Post edited by Karritz on
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    The easiest tip is often left out from tutorials, because "everyone knows that" :smiley: : You can rotate build objects by using the comma and period keys (the keys with the ">" and "<" arrows on a US keyboard), You need to use these to rotate the stairs into the right direction.

Don't ask me how long it took me to figure that out... :lol:
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Turjan wrote: »
    The easiest tip is often left out from tutorials, because "everyone knows that" :smiley: : You can rotate build objects by using the comma and period keys (the keys with the ">" and "<" arrows on a US keyboard), You need to use these to rotate the stairs into the right direction.

Don't ask me how long it took me to figure that out... :lol:

And all the time that particular piece of knowledge was there, patiently waiting for you on page 2 of the Sims 3 Base game manual... :)

LPD0Vnj.png

All the key commands:

6R6amIH.png
    Another favourite command I use is to remove all floor tiles or wallpaper from a room - just Shift Ctrl Click when using the wallpaper or flooring tool.
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    Another favourite command I use is to remove all floor tiles or wallpaper from a room - just Shift Ctrl Click when using the wallpaper or flooring tool.

@Karritz Yep, that's an invaluable feature all right... guess where I first learned about it... in the Sims 1 Base game manual many years ago! It really is a good thing that they haven't changed all the key commands from the first game, many/most? of them are the same (if I remember correctly, that is...)
    SuzyCue72 wrote: »
    Karritz wrote: »

@Karritz Yep, that's an invaluable feature all right... guess where I first learned about it... in the Sims 1 Base game manual many years ago! It really is a good thing that they haven't changed all the key commands from the first game, many/most? of them are the same (if I remember correctly, that is...)

I have no idea. I do remember I was about to buy Sims 2 as I'd been playing the original Sims for a few years and discovered Sims 3 was about to be released so I pre-ordered Sims 3 and played The Sims until I had Sims 3 installed so I suspect I just continued on using whatever commands I was accustomed to.