Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Are the Simplest Things Impossible To Do?

As the title says, why are the simplest things you want to do in this game, especially in Build mode, impossible or hard to do?

For example, building a water fountain up against a house is fine BUT if it comes up against walls in a basement, FORGET IT.
GAME: "Sorry, you can't do that."
PLAYERS: Why?
GAME: "I don't know, you just can't."

Want to add a water fountain inside a luxury house, under a ceiling?

Want to put a water fountain in a basement?

Last night I started replicating a lovely house with a water pond underneath a FLOATING staircase on the 64x64 lot in Brindleton Bay but as soon as went to play the "floating" staircase above the water fountain, a message said "Modular staircases cannot be placed in water." HELLO, it's a FLOATING staircase. It's not even in water. It hovers above it.
2quwd7.gif

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    As the title says, why are the simplest things you want to do in this game, especially in Build mode, impossible or hard to do?

For example, building a water fountain up against a house is fine BUT if it comes up against walls in a basement, FORGET IT.

Want to add a water fountain inside a luxury house, under a ceiling?

Want to put a water fountain in a basement?

Last night I started replicating a lovely house with a water pond underneath a FLOATING staircase on the 64x64 lot in Brindleton Bay but as soon as went to play the "floating" staircase above the water fountain, a message said "Modular staircases cannot be placed in water." HELLO, it's a FLOATING staircase. It's not even in water. It hovers above it.

Sound like HAL out of 2001, "Sorry Dave, I can't allow you to do that" :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Now to be fair it took a year to be able to build basements, period.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Oof I can list my builder frustration for years 😵😵😵
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Lorenerd11Lorenerd11 Posts: 105 Member
    edited November 2020
    Fence posts. We should be to place and delete fence posts ourselves, allowing us to decide where a fence section begins and ends ourselves. Instead of either having fence posts placed automatically (which often results in awkwardness in the middle) or having fences extend into infinity.

Open neighborhoods. Since the off-lot items on the neighborhood are already fully functional regardless of which of the neighborhood's lots we are on, and the items on other lots are all loaded up anyway I don't see why we can't access other lots in the same neighborhood without any loading screens.

Trims in basements. I often use the smaller exterior trims in house interiors to decorate the edge of the floor, I see no reason why I can't do that between two basement floors.

Placing and deleting individual floor tiles. I don't want to have to constantly tinker with room tools. Allow us to place individual floor tiles on available empty tiles (thus creating a room), or delete individual floor tiles in the room (thus creating a smaller, floorless room inside the room)

CAS cheats. We should be able to use a cheat to see all hidden items in CAS without having to use mods to go into Live Mode and then permanently unlock them for the entire household with no way to reverse it afterwards.

And lastly, changing apartment boundaries and public areas. Though I understand this one is not actually simple due to each apartment being technically its own lot, I think apartments *shouldn't have been each its own lots to begin with*. Instead, apartment buildings should be a single lot with multiple households living in them (like in Sims 2).

Then we should've been able to open ALL of the building's apartments at once from Manage Worlds, with relevant markers for each area (make it require cheats to alter boundaries and see/move area markers if you need to), and then only limit players to a specific apartment when opening BuildBuy from Live Mode.
    Post edited by Lorenerd11 on
  • Lorenerd11Lorenerd11 Posts: 105 Member
    I misread the title as "WHAT are the simplest things that are impossible to do", but hopefully this contributes nonetheless.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited September 2020
    One simple building thing that I'm still frustrated about not being able to do is painting the friggin' ceilings. It's been 6 years. We got that in TS2 in far less time! I mean, sure, the default camera (which is garbage, by the way) doesn't show you ceilings...but the TS3 camera (which is much better) and the Tab camera both DO! It's a pain to be trying to take screenshots in a house that's all stone or someplace that's supposed to be really grungy, or a fancy old Victorian mansion...and you have to get your angle just so you don't pick up those horrible, plain white ceilings that totally ruin the setting!! They're too clean for grungy builds, they're too modern for old-fashioned builds, and they do NOT go with every wall color either (sometimes, a colored ceiling just works better than a plain white one on an aesthetic level). I hate them with a passion.

It's been 6 years, let us paint the bloody ceilings already!! DX
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited September 2020
    Lorenerd11 wrote: »
    Fence posts. We should be to place them ourselves, decide where a fence section begins and ends ourselves. Instead of either having fence posts placed automatically (which often results in awkwardness in the middle) or having fences extend into infinity.

Open neighborhoods. Since the off-lot items on the neighborhood are already fully functional regardless of which of the neighborhood's lots we are on, and the items on other lots are all loaded up anyway I don't see why we can't access other lots in the same neighborhood without any loading screens.

Trims in basements. I often use the smaller exterior trims in house interiors to decorate the edge of the floor, I see no reason why I can't do that between two basement floors.

Placing and deleting individual floor tiles. I don't want to have to constantly tinker with room tools. Allow us to place individual floor tiles on available empty tiles (thus creating a room), or delete individual floor tiles in the room (thus creating a smaller, floorless room inside the room)

CAS cheats. We should be able to use a cheat to see all hidden items in CAS without having to use mods to go into Live Mode and then permanently unlock them for the entire household with no way to reverse it afterwards.

And lastly, changing apartment boundaries and public areas. Though I understand this one is not actually simple due to each apartment being technically its own lot, I think apartments *shouldn't have been each its own lots to begin with*. Instead, apartment buildings should be a single lot with multiple households living in them (like in Sims 2).

Then we should've been able to open ALL of the building's apartments at once from Manage Worlds, with relevant markers for each area (make it require cheats to alter boundaries and see/move area markers if you need to), and then only limit players to a specific apartment when opening BuildBuy from Live Mode.

This! One of my all time biggest pet peeves since the very beginning of playing TS4! I hate that!

One simple building thing that I'm still frustrated about not being able to do is painting the friggin' ceilings. It's been 6 years. We got that in TS2 in far less time! I mean, sure, the default camera (which is garbage, by the way) doesn't show you ceilings...but the TS3 camera (which is much better) and the Tab camera both DO! It's a pain to be trying to take screenshots in a house that's all stone or someplace that's supposed to be really grungy, or a fancy old Victorian mansion...and you have to get your angle just so you don't pick up those horrible, plain white ceilings that totally ruin the setting!! They're too clean for grungy builds, they're too modern for old-fashioned builds, and they do NOT go with every wall color either (sometimes, a colored ceiling just works better than a plain white one on an aesthetic level). I hate them with a passion.

It's been 6 years, let us paint the bloody ceilings already!! DX

This is another HUGE pet peeve of mine too! Totally ruins any type of rustic or industrial build having that ugly ceiling! And you know, the ceiling texture is actually in the flooring section of the game. I've changed mine but it's a default override so it changes every ceiling in all the rooms and in every single house.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    big mood

also personally

I wan't to put this fence on edge of lot
    game: ya can't

maybe with a gate?
    game:YA CAN'T

please?
    game: STOP IT YOU VULGAR CREATURE THIS IS OFF YOUR LOT

ahh stress
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited September 2020
    yBIkX8F.gif
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    big mood

also personally

I wan't to put this fence on edge of lot
    game: ya can't

maybe with a gate?
    game:YA CAN'T

please?
    game: STOP IT YOU VULGAR CREATURE THIS IS OFF YOUR LOT

ahh stress

Easily done in TS2. Have long been baffled why TS4 won't allow full lot usage, especially since there are so few of them to begin with.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Oof I can list my builder frustration for years 😵😵😵

I have quite the list too.

I can't build fountains in the home but I can have pools, A pool is deeper than a fountain. That is one of my pet peeves as a builder.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    I feel this. I've been working on a build challenge and have had to completely scrap a bunch of my ideas because of the stupid restrictions on placing certain items. Also, I agree about the ceiling. My log cabin looks weird with a white ceiling and so does my crumbling stone palace.