Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What was your first experience of the Sims?

AlexSimmermanAlexSimmerman Posts: 80 Member
I was about 6 years old. My family took me to the local shopping centre to spend my birthday money and my older sister ‘tricked’ me into buying The Sims 1 cause she wanted to play it.

When we got home, I was instantly obsessed & I’ve never looked back! it’s my favourite game, even now, 20 years later I still play regularly.

Not many of my real-life friends are interested in the franchise which is why I’m so grateful I’ve found an online community of Simmers!
Post edited by EA_Joz on

Comments

• ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    I was aware of The Sims for very long time, by my first real experience with it was when Sims 3 came out. But I've never truly gotten into it until Sims 4 and specifically Vampire pack/
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    I can't remember precisely why I chose to buy it but I do remember buying 'The Sims' Deluxe Edition from GameStation in town.

517M087QYEL._AC_.jpg

I then remember seeing an advert for The Sims 2 on TV and then buying that. It wasn't really until I found the online community that The Sims became an even bigger part of my life. 😂
    I was about 6 years old. My family took me to the local shopping centre to spend my birthday money and my older sister ‘tricked’ me into buying The Sims 1 cause she wanted to play it.

When we got home, I was instantly obsessed & I’ve never looked back! it’s my favourite game, even now, 20 years later I still play regularly.

Not many of my real-life friends are interested in the franchise which is why I’m so grateful I’ve found an online community of Simmers!

A few friends of mine played it but when I found the online community in 2006, everything changed. I made a bunch of friends through the forum (then The Sims 2 UK) that I still speak to daily and the rest I remain connected to on social media etc. I've been very grateful for everything The Sims has brought me over the years. :smile:
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    I wasn't a gamer, per se. In fact I could hardly sit still long enough to play Mario Birthday Cart (or whatever was the name) with my kids. Glad when I was knocked out of the game, I would often look at the time and declare I had to go start dinner. :open_mouth: So, when my grown daughter filled our long-distant phone calls with her exploits with The Sims and later on with Sims2, I had to admit it was slightly intriguing. When she got back to our home state, she sat me down in front of her gaming laptop and showed me, first hand, what Sims2 was all about. She had me enter CAS and create a Sim, which I did. Then she suggested I place her into a home on a lot, which I did. Then she guided me through some basic gameplay. My addiction was swift and surprising to ALL of us. I wasn't a gamer at all. But, it got me through the Empty Nest years of my life when our youngest left home to pursue his own life. I've been playing the Sims ever since.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I was 8 years old and visited a friends house. She had gotten sims 1 and was playing it telling me how great it was. I watched her play for a while and then we started playing it together a little. After that I begged my parents to get it for me if I got good grades. I’ve been playing ever since. My friend still plays occasionally but not as often as I do.

All I remember from sims 1 is making my family and literally everything in the house randomly catching fire and killing everyone.
  • Evee95Evee95 Posts: 66 Member
    I used to play the petz and the babyz games. I was about 11 years old and my favourite shop was Game and I'd nag my mum to take me because I just loved looking at the boxes and the game guides! (Who remembers game guides!) I lived in a rural village miles from anything so a trip to the nearest town was a big thing. It took some organising.

I saw The Sims Vacation and liked the yellow box so I picked that. Didn't know I needed the base game... so when I found out I nagged my mum again to take me back to the shop. I remember telling her if she just got me this one more game I'd never bother her again. Well that was an out and out lie because there was all the other expansions...then Sims 2.

I remember the Sims 2 didn't work with my graphics card so I was nagging her AGAIN but this time for a new PC. She's had some rest now I'm a grown up and can flitter my money away freely on it.

I remember when I got livin large and the Grim Reaper showed up (that never happened before) and I turned the computer off at the plug cause I was scared and thought it was a virus.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    I saw SimCity 2000 running on a display computer at WalMart, and was hooked. I had no idea how the game worked -- I just built roads and plopped down parks and stuff -- but the idea that I could build a little city on a computer was AMAZING to me. I played both it and the sequel, SimCity 3000, and the previews for SimCity 3000 Unlimited (the edition I got) featured The Sims. I was instantly hooked and bought it on release. It and Civ3's expansions are the only ones I've ever preordered!
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,965 Member
    17 years ago, my sister suddenly felt the need to try Sims 1 on a Friday afternoon after school. I was horrified because we spent most of our free time outside with our horses, and I couldn't understand how a stupid PC game could suddenly be more important than our beloved horses! :o So I watched her play for a moment to find out what was so great about this mysterious game. And what can I say, I spent the whole weekend on the laptop :D . I was addicted from the first minute and it lasts until today :).
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Ayeffen wrote: »
    I can't remember precisely why I chose to buy it but I do remember buying 'The Sims' Deluxe Edition from GameStation in town.

517M087QYEL._AC_.jpg

I then remember seeing an advert for The Sims 2 on TV and then buying that. It wasn't really until I found the online community that The Sims became an even bigger part of my life. 😂

A few friends of mine played it but when I found the online community in 2006, everything changed. I made a bunch of friends through the forum (then The Sims 2 UK) that I still speak to daily and the rest I remain connected to on social media etc. I've been very grateful for everything The Sims has brought me over the years. :smile:

The cover art used to be so cool and interesting.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    My Sims story is boring. I've only been playing since March, and it was after I watched a GrayStillPlays TS4 video on Youtube that I knew I had to have it. I quickly became addicted! In just a one month span, I created over 100 households.

From Day 1, my Sims and my playing style have always been geared towards hilarity and mayhem, and it's given me a ton of laughs along the way
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    I followed Sims 1 pre-release news and was both intrigued and sceptic. Was this even a real game? Then I bought it at release, got hooked, but treated the series as my "guilty pleasure" for years.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    It was 2001. I had just gotten my first computer (blue clamshell iBook) so I could work on computer programming at home instead of having to hang out in the campus computer lab. (BBEdit and FTP) I was at the Apple Store looking at software, when the title The Sims from Aspyr caught my eye. (Aspyr did the Mac ports for both the original Sims and Sims 2.) I'd played SimCity on my SNES and enjoyed it, so I thought I'd give it a try. After all, I couldn't do homework ALL of the time. :) Almost 20 years later, here I am...
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    edited September 2020
    To be honest, it looked so boring. BORING!!! Been mostly a 'simulation' gamer for a long time. I saw that Sims4 could be modded after watching some videos by random chance. Thought I'd do it just for the mods for kicks and giggles. But after starting to play, the mods got irritating and I was actually enjoying the base game itself. It was more fun than I thought it would ever be.
    My very first character had triplets (no mods) That was a challenge especially since I barely knew how to play!

@Smellincoffee If Sim City 2000 counts, then yeah, that was my first 'sims' I remember skipping about two weeks of school to play that game. Hehe!
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I was visiting a friend's house when I was like 10 years old. She was playing The Sims (yes, the original) on her Playstation and it looked awesome! I played for a bit and almost became addicted... when I went home, I knew what I wanted for Christmas that year! Except, I wanted it for PC (which I discovered existed).

Later that year, I had a snow day from school around Christmas (like maybe a week before my school went on Christmas vacation). My mom allowed me and my sister to open a present early (this was actually a tradition our family had with snow days)... mine turned out to be The Sims: Deluxe Edition... I was extremely happy and excited! I immediately put it into the computer and installed it... and I literally played all day and night! <3 Since then, I've been addicted!

A few weeks later, I had some leftover Christmas money from my grandparents... we went to the store and I bought one of those volume collections that contained 'Hot Date', 'Vacation', and 'Makin Magic'... then, my next Birthday, I purchased a volume collection with 'House Party' and 'Unleashed'... then I bought 'Superstar' alone later on... so yeah, I kinda completed the collection within a year! lol

Then Sims 2 came out... and so on... lol
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited September 2020
    I was into SimCity (the version that looked like this)50338153236_f62d3a58fd.jpg
    (on DOS or Commodore, I can’t remember which)
    and learned that there was a game where you could control the people! I was really excited! Even though I had no money at the time, I found a way to buy The Sims.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    For some reason I just had a thought one day, I'd like to play a game where I can create a family and their home and control their lives. Then I discovered such a game existed. So there I was, playing TS1 on PS1. It must've been mid-late 1990s.

I progressed to TS Bustin' Out on PS2 but when my PS2 broke, that was it for years until TS4 now.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I was in my early 20's, playing the first iteration of The Sims shortly after it launched. Played it with only the 2 other expansions until it Windows 10 did not allow it to be installed easily on my computer. So, that game was on at least 5 computers. Only bought Sims 4 in 2016.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Darn I'm old... I was an adult with kids already and saw the original sims game while shopping my best guess is shortly after release since I didn't see any other packs and later found out about them and started buying.
    Anyway, brought it home put it in and my sim (Shelia) died via stove fire after hours of playing and not saving. GAME OVER. I was horrified and crestfallen... but went right back to it the next day. Learned my first sim lesson.... save frequently!

RIP Shelia!
    egTcBMc.png
  • LouciferLoucifer Posts: 199 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sim City 2 then a friend had Sims (1) on her computer I thought the graphics looked so bad like old atari games then I saw S2 and got addicted. First play was PS 2 no cc no mods did have a cheat disk lol
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny
    Thomas Jefferson (3rd US President)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    First learned about it back in the prior century while researching for an economics paper. Why EA is a separate, and long, story. Game looked interesting so kept up on in the the gaming magazines (remember those?). Was sold on the idea so when launch day came I was at Babbage's $ in hand to get it. Not looked back since. Yes, I remember game guides, and consider them indispensable. To me a great failing of TS4 is their absence other than for base game.
  • Echo17121Echo17121 Posts: 88 Member
    I guess technically the original Sim City was the first I had. My best friend had SimTown that she very rarely let me play. But I had a friend lend me her Sims 1 when we were in high school (maybe middle) and I was hooked. I actually remember not wanting to go out with friends one night because I wanted to play it and saying to one of my friends that night "I'd rather be playing the Sims right now".
    The Sims 2 was my favorite though. I used to skip college classes on days that new packs would come out.
  • Ghostkev79Ghostkev79 Posts: 20 Member
    Before the Sims 1 launched... there was MASSIVE hype for it. I counted down the days to play this interesting new game, checking out the website and such, reading about it in magazines and tv shows like Gamespot TV on the old ZDTV channel before it became TechTV.. My frien'ds brother i remember him he would play on the official website a little game were you fed a baby in the bassinet... he was so obsessed,.. he played that feeding game over and over.

So been a sims fan since Day 1. One of my favorite memories is when a friend of mine we took turns playing it, we made a girls school, the ehadmasters were Jack Box of jack in the box, and elvira, mistress of the dark lol
  • Ghostkev79Ghostkev79 Posts: 20 Member
    I was 20 when it came out BTW... (( sorry i don't know how to edit posts :/))
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Being a child playing MySims Party as I was too young to play the actual games
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    My grandmother had Sim City and my sister and I played it a few times when we visited her. At some point I saw someone had The Sims (1) and I watched a little, but didn't get to play. I was interested initially because Sim City had been so much fun, and I wanted to play very much! If I got to tinker and build a Sim and play for a few minutes I don't really remember.

A friend had Sims 2 and that was my real introduction. We played and played and played, and when Sims 3 came out, she gave me her entire set of everything in Sims 2. Then I bought 3 because open world and color wheel. I will always love you, color wheel. Someone gave my daughter Sims 4 as a gift and she got me into it. I played for her, and I... build mostly, now. I have a new computer and 3 isn't installed. The last time I played the graphics and outdated look of everything got to me. I'd downloaded a couple mods that made the game load fast and prevented glitches, so if I decide to install I'll definitely find those again.

TL;DR: I met Sims 1 in passing, but my real first was Sims 2.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Sims 1 was my first experience with the sims franchise...

I was part of another life simulation community for a game called Creatures at the time Sims 1 released and my friends from that community kept talking about playing the the Sims so I thought I would give it a try. I didn't really like the Sims 1 all that much though as I didn't understand the point a life simulation that had no aging or natural deaths. My interest in the Sims franchise didn't really hit me until the Sims 2 was announced. I must have only been in my early 20's when I first heard mention of the Sims.