Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What’s your opinion on lore/ backstories in The Sims?

AlexSimmermanAlexSimmerman Posts: 80 Member
Personally, I love to see Pre-made Sims have interesting, scandalous and drama filled storylines and interesting connections with each other. Affairs, rivalries, paternity issues. It seems like Since The Sims 2, we’ve gradually got less and less lore and storylines in the game and it’s a shame.

Even the very vague and tame storylines we’re supposed to have in TS4 according to the Family descriptions aren’t actually reflected in the gameplay relationships.

It doesn’t take much resources to add in these little touches of lore so it seems disappointing they’re not included in my opinion,
Post edited by EA_Joz on

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I don't really care. I never play with the premade families.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    While I don't play with the premade families, either, it does add a nice sense of wholeness to the game. One doesn't move into a neighborhood without learning something of their neighbors after a time. I miss it, actually. I also miss the newspapers to 'catch' up on the doings of the other Sims. So much has been stripped away, but sadly the innovations are such, that going backward for a few perks just isn't satisfying either. I know others have complained about getting the same things in each iteration, but what I'm looking for is the fun of what came before coupled with and added to the innovations of the newer. Think about it. This is what I would ask for in Sims5.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    The actual Sims themselves don't do much for me because I like to create my own characters and stories, but I enjoy some references which builds the whole interconnectedness of the franchise.

With some of the lots I remodelled in Willow Creek I used a few names to give a bit of "history" to the businesses that I created:
    Ayeffen wrote: »
    Joining Landgraab & Co are popular chains like SBC (Simoleon Banking Corporation), Caliente Fashion, Cassandra's Cakes, and world famous chef Daniel Pleasant's new restaurant, 'Fredesche Wompf'.

1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • Evee95Evee95 Posts: 66 Member
    I miss it so much. I've recreated the Sims 1 and Sims 2 characters and set it up so I can re experience playing with their stories in the Sims 4.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    This game has no actual lore lol.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I get rid of them all. Perhaps Maxis has learned that many do when getting feedback from gameplayers who tick that option when playing the game.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    I like it vague. More intricate backstories and scenarios alway felt like playing with someone else's dollies or that my stories are only fanfics. I think it's telling that I got into playing the premades in Desiderata Valley, Sims 2's least developed neighborhood and characters. It had just enough storyhooks to work with, while not being too much in my face.

The instances where they tried to built their own lore in Sims 4, like the two universities, actually put me off. Now I have to retcon existing lore to fit my world instead of simply being able to build my unis from the ground up.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    As I play strictly for comedic purposes, I never even look at the backstories, nor do I play any of the NPC's
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    I've only played a couple of them in Sims 3 and that was for a challenge. I usually keep a few for neighbors but delete most of them.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Until joining this forum and watching plumbellas videos I never knew lore was a thing in the game. I knew there were pre-made sims but never previously played them. Now I have some generations of the goths, villareal and some of the newer pre-makes from the recent packs in the game but they are mainly supporting characters. The landgraabs at one point played a bigger role and then one of my sims killed them off. So sim lore and most pre-mades I have not much interest in them.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    I've never played with premades much, except to marry them into my Sim's family. But I did enjoy their backstories and I grew attached to them. I became even more attached to them after I started playing Sims 4.

In Sims 4, because they don't have any depth to them, I've deleted all of the premades and replaced them with re-creations of Sims 2 premades. My houses are full of Sims 2 premades and townies. Because of the way the game works, they still don't have quite the same depth and humor to them, but I like them better.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I miss them. I would always use them as a jumping off point when I played with the premades and didn't have any ideas.I hope they bring them back if they do make a sims 5.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I delete all premades and fill the world with my own sims. Creating sims and their stories is the reason I play so having that done for me isn't enjoyable. It's no problem if it's there to me though, cuz yeah, I can just delete them.
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,065 Member
    While it’s never been a necessity to me, it’s always been something I enjoyed in my worlds and my towns. Backstories and biographies to the Sims around my household made the town feel much more alive, and made many (like Thorton Wolff from the Sims 3 being one of my favourites) have a permanent place in my heart. Even if I don’t play with premades often, worlds feel much more lively and real when they’re fleshed out, and it’s a feature I miss deeply in The Sims 4.
  • ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    I love lore, and it's one area I'd love to see improved upon (although with TS4 I have extrapolated heavily on what we do get for Sims like Johnny and the Vatores). Give me that good story stuff!
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I miss the lore. I didn't play with pre-mades much to be honest, but it's nice when you see them around town and know a bit about them. I know I can make it up myself, and I do for my own sims, but if I'm playing with a pre-made, they should be pre-made and have their story too, not just be a pretty face.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    I always look at all the premades individually and read their family biographies when a new pack comes out, but after that they become background characters in my story that features my own sims. When I do play with premades, I usually change their appearances and backgrounds to fit them into my world. If anything, I sometimes take inspiration from the established lore, but ultimately it's not that important to me because I tend to do my own thing anyway.
  • PotsaePotsae Posts: 79 Member
    I love lore and backstories. They're never forced on anyone because of how the game works so it's nice to have them for people who like them. For me it's not always fun to play only with my own imagination and they help to shake things up like I wouldn't come up with a serial killer auntie but if I'm given one I'll see what I can do about it ahah. Sometimes I would just read all the backstories and come up with plot for my sims. Plus premades neighbours and side characters are always better than whatever game generates.
    Sadly for me it's one more area where TS4 were incredibly lazy. I still remember my dissapointment when I played Pancakes for the first and last time and they were nothing like advertisments, nothing. And among newer premades (though not actually new, because I played a long while ago) I only remember some groups of adults companies living together because reasons.
    Yeah, I'd dream they go back to lore, to Bella, to aliens, to Nervous, but it's just dreams.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    To be honest I couldn't care less for lore. I never pay attention to the premades that much. Some little hints of backstory is nice to have though.