Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's with this VIP Feedback?!

SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
edited September 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Did y'all know EA is selecting specific players to give feedback for the game? And it's supposed to be 15-20 players from the playtester program if I understand this correctly?
Isn't our feedback in the forums good enough? Aren't we providing them with enough positive and negative critique for the game? Do our opinions even matter at this point or are they going to just handpick a small group of people to give feedback?
I don't get it. This is too VIP plum for me. I don't know why they necessarily need to do this when they have so many of us in the feedback section writing threads for years now.
Also why are only people from the US and Canada allowed to participate? What about feedback from other countries?

What do you guys think of this? Here's a pic and a video about this from SimmerErin.

pic of the email you get if you've been chosen: tQrAPG9.png

This is the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyZzc_4XmKs&pp=wgIECgIIAQ==

[removed profanity from title - EA_Leeloo]
Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    I wanted to be a playtester but I don’t think you can if you live in France. It’s frustrating.
    Hey I speak English enough to give feedbacks you know, and I’m not the only one here :)

But hey, I also think like you, they get A LOT of interesting and constructive feedback on here and on twitter !!
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Kinda weird. I'm guessing it's only US and Canada because of timezones? They can't really invite people to a session at 3am
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Maybe they picked simmers who actually play the game regularly. I believe they can tell on Origin how often and how much people actually play.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I agree with you @simgirl1010
    Maybe they want people that basically enjoy and play and spend time in the game to tell them how to make it better? Rather than scrap it all and move on? Not really helpful if they don't plan on doing that.
    egTcBMc.png
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Maybe they picked simmers who actually play the game regularly. I believe they can tell on Origin how often and how much people actually play.

@simgirl1010 @Hermitgirl I love that you always try to see the positive in everything but we are talking about 15-20 people who are from the playtesters program and are restricted to US and Canada. That is by no means representative...
    edited September 2020
    Also;

This private feedback session is only for those who have signed up for EA Playtesting opportunities on their website and the invitations for this feedback session is very limited. It’s also worth noting that everything mentioned during this session will probably be under strict embargo.

It's exciting though as this is potentially evidence that lots more content might be in the works.
    Why can't there be multiple ways to receive and process feedback for the game? Why is it bad to talk to simmers one on one also? They have access to the forums already, how do you know they aren't utilizing this info? I've seen many twitter posts from gurus that indicate yes we are very aware of things and I take that at face value personally. Being aware and being able to actually work with suggestions that may never be possible or might not be possible in this game for a long time are very different things. They can use these ideas if they want but the forums are kind of hard to wade through and I don't feel are as representative as people like to think they are.
    I know I'd be happy to get that email personally as a simmer.
    Either way I'm sure their play testing applications will soar due to this.
    egTcBMc.png
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Why can't there be multiple ways to receive and process feedback for the game? Why is it bad to talk to simmers one on one also? They have access to the forums already, how do you know they aren't utilizing this info? I've seen many twitter posts from gurus that indicate yes we are very aware of things and I take that at face value personally. Being aware and being able to actually work with suggestions that may never be possible or might not be possible in this game for a long time are very different things. They can use these ideas if they want but the forums are kind of hard to wade through and I don't feel are as representative as people like to think they are.

@Hermitgirl I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying they are obviously not reading, applying or even responding to the feedback we give them over here. I have not seen a Guru come to this forum in years and answer a question or say something. They seem to be ignoring everything we say but now suddenly 15 random people get to livestream with EA? This is VIP privilage.
    You know what is less representative than the forums? Choosing just 15 people. When you have 30 million people who have downloaded this game yet ask 15 people for feedback I think there's a problem.
    We ask for more transparency yet we get a livestream where only 15 people can say their opinions and we aren't even allowed to know what they said. How could anyone think this is helpful. Please explain?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2020
    I almost signed up for this play testing program but I saw that you have to live within a certain location, like Orlando and some other cities. Typically people are asked to come into the EA location and play test games in person and give their feedback. I’m guessing due to COVID, they’re sending links to play games and answer a questionnaire remotely from home this time.
    edited September 2020
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

@Hermitgirl I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying they are obviously not reading, applying or even responding to the feedback we give them over here. I have not seen a Guru come to this forum in years and answer a question or say something. They seem to be ignoring everything we say but now suddenly 15 random people get to livestream with EA? This is VIP privilage.
    You know what is less representative than the forums? Choosing just 15 people. When you have 30 million people who have downloaded this game yet ask 15 people for feedback I think there's a problem.
    We ask for more transparency yet we get a livestream where only 15 people can say their opinions and we aren't even allowed to know what they said. How could anyone think this is helpful. Please explain?

You absolutely don't know that they aren't reading. I've seen them come in now and then. The initial times when the game was new was horrendous to watch them try to interact and not at all productive. This is not how developers should be spending their time unless they just want to in my opinion. Let someone else wade through this stuff for them.
    How are they ignoring everything we say? Maybe it just takes years to get through what they are doing before they decide on the next project that may or may not be what you want to see in the game personally. I've seen many, many things come to the game that I wanted and asked for in the forums. Did it happen the next day, month or year... nope. Does that mean they listened to me or it was just something that was eventually going to come? I dunno.. but I think a bit of both. It's a big game with many directions it can go in.
    I've already explained why I think it's helpful in my second post by the way... it's more feedback and it's direct.
    egTcBMc.png
  • FroilFroil Posts: 102 Member
    edited September 2020
    I've gotten some of these before and I really would like to do them (hey, can't beat free packs), but unfortunately I'm pretty scared to have to talk to people hehe...
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2020
    They know exactly what we want because we've been asking them for six years, yet we've had very little in terms of response. This is probably a token gesture to look like they're listening. If the embargo is true, then that goes against the image of transparency they're trying to establish.

I'm sorry to be skeptical and harsh, but they have lied, skewed the truth and played with us so many times. I am 100% sure that this is less altruistic and more about manipulating us, or trying to do the bare minimum to fix the game, or even find out what people are willing to pay for in order to fix the game. I have no reason to trust EA and every reason to think that this is a scam.
    Post edited by Gordy on
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I am in the playtester program. Why they picked me for the program I don't know since I complain quite a bit. Most of the sessions I can't sign up for now because of working full time and it isn't at home, but the remote option is nice since I don't live near a studio. I can't talk about it too much since NDAs and all and generally we are not allowed to share emails like that to the public. But hey at least now you guys know playtesters are real. I really appreciate when Simmers report bugs too, because it makes what we do as playtesters easier to do. It is kind of like the Game Changer program without the fame and glory which I like. But yes for anyone that is able to sign up for the program, you should especially if you would like bugs fixed. Kind of better opportunity to sign up now during Covid anyways since many people have to stay home.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited September 2020
    Anyone can sign up to the playtester programme, it's not that exclusive https://www.ea.com/playtesting

There is an age restriction:

USA: 14 - 15 years old may attend with a parent or guardian. 16 years of age + may attend alone

Canada: 15 years of age and up

UK / Sweden: 16 years of age and up

FAQ here - https://www.ea.com/playtesting/faq/become-a-playtester

apple-signature.png
  • SimyimSimyim Posts: 142 Member

SimGuruMrE wrote: »
    We lurk, we look at feedback and discussions, we try to acquire feedback from various places including these forums, we cant always talk about what we are working on but we always start by searching the forums, sometimes though written communication can not be as good as a direct dialog in person or in this case in virtual person.

Thanks so much for the info! So glad to see Simgurus in the forum! :)
    Anyone can sign up to the playtester programme, it's not that exclusive https://www.ea.com/playtesting

USA: 14 - 15 years old may attend with a parent or guardian. 16 years of age + may attend alone

@BluebellFlora yes but it doesn't matter how many people are in the program, they still pick only 15 or something
    Scobre wrote: »
    I am in the playtester program. Why they picked me for the program I don't know since I complain quite a bit. Most of the sessions I can't sign up for now because of working full time and it isn't at home, but the remote option is nice since I don't live near a studio. I can't talk about it too much since NDAs and all and generally we are not allowed to share emails like that to the public. But hey at least now you guys know playtesters are real. I really appreciate when Simmers report bugs too, because it makes what we do as playtesters easier to do. It is kind of like the Game Changer program without the fame and glory which I like. But yes for anyone that is able to sign up for the program, you should especially if you would like bugs fixed. Kind of better opportunity to sign up now during Covid anyways since many people have to stay home.

@Scobre If they picked you to give live feedback then I'm relieved since I agree with you most of the time.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member

@BluebellFlora yes but it doesn't matter how many people are in the program, they still pick only 15 or something

Yep, maybe people are picked at random? Who knows but SimGuruMrE has stated they do read the forums.

Perhaps it would be more productive to explain how you think they should choose people? If you have 2,000 people signed up to the play testing programme, how would you choose 15 individuals to play test that would truly reflect the play styles and wants of every single player?

apple-signature.png
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    @SimGuruMrE Do you have to live near a specific location or can you sign up from anywhere ? I'm in France.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited September 2020
    @Scobre Well done for being chosen. I hope you participate. Even though you criticise the game a lot I feel lots of your criticisms are warranted and lead to a better game for all of us. Stick up for the Offliners! Good luck. <3
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    edited September 2020
    15-20 people isn't much of a survey. Too small of a group. Glad to read that they look here, first. Or that was said to smooth our ruffled feathers. I'm just so very weary of things politic right now. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if those picked for this play-testing are more like-minded to the ones asking for opinions.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    15-20 people isn't much of a survey. Too small of a group. Glad to read that they look here, first. Or that was said to smooth our ruffled feathers. I'm just so very weary of things politic right now. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if those picked for this play-testing are more like-minded to the ones asking for opinions.

It's what? about the same number of players as the game changers, isn't it?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

@simgirl1010 @Hermitgirl I love that you always try to see the positive in everything but we are talking about 15-20 people who are from the playtesters program and are restricted to US and Canada. That is by no means representative...

I think smaller groups would be more productive and hopefully they'll have more sessions.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I signed up now. I don‘t think I‘ll get chosen though.
    Dianesims wrote: »
    @SimGuruMrE Do you have to live near a specific location or can you sign up from anywhere ? I'm in France.
    You didn‘t ask me but when I signed up I had the option to choose „Other Location (Europe)“. I‘m sure it‘s a plus to live near the studios though.