Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your thoughts on Rabbitholes?

Honestly, ever since the Sims 4 came out, one argument against the Sims 3 that I’ve always seen is that it has... rabbitholes. This argument has never made sense to me. Every game has rabbitholes, but I’ve always preferred seeing my Sims actually got into a rabbithole and listening to the ambiance or pressing work hard and leaving them be over having them simply drive off of a lot or disappear. It’s always been more believable to me, and while playable careers are fun, some get a little repetitive after a while and I don’t mind seeing them disappear or entire into a building from time to time.

Are you for or against rabbitholes? if against; what would you do to change it or replace it? And for those who use it against the Sims 3 as an argument... why?

Comments

• SimbastienSimbastien Posts: 111 Member
    If there's as many lots per world as there are in The Sims 3, then I'd be fine with it.
  • The Sims 3 having rabbit holes felt more practical. There was the open world, and always a great deal going on, and having Sims away in town using different buildings was good at times, and there was variety. Building skills, following up opportunities, raising needs, going on a date, there were lots of things to choose from. When I was playing with 6+ Sims, it sometimes helped to send one or two off to do those things when I wanted to focus on the others, or if things were hectic for whatever reason. Even with just one Sim, I liked looking around the area when they were using one of the rabbit holes for whatever reason, because it was fun to see what everyone else was up to in the open world in the meantime.

Career based rabbit holes have always been in the series and I've never complained too much about them as a result, but in 3 it was nice to actually see Sims go to the building they worked in, and there was the ambience and such, so it made things feel more varied. In 1 and 2, at least you get to see Sims coming home and leaving via carpools, busses or their cars and such. Sims vanishing into thin air in 4 just feels lazy, because it is. The vehicles in 1 might have been borderline static images, but at least Sims didn't just enter the ethereal void until aftey got into the car.

I think The Sims 3 ambitions had a good way of dealing with it. There wasn't a full, live doctor career, but it added live gameplay to what was otherwise a rabbit hole job, offering you opportunities to go out and interact with Sims by diagnosing or vaccinating them, and the chance for Sims whilst you were out and about to have bad turns your doctor could help with. There was an option to skip them with no penalty, but there were gains if you did them. It wasn't much, but it shook things up a bit.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    I have no problem with them.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • SantiagoWittSantiagoWitt Posts: 40 Member
    I avoid them as much as I can. I never play careers, only skills.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Career rabbit holes are fine with me. I prefer real stores like TS2, though.
  • nahnahtodeinahnahtodei Posts: 58 Member
    I don't mind them at all. I actually prefer them to the playable careers. My Sims' jobs are just supposed to generate money, I don't need to play through their work day every day. :)
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't mind them so much depending on the venue. I would like to see more open careers and even school but I wouldn't mind having a rabbithole venue to go to in the mean time. It beats just having our sims disappear in to the abyss when they leave the lot for work or school.

Edit: I would like for things like restaurants, supermarkets, etc. to be open venues though.
    Post edited by fruitsbasket101 on
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't mind rabbit holes for most things, but like grocery shopping, and clothes shopping, and libraries, I would rather have an actual lot.
  • PotsaePotsae Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't understand this argument either :)
    I don't mind rabbitholes, they're certainly needed when managing multiple sims even without open world. I especially don't mind them when it's something like theather or game match because I understand how challenging it would be to make them believable otherwise but I like to have them anyway. I don't have much fun with bullet lists open works, though a fully fleshed out career that makes sense with the world and has unique interactions that are not just "click on this machine, drink coffee" is welcomed. I like firefighters, designers and nannies for example.
    It may be intresting to entertain the idea of a game without rabbit holes. I guess sims would need to be really smart for it to be possible.
    Edit: Wanted to add how I want rabbit holes to be improved. Given that they're Sims 3 style I'd love if I could build/decorate their exterior. It was the only thing that ever bothered me.
    Post edited by Potsae on
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2020
    I am against rabbit holes because I feel that Maxis are adding them to the game instead of actually adding gameplay and content. I think that they could be used as an alternative if the player wants to send their sim off to a rabbit hole, like the way the active careers give you the option.

It has gone too far now, they add caves which are just rabbit holes where your sim is pretending to explore them instead of actually making caves that we can explore.

If you want to send off your sim to a rabbit hole while doing something else, fine, but they should not be used as a main gameplay feature for a game in 2020 which are making them billions, they are nothing more than your sim turning invisible and the game showing a text message.
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    I want to pick and choose when I want a rabbithole and when I don't. One thing that annoyed me about Generations (to the point that I no longer use Gen at all) was out of no where there would be a graduation or something similar and all of sudden my sims would vanish into a rabbithole and I just had to find something to do while they were doing their thing. I don't understand how that's fun for anyone.

But, sometimes I just want my sim to go to work and I don't have to be bothered with clicking on stuff until they come home. But, sometimes I want to click on stuff.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited September 2020
    I've always loved rabbitholes. Don't see why people have such an issue with them. I loved being able to send my sim to a rabbithole restaurant, spa or to watch a show in Sims 3. Sometimes it's nice to just send your sim somewhere and not have to deal with them for a while and then they come back happy or with their needs satisfied. I miss that from Sims 3. 100% prefer rabbitholes over fake buildings.
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    I think they're okay, haven't had any problems with any of them. :)
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I agree with you. I'd rather have a visual place to see my sims going than to see them disappearing in thin air across the street. And it could be even better if they "unlocked" the rabbit holes in game packs/stuff packs/etc. Imagine if in Sims 3 we got the Hospital and the rabbit holes in the worlds got swapped by playable lots?!
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    AthenaOnyx wrote: »
    I want to pick and choose when I want a rabbithole and when I don't. One thing that annoyed me about Generations (to the point that I no longer use Gen at all) was out of no where there would be a graduation or something similar and all of sudden my sims would vanish into a rabbithole and I just had to find something to do while they were doing their thing. I don't understand how that's fun for anyone.

But, sometimes I just want my sim to go to work and I don't have to be bothered with clicking on stuff until they come home. But, sometimes I want to click on stuff.

@AthenaOnyx realism... detail... I miss those things in Sims 4. Maybe they could've added the option for you to cancel the ceremony, I feel like nothing should be forced on us as well.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    KatNip wrote: »
    Honestly, ever since the Sims 4 came out, one argument against the Sims 3 that I’ve always seen is that it has... rabbitholes. This argument has never made sense to me. Every game has rabbitholes, but I’ve always preferred seeing my Sims actually got into a rabbithole and listening to the ambiance or pressing work hard and leaving them be over having them simply drive off of a lot or disappear. It’s always been more believable to me, and while playable careers are fun, some get a little repetitive after a while and I don’t mind seeing them disappear or entire into a building from time to time.

Are you for or against rabbitholes? if against; what would you do to change it or replace it? And for those who use it against the Sims 3 as an argument... why?

I agree with you. Rabbit holes are often needed.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    If your household has more than one or two sims in it then you definitely need rabbitholes. It's exhausting to have to manage more than one or two sims if all their careers or schools are active. I like that the devs added stuff to TS3 during its run to make all the stores and restaurants active. I'll put up tutorials on how to do all that when I come back home to the States and get a new gaming laptop!

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Depends on the rabbit hole. It it's something a player would have no interest in seeing/doing, fine. I got upset over several of the TS3 ones as they were places where in TS2 that they were playable locations - such as stores & reataurants.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I actually don't mind rabbit holes, especially if we can have our Sims go into other venues such as restaurants and all. I use a mod Road to Fame which allows my Sim to have a singing career. There are two choices once the Sim had achieved the required points needed to perform at a concert. Live, in which you get to take your Sim to any venue that is setup for RTF, or they can be sent to an away concert, which is a rabbit hole. I interchange depending on the needs of my Sim or even my own needs. It's far easier to just send him on his way (which in my mind is like going on the road) although he's not gone for very long. It also allows me to focus on the Sims in the household left behind.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    Generations: You can stop your sims going to the graduation by cancelling the action, just cross it..They will get their diploma and other prizes earned put in their inventory. More than likely they will change to their graduation robes but you can change them back to normal clothes. I do it all the time because of the reason given by AthenaOnix, that is a time when I either see my sims graduate or if not, then it does not bother me for them not to attend. Same as going to the prom, not to a rabbithole, no point.
    The IF though, that's a problem if you don't want your child to have it. That doll drives me crazy. No matter what I do to get rid of it, just keeps coming back like a bad dream!
    If your household has more than one or two sims in it then you definitely need rabbitholes. It's exhausting to have to manage more than one or two sims if all their careers or schools are active. I like that the devs added stuff to TS3 during its run to make all the stores and restaurants active. I'll put up tutorials on how to do all that when I come back home to the States and get a new gaming laptop!

I hope you get home soon, not just for those tutorials ;) but because you are counting the days and I can feel you are really looking forward to get home. Happy Journey. <3
    Rabbit Holes, some are ok though I would like more flexibility on them, TS4 Cave in Sulani should not be a rabbit hole, The exploration of the mausoleum in the Sims 3 should not be a rabbit hole. And some others, for the School, I would like to be able to see the inside even if the sims were just there sitting at the desk with a teacher, I would also like the school kids and teens to know their teacher, this for the sims 3 too, it makes no sense that they know people they just said hello to, but not their teachers!
    School is one of the places they could give children and teens loads more to do, pranking it, getting caught doing something naughty, flirting being taken to the headmaster/mistress or principal. The pranks they do in the sims 3 have hardly any consequences, in the sims 4 they are non existent, they are all good kids with fakey problems.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited September 2020
    It depends on the lot type and hardware restrictions. I think in 2009, rabbit holes were necessary for an open world. I think lot functionality was limited, but the open world made up for it. I think modern computers will do better with open worlds and full featured lots together. I agree with others when people say it is ridiculous for sims to disappear at the edge of the lot the way they do in sims 4. They need cars.

I believe careers should always be in a rabbit hole. I never understood the fascination with active careers; I found that I end up doing more work than my sims do. I think things like "tour theater" and other filler activities (especially when associated with a career building) can be rabbit hole.

Grocery stores, restaurants, shops, hotels, tourist areas, and gyms should be full featured lots. I enjoyed this feature in sims 2.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Omaira wrote: »

I hope you get home soon, not just for those tutorials ;) but because you are counting the days and I can feel you are really looking forward to get home. Happy Journey. <3

Thanks so much! ❤🎊🥳🎉✈

• ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    As long as my stores restaurants bars and nightclubs are open I'm perfectly fine with rabbit holes for things like careers especially for base game. Now if they later on update careers in expansions with things like firefighters and police those lot types should open up and no longer be rabbit holes same goes for school or any other feature that can be made playable but for many things rabbit holes are great because at least your Sim is vanishing on a building in your world and not into nothing like it is now.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"