Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

But why?

MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
Not trying to be complainy here, I am genuinely confused.

Occult sims can't use their powers in Batuu. Ok, I thought, maybe it was too difficult to write the code for that.

But now modders have come along and made it possible for occult sims to use their powers on Batuu (I know Zero at least has a mod for spellcasters on Batuu) so EA must have been able to do it. And that begs the question: why didn't they?

One explanation would be that they didn't want occult sims completing missions more easily by teleporting into locked rooms or putting guards into a trance (e.g. as vampires can do).

But: (1) isn't the whole point of occult sims that they can do things more easily? That's why their powers mean something.

And (2) they could have made occults unable to use their powers on certain objects/sims. So, for example, occult sims would not be able to teleport into certain locked rooms though they could teleport elsewhere in Batuu.

So maybe it's a Disney problem? Maybe Disney didn't want the authenticity of Batuu ruined by the presence of vampires, spellcasters etc which do not exist in Star Wars canon?

Comments

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited September 2020
    It could be a combination of the two.
    Or maybe they are so concerned about Star Wars content crossing over into the other worlds that content is in lock-down both ways.
    This is certainly an odd pack.

Odd similar to how they don't want you to cook your own meals in Uni dorms.
    So maybe there are other game play issues that are created if we are allowed certain things.

I really don't like lodgings rabbit hole, so I built my own interactive lodgings beneath the Cantina.
    I really love it, but for some reason I cannot store the food my sims cook. The refrigerator won't take it, nor that little storage locker.
    So any extra food will spoil. I was able to add a fridge to my Uni dorms and store food however. At least I can have my sims cook Batuu meals.

I am determined to make the most of it and get creative as I can, but I feel like I am fighting EA to do it.
    I also put in a Listening Device station in my Sims accommodations. I thought it would be really fun to plant bugs on First Order officers and then black mail them later for credits. That would have been awesome.

Nope, can't do it.
    The bugs that I bought from the device even disappeared from my sim's inventory.
    There are others things that I have done that make this pack worthwhile, but I am limited more than I should be.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 613 Member
    :s This doesn't make any practical sense from the player's perspective. Maybe they shouldn't have made this specific pack because Disney wanted it incompatible with Sims and Sim lore, etc. Shouldn't the rules of the Sims universe override some extra pack ideals or ... they're not compatible?!!!

This is a sad mess and a clear mistake.

Ugh, I feel sorry for anyone who bought this pack right now. :s
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I'd have to go with the Disney authenticity.

@MaggieMarley thanks for the tip on the Spellcaster mod. Definitely going to grab that after completing the missions the old fashioned way. 😀

@CK213 going to try my hand at making some changes to the Cantina tonight.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    Or maybe they are so concerned about Star Wars content crossing over into the other worlds that content is in lock-down both ways.

So maybe there are other game play issues that are created if we are allowed certain things.

I really don't like lodgings rabbit hole, so I built my own interactive lodgings beneath the Cantina.
    I really love it, but for some reason I cannot store the food my sims cook. The refrigerator won't take it, nor that little storage locker.
    So any extra food will spoil. I was able to add a fridge to my Uni dorms and store food however. At least I can have my sims cook Batuu meals.

I am determined to make the most of it and get creative as I can, but I feel like I am fighting EA to do it.
    I also put in a Listening Device station in my Sims accommodations. I thought it would be really fun to plant bugs on First Order officers and then black mail them later for credits. That would have been awesome.

Nope, can't do it.
    The bugs that I bought from the device even disappeared from my sim's inventory.
    There are others things that I have done that make this pack worthwhile, but I am limited more than I should be.

The cooking thing in uni isn't odd, it's based off the American University experience. Most dorms do not have an oven, just a microwave.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited September 2020

Nope, can't do it.

The cooking thing in uni isn't odd, it's based off the American University experience. Most dorms do not have an oven, just a microwave.

It's odd for The Sims, where you have the freedom to create what you want.
    If I want to create an American University experience I would do that.
    If I want a full kitchen, I should be able to do that too.

Stuff like that can even limit you further.
    I wanted to have a hidden room in my dorm where my sims can work on potions while in Uni.
    But since the cauldron is used also for cooking, it is considered a stove and it is not allowed. :s
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

Nope, can't do it.

But they sometimes have kitchenettes in common areas. (My daughter's dorm did.) And the campus houses should have working kitchenettes too. So even from an American point of view, it's a little restrictive.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    The answer is Disney. And EA.
    As in Star Wars is a protected Mouse(tm) property. EA is only allowed to do exactly what Disney allows them to do. One millimeter wrong, they might lose the license.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member

@MaggieMarley thanks for the tip on the Spellcaster mod. Definitely going to grab that after completing the missions the old fashioned way. 😀

@simgirl1010 no worries I'm going to use that mod to have some fun with a spellcaster in Batuu myself :) thinking I might try turning some storm troopers into objects or setting them on fire...
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

Nope, can't do it.

It's odd for The Sims, where you have the freedom to create what you want.
    If I want to create an American University experience I would do that.
    If I want a full kitchen, I should be able to do that too.

Stuff like that can even limit you further.
    I wanted to have a hidden room in my dorm where my sims can work on potions while in Uni.
    But since the cauldron is used also for cooking, it is considered a stove and it is not allowed. :s

The easiest solution would be that doing the enable free build cheat allows you to add a stove. Let people do the cheat if they want in.

While I prefer having no stoves in dorms, I think it's weird not to have a stove in a sorority house, or student housing.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png