Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

You are not listening

Comments

• babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I just made my peace with the failures of Sims 4. I’ve been disappointed enough, and the Star Wars pack proves to me that they aren’t planning to stay true to the life simulation genre. It just adds more motivation for their competitors to release a life simulation game. The people who are working on new life sim games know it can be done better.
    So at this point, I’m looking forward to seeing Maxis fail even more epically. It just secures the future of another developer who actually does care about making a good game.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    i fully agree with your statement and with many replies here.
    i can't believe how did this franchise downgrade so much. though, this is not exclusive from ea, many things i loved as a kid are getting the worst reboots ever, with braindead plot, dumb humor and silly looking characters. it's like a trend.
    but going back to the sims, it really upsets me how expensive the whole game is, how glorified it is by its own creators and how ea started marketing the game as "representation & safe space" to derail the bad attention the game is getting to get media's approval.
    i don't like to blame the devs for the game decisions but seeing the whole panorama there's no one else to blame, they are ruining the franchise and it's unfair because it's not theirs. if they wanted to experiment with their own ideas they should've gone with another title, see if it could have been successful, but they are just profiting the sims brand to get sales. the sims 4 should've ended a long time ago, especially knowing how flawed is the coding, but of course they gonna milk it till the end even with content no one asked for, because many players will buy anything about ea and defend anything about ea no matter what.
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    Some of us wanted a good eco pack, but they messed up the #1 feature (and more). Even if they fix the decay and more, it might not become the pack I want or what they promised. Affecting the world (and sub-hoods) might still not work well, mod or no mod. That's a bummer. Then the voting feature had potential, but they went for childish and silly, so instead of a feature, it's a liability. I'll continue to like the theory behind N.A.P.s but I'll never like the fluffy execution even if they fix all the bugs (I'd prefer to change all the N.A.P.s to realistic, MEANINGFUL initiatives).

So the pack still offers alternative energy, better off the grid, featurettes, and some other features I didn't really want or need. Raising bugs, a fake meat wall that I can take or leave. One N.A.P. that could have been OK requires BUGS, ew, no thanks (except for Mortimer Goth, I'd put up with bugs for him). That's definitely not worth risking the bugs, coughing up even the sale price, and dealing with base game annoyances. Nah, I lost interest now in *this* resulting pack (maybe a waste of the theme).

So much wasted potential! *sigh* I wanted the pack but never mind. :'(

The worst part, for me, is that now it seems simmers hate the concept and not just this particular execution. That's so loudly out there. :s I'd love a GOOD environment pack for Sims 5 (clean up or mess up the world, open and rich). :|
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    I agree. Even the Gurus don't seem to be listening to us...we keep complaining about stuff,but it seems like EA and the Gurus are covering heir ears and saying "We're going to keep a glitchy,buggy,shallow game that's on a dying game engine going on for many more years!"

I think both EA and the Gurus need to stop pretending everything's okay and they need to stop turning out packs that are only adding to the problem of a dying game engine.They either need to take time to overhaul the game engine or they need to pull the plug on Sims 4 and work on giving us Sims 5.

As for me,I'm waiting to see what Paralives and the people at Paradox games will come up with. If they come up with much better games than Sims 4,I'll be sure to buy those games.

I just read that interview again from PCGames talking to Rod Humble, at Paradox Tectonics and I am now getting excited for it because the interviewer asked:
    When might we hear more?

I’ve been told to officially say ‘soon’. It’s not going to be years down the road, so: soon.
    https://pcgamesn.com/paradox-tectonic-new-game-rod-humble

After reading this, I am actually, for the first time in a while, looking forward to seeing what they will come up with - thanks for sharing this!!:

“Our aim with Paradox Tectonic is to create open, fun, beautiful games which respect the players’ intelligence and enables their creativity, freedom, emotion, and sharing,” said Rod Humble, Studio Head at Paradox Tectonic. “Our studio structure is using best practices for modern development: a flat organization in a low-friction environment with a team of highly experienced domain experts. It’s a privilege to be reunited with so many world-class colleagues from so many triple-A projects, and the team and I are delighted to join Paradox and be part of driving the company’s next cycle of growth. Our shared values of quality and putting the customer first made Paradox the perfect fit for us.”
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    edited September 2020
    "You are not listening" to the studio.
    They already told thousand times the TODO list is full. The development is also difficult and very long.

If it was easy, Paralives and Rod Humble's game would already be released.

The Sims Studio is listening, I requested for :
    • Star Wars
    • Pollution
    • Neighborhood Action Plan
    • Moschino
    • Better photography gameplay
    • Local culture

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    "You are not listening" to the studio.
    They already told thousand times the TODO list is full. The development is also difficult and very long.

If it was easy, Paralives and Rod Humble's game would already be released.

The Sims Studio is listening, I requested for :
    • Star Wars
    • Pollution
    • Neighborhood Action Plan
    • Moschino
    • Better photography gameplay
    • Local culture

I think the OP meant they aren't listening to the general public not specific people.
    Also development is difficult but they have the money and the staff to do it. (and if they don't it's their fault, they should have it)
    Certain features have been heavily requested for over 6 years now but still nothing.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Adz89 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the sims peaked at sims 3 and no stuff pack, game pack or expansion pack has reached the potential the sims 3 had....actually contemplating uninstalling sims 4 and going back to playing sims 3

IMHO it was Sims 2, but... just look at videos on youtube; the details on animations in Sims 2 are just mind boggling even compared to Sims 3.

As a diehard TS2 fan, I agree. But dang, when you've played TS4, even for a bit, you come to realize that The Sims 3 actually had its own fair share of details and quirks. If The Sims 3 had the stability of 4, I'd probably say it'd be hands down the best.

I WANT:
    Sims 4 graphics (I DO absolutely adore the slightly deliberately cartoony style), Sims 3's open world and SIms 2's commitment to detail.

And TS2 RELATIONSHIPS, CONSEQUENCES, and PERSONALITIES.
    edited September 2020
    Also development is difficult but they have the money and the staff to do it. (and if they don't it's their fault, they should have it) .

If the development was an easy task you would develop your own game a long time ago.
    Money and staff never made the development easier . More people = more mistakes

I think the OP meant they aren't listening to the general public not specific people.

I doubt these players spent $4000 in The Sims franchise.

As Lyndsay told these features are under development but you aren't listening.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    I'm not going to complain nor defend, but I do have a serious question:

Couldn't Maxis literally just copy modders' codes to fix glitches and emotions/whims systems? Why is it so hard to fix something that someone else has already figured out and put out to the world? The modders would be glad to take a fee that is more economic for the company in exchange for their hard work.
  • mcorralmcorral Posts: 512 Member
    edited September 2020
    I think the main problems of EA are two:
    • Lazyness
    • Greediness

Lazyness because we see modders release mods that change the game in ways EA says it is not possible. There is a modder who is developing an open world and making water in existing worlds swimmable. Others release mods to change the tratis of the lots, mods to change the type of special lots so we can have more lots to customize, mods to have more traits, mods to fix in certain aspects the emotion system, mods to put objects outside the lot... the list is endless. These changes are possible but it takes time and effort and EA just prefer to invest this time in making more swallow content. How is it possible that someone who hasn't developed the game and knows nothing about the code, with time and effort is breaking the code to make it possible and they who have the resources and knowledge haven't done anything yet?

The release of the last EP was the straw that broke the camel's back. I can't possibly understand how a company can release a game which main features do not work. We are not talking about some bugs, we are talking about MAIN FEATURES: the eco-footprint and NAPs are completely broken and it is not something that happens in some games, no, it happens on every single game. But the more shocking thing is some people is justifing that with: "oh, they will fix it, we have to be positive", "... I love the pack...", "I love the objects...". I can't understand that we paid 40€ for a game which main features do not work and people is fine with it. Again modders have released some workarounds until there is a patch that fixes all that mess. What have done EA to ease these bugs until a final patch is out? Nothing. Oh, sorry, yes, they released Batuu.

Let's compare this issue in real life with a TV. I got to shop and buy a TV. When I get home I realize that it's not working as it should be. I go back to the shop and tell the man about the TV and he just says that he's working on it but it takes time. He tells me about a new speakers set that has arrived and will improve the sound of my TV. I buy the speakers. When I get home the speakers set is not working right, so I go back to the shop and tell the man. He says he's working on it, but it will take time. After several months I test the TV and speakers and now I can use them, but new problems arise with the two of them. I go to the shop and tell the man about the new problems. The man tells me that he's working on it but it takes time. He also tells me about a new reception system that will improve the TV with more channels. I would be #@!/$ if I buy that. That is how I feel about this game.

Bugs are inevitable in a game, but the huge amount of bugs of The Sims is not acceptable. Not only that, with luck some of them will be fixed months later and some others won't be fixed ever. Do you remember how EA left The Sims 3? The game was left almost unplayable, but modders fixed many of the bugs and I can still play it thanks to them, not because EA fixed those bugs. In this iteration there are bugs several years old and they haven't fixed them yet. But people is fine with it and keep buying more and more packs. Really, I can't understand it, but I should be positive otherwise I'm a negative person and it seems that the problem is me, not theirs.

I think my time with this game is over. I don't like this game anymore and of course I WILL NOT spend more money on it. Mom and dad are not buying these packs for me. I work and pay my games and I know money is hard to get, so I will not invest more money in something that doesn't work. I'll play TS3 or play some other games, but personally I will not give them my money because they are repeating the same mistakes over and over and over and over again and I don't want to be part of it anymore.

Enjoy your game.
    Post edited by mcorral on
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I'm not going to complain nor defend, but I do have a serious question:

Couldn't Maxis literally just copy modders' codes to fix glitches and emotions/whims systems? Why is it so hard to fix something that someone else has already figured out and put out to the world? The modders would be glad to take a fee that is more economic for the company in exchange for their hard work.

EA doesn't even want to pay that fee to the modders. They figure that if they wait long enough, some modder will do for completely FREE whatever they are too cheap to implement themselves.

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Also development is difficult but they have the money and the staff to do it. (and if they don't it's their fault, they should have it) .

If the development was an easy task you would develop your own game a long time ago.

@LeGardePourpre 6 years under development? haha it's funny you actually believe this.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member

do you actually believe what you write or you're just baiting?
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

@LeGardePourpre 6 years under development? haha it's funny you actually believe this.

Again, I absolutely buy that some things are hard to implement for the developers. BUT, again, they deliberately chose to use an engine where basic functionalities of SIms is hard to do. It is STILL their fault because they picked this engine. Combine this with a misdirected sense of priorities...

Let's start from the beginning:

Babies as objects: Cost cutting convenience not connected to Engine choice most likely.

Toddlers: Same.

Pools? Actually not about pools at all but the fact that the engine could not handle the creation of basements. You could not build under ground level. So a direct consequence was lack of pools. This was a direct consequence of picking an engine unsuited for a Sims-like game.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    mcorral wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Interactions are way to childish or femenine.

Can you give an example of an interaction you feel is too feminine?

If you play a male, and female say or do something romantic, the male poses.... ugggrrrr. He moved his leg and waved with his hand while his head went on one side... uggg (sorry, I'm not an English speaker...) it's a mixture of a toddler or a woman. My male was a rough, brave and confident guy and that was not right. It broke my immersion.

This is why I hate the flirty emotion and don't use much romance 😂😆😆😆 it hurts my eyes when the boys do that.
    No offense to anyone who does those things in real life.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    edited September 2020

You mean 36 packs and a ton of game updates were nothing ???
    It's more than 20 packs for TS3 and 17 packs for TS2 in 5 years.

Imagine your boss telling you that you haven't done anything for the past 6 years.

Sometimes people forget the value of hard work.
    edited September 2020
    Personally when I'm not satisfied by the work of somebody, I do it by myself.
    Sure I'm not a pro but at least I'm satisfied by the result and I'm learning new skills.

Anyone can learn programming.

If you think you can do a better game than The Sims Studio I encourage you to do it now, a lot of people will support your project.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Sure I'm not a pro but at least I'm satisfied by the result and I'm learning new skills.

If you think you can do better than The Sims Studio, I encourage to do it now, a lot of people will support your project.

This is one of the most unhelpful forms of advice.

Just because you find some enjoyment in programming and has a talent for it doesn't mean it's sound advice.

It's like a composer saying you should learn how to compose your own opera if you don't like his works.

Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    edited September 2020

If you think you can do better than The Sims Studio, I encourage to do it now, a lot of people will support your project.

This is one of the most unhelpful forms of advice.

Just because you find some enjoyment in programming and has a talent for it doesn't mean it's sound advice.

It's like a composer saying you should learn how to compose your own opera if you don't like his works.

Don't underestimate the talent of the players, just look at the mods and CC.

If the community of players could develop their own free open source life simulation, it would probably be an amazing game.
    edited September 2020

You mean 36 packs and a ton of game updates were nothing ???
    It's more than 20 packs for TS3 and 17 packs for TS2 in 5 years.

Imagine your boss telling you that you haven't done anything for the past 6 years.

It doesn't matter how many packs they release if the base game is not right. This game lacks many, many things that we had in previous games. Groceries, graveyards, cars, CAW, wheel colour, babies, depth, consistent personalities, customization, humor, romance, difficulty... I really don't need 50 more chairs or 150 more mirrors. What I need is daily activities, something to do, hobbies, sports, challenge...

Of course they are busy and they've done things, sure, but things of very poor quality for the money we spend on the game. I don't complain because they release a pack that I don't like. Of course there will be packs that I won't buy because it is not my playstyle, but others will like them, and it's fine with me. I really don't like to spend lots of money in a game full of bugs, some of them will be left unfixed and with very poor programming and much worse testing.

Sims can go hicking in Granite Falls but not in the rest of the worlds. Of course they can, with a mod. Devs discovered how to make oceans swimmable and released Sulani, but you can't swim in Brindleton Bay or in Windenburg's island. Of course they can, Arnie is making that possible. They said cars are not possible in this game. Of course it's possible, because you can leave Batuu in a spacecraft. What? They have time to let us name a cowplant just because a youtuber asked for that but the popcorn machine is broken since ages in many games and sims complain about bad smell even when it's clean. They released a pack that allowed us to create a Cinema (no Cinema lot type) and sims stands in the middle of the movie so it is useless to have a Cinema, sims seems to just don't care. It's very clear that their priorities are not right. I spent 10€ in a movie pack that doesn't work right but a youtuber can name a cowplant just for free. Really?

If you think you can do a better game than The Sims Studio I encourage you to do it now, a lot of people will support your project.

I paid them to do the job. The job is not done right, it's bugged. I can't tell to my clients: "ey, don't you like my job? Then do it yourself and learn something new". Lol.
    edited September 2020
    @mcorral wrote: »
    I paid them to do the job. The job is not done right, it's bugged. I can't tell to my clients: "ey, don't you like my job? Then do it yourself and learn something new". Lol.

For example

You hire a maid to do housework but she doesn't do the job. Do you paid the service until the job is done ?

I prefer to do it by myself instead of paying somebody else who won't do it.
    edited September 2020
    It doesn't matter how many packs they release if the base game is not right. This game lacks many, many things that we had in previous games.

Money, time and energy were spent even if you aren't satisfied by the result.
    @mcorral wrote: »

For example

You hire a maid to do housework but she doesn't do the job. Do you paid the service until the job is done ?

I prefer to do it by myself instead of paying somebody else who won't do it.

Taking that example... If the maid is not doing the job right, she will be fired. What I will not do is "being positive" and continue paying for a bad service. I think that is what we are doing with The Sims: "keep paying for a poor quality and bugged game". Sorry, but no. If I keep paying that maid, he/she will think: "I can do a bad job and be paid anyway, so goooood".
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited September 2020
    I agree. Even the Gurus don't seem to be listening to us...we keep complaining about stuff,but it seems like EA and the Gurus are covering heir ears and saying "We're going to keep a glitchy,buggy,shallow game that's on a dying game engine going on for many more years!"

I think both EA and the Gurus need to stop pretending everything's okay and they need to stop turning out packs that are only adding to the problem of a dying game engine.They either need to take time to overhaul the game engine or they need to pull the plug on Sims 4 and work on giving us Sims 5.

As for me,I'm waiting to see what Paralives and the people at Paradox games will come up with. If they come up with much better games than Sims 4,I'll be sure to buy those games.

I just read that interview again from PCGames talking to Rod Humble, at Paradox Tectonics and I am now getting excited for it because the interviewer asked:
    When might we hear more?

I’ve been told to officially say ‘soon’. It’s not going to be years down the road, so: soon.
    https://pcgamesn.com/paradox-tectonic-new-game-rod-humble

After reading this, I am actually, for the first time in a while, looking forward to seeing what they will come up with - thanks for sharing this!!:

“Our aim with Paradox Tectonic is to create open, fun, beautiful games which respect the players’ intelligence and enables their creativity, freedom, emotion, and sharing,” said Rod Humble, Studio Head at Paradox Tectonic. “Our studio structure is using best practices for modern development: a flat organization in a low-friction environment with a team of highly experienced domain experts. It’s a privilege to be reunited with so many world-class colleagues from so many triple-A projects, and the team and I are delighted to join Paradox and be part of driving the company’s next cycle of growth. Our shared values of quality and putting the customer first made Paradox the perfect fit for us.”

Everybody hated Rod Humble when the Sims 3 came out. It came out very glitchy and he was in charge then. I expect it'll be the same when he brings out his new game, whatever it is.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/317148/rod-humble-leaves-the-sims-franchise

That is an archive thread so don't add to it. It comes from 2010!
    edited September 2020
    It doesn't matter how many packs they release if the base game is not right. This game lacks many, many things that we had in previous games.

"Hard work" sometimes does not mean "good work".

I'm sorry but I'll leave this conversation because I already said what I had to say and I will not post anything else.

I'm glad you enjoy this game. Really. Lucky you! Enjoy!