Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best Nintendo Switch games

For my birthday (October) I’m getting a Nintendo switch- problem is- I can’t decide which game(s) to get. If anyone has a Nintendo switch please tell me your favourite game. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I also got a Switch recently. So far, I have Animal Crossing New Horizons, Pokemon Shield, and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I haven't played BOTW much yet, but I heard it was good.

Animal Crossing is pretty fun and slow-paced. It's like a life sim, but you build everything from scratch by earning money, and the activities you can do are pretty simple.

Pokemon Shield is my first Pokemon game since Red, so I don't know how it compares to previous games. It is a lot of fun though, so if you're into Pokemon or RPGs, you can get Sword or Shield (or both.) For the first few days, I couldn't stop playing. I actually had to stop for a bit because it was making it hard for me to focus on work, lol
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    I've had my switch since they came out. I don't have too many games but Animal Crossing and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild are the two I play the most. BOTW has a huge world with large and small quests, lots of stuff to collect and lots of monsters. Animal Crossing is a slow paced game with collecting, building and socializing with both the villagers on your island and other players. There is a thread here in Off Topic where there are players talking about ACNH. It's a good place to get more info on ACNH and they are a friendly bunch.
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    Animal Crossing for sure! Good Job and Untitled Goose Game are hilarious little Indie games on the eShop. If you don't already have these on PC or another console, the Spyro and Crash remake trillogies and Crash Team Racing are great, as is Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee!
    My best friend and baby brother love Breath of the Wild, and we all like Mario Kart as well. Pikmin 3 DX is coming soon, which the community is excited for, myself included (my first pikmin game!), and Mario Maker 2 is good as well, according to my little brother.
  • Thank you!!! It’s good to have suggestions
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    Animal Crossing! I also subscribed to Nintendo online so I can access their super nintendo games. It's been fun playing Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past again after 30 years or so. I want to get Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild too.
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    Breath of the Wild is a must-have for any Switch owner. It's probably the best current open world game and is in a lot people's top 10 of best games released in the last decade.

I like having Mario Kart because often I won't know what I feel like playing, and as I'm trying to decide, I can play a race or two of Mario Kart. Or if I just want to play something for a few minutes non-committally, it's always reliable for some good fun.

When you do get your Switch, take advantage of some of the free downloadable demos to try out games you might want in the future. There are some pretty good games with free demos like Yoshi's Crafted World or Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker if you like Mario games, or Dragon Quest XI or Trials of Mana if like JRPGs. I've read that it takes 10 hours to reach the end of the Dragon Quest XI demo, which is a ton of gameplay for free, and your progress transfers over if you end up buying it.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    I have Pokémon Shield as well. I’m a big fan of Pokémon so I do recommend.

Animal Crossing New Horizons is great.

I also enjoy Skyrim and Civilization VI. Those four are probably my most played games.

LA Noire, The Witcher III, and the Assassin’s Creed games are fun too although I haven’t played as much with those as the first four games I mentioned.

Even tho I don’t have Mario Kart yet, I’ve played it in the past, and I recommend that anyways because it’s just a really fun game.

I’m also very much into checking the Nintendo shop for sales frequently. So I definitely recommend doing that. Also check out the smaller games, there are some hidden gems for less than $20.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited September 2020
    Animal crossing and Pokemon sword/sheild are my most played. Like I have like 400 hours on one and 350 on the other if that says anything lol.

If you aren't opposed to using the estore Summer in Mara is so good. It's just only digital at least at this time.

Zelda Breath of the Wild is good, honestly I'm not as big of fan as some and it's not my favourite Zelda game. That said it's a really good game that is pretty universally loved... it not being my *favourite* zelda game is far from a diss because the bar is insanely high.

Also I haven't played it myself because I just can't justify the 80 dollars right now but one of my favourite Zelda games, Link's Awakening was remade for the switch. So I can't specifically vouch for the switch version but it looks cute and if it's true to the original I'm sure it's great. I do like *really* want it. I've played and beat the original a few times so this modernized edition sounds amazing.

Oh and Super Mario Odyssey. My favourite Mario since N64.

And the Mariokart for switch is pretty good too. Though I find it best online and don't know that I'd get the same out of it without being able to play online which does mean paying for the online subscription.

As somebody else mentioned there's lots of demos you can download from the eshop too so it's totally worth checking that out when you do get your switch. A lot of the main titles like Zelda and Mario don't have demos but I have found some cool games that way too. Right now I'm waiting for Avicii Invector to actually release because the demo was a blast. So definitely some gems in the demos and the less mainstream titles.
    Post edited by dreamerz13 on
  • Can someone explain what you do in legend of Zelda please?
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Can someone explain what you do in legend of Zelda please?

It's an RPG. You fight enemies, collect equipment and supplies to help you win, level up, and proceed through the story. I haven't gotten past the first 10 minutes yet so I don't know much
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Can someone explain what you do in legend of Zelda please?

Depends a bit which one you play. Normally it's kind of an adventure/rpg game. You travel around and clear dungeons and beat enemies to level up with the ultimate goal being to defeat Ganon and save Hyrule. They often have some small and major quests along the way. Mostly the games are a somewhat linear progression though a few of them have a bit of open world. BOTW is very open and free in how you want to play it. Dungeons have been replaced shrines which you mostly don't have to do (I think you might have to do the first couple... but it's been a while since I was at that point) but there's way more of them than dungeons in previous games and some of them have no monsters and are just puzzles, some of them are more combat focused. They do help increase your strength. Ideally you kinda wanna follow along the main quests but apparently you can if you wish just dive right into the final battle... but it won't likely go well, at all. So it's very open and free but still plays into the overall theme of Zelda.

Also I may have to change my tune about the BOTW. I've actually spent some decent time with it the last few days and it's really growing on me. It's working it's way into my fav Zelda games.
  • Thanks for explaining, sounds fun!
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    Mario kart
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm so jealous!!!! :D well, obviously there's Animal Crossing, Zelda BoTW and Link's Awakening. I'd also definitely want Stardew Valley on my switch if I had one, as well as A Short Hike, Ori & the Blind Forest (seriously <3 this game, I'd buy this twice :D), Terraria, Gris, Night in the Woods, and Spiritfarer.

Yes most of these exist on PC too but they're just all great games or games I have my own wishlist atm 🥰
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    edited September 2020
    Fortnite (although I am assuming you don't want to play it even though they provide updates more often than sims produces packs and it is addictive)

Edit the last update was 10GB and it added superheroes
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    edited September 2020
    I only have two games so far, Animal Crossing, which I recommend, and Breath of the Wild, which I don't.

Enjoy your new Switch!
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 814 Member
    I play Pokemon Sword a lot, but I'm taking a little break at the moment to catch up on the other games I have: Mystery Dungeon DX, Let's Go! Eevee, Pokemon Shield and Layton's Mystery Journey DX. That's all I own, though I may buy some more games in the future.
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • MousellineMouselline Posts: 4,845 Member
    BOTW and Fire Emblem: Three Houses are my absolute favorites. I love them. If you have younger siblings who are going to want to play it, I suggest Smash Bros or Mario Kart to keep them amused. Animal Crossing and Pokemon Shield are fun also. My older brother loves Mario Tennis Aces. I’ve also played Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Arms, and maybe another 1 or 2 but I never got into them