Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What if - It was just a generic SciFi Pack instead?

Now hear me out. What if instead of being so specific and Star Wars ™ themed and just a SciFi/Space/Alien pack with traits and a new occult with skills... Would it have been less polarizing?

What if - It was just a generic SciFi Pack instead? 134 votes

Yes - Let me tell my stories!
70%
GoldmoldaricmnfrshGalacticGaljeepjeepcatsketchesstoryyMartinvColorist40ZhakiraPMLadyAzzeraEvilWitch83Isb917SimburianDavidrayasimbsimFeroshaCoutoraStrangerthanSageRainWillowXBanana00CreamXIObelle 94 votes
No - Star Wars ™
2%
MeteoraStormChampandGirlieSindocattmcevoy1121 4 votes
Other
26%
crocobauraCK213IceyJBlkBarbiegalBluebeard45sam123elemmeleCynnaBeardedgeeksimgirl1010Flexono1FelicityAPottsCAPTAIN_NXR7OnverserGitaHermitgirlOldeseadoggeStutumLiELF 36 votes

Comments

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Other
    Depends what was in it. I probably say either is just as good as the other to me. I have no interest in aliens/space/occults but I love this pack for the sci-fi cas/build stuff. It doesn't make any difference whatsoever if it's star wars or generic to me, both would be just as good as the other.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Yes, I think so. I've seen a lot of people say that they would have liked it if it had been just generic sci fi. And people have been asking for a space pack/alien improvements for a while.

Personally I was excited about JTB because it was sci fi rather than because it was Star Wars although inthe end it didn't quite live up to my expectations.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Other
    I would have liked to see the Sims team expand upon the existing universe. The aliens from Sixam need love, as do Mermaids, and Plant Sims. I had hoped that if EA/Maxis were going to do a sci-fi pack, they would have put the focus on the aliens of Sixam.

Although I'm not really an occult player, an alternative idea that I came up with was that there could have been a rival civilization to Sixam's. I believe that a homeworld for The Mother and the Cow Plant would have interesting. In my mind, that could have also served as the homeworld of the Plant Sims. Therefore, providing Plant Sims with a much-needed upgrade and permanent status in the current series, rather than keeping them as temporary life states.

Just imagine, the Plant Sims of that far off world could have sent Cow Plants to Sim Nation as spies and information gatherers. Afterward, The Mother might have been the next wave of integration into Sim society or the first step in an invasion. Once the plant Sims believed that Sim Nation had been sufficiently softened or made open to the idea of intelligent plant life, they could have made their true presence known.

Anyway, that's the kind of addition that I wish that the team had considered rather than introducing something truly alien to the Sim Universe. ::shrug::
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Other
    Okay, I'm not into generic Sci-Fi. I have my fandoms (Star Wars and Firefly most prominently, with a side of Star Trek and Babylon 5) and I don't mind Sci-Fi, but it's not a genre I enjoy by default. I don't hate it, it's just ... not my thing.

I also almost never play with Aliens. It's not even that they don't offer as much gameplay as Vampires and even Spellcasters, but rather that aliens... aren't my thing, again.

So I wouldn't have been excited about a generic Sci-Fi pack. I would probably still be defending it if it required Get to Work and expanded on Sixam (I realize I'm more or less alone with accepting DLC for DLC as a not inherently bad thing if done well.) But I wouldn't be excited for it. I wouldn't be counting down the days until I can get it.*

I also don't think it would have appeased the people who were upset it wasn't a romance pack, or a winter vacation pack, or that it didn't include freeing the babies or cars, or address the legitimate issues with the base game. They would have been just as upset that we got this rather than whatever specific issue they wanted addressed. They would have been just as dissappointed, just as upset that it wasn't whatever they'd convinced themselves the pack was, and just as angry at the existence of the pack. the only argument they wouldn't have is that it's clearly an advertisement for Galaxy's Edge, and therefore dictated by Disney.

The only people who would have been appeased by a generic Star Wars pack would be those who don't want licensed stuff in their Sims game, but do want something Sci-Fi. Or those who don't like Star Wars.

(I'm aware of the limitations of the gameplay in this pack, I don't care. That's not why I'm getting it. I'm also more than capable of telling my own stories in the Star Wars universe. I've been playing Table Top Role Playing games - where you decide what your role is, and don't have to move according to any sort of game script - for a very long time, including in the Star Wars universe. My stories are not limited by universe.)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    We had a great EP for Sims 3 (made right here in downtown Salt Lake City, if I may add) called Into the Future. It was just what I needed. I have recreated the bridge crew from the original Star Trek series (1966-1969). Having the futuristic food-processing stoves/ovens or whatever they were supposed to be was a great way to upgrade a kitchen into the 23rd century. It was immersive for the game I was playing. I like the whole sandbox notion in this game. Let me play out and tell the stories that I wish to tell. If I wanted to play where the game guides me into a certain scenario (think Strangerville) I would play some other video game.

I tried to play a Star Trek game not that long ago, but sadly, the player was never really able to gain access to the inside of the ship. What good is that? I'm not even close to interested in a shoot 'em up type blood and guts game. I don't like horror flicks, either. I played WoW for a very short time, but mostly because my children were scattered all over the country. SC; CA and HI. It was very hard for our family Guild to get together to play with HI being four hours behind CA, let alone UT and SC. But, we had fun nonetheless.

I don't play that anymore. I don't like having to pay a monthly fee for complete strangers to murder my Gnome for grins and giggles.

But, back to the point at hand. Yes, had this latest GP been more generic in nature, I would likely have snatched it up in a heartbeat. I LOVED ITF. I'm still playing that family, too. Yeah, I brought them all the way from Sims2 to Sims4.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Other
    I enjoy JtB for what it is and for what I personally can do with it. I even asked for Star Wars content in a survey. Despite some limitations, overall I'm very happy with it!

That being said, I fully agree that a generic Sci-Fi pack would have done a lot more for the game itself and the player base.
    In fact, I would have loved to sit down with the team and have a chat about expanding the Sixam lore. Thank you @Cynna for your ideas. That kind of stuff is exactly what I'm talking about.

I would still hope to see a non brand related Sci-Fi expansion, although depending on TS4's remaining development schedule I'm not sure if this is at all feasible after the SW DLC.
    If Maxis is truly listening to what the majority of players want and are indeed planning to create content based on these requests, another Sci-Fi pack is probably somewhere near the bottom of the priority list.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Yeah, i love sci fi but im not really into star wars. Also a more generic theme would allow for a better sandbox experience.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    edited September 2020
    Yes I would have been more open to it, I still would be waiting bc I cant play my EL, have to have it disabled, bc too many bugs and waiting on fixes, but otherwise I know I would have loved that more.

Just wanted to add that I am not even a Sci-fi type fan, but I was probably more upset that I had hoped it was going to add to aliens already in game so it would help encourage me to step out of my mainly Vampire comfort zone and play them more. I just hope in the future maybe they can add something to them to give them more to them.
    Post edited by smurfy77 on
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Other
    If the gameplay were something other than fetch quests over and over, I think people who initially were put off by Star Wars would warm up to it. Really, I've noticed in just about any game, if the gameplay itself is fun and engaging, the theme is less important.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Other
    Mine is going to be other because I'm really enjoying the pack. Would it have been less polarizing... yes maybe but there would still be hollering about it not being family play, generations or insert whatever someone else needs right now in their game.

I also wouldn't have wanted a new occult with skills as the OP suggested. What I was hoping for was a revamping of our current aliens ... and some sort of addition to Sixam that would let us have our sims live there or make a colony there. I know though what I wanted was basically DLC for DLC and the likelihood of getting that was low without the same sort of uproar happening.

I was running my sim around the resistance area the other day and thought I could bring my Star Trek guys here. It kind of looks like a planet to spark off some sort of cross over play. I like the build buy and I really love the CAS and am already thinking of many ways to use it outside of the Batuu area. I'll be making some aliens with across the board costumes also so their "hats" don't come off when I return to my other sci-fi based saves also.
    egTcBMc.png
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Yes, sci fi would be better, it wouldn't have all the restrictions
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Other
    The short answer is yes, it would have been less polarizing. However, Game Packs are pretty much known for that already, so I find it forgivable. They are experimental and don't use up EP production space to take larger risks.

Would I have bought a general space pack that expanded on Aliens? Definitely. That's what I thought this was going to be.

Do I regret that it turned out to be Star Wars? Nope. Not even a little.
    #Team Occult
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Other
    Either or. I like sci-fi stuff in my game. In the sims 3 store it offered lots of futuristic dlc furniture and special objects. Loved it.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,409 Member
    No idea if it would have been less polarising but I would have preferred a more generic approach. That way the pack would have been more versatile and more people could use it for their own stories, and not just star wars stories. But it still wouldn't have been for everyone. Kind of like RoM, it has Harry Potter influences but it is not a Harry Potter game pack and I am happy about it. I can decide myself what kind of magic is in my game.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Other
    Other. Technically per your specific question about "less polarizing", the answer is probably yes. But I'm answering for me, and my answer is that no conceivable pack would interest me until the bug patching catches up to the current state of the game.
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Other
    I think people would hate it anyway. I may be wrong, but I get the impression that the hate isn't necessarily towards the GP itself, but all the issues that haven't been fixed yet, and then, boom, new GP, which I can sorta understand.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Other
    My opinion on the pack would be the same regardless of whether it's linked or not
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited September 2020
    They didn't have a choice did they? It might get some new younger players to play Sims for the first time though.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Other
    I don't really see Batuu as alien or space themed. For starters it looks too much like home, so to say. Sure, there are fighter jets and aliens, but I would have liked to see a little more space, even if it was just an animation through a window. I hope they expand the Sixam aliens and planet if they want to do aliens again.
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited September 2020
    Batuu was/is so limited to what you can really do in that world. Is this really what simmers like & are happy with now? I really don’t get why it’s became the new norm. Rabbit holes, everything being dressing , no real gameplay, missions becoming repetitive, not even able to play how you want especially with the world not being occult friendly. Sims 4 is a sandbox game & Batuu is not it. It could of been executed better by adding Jedi/sith force powers at least. Real space ship missions, the rush of getting caught by storm troopers & trying to shoot you, like a real Star Wars game. Batuu gp was just disappointing.

I think they should of just expanded our current aliens and sixam. We need more lore on sims universe, not star wars
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,571 Member
    Other
    I integrate whatever I am given. This set has been brilliant and added a lot to my game. If it had been a generic sci-fi setting - that's cool too.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Lots of great feedback! Thank you ☺️
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Other
    We had Aliens and Sixam both could be expanded but certain members of this community got upset with the Aliens thus no more Aliens. But yet we have stupid day walking vampires. It's a insult to the vampire nation.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited September 2020
    No - Star Wars ™
    I clicked the wrong button for this. Lol. I think I misunderstood the question.

I'm not interested in Star Wars or in alien play. I would be interested in more science and in building a science center.

I've skipped this pack and unlike EL that I got later, I don't have plans at this time because I'm not into Star Wars. I'm not for bashing the gurus or people who like that pack though. It's just not really a fit for my playstyle because I don't have the urge to play with real Star Wars characters. I do think there are people out there who would and they'd enjoy collecting this pack.

I don't judge how others play but that's really not my playstyle. I don't want to see "real" characters in my game. My sims live in their own fictitious world. I'm happy to let others roll with the Star Wars pack though and I do think there's an audience for it.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • DavidrayDavidray Posts: 91 Member
    Davidray wrote: »
    Davidray wrote: »
    I love the direction Sims 4 is headed- with the addition of Sims with greater depth of emotion- and, from all indication, additional active gameplay in "Get To Work'

The new aliens & alien world looks promising but I am really hoping a revisit/rethink/return of Lunar Lakes. Lunar Lakes' sci-fi world added a whole layer of fun to the "everyday life" simulation play. With content like the Sims 3 "Ultra Lounge", "Future Shock" and "Atomic Lounge", you could create a really fully realized Sci-Fi world that for me made for some really awesome gameplay!

It seems with the Astronaut career in the base game there is already acknowledgment of all kinds of planets our astronaut Sims are aware of. New worlds are all just a load-screen or teleporter/wormhole away. It also helps make sense of why Sims on other planets would have cellphones- and all those other anachronistic touches.

Quoting myself! But this is why I'm disappointed with the Star Wars pack... I've been looking forward to a Sims 4 Sci-Fi world from the very beginning!