Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This is actually insulting: A veteran simmers last straw.

At no point do I not take responsibility for my own choice to keep buying/playing the sims, as angry as I am at EA/The Sims, there is also some anger toward myself for refusing to look at the overall and call it quits because at this stage, upon this game pack release, I am ready to put down the game and walk away because...WHAT IS THIS?!

At first, I was indifferent with the whole star wars them, more aliens I thought, Outerspace, expansion on the occult (Are aliens occult?), new normals, new stories, new ways for my creations to live and breathe and spend their time...and then I got the new pack and everything just felt cheap.

This didn't even seem like a sell-out, it just looked cheap and quick and sad.

And I feel so horrible because people have worked on this but then as a customer, there is a right to review the product and we shouldn't feel bad about having an actual opinion on something whether good or bad as long as its real and not one of those Karen situations but the game pack...IS TERRIBLE! I say this despite going through the whole pet stuff pack because even that was better! It didn't try to be anything other than what it is, which was just cute furniture with dogs/cats/small things on it!

Maybe I'm overreacting but this has been going on for so, plumming long, from day 1, we've been given not even half-hearted content that has taken years to repair/alter/improve, it took two years for toddlers! longer for spiral/twisty stairs! Even now you can only go by blocks instead of a perfect circle. LADDERS! do not get me started on ladders.

There is just so much that only now am I looking back on and losing complete hope for, after years of optimism, I'm agreeing with those I persistently argued with because, in my mind, they were simply quick to throw their hands up and to those simmers, I'm sorry,
Now I get it, after MANY expansions/game packs/stuff packs/updates, let downs and disappointments, it feels time to throw up the white flag and walk because at this stage, the sims 4 is never going to improve to where it's enjoyable long term. NEVER.

We still don't have cars, proper skin tone refs, playable babies, small pets (Apart from the small hampster/beast thing), a larger occult base, accurate hairstyles, makeup, so much, the game lacks so much and inevitably, we're going to hit sims 5/6/7/42, so what's left to get invested in when presumably next year there'll be the trailer for the next sims? It's not long now, seeing as we've hit the six-year mark.

Personally, I've got my hopes on Paralives, even in the DEV stage there's been more open contact/updates on its creation and staff are incredibly open to suggestions for content, yes it's a different game and it's not a huge company and all but we should've had that sort of back and forth with EA, and we don't, even the Guru's are playing the quiet card and it's reached that point where it feels like you're talking to that friend in your group who pretends to listen and then discusses politics when all you've done is ask if that pug was brindle or light grey with spots.

There is a level of "We can't discuss this because of XYZ" and then there is "We've got no answers so here's a completely different/confusing/pointless excuse so you don't get mad even though this will just make you feel ignored even more"

To the Guru's/Staff, I apologize if anything seems rude or too critical/off point but it's just that time where I feel this needs to be said, despite countless others saying their own peace long ago.

To the community, I hope you take something from this and don't read the thread as some bitter vintage sims fan with an ax to grind because through my childhood sims was so utterly important, through the deaths of my parents, general life changes, and various accidents, one that rendered me with permanent nerve damage, Sims has been there and kept my mind busy while managing things and to see it go from ever-expanding to this is upsetting and angering and maybe I'm putting too much on a game about human-like creatures you kill by trapping in a pool and removing the ladder but I loved the sims and have such happy memories playing as a child; coming home to find a new expansion on the desk or my dad rebuilding the computer for the 8th time just to make sure I could play it even though he knew in a couple of months he'd be back changing some random part, because yet again, sims downed it. It's always been more than just a game, hence this post.

Gonna head off now since this is more a depressing ramble than a mild rant.

Have a nice day, everyone.

Keep simming

Comments

• SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    I feel the same way. Just sad to see a game/franchise I loved so much hit new lows. The game will forever feel empty and lacking. Even in the latest letter to the community, they basically write, We know you want babies, bunk beds & farming, but the next EP, definitely won't have any of that, but be nice to us and open your hearts ... and wallets anyway! The game is hopeless. I also can't wait for Paralives.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    LADDERS! do not get me started on ladders

I’d like to hear what you don’t like about the ladders we have now.
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

The animations, the almost clunky way a sim goes up and down, the fact they're literally only used as flat against the wall stairs or a useless way to get in/out of the pool or onto a diving board, it's just that cheap easy way of using them when a sims gen ago we had poles our sims could climb and ladders were more useful.

It's not so much I don't like them because far from it, use them with most of my builds, but it's that clunk factor, something seeming so easy to make/add in was left for YEARS on the back burner despite us having them already as a way to enjoy the pool or for toddlers to reach the top of their tiny slides.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited September 2020

I know this was not aimed at me and it technically could have changed since I last used them, but ladders broke my house flow. I know it is somewhat realistic to not be able to carry laundry and dishes up and down ladders, but it completely segregated the two floors of an off the grid build. I had to start dragging laundry outside from the second floor and dishes to whatever sink or trash can was closest. It is doable to pause and do this, but with how much laundry and dishes piled up with six Sims, it just was not fun.
    Calico45 wrote: »

I know this was not aimed at me and it technically could have changed since I last used them, but ladders broke my house flow. I know it is somewhat realistic to not be able to carry laundry and dishes up and down ladders, but it completely segregated the two floors of an off the grid build. I had to start dragging laundry outside from the second floor and dishes to whatever sink or trash can was closest. It is doable to pause and do this, but with how much laundry and dishes piled up with six Sims, it just was not fun.

Yea I did notice that Sims won’t take laundry or dirty dishes up/down ladders. It’s odd the team thought this was an acceptable sacrifice. I don’t remember if we could in prior games.

I think if we’re on the second floor and pick up laundry/dirty dishes, they could’ve made it so the items go automatically into your Sim’s inventory instead of them having to hold them. Then, once the Sim was on the first floor, they could reappear in their hands so they can do something with the items. That would’ve been my suggestion for them.

The animations, the almost clunky way a sim goes up and down, the fact they're literally only used as flat against the wall stairs or a useless way to get in/out of the pool or onto a diving board, it's just that cheap easy way of using them when a sims gen ago we had poles our sims could climb and ladders were more useful.

It's not so much I don't like them because far from it, use them with most of my builds, but it's that clunk factor, something seeming so easy to make/add in was left for YEARS on the back burner despite us having them already as a way to enjoy the pool or for toddlers to reach the top of their tiny slides.

Yea they look clunky to me too. I wonder if it’s because they have that square part at the top. I still use them in my builds, though. I like having the option.
  • irishdragon7irishdragon7 Posts: 124 Member
    And here I thought I was being too hard on the star wars pack. I am SO glad I did not buy it. I really appreciate your honest review and evaluation!

I have also been playing sims for a very long time, since the first sims game that my friend had. I have stopped playing Sims 4 for now. Inspired by other user comments, I have gone back to playing the Sims Medieval and I must say, it kills me that the game play is SO MUCH BETTER in that than in Sims 4 (and that is 9 years old). I have kept purchasing the packs (I have all but the star wars) and kept playing so I would feel I got my money's worth but I am not sure I will ever get there with Sims 4. It is sad that after 4 hours on Sims Medieval I feel that I have gotten my money back in terms of enjoyment compared to how long I have been playing Sims 4. I think I will stick to Sims 3 and Sims Medieval.

I think you have noted things that a lot of us veteran users have felt. Our dedication to the franchise is tied to the role it plays in our lives and when I need an escape, I don't want to be overly frustrated that the game is not living up to what would be considered reasonable expectations (Seriously, why have they not fixed the short-legged cat and dog breeds???). Unless the bugs get fixed significantly, I cannot see me investing any more in Sims 4 and definitely not in any future Sims 5 or beyond. It really is a shame because like you, the game has made my life a little more bearable at times.

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2020
    The community shares your frustration. I guess this is why the Executive Producer had to make a statement...

All I can say is that I would recommend taking a break, play some other games and maybe wait and see what Maxis are planning. And don't buy their packs at release, it's not worth it.

Play the sims4 less and maybe give other games a chance. I'm looking forward to the next games that are releasing in the next coming months.
  • Bunzz_1999Bunzz_1999 Posts: 6 New Member
    I feel this post a lot. I've been playing TS3 a lot recently (on console, still a bit of a step behind the PC version but still has the main mechanics at hand) and I realised how much Sims 4 is lacking.

I am totally against the new pack. I get that some Simmers may like Star Wars but based on the results of the community poll the overwhelming majority did not want this pack. I typically tend to buy all the packs and play with them, and I find them all to be pretty good (even if I can't stand vampires I now have a way to not have them be in my game all the time). But, with this pack, I was adamant from the beginning that I didn't want it because I'm not a big Star Wars fan and would obviously miss out on a lot of the key lore of the pack. Then, finding out more info it's essentially just a vacation world with missions, aliens that aren't aliens, and a lotless world that could be edited with cheats but not fully exploited.

I also don't like their statement, it doesn't sit right with me. To quote Pleasant Sims and her reaction to it, especially about the "foundational technology" -- they never planned to integrate these things. We can see cars driving in the worlds, but we can't do it ourselves. I really hope they do fix this at some point in time, because this is my childhood franchise and I'd hate to say it's lost its spark but it has. I feel the devs need to spend more time focusing on the integral core of a life sim instead of a Star Wars pack and a reality show -- which I liked, but still, don't think was asked for. No offense.
  • Mw93Mw93 Posts: 59 Member
    This is one of the many reasons why I refuse to upgrade to the sims 4 -.- when it was released no pools nor toddlers :/ it's like your game packs are just becoming ads, the sims 2 and 3 when they have branded stuff packs at least the shoved a lot of stuff to make it worth while.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I understand where the OP is coming from and fully agree. Like so many of you have posted, this game has been part of my life since day 1 of TS1, and provided countless hours of enjoyment, whether from creating or playing. Until TS4. Yes, I play from time to time, but it lacks the snap of the earlier versions, is more endured than enjoyed. It's a crying sham what EA/Maxis has done to a once stellar game. My consolation is that I can still play the older versions, back to the original. Having old computers kicking around is quite handy.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited September 2020
    I think The Sims 4 is similar to Star Citizen case.
    A Final version was originally planned in 2014 but still playable in Alpha version 6 years later with 11 millions of players and after $300 MM of crowdfunding spent in the development.

The developers are optimistic and work hard while the players are pessimistic and don't even realize how much the task is difficult.
    Frustration and impatience taking over all the hard work that has been done over the years.

Christopher Roberts describe very well the situation of many studios.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/atmospheric-room-system-4-years-later/3366441
    If you want to encourage me or other developers to answer questions then it helps to not turn around and question people's professionalism or make sweeping statements. If someone did that to you in your job I am sure it would be irritating. I have a thicker skin than most of the developers at CIG, and realize that not everyone is speaking in their first language or realizes how they phrased things may not have been the best, but in general it is best to approach things with constructive criticism, leaving the ad hominems out. You wouldn't be putting this much time into something if you didn't care, so why put energy into posting something that a developer will dismiss because it feels like an attack? I can tell you that being considerate of someone and treating them with respect will get you much further than than being dismissive. The development team reads these forums and other places like reddit, and the community's feedback really helps, but the feedback that gets actioned on, that gets passed around internally and is discussed is the constructive type, not the overly negative type. Just saying something sucks isn't helpful. Explaining why it sucks for that user, and their ideas to potentially rectify it is helpful.

My biggest disappointment with modern internet discourse is that there's a significant amount of cynicism, especially in forum or reddit debates, and a portion of people assume the worst. If a feature is missing, late or buggy it's because the company or the developer lied and or / is incompetent as opposed to the fact that it just took longer and had more problems than the team thought it would when they originally set out to build it. Developers by their very nature are optimistic. You have to be to build things that haven't ever been built before. Otherwise the sheer weight of what is needed to be done can crush you. But being optimistic or not foreseeing issues isn't the same as lying or deliberately misleading people. Everyone at CIG is incredibly passionate about making Star Citizen the most immersive massively multiplayer first person universe sandbox, and everyone works very hard to deliver that. If we could deliver harder, faster, better we would. We get just as frustrated with the time things take. We practice bottom up task estimation where the team implementing the feature breaks it down and gives their estimates of how long it will take them. Management doesn't dictate timelines, we just set priorities for the teams as there are always a lot more things to do at any one time than we have people to do them. We are constantly reviewing and trying to improve our AGILE development process and how we estimate sprints. As the code, feature and content base grows there is more maintenance and support needed for the existing features and content, which can eat into the time a team has for new feature development, meaning you always have the push and pull of current quality of life in a release versus delivering new features and content. The same push and pull exists in the community as there is a strong desire for polished bug free gameplay now but also new features and content, often from the very same people.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    Spending 7k on a spaceship that you still can't play years later is about as appropriate a comparison as you can get.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    I really cannot see that not liking the way the game is going stops you from playing the bits of it you like. I wish I hadn't bought the last Sims 3 pack, a pack too far for me but I played the rest of it until Sims 4 came out.
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    edited September 2020
    Part of the reason it's not a full game is because they keep changing what they want to do with it, and getting a basic game out to the players who supported them seems to keep taking a back seat to that.

The player shouldn't have to keep supporting and supporting, and never get a real game to play. I just don't think it's fair to the players, and after a while of waiting for a game that never seems to get here, they deserve something to play, not more promises. Things happen, but Star Citizen has been pretty random. Other games do it too, and we see it happening a lot more often, but does that mean we should accept it happening on our dollars? I see parallels there, and with other games too.

The players deserve better, both there and here. Just my opinion, of course.
    Post edited by EveryDaySim on
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    @Godleyjeans, I agree with you and if you must cease buying anything related to the Sims 4 I stand by you, I myself made an commitment if I do see a little value in an pack that is what I will pay for that pack and so far it has worked as I never pay full price. I do not plan on buying that Nifty pack as I do not see no value in it for myself and can do without it. Stay strong and buy something that is of value to you. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited September 2020
    Part of the reason it's not a full game is because they keep changing what they want to do with it, and getting a basic game out to the players who supported them seems to keep taking a back seat to that.

The Sims 4 isn't a game (one-shot development), it's a live service (long time development).
    It will be "full" when the service will stop.

Mass Effect Andromeda was a full game, it will no longer be updated, fixed or get DLC, no matter the complaints of the fans.

As long as the development is in progress, there is still hope.
    Provided the controlling powers give a rat's tail for the players and what they want. 6 years of TS4 history says they don't. I might feel some hope if a certain high honcho goes elsewhere and someone with the caring and vision of Will Wright takes over. I honestly don't see that happening.
  • bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member

I agree with this, but I think the problem is that people are losing hope because they feel like the developers aren't listening. There is still hope, but there is no guarantee that Sims 4 will be improved by the time they decide the series is done. Until we see actual proof that they're listening, more people will call it quits.

I've been playing Sims since December 1, 2000. My brother and his wife bought it for me on my 15th birthday. It wasn't until half ways into Sims 3 that I began to question the future of this franchise. Now, after only playing Sims 4 for a few months, I can see that my fears have become reality. I was worried that the quality of game play would go down while the price went up. Here we are. It costs a fortune, even when the packs are on sale, and the game still feels empty and emotionless. Don't get me wrong, I love to build in the game, but even that is limited because we still don't have curved walls, curved stairs, spiral stairs, or the ability to make a proper split level home, etc. We also don't have enough empty lots to build on in any of the locations. I'm still pretty salty about Strangerville's lack of empty lots in the downtown area. I haven't purchased Eco Lifestyle or Nifty Knitting, so I'm not sure if anything has changed with those to make building better. I will not buy Star Wars. Ever. I'm still holding onto hope, but I am withholding my money until I see some improvements.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    edited September 2020

The Sims 4 isn't a game (one-shot development), it's a live service (long time development).

Mass Effect Andromeda was a full game, it will no longer be updated, fixed or get DLC, no matter the complaints of the fans.

There is no hope in this case.😑.I don't expect this game to ever get better.😟 .I lost hope
    Not unless there is a total leadership change, one that believes in the old business adage, 'the customer is always right'.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    When EA's official response to all this is to outright tell us that "What you want is too hard - oh and plez buy our next pack and here's a Millenial Falcon because that is easier to make than missing base game content" then yeah... How many years will it take?

I mean seriously, we only got toddlers and pools because the game was new enough that word of mouth could hinder sales. Now? They are in no rush to make a feature complete base game because enough people have bought it and continue to buy everything for it.

On the other hand some developments can be read two ways:
    That new "Reality soap"? Is that a sign the game is super popular? Or is it a sign that sales are collapsing and EA needs some kind of attention boost? In the latter context this Star Wars pack fits right in.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    edited September 2020
    The Sims 4 will be developed until 2024 or 2025 at least, so the current basegame is probably full at 60% or less.

I can't judge a partial product, only the final version matters.

The Sims Studio proved with TS1, TS2 and TS3 that the best part always come the last years. Let's see if it will happen again.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2020

There is no hope in this case.😑.I don't expect this game to ever get better.😟 .I lost hope

I have to agree with this even if Sims 4 is still in development it does not give me any peps , here we are more than 6 years and Sims 4 has yet to hit any potential it just makes these one area packs and plenty of items so when can I cut the cord so I can create my own Neighborhoods, my own lots as if they do it takes away one of their selling points.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen