Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues (2020-22 version!)

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @elleskyheart That's great to hear. With your graphics card, you could try setting the limit at 144—the card should be capable of handling the load. But 60 is fine, as is 72 (half of 144) if you'd prefer a slightly higher fps than 60. Some people can tell the difference between 60 and higher, and some people can't. The point is, as long as it's not going over 144, you're fine: you're protecting your card, you're not risking your laptop overheating, and the risk of graphics glitches is low.
  • elleskyheartelleskyheart Posts: 69 Member
    @elleskyheart That's great to hear. With your graphics card, you could try setting the limit at 144—the card should be capable of handling the load. But 60 is fine, as is 72 (half of 144) if you'd prefer a slightly higher fps than 60. Some people can tell the difference between 60 and higher, and some people can't. The point is, as long as it's not going over 144, you're fine: you're protecting your card, you're not risking your laptop overheating, and the risk of graphics glitches is low.

Yeah, I may try 144 or 72 if needed. I'll try with all three this weekend. Sadly, I don't have the best eyes for graphics and it can be hard ot tell the difference but I hope I can notice. But even not, this is good. Thank you for helping me with all this =)
    @puzzlezaddict

Hey puzzlezaddict, I have a question. This isn't about sims 3 but rather sims 2. I was wondering, do any of you guys know how to play the sims 2 on new windows 10 computers. I have the origin version of course. I know of the site fish something, but sadly those who helped have stopped because of others it seems. I can't post a new thread, but just wanted to see if you or anyone knew of a way to play the game. If not, that's fine. I just always wanted to ask on here in case someone knows something.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited September 2020
    @elleskyheart If you don't get any answers here; there are a lot of questions about the same thing on AHQ, Other Games Section, and I'm sure someone can help you there, or know who to ask.

But I also found this person, who seems to have provided technical support in their Discord up until April. Here they have listed a couple of things to try: https://pleasantsims.com/sims-2-windows-10/
    The guide is updated dec 2019

There are several guides on what to do to get TS2 running though, and a section in this forum for it (the game). The most common and important tip seems to be to get the graphic card recognized; either manually, or with the Graphic Rules Maker, so a suggestion is to try that first.

I don't play TS2/own it so I just searched for info, and can't really help with testing things (even though I would like to, the game seems so nice). I can try to search for guides though, if you say what you try/failed.
    edited September 2020
    @elleskyheart If you don't get any answers here; there are a lot of questions about the same thing on AHQ, Other Games Section, and I'm sure someone can help you there, or know who to ask.

But I also found this person, who seems to have provided technical support in their Discord up until April. Here they have listed a couple of things to try: https://pleasantsims.com/sims-2-windows-10/
    The guide is updated dec 2019

There are several guides on what to do to get TS2 running though, and a section in this forum for it (the game). The most common and important tip seems to be to get the graphic card recognized; either manually, or with the Graphic Rules Maker, so a suggestion is to try that first.

I don't play TS2/own it so I just searched for info, and can't really help with testing things (even though I would like to, the game seems so nice). I can try to search for guides though, if you say what you try/failed.

Thanks so much. I'll give these a try. I'll let you know if any of these worked. Thanks again!

And if anyone else also have tips, I'm be grateful as well. I'll try anything to get it to work
  • Fruity_pebbles19Fruity_pebbles19 Posts: 10 New Member
    Reposting in here as requested. I do now have a legitimate version of the game. Apologies for posting in the wrong thread. I will paraphrase. Didn’t like the game version of story progression and it disabling it didn’t work in my game. So I got the Nraas Story Progression mod but my sims are still progressing. I thought I set the settings right, perhaps not. Also, my sims who are not in university or vacation are not aging. It says in the bar “days until aging up never” but it still has a bit of green in it. I think these issues may be related. Your point about unchecking the EA box makes perfect sense and I don’t know why I never thought of that. I hope this is enough information.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2020
    @Fruity_pebbles19 - With or without the Game Options checkbox though, is NRaas SP's version of progression actually engaged? On City Hall or an in-game computer, NRaas > SP > General Options > Enable Progression > (True or False?)

If NRaas SP's progression is not engaged, then the mod isn't going to do much of anything. If it is engaged, then there are things we can do to limit various forms of progression. You might take a look at this page to see some of the things players do; if you don't want to get into castes and really want to more tightly control the entire resident population rather than a select few households, then the same settings can be used on the Caste > Not Active level.
    http://www.nraas.net/community/Story-Progression-Rotational-Caste-Settings

Also when engaged, NRaas SP's own aging manager takes over. If it's not doing what it's instructed to, then we can take a closer look at its options and where things might be failing.

It might also help if we can get a better sense of what your intended style of play is and what you are trying to lock down on household when they are not actively being played. "Progression off" does mean different things to different players. Sims are always going to have to go to work/school, assuming they have jobs or there is a school for them to go to, there is no real way to lock them in their houses when they aren't being actively played, and they will to some extent be pushed out into town when there are community lots offering up things for them to do. But perhaps you had some other specific sets of things in mind that you wish to have or not have happen.

As you can see, the options available can become pretty involved which is why I suggested this inquiry might eventually be better on our NRaas site forum, but this isn't a bad place start.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Fruity_pebbles19Fruity_pebbles19 Posts: 10 New Member
    What I am hoping to accomplish is similar to sims 2, when you are not using that active household it pauses. My settings are set to story progression false. The menu is pretty confusing to me if I’m honest but I did manage to figure that out.
    edited September 2020
    @Fruity_pebbles19 - You can't really do that in TS3 because the game is open world as opposed to active lot oriented like TS2/TS4. Sims all across town are constantly going in and out of semi-hibernation, animating, and doing stuff while you are playing your active household. They have to go to work/school, take care of their children and pets, they will be pushed to populate community lots when they aren't busy, attend events, and they are going to experience things while we aren't watching over them. The best we can do is use SP to limit those things so that they don't contain life-changing events like switching jobs, getting promotions, learning brand new skills, breaking up or forming new romantic partnerships, having kids, aging, etc. as outlined on the Rotational Play page.

It is also possible to put inactively played sims in Stasis, if SP progression is switched on. But what that does is max out all of their motives and keep them maxed out, which makes them really boring to be around because they would then have no short-term needs to fulfill and are just kind of happy and drooling (more so than usual) all of the time.

With SP installed but switched off, there are no such controls. It's not like a master on/off switch for any kind of progression, it's really a master switch as to whether the mod is in control or not.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • darkdark Posts: 11 New Member
    Hello everyone, I'm using a really old account but actually never used the forums since i've only been playing the Sims 3 for the first time in 5 years. Basically I have some performance issues on my gaming laptop:

- The game will freeze for about 1,5 second when I click my active Sim to open the pie menu
    - The game will sometimes stutter heavily (This can be either engine lag where the Sims freeze for a while then shoot forward, or a dip in FPS)
    - Scrolling around makes the game stutter too, this is usually what causes the fps drops

What I have done:

- GPU is recognized
    - V-sync = On
    - Running NRaas Overwatch/Mastercontroller/Errortrap
    - Tried decreasing the amount of CC, with next to no difference (merged as well, total cc Folder is about 5 Gb containing Around 15 .Package files
    - Clearing caches and cleaning save file
    - Moving to another city with Porter
    - Clearing the inventory of all Sims in town

I'm playing all EP's except for Island Paradise and University

My specs are

Intel Core I7-7700HQ 2,8 GHz
    16 Gb RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB (Max-q Mobile)

The monitor in my laptop is G-Sync enabled but I have disabled it (still on 120 Hz)

Graphics settings are all on Medium except for Sim Detail and Textures and high quality lots is on 2

Advice would be very welcome!
  • LiefLief Posts: 108 Member
    i hate an
    Error: 327682:0
    @dark - I understand you have vertical sync engaged, but are your fps rates in-game staying below the refresh rate of your monitor or are they still wandering or spiking above 120?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @Lief - There can be a few reasons for that error, but most common is trying to run TS3 on macOS Catalina or higher. The game is 32-bit only and the new Mac operating systems cannot install or run it in any way. There is a new version of TS3 for Mac in the works by EA to fix this, but we don't have a realistic expected release date yet.

But let us know if this isn't what you are running and we can talk about the other possible causes.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Siona1nnSiona1nn Posts: 2 New Member
    so here's a problem i've had ever since installing the sims 3 on a modern computer. my only issue with the entire game is that it can only handle one loading screen at a time. what i mean by this is that once i load into my save, i can't exit to the main menu and open another save without being stuck on a loading screen that never ends. this also means i can't travel to the other countries and i can't go to university because i'm stuck on a loading screen forever. any advice? thanks!
    @igazor If I enable FPS in the console it gives me 120 FPS or 60 depending on what refresh rate I use since I can choose. I noticed that it sometimes goes to 121 or 61 but I think that's because when I check the refresh rates in Windows, it tells me my screen is 120.144 Hz or 6.057 Hz. I don't know if this is normal though
    Siona1nn wrote: »
    once i load into my save, i can't exit to the main menu and open another save without being stuck on a loading screen that never ends.
    That's actually a really risky thing to do anyway, when things are working properly I mean. What can happen is that the game doesn't release all of the contents of RAM in between sessions like that, so the data from one game/world can get superimposed on the next one with all kinds of data corruption, game breakage, and sims being in totally unexpected situations like those who were dead and buried are suddenly residents living on some community lot. As annoying as it can be, it really is best to quit all the way to the desktop (or Origin if relevant) and start fresh before loading up a different or a new game save.

Not being able to do a travel transition within one ongoing game is another matter entirely. If not averse to using mods, NRaas Traveler working together with Overwatch and ErrorTrap works very hard to help make those transitions successful. Without mods, sometimes all players can do is only try a travel transition after having freshly loaded up the game and with as little stress on it as possible -- not logged in at the Launcher or in-game levels, the in-game TS3 Store shopping experience disabled, the interactive hidden object startup game switched off, graphics settings turned way down and Advanced Rendering off temporarily in the Game Options (the game will look horrible that way, but this is only to get through the world travel transition).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited September 2020
    dark wrote: »
    @igazor If I enable FPS in the console it gives me 120 FPS or 60 depending on what refresh rate I use since I can choose. I noticed that it sometimes goes to 121 or 61 but I think that's because when I check the refresh rates in Windows, it tells me my screen is 120.144 Hz or 6.057 Hz. I don't know if this is normal though
    This doesn't sound like an fps issue at all, then.

Is performance any better/different on a brand new test game, just started up, or does the same thing happen almost right away?

What about a brand new test game on a clean (empty) game folder? --> Meaning, pull your existing TS3 user game folder out of Documents to the Desktop or rename it and let the game spawn a new one on the next startup. You will have no added content at all and no game saves in the new folder, but this is just for testing and all of that would still be safe back in the pulled out folder. Does a new game then perform better?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Siona1nnSiona1nn Posts: 2 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > (Quote)
    > That's actually a really risky thing to do anyway, when things are working properly I mean. What can happen is that the game doesn't release all of the contents of RAM in between sessions like that, so the data from one game/world can get superimposed on the next one with all kinds of data corruption, game breakage, and sims being in totally unexpected situations like those who were dead and buried are suddenly residents living on some community lot. As annoying as it can be, it really is best to quit all the way to the desktop (or Origin if relevant) and start fresh before loading up a different or a new game save.
    >
    > Not being able to do a travel transition within one ongoing game is another matter entirely. If not averse to using mods, NRaas Traveler working together with Overwatch and ErrorTrap works very hard to help make those transitions successful. Without mods, sometimes all players can do is only try a travel transition after having freshly loaded up the game and with as little stress on it as possible -- not logged in at the Launcher or in-game levels, the in-game TS3 Store shopping experience disabled, the interactive hidden object startup game switched off, graphics settings turned way down and Advanced Rendering off temporarily in the Game Options (the game will look horrible that way, but this is only to get through the world travel transition).

turns out it was the "more sims in clubs" mod that caused it. weird! but i removed and it fixed itself
    @igazor Huh, the stutter seemed to have fixed itself apparently, I installed a driver for my CPU today, that fixed it I think.

I did run some test games, with and without a new documents folder. I noticed that the store content is causing the sim menu click lag. I am quite curious what the reason for this is, as I've been obsessively trying to mitigate it without removing too much of what I've already added to the game in terms of CC and/or expansion packs.

Could it be just one item that's causing the click delay? I've seen multiple forum posts online where people experienced the same issue, but no one really had a real solution to it, I think you replied to a few of them as well. I guess the delay isn't SUPER bad, it's only noticable when you have really smooth gameplay and suddenly everything freezes for one second. I could just try to avoid clicking on my sim... Thanks for taking the time to respond :) you're a great help to what seems to be a surprisingly active Sims 3 community (very very happy about that, it's my favourite Sims game).
  • SimCat68SimCat68 Posts: 36 Member
    edited September 2020
    Can someone help? I am 100% ready to lose my 🐸🐸🐸🐸. My Sims 3 game is taking ages to load, and the loading bar keeps getting stuck. If I wait an hour or even two, the game will load eventually but it's ridiculous I have to wait that long. The beginning part of the game loads fine, but once I select a family it always gets stuck. I have tried:
    • Save cleaner
    • SP3e to delete all the images
    • Disabling memories and using Nraas to delete all memories
    • Increasing the amount of RAM Sims 3 can use
    • The Nraas mod that's supposed to tell you if you have a corrupt file.
    • Messing about with the Sims 3 files (renaming the backup to the usual game, doing a factory reset and putting my saves back in.

These have made the bar move a little quicker, but it still inevitably gets stuck for over an hour. When I go onto Task Manager, it says the game is not responding. To be fair, the family I'm trying to load is pretty 🐸🐸🐸🐸 big (the Whelohff family with max Sims capacity), and when I tried a smaller family it didn't get stuck for anywhere NEAR as long (perhaps only 30 secs?). Is it just that it's a huge family? Is there anything I can do when it finally loads to try and minimise the loading time? I don't think the save is corrupt as it DOES load, it just takes freakin' forever.

@igazor - I've seen you around on old posts trying to help with this... any tips?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    dark wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm using a really old account but actually never used the forums since i've only been playing the Sims 3 for the first time in 5 years. Basically I have some performance issues on my gaming laptop:

- The game will freeze for about 1,5 second when I click my active Sim to open the pie menu
    - The game will sometimes stutter heavily (This can be either engine lag where the Sims freeze for a while then shoot forward, or a dip in FPS)
    - Scrolling around makes the game stutter too, this is usually what causes the fps drops

What I have done:

- GPU is recognized
    - V-sync = On
    - Running NRaas Overwatch/Mastercontroller/Errortrap
    - Tried decreasing the amount of CC, with next to no difference (merged as well, total cc Folder is about 5 Gb containing Around 15 .Package files
    - Clearing caches and cleaning save file
    - Moving to another city with Porter
    - Clearing the inventory of all Sims in town

I'm playing all EP's except for Island Paradise and University

My specs are

Intel Core I7-7700HQ 2,8 GHz
    16 Gb RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB (Max-q Mobile)

The monitor in my laptop is G-Sync enabled but I have disabled it (still on 120 Hz)

Graphics settings are all on Medium except for Sim Detail and Textures and high quality lots is on 2

Advice would be very welcome!

@dark What method did you use to turn V-sync on?

Why is that? Unless you're using a skyhigh resolution, with a strong card like the 1060 you should be able to run the game with all the settings on the highest possible.
    > @SuzyCue72 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > @dark What method did you use to turn V-sync on?
    >
    > Why is that? Unless you're using a skyhigh resolution, with a strong card like the 1060 you should be able to run the game with all the settings on the highest possible.

@SuzyCue72 I used Nvidia control panel to activate V-sync

As for the graphics settings I figured some settings could be taxing my cpu a bit, since i'm running on a laptop and it's running really hot (sometimes close to 100 degrees) But I heard laptop CPU's are build to reach those kind of temperatures. I put them on medium to test whether or not the stutter I had would disappear and it didn't. But now everything works after updating my chipset driver!
  • MLyeah21MLyeah21 Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me, my sims aren't getting jealous! I had my sim who is in a relationship flirt with another sim in front of their partner and there was no accusation of cheating at all. The other sim simply got "upset", appeared a bit angry and then had a thought bubble of the cheating sim inside a red circle with a cross through it. The cheated on sim's relationship with the cheater and the sim cheated with went down and then they just went about their business as if nothing had happened! No accusation of cheating or anything! How do I fix this, as it's really bothering me?? For reference, I have Nraas MC, SP and Woohooer but the issue still persists after I play without SP and Woohooer
    @MLyeah21 I think you can add a betrayal moodlet with NRaas Retuner... Not sure though, I think @igazor knows more about this

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top