The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cute Contender: Little Sim World

ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
edited September 2020 in Off Topic Chat
I first heard about this new life simulation contender from another post. Curious, I visited its website:

YOU’RE MOVING FAR AWAY FOR THE FIRST TIME…
You’ve arrived in a distant city, at the London airport…
With some loose change and a key to your uncle’s old apartment, you begin your new life!

Now, would you mind telling us a little about yourself?

It's a cute 2D open world and unlike every life sims game being developed thus far, this time the world is set in a city - London to be exact! To me, this is a refreshing change! I remember commenting before that it would be great if devs from other non-US places would create their life simulation games set in their home countries. This fills the bill!

skin+update.png?format=1500w

Features:
  • Create the house of your dreams: Decorate, buy furniture and upgrade your house!
  • Discover yourself: Develop your personality and reveal who you really are!
  • Start a career: Chase after the career of your dreams - the possibilities are endless ~
  • Fall in love: Be part of the community, meet someone new and find your significant other!
  • An open world: No loading screens, visit everywhere you want!
  • Cars, buses and the underground: Want to get around faster? Travel however you want.
  • Weather and different seasons: Every day is slightly different!
  • Play with your friends: Share a room with your friend, find fun activities to do together. Why play alone?

Development of this game is well organized and well thought out. They have already included LGBT romance and non-binary gender options:

I asked Terry Jin, creator of this cute contender if supernaturals will be included (like a cute version of Being Human!) and he said that the basegame will not have them, but will be added later.

-=<*>=-

This game will be in beta in early 2021. I'm definitely jumping on that!

Does anyone else have other info on this? It's another option we will have in the life simulation genre and another different take on it.

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    It looks like Stardew Valley on steroids.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2020
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    It looks like Stardew Valley on steroids.

Lol, the creator said that it takes some of its inspiration from Stardew Valley. I just like that it's set in a city for a change. I wonder how accurate the city will be? Will it have the famous places to visit? Will we see royalty?

16564304974_b66d59a91a_b.jpg

• DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    That character sheet looks so promising. I'm excited!
    edited September 2020
    This game will be in early access (beta-testing) in Q1 of 2021 for Patreon funders so I'm going to join it as soon as l get back to the States! I'm personally tired of all the drama with the new game pack for TS4 and just want to play a new and different life simulation game soon without the stress!

If anyone is interested in this game, I'm posting some FAQ:

Old-Banner-Faqs.png?format=1000w

When will Little Sim World be available?
    We are looking to be going into alpha testing around Q1 2021.

Which platforms will Little Sim World be available on?
    PC and Mac! Mobile, Linux and console ports come after~

How much will Little Sim World cost?
    Around $20-25.

Which distribution platform will you be using?
    Most likely Steam and Epic (possibly Patreon downloads too). Don’t quote us on this yet though as we are still working things out!

Will there be multiplayer?
    Yes, full multiplayer will be implemented after early access ends. No cutting corners!

Are there any loading screens and is the player bound to the player house?
    Nope! There are no loading screens in Little Sim World. Exploring and even going upstairs do not trigger transitions or loading screens. It’s one big world - happy gaming!

Will there be cosmetics or microtransactions?
    No. There will be no paywalls in Little Sim World. Outfits will be available, but you’ll have to get those yourself by playing the game! Major and minor updates will be free for the foreseeable future. Maybe in the distance somewhere there might be a paid expansion but it won’t be anytime soon ~

How about mod support?
    Not on release, but this is something I am looking to enable over time. While mods are fantastic, I would like the game to be feature complete without mods being a ‘necessity’ to play.

What are the system requirements?
    We don’t have official specifications yet, but they will be minimal. We are spending a lot of time optimising so it can run on ancient potats.

What engine does the game use and what programming language?
    2020 Unity 2D, and C#!

s5DtzikA.png?format=1500w

• annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited September 2020
    Oh, this looks so cute and fun! It's even set in my country, which is a pleasant surprise. I would love to create my own little Being Human family once they add supernaturals too. Thanks for sharing this. I will definitely have to keep my eye on it.
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    I joined the Discord server and found out some more things.

- There are achievements in the museum and for each set you complete you'll get a reward. Confirmed collections are fish, plants/flowers, coins (possibly changed into jelly beans) and foods.
    - The characters have sounds when they talk. A little like Animal Crossing.
    - There are weather effects.
    - There's a banking system in the game: stock trading, loans...
    - Cellphone has a separate UI and you can buy different phones.
    - You can make your own character, but others are generated.
    - DLCs aren't planned but free updates will follow.
    - Having kids is planned but it will take a while before that's implemented.
    - You'll start as a poor young adult.
    - The game is goal-oriented, but the story is in the background. The game is endless however.
    - There are no moodlets/emotions but there might be later.
    - Only basic clothes are available at the start of the game, other clothes have to be bought.
    - Pets will be added later. You can then go to the pet store and look for a pet with the traits you want. They won't be controllable and can run away if you don't take care of them.
    - Horoscopes will make a small difference.
    - You can ask about NPC's character information. They all have character sheets like yours.
    - You can craft, fix and upgrade existing furniture with additions that can be bought from a store.
    - There will be mouse-overs for the different traits and interests so you can see what the icons mean.
    - There will be other languages than English later on.
    - The devs are unsure about aging. They're planning dating scenarios so aging would be iffy. It's not as easy as in The Sims.
    - Ilness exists. You can get sick from low health and walking outside in the rain. Low health and low fitness levels increase chances of being sick. Exercising increases health. You can't die.
    - Cleaning things might come in a major update later on.
    - You start with 200 pounds. Rent is due every week and there will be some items in the fridge. Rent is based on your electricity consumption plus base rate of rent, it's something like £25 a week at the moment. It will go up over time as the player moves past the earlier part of the game and it will go up to around £50.
    - Houses are all preset, but you can do extensions to them. There is no build mode like there is in The Sims, buildings are built in real time when people come to your place. You can do 'build mode' but it takes some days before your changes are completed.
    - At the moment there are 20 different buildings in the game. They will add more soon for players to move in.
    - You can grow your own plants inside and outside.
    - At the moment transport is free, they haven't implemented prices yet. It'll probably be the same rules as the rest of the passes like university or gym or library. You need to pay for them. But if you meet certain criteria you get a life pass.
    - Multiplayer will work similarly to Stardew Valley. You can have your own house and play your own game. Since the game doesn't wait for anyone, you don't need to wait for others to sleep, etc. The one inconvenience is you can't fast forward unless all players agree.
    - At the moment you can't decorate the rest of the game. The reason is because Little Sim World is not really like Stardew Valley like a small community of friends. The feeling is a bit different, it's more of a city vibe so you aren't friends with everyone so you can't necessarily do whatever you want in terms of the city design. It won't be a thing for the first large number of hours of gameplay.
    - Taxes is one of the top things the devs want to add. In the real world, in London, taxes go from 0->20%->40%->45% and also council taxes. They will be emulating this system in the game.
    - The game will not be tediously realistic, but more realistic than The Sims. Like dirty laundry, delays in delivery, traffic jams etc so it won't be all flawlessly straightforward.
    - Marriage is not genderlocked.
    - There are no overseas trips. It could be a thing in the future.
    - Careers are rabbitholes where you get to make one choice a day.
    - If your personality or trait points aren't high enough, some NPCs may treat you differently.

This took a lot of time but I hope it was somewhat informative. 😁
    Duvelina wrote: »

- There are achievements in the museum and for each set you complete you'll get a reward. Confirmed collections are fish, plants/flowers, coins (possibly changed into jelly beans) and foods.
    - The game is goal-oriented, but the story is in the background. The game is endless however.
    - Only basic clothes are available at the start of the game, other clothes have to be bought.
    - Pets will be added later. You can then go to the pet store and look for a pet with the traits you want. They won't be controllable and can run away if you don't take care of them.
    - You can ask about NPC's character information. They all have character sheets like yours.
    - You can craft, fix and upgrade existing furniture with additions that can be bought from a store.
    - There will be mouse-overs for the different traits and interests so you can see what the icons mean.
    - The devs are unsure about aging. They're planning dating scenarios so aging would be iffy. It's not as easy as in The Sims.
    - Ilness exists. You can get sick from low health and walking outside in the rain. Low health and low fitness levels increase chances of being sick. Exercising increases health. You can't die.
    - You start with 200 pounds. Rent is due every week and there will be some items in the fridge. Rent is based on your electricity consumption plus base rate of rent, it's something like £25 a week at the moment. It will go up over time as the player moves past the earlier part of the game and it will go up to around £50.
    - Houses are all preset, but you can do extensions to them. There is no build mode like there is in The Sims, buildings are built in real time when people come to your place. You can do 'build mode' but it takes some days before your changes are completed.
    - At the moment there are 20 different buildings in the game. They will add more soon for players to move in.
    - At the moment transport is free, they haven't implemented prices yet. It'll probably be the same rules as the rest of the passes like university or gym or library. You need to pay for them. But if you meet certain criteria you get a life pass.
    - Multiplayer will work similarly to Stardew Valley. You can have your own house and play your own game. Since the game doesn't wait for anyone, you don't need to wait for others to sleep, etc. The one inconvenience is you can't fast forward unless all players agree.
    - At the moment you can't decorate the rest of the game. The reason is because Little Sim World is not really like Stardew Valley like a small community of friends. The feeling is a bit different, it's more of a city vibe so you aren't friends with everyone so you can't necessarily do whatever you want in terms of the city design. It won't be a thing for the first large number of hours of gameplay.
    - Taxes is one of the top things the devs want to add. In the real world, in London, taxes go from 0->20%->40%->45% and also council taxes. They will be emulating this system in the game.
    - The game will not be tediously realistic, but more realistic than The Sims. Like dirty laundry, delays in delivery, traffic jams etc so it won't be all flawlessly straightforward.
    - If your personality or trait points aren't high enough, some NPCs may treat you differently.

Thank you so much for all your effort in gathering all this information! It's sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to play this early next year!!!

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Wow! That is a lot of information! Not sure if I'll ever play, I'd be interested in what others have to say, but it's nice to have a different type of life sim for sure!
  • xLunaSimsxxLunaSimsx Posts: 6,719 Member
    This looks so cool! I'll definitely give it a shot when it comes out. In fact, I might become a Patron.
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Oh wow I love this! Definitely bookmarking this thread and following them on Twitter. Can't wait for the beta, looks like it'll a perfect little game to try out :)
    Little Sim World has been updated!
    • Player house's yard expanded with cute potted flora
    • UI enhancements

• Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    I might If they make a console version (unfortunately I will not become a patreon because I m poor)
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
    And because console you have controllers a cool Idea for them could be to make it so you could play a two, three or even four player (like minecraft)
    edited September 2020
    I might If they make a console version (unfortunately I will not become a patreon because I m poor)
    And because console you have controllers a cool Idea for them could be to make it so you could play a two, three or even four player (like minecraft)

Terry Jin, creator of Little Sim World, said the game will come to consoles as well after its release on PCs. It will have multiplayer too!

edited September 2020
  • pandie00pandie00 Posts: 590 Member
    Im hyped already!
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I just found out about this game. It looks cute. The only thing I'm a bit disappointed by is that having children isn't planned for base game, but I'm glad it'll come eventually. I might try this game out. The character personality system looks great.

Terry Jin, creator of Little Sim World, said the game will come to consoles as well after its release on PCs. It will have multiplayer too!

I ment sitting in the same room as them like sims can do with city living
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Okay, this game is just adorable. Definitely keeping an eye on it.
    edited September 2020
    Updated map with more to come!

Additional Creator's notes at Discord:

"Current map and buildings in the game. I think 4 of them are not in the game at the moment but they will be soon! More residential for NPCs and empty/development (player housing) lots will be added soon."

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    This looks promising. Reminds me of the games from way back in the early days of PC gaming. Simple, basic graphics, but fun. I appreciate how they are being upfront with game content.
    Great news! Terry Jin, creator Little Sim World, now has a Twitch channel to stream updates of Little Sim World from time to time. The first stream will be next Saturday, September 26, 2020. So follow the channel and get notified to watch!

Terry Jin's Twitch Channel

Great news! Terry Jin, creator Little Sim World, now has a Twitch channel to stream updates of Little Sim World from time to time. The first stream will be next Saturday, September 26, 2020. So follow the channel and get notified to watch!

Terry Jin's Twitch Channel

6 days
  • Duvelina wrote: »

Thank you so much for all your effort in gathering all this information! It's sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to play this early next year!!!

that is dedication