Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Young adults can be a parents for teens. It is weird.

Comments

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Krueger wrote: »
    It's uncommon im real life, but then again, this isn't real life. It works within the context of the game.

Maybe uncommon in your own circle of who you personally know. But I know many like myself that were young and have teens. My teen is an adult in about 10 months and I am just entering my what some might call the older adult stage of life.
  • Options
    BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    Yeah where I live it's kind of uncommon if you don't have teens in young adulthood. I think it's because it's a poor area and people only have woohoo to keep them occupied, I mean it's free! My sons friend is 36 and he's going to have his first grandchild in a months time. I'm unusual because I'm over 40 and not a grandparent....
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    edited September 2020
    Y'all are forgetting that rash of horrific shows on MTV here in America that romanticized being a teen and pregnant. Girls were out there getting pregnant to try and be on the show or to be popular in their respective communities. So, yes, being a YA and having a T child is completely feasible.

Edit: color me surprised that my choice of wording was conaidered bad, now its just "horrific", ha!
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2020
    It's uncommon im real life, but then again, this isn't real life. It works within the context of the game.

Maybe uncommon in your own circle of who you personally know. But I know many like myself that were young and have teens. My teen is an adult in about 10 months and I am just entering my what some might call the older adult stage of life.

It is definitely heavily dependent on where you live. In the city of Toronto, where I live currently, just 1.1 percent of births are from women aged 15-19, and only 7.2 percent aged 20-24 (with most of those in the 23-24 age bracket). So it’s not all that common here.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I'm struggling to understand how this is odd at all. It's totally possible for a young adult to have a teen aged child. Also teen is not 13-20, it's 13-17. 18 is a legal adult. I'd also argue young adult can go up past 35.

But I'm not sure how this even applies within the game when the sims don't even have numerical ages.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I'm struggling to understand how this is odd at all. It's totally possible for a young adult to have a teen aged child. Also teen is not 13-20, it's 13-17. 18 is a legal adult. I'd also argue young adult can go up past 35.

But I'm not sure how this even applies within the game when the sims don't even have numerical ages.

Definitely possible. That was never a question imo. The discussion kind of veered into how common it is.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I guess it's weird depending on how you play your game. I play with aging off and really only age up sims that are babies to teenagers. Most of my sims stay young adult unless I created them as adults .. and that's usually just to get some definition and facial lines where I want them.
    Lol.. if I do age up a sim to an adult and elder it's because they are on a fast track to meet Grimmy.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

Uncommon? No, it's very common in low education, low socioeconomic communities.
    In communities with higher education rates, and higher rates of wealth, people tend to not have kids until they're in their 30's.

I've got a friend who became a grandmother at 34. The city I currently live in has a very high rate of very young people having babies, being a grandparent by the age of 40 is not at all uncommon. It's a city with a high population of low socioeconomic people, and a high rate of high school drop outs, and a high rate of unemployment.
    Woohoo is better when you're unemployed. Or something.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    It can get even stranger. In one game I left aging for unplayed sims on. After a while the Goth household had 1 adult - Mortimer, 2 YA - Bella & Cassandra, & 1 teen - Alexander. I know that defies logic, but we are dealing with TS4 here.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member

Teenager is 13-19. It‘s in the name.

Bella Goth is on day 1 of young adulthood when the game starts so in human years she‘d be around 20. She was a teen yesterday and today she suddenly has a teenage daughter. What happened to children and teens not being able to wohoo and try for baby in the Sims? They should have made Bella an adult just like her husband. It bugs me so much that I kill of Mortimer first thing in every new game because he creeps me out so much.
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I had my daughter at 19, then my son at 27
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2020
    I went to high school that a girl had 3 kids by the time she was a senior. I guess it depends where you live. But 100 baby challenge, lots of babies happen. I know some that got married in the south at age 14.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    My sixth great-grandparents were fifteen and just sixteen when they wed in the fall of 1761. Their first child came in the spring of 1763. So, he was seventeen when his mother passed away at just thirty-three years of age, passing just prior to her birthday that year. It all depends on when the children come.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Also elders can be parents to elders... I've made some interesting families in CAS.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    It's just when they are at the beginning of each stage that it is weird. Bella being at day 1 of YA while Cass is at day one of teen is weird. But in my game I give every YA/Adult a potion of youth halfway through, so that they age to adult at what is closer to mid-forties, and to elder at 69, so they stretch out more. I always give my Adults a slightly more middle aged look.

In my game, Cass aged to Adult about 10 days before Bella ages to Elder, which makes them close to 20 years apart.

In real life, most of my friends from high school either had kids by 21 or not until over 30, so some are grandparents in their 40s and some are still parenting preteens or younger.
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2020
    Just realize TS4 Bella is one of those sims who has a teen child meanwhile Mortimer is a lot older.... yeah they've ruined the aging lol
  • Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited September 2020
    babajayne wrote: »
    I give the adults makeovers with the styles of hair that aren’t as hip, clothes that seem more practical than before, and all that. I take it upon myself to evolve their styles....

I do this too, although the game needs more clothing and hair that isn't trendy.

@GalacticGal Life expectancy 250 years ago was a little different.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    I give the adults makeovers with the styles of hair that aren’t as hip, clothes that seem more practical than before, and all that. I take it upon myself to evolve their styles....

I do this too, although the game needs more clothing and hair that isn't trendy.

@GalacticGal Life expectancy 260 years ago was a little different.

Yeah, I know that, but that wasn't my point. Some people today become teen parents. So that they can still be in their 30s by the time their kid is a teen. That was the point. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    Just realize TS4 Bella is one of those sims who has a teen child meanwhile Mortimer is a lot older.... yeah they've ruined the aging lol

This is why I replace them with the Goth Family I have saved in my library. I did this to all the premades I allow to stay in my game.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I always thought of a young adult being 18 to 40, and teen to be 13-17. I turned 13 when my Mom was 35 and my Dad was 37, so it doesn't seem that strange to me.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Actually not that rare, especially if you consider that a 13 year old is a teenager. 20 is not a teen.
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited September 2020
    Considering how limited the 'teen' age is in the game, I'd say it is closer to 12 than 19, or 18, the legal age in my country, for instance when you are allowed to take courses at university. Teens cannot do that in TS4. Legal age for consentual sex, within the same age span, is 15, also where I live; and the teens cannot 'woohoo' in the game. I am certain this is based on american/us culture; not mine, and so more related to pleasing a conservative lobby than about portrayal of an actual age. I think the reason for the flexibility in relationship settings in CAS is in some part also influenced by the protested inflexibility for that in TS3. The iterations exists in a game continuum as well as being mildly related to life, and heavily dependent on politics.
  • Options
    PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I mean... Yeah if you create a young adult sim with a teen child in CAS and they have the default ages then it's a little weird. Most of the time my sims have children when they're young adults and when their kids age up to teens, they're usually still young adults but close to aging up to adults. I don't think that's too weird.
  • Options
    LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    How young adults can be a parents for a teens? In real life it is a very rare situation. Young adults are the people between approx. 20-35 years old. Teens 13-20. How young Sims can have such old children than?

Well a 16 year old can have a baby, and have a teenager of 16 when she's 32.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • Options
    CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    According to some of these age ranges I'm a young adult who's a parent to a young adult, I'm 38 and my eldest is 19, so a young adult being a parent to a teen is not at all weird, don't know why it would be seen as such tbh (esp if you consider a young adult to be some one under 40)