Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Journey to Batuu Price? $5 more in Canada on Origin?

13...Next

Comments

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Just as I suspected, $5 more for a game pack no one asked for...

It actually depends where you live, in the US and most of Europe and Great Britain whose currencies generally track pretty close to the US dollar it’s the same price, but in other areas like Canada, Brazil, and Argentina and others the price has gone up, not because of EA but a shift in exchange rates between theUS dollar and other currencies.

I'm confused because all Game Packs for me cost $25 CAD but Journey to Batuu is $30 CAD?

The exchange rate has shifted and the CAD is currently worth a little less than the USD. Right now if I came up into Canada with $1 USD and made an exchange, I would get $1.32 CAD. So multiplied out $19.99 USD = $26.31 CAD then you add taxes and tariffs and that how you get to $35 CAD. You’re money is currently valued about 32 cents less than ours, so when the price is converted it’s costing you that extra 32 cents per dollar to equate the value.

The same is true for Brazil and Argentina where I saw 2 others posted from wondering about increased price. On the flip side the British Pound and the Euro are worth slightly more than the US dollar right now. In Britain if I exchanged my $1 USD I would get .77 cents back, and in Europe I would get only .85 cents back. Thus those posters are actually reporting a slight reduction in price.

EA changed their pricing structure a couple of years back I believe, and instead of just charging $9.99 Stuff Packs $19.99 Game Packs and $39.99 Expansion Packs no matter what your currency is, to basing it on global currency exchange rates. So when you see the price of packs fluctuate in different countries it’s not EA manipulation it’s fluctuations in the world currency markets based on the value of your currency against the value of the US dollar which is EAs home currency.

The reason your pack price was steady for awhile is because the value for your currency was holding steady in relation to the value of the US dollar, but I saw an article this last weekend that that all shifted a bit. Without doubt it will eventually shift back again at some point.

@Pamtastic72 This isn't about the fluctating price. It's the fact that the sw pack costs more than all other game packs at the same time. If the price was fluctuating for currency exchange only, the pack would still be the same as other game packs and they'd ALL go up, or ALL go down. But this particular pack costs more than the rest of the game packs.

Well since I can’t see your screen I don’t know what to say, because game packs in the US are always $19.99 and this one is $19.99. It might be that once the pack is offered at current exchange rate that’s the price and if the exchange rate changes prior to release of a new pack the new pack price reflects that. So the previous packs came out when the exchange rate was more steady and offered at that price and remain at that price, and now the rate has changed and the price of this new pack reflects that change. That’s the only thing I can think of.

The prices wouldn’t all go up or down necessarily, they would go up and down based on the value of the purchasing party’s currency against the value of the selling party’s currency.

As I said earlier a US dollar in Britain and the EU is only worth 77 cents, so they’re seeing a decrease in the price, but for Canada you need $1.32 to equal $1 USD so you see an increase in price. If that makes sense.
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    edited September 2020
    More Expensive

It actually depends where you live, in the US and most of Europe and Great Britain whose currencies generally track pretty close to the US dollar it’s the same price, but in other areas like Canada, Brazil, and Argentina and others the price has gone up, not because of EA but a shift in exchange rates between theUS dollar and other currencies.

I'm confused because all Game Packs for me cost $25 CAD but Journey to Batuu is $30 CAD?

The exchange rate has shifted and the CAD is currently worth a little less than the USD. Right now if I came up into Canada with $1 USD and made an exchange, I would get $1.32 CAD. So multiplied out $19.99 USD = $26.31 CAD then you add taxes and tariffs and that how you get to $35 CAD. You’re money is currently valued about 32 cents less than ours, so when the price is converted it’s costing you that extra 32 cents per dollar to equate the value.

The same is true for Brazil and Argentina where I saw 2 others posted from wondering about increased price. On the flip side the British Pound and the Euro are worth slightly more than the US dollar right now. In Britain if I exchanged my $1 USD I would get .77 cents back, and in Europe I would get only .85 cents back. Thus those posters are actually reporting a slight reduction in price.

EA changed their pricing structure a couple of years back I believe, and instead of just charging $9.99 Stuff Packs $19.99 Game Packs and $39.99 Expansion Packs no matter what your currency is, to basing it on global currency exchange rates. So when you see the price of packs fluctuate in different countries it’s not EA manipulation it’s fluctuations in the world currency markets based on the value of your currency against the value of the US dollar which is EAs home currency.

The reason your pack price was steady for awhile is because the value for your currency was holding steady in relation to the value of the US dollar, but I saw an article this last weekend that that all shifted a bit. Without doubt it will eventually shift back again at some point.

@Pamtastic72 This isn't about the fluctating price. It's the fact that the sw pack costs more than all other game packs at the same time. If the price was fluctuating for currency exchange only, the pack would still be the same as other game packs and they'd ALL go up, or ALL go down. But this particular pack costs more than the rest of the game packs.

Well since I can’t see your screen I don’t know what to say, because game packs in the US are always $19.99 and this one is $19.99. It might be that once the pack is offered at current exchange rate that’s the price and if the exchange rate changes prior to release of a new pack the new pack price reflects that. So the previous packs came out when the exchange rate was more steady and offered at that price and remain at that price, and now the rate has changed and the price of this new pack reflects that change. That’s the only thing I can think of.

The prices wouldn’t all go up or down necessarily, they would go up and down based on the value of the purchasing party’s currency against the value of the selling party’s currency.

As I said earlier a US dollar in Britain and the EU is only worth 77 cents, so they’re seeing a decrease in the price, but for Canada you need $1.32 to equal $1 USD so you see an increase in price. If that makes sense.

I still have no clue how to post photos on this website but every Game Pack is $24.99 and Journey to Batuu is $29.99. I understand what you're saying but I have a hard time believing that they would increase the price of only 1 pack because of the current exchange rate. They already increased the prices to match regional dollar values a couple years ago. They aren't going to change the prices every time the exchange rate changes. Plus, the price on Steam is $24.99 still but again, I don't have my Sims 4 games on Steam.

It's like if all of the sudden in the U.S. Journey to Batuu was released for $24.99 instead of $19.99. I'm sure everyone there would be just as confused haha
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited September 2020

I still have no clue how to post photos on this website but every Game Pack is $24.99 and Journey to Batuu is $29.99. I understand what you're saying but I have a hard time believing that they would increase the price of only 1 pack because of the current exchange rate. They already increased the prices to match regional dollar values a couple years ago. They aren't going to change the prices every time the exchange rate changes. Plus, the price on Steam is $24.99 still but again, I don't have my Sims 4 games on Steam.

It's like if all of the sudden in the U.S. Journey to Batuu was released for $24.99 instead of $19.99. I'm sure everyone there would be just as confused haha
    They could have increased it like someone said Katy Perry Sweet Treats was 10 dollars more for the sims 3. Maybe they increased the price because its a Star Wars pack though that would be weird because I only paid 20 dollars for it and I like in the US.
    Actually you are technically only being overcharged 3 dollars if you lived in the US it would be 20 you are paying 23 in US money
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    More Expensive

@Pamtastic72

The OTHER Game packs increased on Origin for the exchange rate the correct amount that matches the exchange rate. $26 before taxes. This was a recent increase with the fluctuating dollar. (They are still the $25 price on Steam though)

The SW pack is still more. It is $30 before taxes. Which is closer to $23 US as the before tax price for both.
  • wingweaver84wingweaver84 Posts: 81 Member
    Just don't buy it if you don't like it. Plain and simple.
    A friendly reminder that Project Rene has not yet been confirmed as Sims 5.
  • suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    More Expensive
    I read this and had to check it out and yes Journey to Batuu is five dollars more. Might as well say $30. before taxes. This game is getting too expensive for me. I'm glad I have no interest in this pack but am worried about future packs.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
    More Expensive
    I paid CA$31.49 after taxes. Whatever, I'm happy to support TS4. I also like a lot of the clothes, hairstyles, build objects, etc. For the new world, I'm sure it will come in handy for some storytelling.
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    More Expensive
    I had started another topic about this on release night, its very much confirmed that for whatever reason this back costs $29.99 in Canada and Canada is the ONLY Country that has to pay $5 extra for it. All other gamepacks are 24.99 in Canada.

I'm assuming it has sometihng to do with licensing the Star Wars brand in Canada? No idea honestly but I don't see why we need to pay an extra $5 when nobody else in the world has to.
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    More Expensive

Unless you're going to provide helpful feedback, I'd appreciate it if you kept comments such as this to yourself. I haven't said anything in this thread about not liking the pack or not wanting it. I'm asking about why it's more expensive.

I'm so tired of these forums having snarky comments from people that don't contribute to the conversation. I'm old enough to know if I don't want something I don't have to buy it.

If you don't have anything nice to say than don't say anything at all. Plain and simple.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    More Expensive
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    I had started another topic about this on release night, its very much confirmed that for whatever reason this back costs $29.99 in Canada and Canada is the ONLY Country that has to pay $5 extra for it. All other gamepacks are 24.99 in Canada.

I'm assuming it has sometihng to do with licensing the Star Wars brand in Canada? No idea honestly but I don't see why we need to pay an extra $5 when nobody else in the world has to.

@Tolkien The price of other game packs has gone up for me too in Canada (on Origin, not Steam) ... but not as high as the SW one. Have you checked yours? Mine went up to $25.99 for older packs sometime this past week. Apparently they go up and down to this price fluctuating (found several sources for this from a couple years ago when people had them go up to this price ad then back down but now back up...)

But yeah, SW is more regardless of the fluctuation.

G7opxvR.jpg
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited September 2020
    What? The normal price of a GP is $25.99 for me. Did you make a typo? Or are they really charging people different prices?

I’ve read somewhere a while ago that companies sometimes charge people different prices for the same items based on what they think you are willing to pay. So for me, the price has only gone up $4.00 to $29.99.

For me, the prices were all increased starting with Landry Day:

EPs increased from $39.99 to $51.99
    GPs increased from $19.99 to $25.99
    SPs increased from $9.99 to $12.99

and have stayed the same since. No fluctuating. Until the $4.00 increase for this GP.

Post edited by g01denswan on
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2020
    Traditional Price
    I paid £17.99 to buy it from Origin which, so far as I can remember, is the usual price for a GP in the UK...

Just looked up the exchange rate and £17.99 is equivalent to $23.44 (USD)
  • wingweaver84wingweaver84 Posts: 81 Member

Unless you're going to provide helpful feedback, I'd appreciate it if you kept comments such as this to yourself. I haven't said anything in this thread about not liking the pack or not wanting it. I'm asking about why it's more expensive.

I'm so tired of these forums having snarky comments from people that don't contribute to the conversation. I'm old enough to know if I don't want something I don't have to buy it.

If you don't have anything nice to say than don't say anything at all. Plain and simple.

I was not trying to be snarky,and I'm sorry if that's how I came off. I was just expressing my opinion.
    A friendly reminder that Project Rene has not yet been confirmed as Sims 5.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »

This may be a result of tariffs between the US and Canada.