Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason I'll be harder on Sims than Paralives.

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2020
    If Paralives does real well it will definitely be an power changer and if that happens and looking at what EA/Maxis did with previous franchises they just may close shop on the Sims series and turn it over to Patreon. Look at what happened to Sim Cities 2013, EA/Maxis gave that up and did not even put up an fight and now Paradox has Cities Skyline and made it successful.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I am really excited about Paralives. I have it on my wishlist for Steam.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I am really excited about Paralives. I have it on my wishlist for Steam.

Me too,can't wait until it's finished.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    I think some are Ea a fault, and some team fault.I mean EA was the one who wanted this to be originally an online game.Than retool it to be Sims4.Also they were probably in charge of the deadline.Giving them a short time.They should gave them least two more years.

Why I think sims teams made some mistakes that ended up making it worst.Like not having toddlers in the base game at launch.Not having an open world, because they felt like you can be more intimate with your sims being a close world.

Frank G. (in an article) stated Maxis picked it's own deadline for the release of the TS4 base. He also stated Lucy Bradshaw came to them with the idea of SC as an online multiplayer. Something Maxis had wanted to explore for many years. It wasn't EA who pulled the plug on a multiplayer for TS4, it was the outrage of fans who complained so loudly when they heard the rumors, and the outrage and refunding of SC2013 that Maxis decided to pull the plug on TS4 multiplayer. They had already been in development since around 2010 knowing no one wanted one as the main game. Spin off, ok, main game, no. But when EA had to start refunding SC 2013 (and they did) they all agreed TS4 should be a single player offline game, but with a twist, (Live Service usually reserved for MMOs) it would have to be maintained online so they could get the player data and use that like any other app does today. If it's true TS4 was in development since 2010 it had it's four years of development, it isn't EA total fault they wasted about three of those building a multiplayer no one wanted, and had around 1 1/2 years to finish. (redo/salvage) Lucy Bradshaw wanted to explore those things for years.

lol, I have to wonder did Rachel see the development of these Sims, (like Paralives is showing us their work bit by bit) and or was she just shown a marketing trailer like we see and then was able to say 'these Sims knock her socks off'. It seems she had never seen Sims before if anyone thought they were that special unless it was a marketing trailer/video.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Can you imagine what Paralives will be given time? Right out of the gate it sounds better than sims4, and that is just starting out. I wish it wasn't t for teen but you can't have everything.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member

I'd advertise it as a life simulator, but I'd also advertise things like Animal Crossing as a life simulator and no one runs around chatting with animals irl haha. I just think that people have to be aware of the LEVEL it simulates life or something...

I think a big problem is also that there are no other good "life-simulators" like there are action games so you can pick the one that suits you best. With action games I can reject a game because I dislike the graphics and play another one or if I want an action game with more stealth than front-face shooting I can find one but I can't do that with life simulators like the Sims because there aren't any other.
    I wish we had more games to choose from so people who want deep personalities can have a game to play and people who want open-world have another title they can play and people who like The Sims 4 can stick with it. But because of this monopoly situation we all want different things yet there is only one game.
    Ah. :D Haven't played it yet. Would you recommend it? I already know the answer.

Hehe. lol :wink:

Yes, you're right. The problem is there is nothing else to go to, yet.
  • LiefLief Posts: 108 Member
    The reason I'm going to be less hard, and more forgiving on Paralives.Is because the Paralives team is small, and it's new.Why the sims team is not small, has more funds.The franchise is 20 years.And I think the reason why people are hard on Sims 4,and franchise.Is because it has been 20 years.It feels the game hasn't made the progress for 20 years old

hmmm i love your profile wanna HANG out togther see what i did there anyways ibuki i agree with you becuase paralives is a indie game and the sims have proved that in sims 3 and sims 2 that its a good franchise but its werid its like the order of the games being created in terms of goodness and fun mechanics i guess is sims 1 ,sims 4,sims 2, sims 3
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    I've seen more improvement in paralives than I have seen in sims and sims is 20 years old. We're still buying the same tired expansions that should be base game material by now, corners have been cut, bugs, missing core gameplay etc. Meanwhile paralives has a height slider, how many times and for how long has the sims community pleaded for a height slider? But this little game with what 2 or 3 people working on it have done so. Ea is billionaire company, cant give you lounge chairs or functional game without bugs but they give you a tv show you didn't ask for. Problem is we tend to rush the things and want them immediat, that's why ea rushed sims 4. we just need to give them as much time as they need. A rushed game is bad, but a delayed game can only get better.

It's much easier when you have previous games to learn your trade on isn't it? What we need is something quite new and encompasses every thing we want in a sandbox game. I'm willing to wait and willing to throw money all over such a one again as I have done for the Sims games over the past 20 + years.

@Scobre I've got Sim Ant and 2000 in a cupboard somewhere too and a first generation x box I bought to play Urbz ............etc., etc. though that needed a new plug as the first was deemed unsafe....... I'm wondering if anybody would like them locally now, plus loads of manuals for games Sims 1 to 3 I no longer play. I need to unhoard! :#
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    I have Paralives on my wish list on Steam and can't wait for it to become available.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I've seen more improvement in paralives than I have seen in sims and sims is 20 years old. We're still buying the same tired expansions that should be base game material by now, corners have been cut, bugs, missing core gameplay etc. Meanwhile paralives has a height slider, how many times and for how long has the sims community pleaded for a height slider? But this little game with what 2 or 3 people working on it have done so. Ea is billionaire company, cant give you lounge chairs or functional game without bugs but they give you a tv show you didn't ask for. Problem is we tend to rush the things and want them immediat, that's why ea rushed sims 4. we just need to give them as much time as they need. A rushed game is bad, but a delayed game can only get better.

It's much easier when you have previous games to learn your trade on isn't it? What we need is something quite new and encompasses every thing we want in a sandbox game. I'm willing to wait and willing to throw money all over such a one again as I have done for the Sims games over the past 20 + years.

@Scobre I've got Sim Ant and 2000 in a cupboard somewhere too and a first generation x box I bought to play Urbz ............etc., etc. though that needed a new plug as the first was deemed unsafe....... I'm wondering if anybody would like them locally now, plus loads of manuals for games Sims 1 to 3 I no longer play. I need to unhoard! :#

That is awesome. I wish I had played Sim Ant and the Urbz. I wish they would bring the Urbz back, fun art design with that game. With fires around me, thinking my Sims 1 and 2 disks might go up in flames if the fires get too close. Actually interesting among these disasters you start to appreciate what is important to you or not and whether having a tangible game is a good thing. My Sims 2-4 games will be ok since digital, just got to back up the saves to the cloud again. My dad has a dark sense of humor like me and is like let our house burn. We have our go bags and emergency kits ready because we were getting them ready earlier this year when covid started happening.

Anyways I am a sandbox player too and yes why I think acknowledging older games is good. Each iteration has its pros and cons and acknowledging them helps a company grow by seeing what things worked and what things didn't the past 20 years. I do like that about Stardew Valley is yes there is a story in some way, but the paths to get there change each time. Probably why I like playing in my ultimate sandbox with Minecraft too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    If I was in the Paralives team I‘d be 🐸🐸🐸🐸 my pants tbh. Sure, people now say that they‘d be very forgiving because the game was made by a small indie team but when they actually have the game in their hands it will be totally different. Then they‘ll be like „Why can‘t we have mods in Paralives? The Sims has mods“, „Why do Parafolks speak so weird? Why don‘t they have their own language like in the Sims?“, „Uugh, the parafolks look like characters from a cheap mobile game. The Sims has a way better art style“. Paralives fans need to be honest if they want the game to be a success. Giving the team a false sense of safety isn‘t helping.

I honestly see Paralives as even more woke than The Sims 4 and trying too hard to be a safe space rather than a fun game so I have not much hope.

I‘m going to give them a chance once the game releases if the reviews are positive but I don‘t have enough faith in the project to give them my money anymore.

I‘m more excited about the secret project of Rod Humble and Paradox (I really hope it‘s a life sim).
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    If I was in the Paralives team I‘d be 🌺🌺🌺🌺 my pants tbh. Sure, people now say that they‘d be very forgiving because the game was made by a small indie team but when they actually have the game in their hands it will be totally different. Then they‘ll be like „Why can‘t we have mods in Paralives? The Sims has mods“, „Why do Parafolks speak so weird? Why don‘t they have their own language like in the Sims?“, „Uugh, the parafolks look like characters from a cheap mobile game. The Sims has a way better art style“. Paralives fans need to be honest if they want the game to be a success. Giving the team a false sense of safety isn‘t helping.

I honestly see Paralives as even more woke than The Sims 4 and trying too hard to be a safe space rather than a fun game so I have not much hope.

I‘m going to give them a chance once the game releases if the reviews are positive but I don‘t have enough faith in the project to give them my money anymore.

I‘m more excited about the secret project of Rod Humble and Paradox (I really hope it‘s a life sim).

I just read that interview again from PCGames talking to Rod Humble, at Paradox Tectonics and I am now getting excited for it because the interviewer asked:
    When might we hear more?

I’ve been told to officially say ‘soon’. It’s not going to be years down the road, so: soon.
    https://pcgamesn.com/paradox-tectonic-new-game-rod-humble
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    If I was in the Paralives team I‘d be 🌺🌺🌺🌺 my pants tbh. Sure, people now say that they‘d be very forgiving because the game was made by a small indie team but when they actually have the game in their hands it will be totally different. Then they‘ll be like „Why can‘t we have mods in Paralives? The Sims has mods“, „Why do Parafolks speak so weird? Why don‘t they have their own language like in the Sims?“, „Uugh, the parafolks look like characters from a cheap mobile game. The Sims has a way better art style“. Paralives fans need to be honest if they want the game to be a success. Giving the team a false sense of safety isn‘t helping.

I just read that interview again from PCGames talking to Rod Humble, at Paradox Tectonics and I am now getting excited for it because the interviewer asked:
    When might we hear more?

I’ve been told to officially say ‘soon’. It’s not going to be years down the road, so: soon.

You know, Paradox hasn't put on PDXcon yet this year. Last year's was in October. Maybe they will announce something then if they host a digital version this October? But maybe this Covid-19 may delay it a bit. However devs are still posting their progress in their games' respective diaries so it shouldn't be too much of a hindrance.

• SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member

I have to agree that the art style in Sims 4 is pretty good although if I'm honest I have become a bit fed up with the clunky appearance of everything. I would like to have seen a more normal appearance without everything being so chunky and big. It's a nice style to be sure but it's the ONLY style which tends to wear a bit thin for me over time.

And I agree that there is a possibility that Paralives might offer things that are not quite to my taste. However, if Paralives offers more customisation then it will get my vote every time. Sims 4 is apparently supposed to represent life, but it doesn't actually do that. What it does represent more (and is limited to) is the developers' way of life which is not quite the same thing. If Paralives offers an open world, town editing and size and colour customisation, it will win me over hands down. And if it also offers the options to turn animations into a story line I can imagine for myself rather than animations which lead in only one direction (the devs' direction) then I don't think I will ever open Sims again.

Now if the Sims team ever step up to the mark (for me personally) then I will look at the game again. Until then, it has lost my interest.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member

When might we hear more?

If its a life simulator it sounds like its going to be amazing he was involved in Sims 2 so he's got my full trust cant wait to hear more on this its from March wonder how much longer is the wait for soon.

Also I like this quote this mindset has truly been lost in Sims games and everyone can see it. "I asked Will Wright what he'd take away from The Sims; he gave me a pitying look and said "I would add more"

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

When might we hear more?

Also I like this quote this mindset has truly been lost in Sims games and everyone can see it. "I asked Will Wright what he'd take away from The Sims; he gave me a pitying look and said "I would add more"

Love that! :lol:
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • JokubasJokubas Posts: 100 Member
    I didn't know about Paralives until coming here.

Considering how often the Sims is brought up as a record-breaking game franchise, it's always confused me that it's never had any serious imitators. A few have popped up here and there, but they're usually super cheap cash-ins that never even really tried to serve the same level of experience.

It's nice to see this, but I'm not sold yet. Just taking my first glance, something is rubbing me the wrong way with the screenshots, but I can't place it. The lighting is nice and shows how outdated the Sims 4 is, but I can't shake this nagging feeling about the rest.

As per the thread, I'll definitely give the team leeway, but if the game doesn't have what I like, then I won't buy it, even if I understand why it doesn't have those things.
    I posted something similar in my TS5 thread but I want to post it for Paralives as well:

I'm posting all this to get ready for anyone considering modding for Paralives which is made with the Unity Engine:

1) Fanatical is celebrating International Day of the Programmer with a FREE 3-book bundle! This is a limited time offer so please get it soon! You have only four days left as of the time of this posting.

It features three programming languages, but for Paralives, it has "Beginning C++ Game Programming - Second Edition". It will teach you C++ while building several games! So not only will you learn the language but coding as it pertains to development of games!

2) If you get the free bundle, you will also receive a 20% off coupon for other Packt bundles at Fanatical. There are a lot of great bundles but here are two that could help with modding for the game (or even get you to create your own life simulation game, lol!)

One of the books is just like the free C++ beginner's book except it teaches C#, which is used extensively in Unity and learn to use Unity at the same time! The rest of the books are useful to learn the different aspects of Unity so you can develop great, optimized games and mods.

3) C++ is always good to know! You never know when you need it.

As I had mentioned before, there are other great Packt bundles you can look through and consider purchasing, but I think these are the most pertinent to modding Paralives.

PS: Little Sim World is made with Unity too so the Unity bundle can come in handy for if and when the creator allows modding his game!

• dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I posted something similar in my TS5 thread but I want to post it for Paralives as well:

I'm posting all this to get ready for anyone considering modding for Paralives which is made with the Unity Engine:

1) Fanatical is celebrating International Day of the Programmer with a FREE 3-book bundle! This is a limited time offer so please get it soon! You have only four days left as of the time of this posting.

It features three programming languages, but for Paralives, it has "Beginning C++ Game Programming - Second Edition". It will teach you C++ while building several games! So not only will you learn the language but coding as it pertains to development of games!

2) If you get the free bundle, you will also receive a 20% off coupon for other Packt bundles at Fanatical. There are a lot of great bundles but here are two that could help with modding for the game (or even get you to create your own life simulation game, lol!)

One of the books is just like the free C++ beginner's book except it teaches C#, which is used extensively in Unity and learn to use Unity at the same time! The rest of the books are useful to learn the different aspects of Unity so you can develop great, optimized games and mods.

As I had mentioned before, there are other great Packt bundles you can look through and consider purchasing, but I think these are the most pertinent to modding Paralives.

PS: Little Sim World is made with Unity too so the Unity bundle can come in handy for if and when the creator allows modding his game!

Did Alex change his mind? I‘m 100% certain he said that script mods will not be supported. If you want to create custom content for Paralived then better learn Blender.

Did Alex change his mind? I‘m 100% certain he said that script mods will not be supported. If you want to create custom content for Paralived then better learn Blender.

Script modding isn't planned at the moment, but I got the impression that it would be allowed eventually. I think he just has to finish the game first. How can anyone mod a game if it's not even finished yet?

• knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    The reason I'm going to be less hard, and more forgiving on Paralives.Is because the Paralives team is small, and it's new.Why the sims team is not small, has more funds.The franchise is 20 years.And I think the reason why people are hard on Sims 4,and franchise.Is because it has been 20 years.It feels the game hasn't made the progress for 20 years old

City Skylines was small and made a ton of money - where SimCity 2013, basically was killed by their arrogance.

I think you are right - 20+ years is a long time to get it right and the Sims 1 got it right the first time and for some reason, they have gone backwards.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020

I recently read his statements about the subject (what he can reveal. It was not much) but it seems Ron Humble still doesn't get the point of The Sims to me. He is talking about fifteen different fish (to catch) rather than life simulators. He is talking depth in a way I don't think is necessary for a life simulator. Such as ten levels of fishing.....I don't know, how does that portray the human condition? It doesn't, it's just more RPG mindset to me. His 'depth' isn't the same as my idea of depth in gameplay.

ETA: I think way back to when he was over TS3, and he asked Wright what he would remove, and he told him nothing, he would add more, I think Mr. Humble's mind went directly to goals, levels, depth in RPGness. I don't think the light bulb went off in his head at all.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    If Paralives does real well it will definitely be an power changer and if that happens and looking at what EA/Maxis did with previous franchises they just may close shop on the Sims series and turn it over to Patreon. Look at what happened to Sim Cities 2013, EA/Maxis gave that up and did not even put up an fight and now Paradox has Cities Skyline and made it successful.

YES.
  • wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    i have been in forums for three of the four sims games ...seldom did folks discuss what was good and what was in need of changing and what was not working at all ...folks can be very vocal in what they expect and what they hate ...it seems harder to discuss what folks would keep ..change....get rid of....for any game ..i wonder if sims 5 will be more like sims 3 minus the routing issues...i have no idea why sims 3 was such a challenge to various players but the concept was wonderful