Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims game for Builders - Cross Between SimCity & the Sims

troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
I would be happy if the next iteration of the Sims was a release targeted to builders where you don't have to control the Sims. A cross between SimCity and the Sims but focused on building lots as well as manipulating the terrain and managing interconnected worlds but not like how you managed a city in SimCity.

Something where we have unique building tools can create rounded walls etc. Just a haven for builders and then we can determine the type of world - geek, hippy, spiritual, magic, Eco, whatever, and the game moves in sims that occupies the builds and we watch what happens. We can determine disaster protocol, but don't need to micromanage.

I just want to build, Safaris, homes, corporate centers, marine worlds, just build.

what y'all think?
wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
Post edited by EA_Rtas on

Comments

• NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited September 2020
    So basically like a more micro-view level of SimCity and a more macro-view level of The Sims?

I'm torn because I did enjoy the SimCity games (I even played a lot of the 2013 version), and I enjoy the building and management type of game. But I also do still enjoy controlling Sims. Right now, one of my saves is basically me playing out a city/civilization builder but having my Sim be directly responsible for how the civilization develops. I would love to be able to build all kinds of worlds, but I think I would miss that element of being able to control a Sim as they interact with the world too.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    @NationalPokedex some level of control, but not micromanaging - go to the bathroom, go eat, study your opponents on the computer. Just high level stuff. But yeah a cross.

Like I would love to build a cliff house and design the entire environment around it. Determine if it is a city or small village and then let it grow as I design element around the town. Sims can move in - maybe click into a home or commercial lot and see what is going on, set some things in motion, but not granular like controlling the sims in The Sims
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Sims 4 is a game for builders. As much as I enjoy building, once in a while I build something I want to play in. The sims are my challenge, my reason. Sims 3 had a world-builder you could download to create the actual land you put the lots in. It was a download, not part of the game itself, but people could create their own worlds for the game. Ah, that would be so much fun! And then I'd want to play in it. For a little while, before I got bored and went back to building... Perhaps the issue isn't separating the sims from the building, it's making the sims more interesting.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    I wouldn't like it. I made the mistake of buying Sim City, and thought it was so horrible that I uninstalled it from my computer after just 3 days. I like having certain things pre-made for me so I don't have to worry about it
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm kind of playing like that... i've set all my worlds to my liking. Each world has a lot trait that sets the character of the world. The same for each neighbourhood. Each neighbourhood also has a specific nap. I've created clubs for each community lot, so that a specific vibe is set. Then i play all the sims in the world in no order or schedulle. I cheat their needs so i don't have to do the same basic stuff over and over. I just play the stories and big happenings in the community. It's being fun.
    Post edited by texxx78 on
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    While I would love to have more build tools, I also enjoy decorating my homes and creating a sim for them. I always have in my mind the personality and type of sim who will live in the house I'm building.

I wouldn't like not being able to actually decorate INSIDE of the buildings. I don't think in a city builder you do that, I've never actually played those games because I have no desire to "run the city". Although there are some beautiful looking builds and cities and worlds people make in those games.
    @Nate_Whiplash1 I started in the Sims ecosystem from SimCity 4 which I loved and wished they had created more expansion packs for it. I like SimCity, but they abandoned it and killed the one aspect of the game which I loved, and that was being able to expand the city's footprint. Plus someone is a pyromaniac, because they like for you to build the city and let it burn to the ground.

Nah, the game I am describing would be a variant of the two games - allows you to design the entire world but also create lots too.

@phantasmkiss I didn't say TS4 wasn't a game for builders. The game concept I am describing is building beyond the lot to building the world.
    TS3 World builder tool is for programmers - I am talking about a game that end users can play without having to code it. And a game that isn't buggy and laggy and built on a modern game engine.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    If you just want to build you should play Cities: Skylines or other building games. I love watching Flabaliki (aka James Turner) play other games.
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    If you just want to build you should play Cities: Skylines or other building games. I love watching Flabaliki (aka James Turner) play other games.

Raptor is another great channel for building cities and stuff.
    troshalom wrote: »
    @Nate_Whiplash1 I started in the Sims ecosystem from SimCity 4 which I loved and wished they had created more expansion packs for it. I like SimCity, but they abandoned it and killed the one aspect of the game which I loved, and that was being able to expand the city's footprint. Plus someone is a pyromaniac, because they like for you to build the city and let it burn to the ground.

Nah, the game I am describing would be a variant of the two games - allows you to design the entire world but also create lots too.

@phantasmkiss I didn't say TS4 wasn't a game for builders. The game concept I am describing is building beyond the lot to building the world.
    TS3 World builder tool is for programmers - I am talking about a game that end users can play without having to code it. And a game that isn't buggy and laggy and built on a modern game engine.

Okay I see what you mean now. Sort of like being able to zoom in on a city builder game while also still being able to zoom back out.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    This sounds like SimVille, which was in development for a while but was abandoned -- Sims 2 was in development at the time, and SimCity 4's dev work had probably started. I always thought the SimVille connection was why SimCity 4 had interesting features like being able to import Sims from TS1, then monitor their progress as they went about their lives in the city and advanced in their job (or just complained endlessly about the commute or the schools, in my case).
    @AnnLee87 those games don't allow you to build lots you just determine the infrastructure of the city, plop down premades and manage the city. Different from what I described.
  • ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    I am definitely a builder, I feel like the Sims 4 is still the best for me. I like the idea of doing like a Sims City where you can create the entire town but everynow and then I do like to play as my sims too. Although I do wish there were a lot more options for Build/Buy
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    There are building games like Eco and Minecraft. I enjoy building in No Man's Sky too. Closest game to SimCity is City Skylines and Cities XL.

Some other games like SimCity:
    https://store.steampowered.com/recommended/morelike/app/24780/

Games like the Sims 4:
    https://store.steampowered.com/recommended/morelike/app/1222670/

One game I would highly recommend especially if you have a console, a laptop, or a mobile device is Stardew Valley which lets you build a farm and raise a family and build a home and collect and fish and mine.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    That shouldn't be the next iteration in The Sims. It should be either a spin off or an entirely new IP.

@ClarionOfJoy Exactly - a different game, which is why I called it a Sims game for builders
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    @ClarionOfJoy Exactly - a different game, which is why I called it a Sims game for builders

Yeah, but you wanted it to be the next iteration in the main The Sims series:
    I would be happy if the next iteration of the Sims was a release targeted to builders....

Maybe you might have meant a spin-off or new IP instead.

• SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I think a spinoff would be best, allowing more build and interior design features, and as many furnishings, appliances, and decorations as possible.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I would love a Sims Game to be based of both World Builders & Civilization V.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    What I would like is a combination between Simcity and The Sims. Simcity with the ability to create your towns and develop new areas with cities and to be able to select one family and control their every day life within the city/town/rural area while interacting with other sims within that town. Assets could include retail outlets, commercial and industrial districts with places that our sims could go to work much like in the Sims but on a larger scale. You could have the option of keeping the development small...(keeping it a small village or grow it into a town or a large scale city) while your sims go about their daily lives with you controlling them as in the Sims (with the interactions the same) the only thing is that you now get to control the growth of your "village"/town/city. Build your city the way YOU want it to look. Take it from a small village of about 10 or 15 families to a city of hundreds of thousands...though of course...when you go into interact mode...the rest of the non-active become NPCs and the only NPCs that you can have actions with are the ones that you directly interact with; the rest go about their daily business like "passerbys" - just as you do in real life except that each one that you approach...will convert to interactive NPCs not decorations like in TS4. You only have to initiate interaction as a trigger for that particular NPC to become an NPC that is interactive and when that interaction is no longer taking place, it will go back to being passive...with the computer controlling what it does, where it goes and Story Progression.

Like in Simcity...you can conduct trade with other computer controlled cities...and build airports, train-stations, and other amenities that will be conducive to trade and increasing the value of your town and increasing what is in your city coffers. As well you have your own family wealth to monitor. Your sim can start a business or buy one of the businesses in the town and run it.

That would be my ideal idea of Sims 5; a mixture of Simcity and to be able to play your Sims within that city with a vibrant interactive
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims already have building tools, especially in Sims 3 and some of Sims 2.

I don’t like building or decorating much, so I want to make sure the focus is more on the simulation of Sims than on just building, though I welcome and encourage for the inclusion of all of the creative tools.

But, I don’t want Sims to be just a SimCity. I play Sims for the Sims. I don’t want to be a mayor managing a big city.

A civilization or city managing game should be a separate game, not a main iteration of the Sims.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Well the Sims is supposed to be about the Sims' lives (though the sims 4 is very focused on building), so it would be very off-brand for them to release a pure building game.

A cross between the two however is an idea I'd be into and I talked about this in a thread about the game Simsville https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/981803/what-is-simsville-and-ideas-for-the-sims-5#latest
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    This type of game would remind me of Mall Tycoon. It wasn't about controlling what was sold, and or what each individual store would need such as in other type tycoon games but what the player could build. Build a mall. Design a mall, but not control what was sold and or any menus to set prices and or types of goods. It was all about building then sitting back and watching 'agents' go through it into rabbit hole (some) stores and could only decorate within the mall or outside. You had to make money to get enough to build more stores inside the mall but you weren't in control of picking the type of goods. Like Game Stop was a special cube you earned after so long of doing whatever.

It was a game about building nothing more and earning enough (depending on big box stores to help support smaller shops) to build bigger and better malls. It was also a challenge game requiring you to build such and such type malls and floors. However, there was a sandbox side where the same rules applied (money) but build whatever type you wanted. Same difference with this idea here. Just watch little people go in and out and carry bags and you could zoom in and watch but not much to see, other than running around the mall and rating the enviornment (decorations, types of stores etc.) is what they sort of did. And of course having to hire more mall security when gangs showed up to ruin it all.
    If you didn't have enough security they just kept coming and tearing down everything.

I'm not sure I would want to sit back and not be able to control Sims. I don't think I want to play tycoon games and or just build in The Sims. I don't mind it in other games but Sims are why The Sims is so popular.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    edited September 2020
    No town stays the same in real life. And if we are supposed to believe in the Sims living through generations; then let the town grow with them. For example - A new shop opens up in the city center...so your Sims have new pie-menu choices. Shop at Store A which sells such and such goods...that opens up new gameplay options. Your sim can go and shop at a store and buy goods that he or she can use at home (which you control placement of and interactions with) just like you currently do in the Sims.

Frankly controlling "all your sims" is overrated and frankly isn't possible since you select one sim to interact with at a time even within your "family". Even in today's Sims games, you can only control ONE sim at a time though you can switch between your immediate sims family which gives you the impression that you can control all of them "at one time". You are doing interactions with ONE while the ones you aren't interacting with stand awkwardly around if you have them on low independence.

What I want to see in Sims is a fluid dynamic of how a Sim would interact with a "growing" rural/urban area with increasing options of how your Sims interact with the new facilities; your sims would be controlled by you when and where as it was in previous Sims games...while the NPCs wander about in or out of the new buildings just as they do currently...in the Sims without player control but town development is dynamic and not "pause the game while you go out of your Sims game and go into CAW". This is CAW on steroids within the fluid dynamics of the game. You would end up with assets that are already premade to put down if you don't want to build-your-own; but you can also build your own bus stops...and set up your transportation lines that your Sims will use and your personally controlled Sims will have a pie-menu selection that says "Take Bus to Work; Take bus to venue (open submenu to select from choices); Take bus to Festival lot) and your sim will take the bus to those locations. If they have a vehicle...and you haven't selected your car as the primary mode of transportation and/or they are frugal; they may take the bus. Imagine having to have your Sim family be near a bus-line to efficiently get to work or school on time and have that affect your overall family happiness and how your kids or YA/Adult sims perform at school and work respectively. NOW THAT is realistic.

Placing down airports will allow your sims to travel fluidly to other Sims world destinations and will be reflected in the time difference when your sims that you send to other places reach their destination. If you go to a destination by car. it will reflect that it took a longer time to reach that destination. And some destinations will be greyed out if they aren't in a location that is reachable by vehicle "Sorry you have to have port facilities/airport to reach that destination" Too bad. That's the same as in real-life.

IN this Sims, your "world" will change from the time you start the game to the time that your sims go through ten generations. New stores will pop up... stores will close down and go out of business if they're not being patronized. Imagine how your sims will react if a "favorite store" of theirs suddenly has a "going out of business" sign on the front window. Can you imagine the mood hit? And having to figure out how to get your sim out of its funk. This would be Sims on Steroids.

For too 🐸🐸🐸🐸 long in this newest iteration; Sims has offered up "little gameplay value for massive payout" and I want to see the devs work for their pay this time around in Sims 5. I want to see Sims be able to interact with their community within a growing infrastructure. I want my Sims family to be able to utilize that new infrastructure with pie menus. I want the NPCs to be dynamic and wander about their town utilizing the new infrastructure without having to direct them. Just as in real-life.

The Sims will stay the Sims in this: You can grow your families, you can play your stories...it's just that you will have a wider and more immersive world to work with that doesn't stay stagnant in one place while you are playing your stories. That you will see a growing country farming community or a bustling small town or a big city grow up before your eyes...all the while seeing NPC sims and controlling YOUR sims to interact with that growing community.

I want the Sims to stay true to what made the Sims game (in 1, 2, and 3 - deep gameplay options...no stupid superficial crap to focus on families and gameplay) but the Sims needs to grow; not regress. Push boundaries. Throw new things into the mix. New things that stimulate gameplay.

AND DO A GREAT JOB AT IT. I don't care if it looks impossible to do. You're the ones with computer programming skills. FIND A WAY!

Otherwise, the Sims will wither and die as a franchise.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited September 2020
    Ugh, if our town changes, I would quit. I disliked story progression for a reason.

Give me the optional controls to control my Sims.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)