Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It all makes sense now...

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I'm ignoring all the toxic comments. I prefer to make my own mind up and liked the CAS and objects I saw on a Stream. It's different to the other packs but that's a welcome change for me. We'll probably go back to normal now Disney is out of the picture, so to speak.

I've just sent my elderly witch to Batuu and she's had a ball! We have now completed the first mission and she, wanting to join the Resistance, has got her orders what to do next from their camp. I went by all the rules and I'm enjoying it but probably that's because I grew up on text adventures and this is a refreshing change from her normal life in Glimmerbrook. She got an invitation to join the Renegades from GTW so I'll meet up with them somewhere later.

She has fulfilled all her usual needs in Batuu for the time being but I've sent her home to look after her cat for a bit. It seems like one of the adventures you can go back to from time to time, like daydreams.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    I think you’re a “true Simmer” if you appreciate The Sims as a life simulation game. You happen to like other types of games, too, and you apparently enjoy JtB. Can you just acknowledge that they’re different game styles?
  • bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 Sims 3 did get a lot of backlash. I was not a huge fan of the rabbit holes or the online store. Both of those were the main complaints made about it on the forums.
    HayleeSims wrote: »
    Has anyone seen a star wars player play JTB yet? I would love to see it cause they will surely be disappointed if they have played other Star Wars games. From what I've seen all you do is talk and the majority of the world is set dressing so this game will not attract Star Wars players to The Sims at all and in fact will give the Sims franchise another fandom who will be highly critical of them so I don't know what they were thinking
    @HayleeSims I did watch an interesting video by a Star Wars fan/gamer who might have tried The Sims once before but never got into it. JtB didn’t appeal to him very much at all, here’s the link: https://youtu.be/_jIVDIOMB58

I have a friend who is a massive Star Wars fan and who likes gaming, but thinks of The Sims as a “game for girls” and would not buy it for this.
    What is a "true Simmer" I've played the Sims games from 2000 and don't like this term at all.

I feel this forum is getting to be one of those one sided groups, like those local council night classes sewing groups that I've wanted to join in the past in real life but they have made themselves into a little club and don't want anyone else in.

I don't mind crossovers. There are so many packs now that everyone could choose their own path. Sims 3 had both simulation and adventure and this is just another pack like World Adventures. You don't have to buy them at all.
    Simburian wrote: »
    What is a "true Simmer" I've played the Sims games from 2000 and don't like this term at all.
    All I meant is someone who likes the life simulation gameplay. Sorry the term bothers you or makes you feel like you have to defend what you like. That’s not the point I was trying to make. People either like life simulation gameplay or they don’t, and I would not expect those who don’t like it to enjoy The Sims, and vice versa!
    I don't mind crossovers. There are so many packs now that everyone could choose their own path. Sims 3 had both simulation and adventure and this is just another pack like World Adventures. You don't have to buy them at all.
    JtB isn’t like World Adventures at all. Even Jungle Adventure hardly resembles World Adventures.
    In WA, you could buy a vacation home in 3 different environments and play it like a sandbox. You could ignore all the missions and there was still plenty to explore and collect. We had more control over TS3 that made it a sandbox.

It’s like the developers of JtB had all the fun designing the set and the gameplay, you are just along for the ride.
    babajayne wrote: »
    HayleeSims wrote: »
    Has anyone seen a star wars player play JTB yet? I would love to see it cause they will surely be disappointed if they have played other Star Wars games. From what I've seen all you do is talk and the majority of the world is set dressing so this game will not attract Star Wars players to The Sims at all and in fact will give the Sims franchise another fandom who will be highly critical of them so I don't know what they were thinking
    @HayleeSims I did watch an interesting video by a Star Wars fan/gamer who might have tried The Sims once before but never got into it. JtB didn’t appeal to him very much at all, here’s the link: https://youtu.be/_jIVDIOMB58

I have a friend who is a massive Star Wars fan and who likes gaming, but thinks of The Sims as a “game for girls” and would not buy it for this.

It might appeal to someone younger who isn't very good at gaming yet but wants something Star Wars that isn't something they won't finish. That's what happened to me when younger and I found I didn't like such games. That's why I found The Sims so good for me.

Perhaps he could give one of his younger friends or relatives a copy?
  • pink_coco10pink_coco10 Posts: 54 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    They've also given early access to other EA Game Changers that are not Sims players and play the Star Wars games instead.
    I see no issue in this. It's their strategy to gain more players, just like any other business.
    To be clear, the GP does appeal to me and I will buy it at some point.

Really? Can you give a name or link? I would like to see a non-simmer impression on this collaboration.

Sure, here it is.
    https://youtu.be/_jIVDIOMB58
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »
    TBH, I don't mind, and I think I know about it ever since the announcement. It's part of their marketing strategy. It would be so nice to have new Simmers too. I'm pretty sure each one of us started somewhere too, right?

Besides, they've done the community pack with the Knitting Stuff, so, why can't they expand their target market now?

I personally like this pack and bought it yesterday. Yes, this pack is not for everyone, but, there's still a few Simmers are enjoying the pack.
    If they weren’t “Simmers” before, they’re not now. I don’t want a bunch of new players attracted to this game who are going to request or expect more packs like this one. It’s not within the life simulation genre. And it’s not even done well, from what I’ve seen!

The Sims 3 was the first sims game I ever played and owned. In fact, I only began playing it when it was well in its 3rd year of development.
    Didn't the sims 3 receive a lot of backlash back in the days? Even so, I didn't know about it all those years ago. I bought many packs (on sale) because I really enjoyed it.

But I wasn't a simmer before, so does this mean I wasn't a simmer then? Does it mean I'm not a simmer now? What does being a 'simmer' mean? Can you be a 'simmer' before you buy sims 3, but not after? Can you be a 'simmer' before you buy JtB, but not after?

I did buy the pack (cause me really likes). Does this make me now less of a 'simmer' than someone who did not buy the pack?
    I'm actually interested what folks think about that.

If it took a non-Sims brand crossover to get someone interested in The Sims then I wouldn’t classify them as Sims fan. I mean did you see TS3 diesel stuff and then buy the whole base game?

Grand, here’s my ‘embarrassing’ reason for buying TS3. Should I share it? Sure why the hell not.
    I actually bought TS3 as a starter bundle which included Late Night. It caught my attention because the box art showed this girl in a bikini in a hot tub. It also depicted a seductive vampirella. I honestly thought this was a life simulator aimed at a more mature audience. Never for the life of me did I believe it was for teens...or that it was whatever it is. I wonder how many guys were attracted to this particular DLC...I mean it was called ‘Late Night’...🤔
    Anyone?
    Fine. No one.

Anyway. I may just...go back into my...cave now. o:)

*peeping out*

Glad the game turned out much better than that! It had bands! My favorite thing! BANDS!

*goes back in cave.*

*peeps out once more*

I may have gotten the TS3 starter bundle if a Star Wars DLC was included! Not Diesel. Nah. I don’t really wear that stuff.

*back in cave.*
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    I think you’re a “true Simmer” if you appreciate The Sims as a life simulation game. You happen to like other types of games, too, and you apparently enjoy JtB. Can you just acknowledge that they’re different game styles?

JtB’s Gameplay mechanics are very similar to The Sims Medieval: Choose a Side, Go on Missions, Pick a path via Chance Cards. The only difference is that there are a heap of build items in JtB. Most of them are completely sci fi generic. The builds don’t have to be ‘Star Wars‘ if you don’t want them to be. On the other hand, Medieval is a stand alone pack that doesn’t give builders much to do. I can’t just go to my ‘ordinary life’ save and play through that story. I have to launch a completely different game.

Indeed, the sims 3 and the sims medieval focus on different play styles, I certainly acknowledge that. However, is it such a bad thing to combine the two as an experiment? JtB doesn’t get in the way at all. Strangerville doesn’t either. Personally I’m very happy with experimental game packs, whether they’re occult themed or story/mission themed.

I was looking at a 2011 thread regarding the sims medieval. People were wondering why it was not just a TS3 EP.
    Now people wished that JtB was a stand-alone pack like medieval. (Or did not exist at all... :D ).

I truly hope Sims4 core mechanics get fixed, a better personality system is long overdue. Will we get it? We’ll see. At this point I don’t know. These sims aren’t the smartest of the series.
    But there’s a lot we can do with life simulators. It doesn’t always have to be a copy of the previous titles. No simmer is the same or more ‘true’ than another. We all play the game differently. We find our own way to make it work for us. And if it’s still not satisfactory after 6 long years, maybe it’s time to move on.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    TBH, I don't mind, and I think I know about it ever since the announcement. It's part of their marketing strategy. It would be so nice to have new Simmers too. I'm pretty sure each one of us started somewhere too, right?

Besides, they've done the community pack with the Knitting Stuff, so, why can't they expand their target market now?

I personally like this pack and bought it yesterday. Yes, this pack is not for everyone, but, there's still a few Simmers are enjoying the pack.
    If they weren’t “Simmers” before, they’re not now. I don’t want a bunch of new players attracted to this game who are going to request or expect more packs like this one. It’s not within the life simulation genre. And it’s not even done well, from what I’ve seen!

The Sims 3 was the first sims game I ever played and owned. In fact, I only began playing it when it was well in its 3rd year of development.
    Didn't the sims 3 receive a lot of backlash back in the days? Even so, I didn't know about it all those years ago. I bought many packs (on sale) because I really enjoyed it.

But I wasn't a simmer before, so does this mean I wasn't a simmer then? Does it mean I'm not a simmer now? What does being a 'simmer' mean? Can you be a 'simmer' before you buy sims 3, but not after? Can you be a 'simmer' before you buy JtB, but not after?

I did buy the pack (cause me really likes). Does this make me now less of a 'simmer' than someone who did not buy the pack?

Yes. For me personally, I absolutely hated the base game and the way the sims looked. It only got more fun the 3rd year of that series.

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

I feel this forum is getting to be one of those one sided groups, like those local council night classes sewing groups that I've wanted to join in the past in real life but they have made themselves into a little club and don't want anyone else in.

In some aspects it depends on how each person determines what it means. For me the term "True Simmer means an Simmer that been playing Sims from the first to present and knows all the strengths and weaknesses of each version. An person that starts off with just this version only knows this version as they never played in any versions prior to this one and one of the reasons some may be disappointed in Sims 4 as I am disappointed but do not hate the game. If all had played this one version I believe there would be no controversy as the is no precedence to follow. Some may not like the term and some are okay with it. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

If it took a non-Sims brand crossover to get someone interested in The Sims then I wouldn’t classify them as Sims fan. I mean did you see TS3 diesel stuff and then buy the whole base game?

Grand, here’s my ‘embarrassing’ reason for buying TS3. Should I share it? Sure why the hell not.
    I actually bought TS3 as a starter bundle which included Late Night. It caught my attention because the box art showed this girl in a bikini in a hot tub. It also depicted a seductive vampirella. I honestly thought this was a life simulator aimed at a more mature audience. Never for the life of me did I believe it was for teens...or that it was whatever it is. I wonder how many guys were attracted to this particular DLC...I mean it was called ‘Late Night’...🤔
    Anyone?
    Fine. No one.

*peeping out*

Glad the game turned out much better than that! It had bands! My favorite thing! BANDS!

*goes back in cave.*

*peeps out once more*

I may have gotten the TS3 starter bundle if a Star Wars DLC was included! Not Diesel. Nah. I don’t really wear that stuff.

*back in cave.*
    That’s not selling you the basegame through a different brand though is it? That was a full worthy EP with a lot of gameplay and new features.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Really, @OEII1001 - I’m talking about new players that were not interested in a life simulation game before. I’m not gatekeeping, I’m telling it like it is. They may like a game pack that is off the beaten path of The Sims, that doesn’t make them Simmers as we knew it before. There’s only so many different ways I can explain what I said (see previous posts), if you are choosing to interpret it in a different way that’s up to you.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Really, @OEII1001 - I’m talking about new players that were not interested in a life simulation game before. I’m not gatekeeping, I’m telling it like it is. They may like a game pack that is off the beaten path of The Sims, that doesn’t make them Simmers as we knew it before. There’s only so many different ways I can explain what I said (see previous posts), if you are choosing to interpret it in a different way that’s up to you.

Again, I don't think that not wanting people here because they were hooked into the series by X, Y, or Z pack (your own words) is a healthy thing for the community. It's not an interpretation, it is a direct repudiation of your own remarks.
    @OEII1001
    I just want the ONLY life simulation game that exists to remain in the genre it claims to be in. I don’t want the community to be any further divided than it already is. I know I can’t control any of that. It’s just my opinion, I’m not at the gate, checking for passes. I have one foot out of the gate and I’m wondering why the gate keeps moving further away from me.

Anyway I guess we’ll see if there really are loads of new players soon enough. If they like the game even when they’re not at Batuu, I’ll be surprised. Because it’s a different kind of game than the thousands of RPG games out there, and it would be nice if we could keep it that way.
    edited September 2020
    @OEII1001
    I just want the ONLY life simulation game that exists to remain in the genre it claims to be in. I don’t want the community to be any further divided than it already is. I know I can’t control any of that. It’s just my opinion, I’m not at the gate, checking for passes. I have one foot out of the gate and I’m wondering why the gate keeps moving further away from me.

Anyway I guess we’ll see if there really are loads of new players soon enough. If they like the game even when they’re not at Batuu, I’ll be surprised. Because it’s a different kind of game than the thousands of RPG games out there, and it would be nice if we could keep it that way.

It would be like wanting a Grim Reaper career and getting knitting because the "knitting people" wanted that instead. Or, perhaps wanting some spooking haunting content and getting Laundry Day because a bunch of people really wanted to wash their clothes in a video game.

We all get things we don't like. However, I didn't see people going around saying that they wanted the knitting and laundry enthusiasts out of the community because the content they wanted was usurped by the mundane. Twice. The reason is twofold. First, it's impractical. You can't keep people out. Secondly, it's not cool. They get to be part of the club too. After all, the answer to your gate-and-foot analogy is isn't to slam the gate in someone else's face.
    Post edited by OEII1001 on
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    @OEII1001

It would be like wanting a Grim Reaper career and getting knitting because the "knitting people" wanted that instead. Or, perhaps wanting some spooking haunting content and getting Laundry Day because a bunch of people really wanted to wash their clothes in a video game.

We all get things we don't like. However, I didn't see people going around saying that they didn't want the knitting and laundry enthusiasts out of the community because the content they wanted was usurped by the mundane. Twice. The reason is twofold. First, it's impractical. You can't keep people out. Secondly, it's not cool. They get to be part of the club too. After all, the answer to your gate-and-foot analogy is isn't to slam the gate in someone else's face.

But I will agree with @babajayne that several packs and most notably the Star Wars pack aren't sandbox anymore.
    It's not because of the theme but because of their execution. They leave little room for you to create.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    edited September 2020
    @OEII1001

We all get things we don't like. However, I didn't see people going around saying that they didn't want the knitting and laundry enthusiasts out of the community because the content they wanted was usurped by the mundane. Twice. The reason is twofold. First, it's impractical. You can't keep people out. Secondly, it's not cool. They get to be part of the club too. After all, the answer to your gate-and-foot analogy is isn't to slam the gate in someone else's face.

But I will agree with @babajayne that several packs and most notably the Star Wars pack aren't sandbox anymore.
    It's not because of the theme but because of their execution. They leave little room for you to create.

That's your opinion. It isn't one that I necessarily agree with. But the whole point is that we shouldn't be excluding people based on what they think or don't think.
    @OEII1001

The community poll I participated in was the one that resulted in knitting. That was fair because it appeared in the game’s loading screen, so everyone knows Sims players would have been voting. Sorry you didn’t get the results you wanted. I did. And even though Happy Haunts was lowest on my ranking, I’ve said before that I hope they do make the Happy Haunts pack, and that it’s a game pack so it can include everything it mentioned.

This topic is totally different from the JtB pack which wasn’t a winner of a community vote and doesn’t follow the genre at all. They’re not even comparable. We’re comparing sandbox life simulation gameplay to linear story-driven gameplay. Put aside all the personal tastes that differ between players and look at the type of game. You may like both types, but they’re different, and that’s the issue.
    @OEII1001

The community poll I participated in was the one that resulted in knitting. That was fair because it appeared in the game’s loading screen, so everyone knows Sims players would have been voting. Sorry you didn’t get the results you wanted. I did. And even though Happy Haunts was lowest on my ranking, I’ve said before that I hope they do make the Happy Haunts pack, and that it’s a game pack so it can include everything it mentioned.

This topic is totally different from the JtB pack which wasn’t a winner of a community vote and doesn’t follow the genre at all. They’re not even comparable. We’re comparing sandbox life simulation gameplay to linear story-driven gameplay. Put aside all the personal tastes that differ between players and look at the type of game. You may like both types, but they’re different, and that’s the issue.

Actually, the choice in the packs were diametric. Either you were getting what you wanted or I was getting what I wanted. You won, I lost. Twice, mind you. In this case, there was no choice to be had. This pack didn't come from Star Wars fans demanding that they get a pack instead of something else. It's not a case of you-versus-them. Now it's up to you, but maybe consider cutting the people who find this pack appealing and get into The Sims because of it some slack.
    All I meant is someone who likes the life simulation gameplay. Sorry the term bothers you or makes you feel like you have to defend what you like. That’s not the point I was trying to make. People either like life simulation gameplay or they don’t, and I would not expect those who don’t like it to enjoy The Sims, and vice versa!
    JtB isn’t like World Adventures at all. Even Jungle Adventure hardly resembles World Adventures.
    In WA, you could buy a vacation home in 3 different environments and play it like a sandbox. You could ignore all the missions and there was still plenty to explore and collect. We had more control over TS3 that made it a sandbox.

It’s like the developers of JtB had all the fun designing the set and the gameplay, you are just along for the ride.

That might be your opinion but having played the Sims games since 2000 I like this pack. Maybe I don't want all sandbox after all but am not good enough to play Fortnite or kill off enemies by the dozen in Star Wars games. This is giving me a chance to do a bit of the adventure for a change and then use the CAS and build/buy later in Sandbox mode in all my worlds outside it. As World Adventures was my favourite pack I suppose Sims 4 has taken a good turn for me adding to the mode. It's even getting a little like SimCity Rush Hour with Eco Lifestyle and that is my favourite Sims game of all.

It's all good for me. I'm enjoying the adventure. How do you know, without playing through every mission or role how good the gameplay is? I doubt if any streamer after one day's view did anything but rush through them using fast mode all the way. Dr Gluon was funny but made fun of the gameplay and wasn't helpful at all. I like to take things slowly and explore. You can keep your pure simulation sandbox mode for yourself by not buying it.

JoAnne65 wrote: »

Anyone?
    Fine. No one.

*peeping out*

*goes back in cave.*

*peeps out once more*

*back in cave.*
    That’s not selling you the basegame through a different brand though is it? That was a full worthy EP with a lot of gameplay and new features.

My point is that I didn’t know much about The Sims at all and judged the game by its cover. Literally. I never played TS1 or TS2 before I opened TS3.
    If the starter bundle included a Star Wars DLC, I probably would have gotten it. If it included a Mass Effect or a Lord of the Rings DLC, I probably would have gotten it. I would have no complaints and I’d be the same as someone buying JtB and basegame right now. Clueless. Not a ‘true simmer’. I just can’t help having tons of fun. Criticism, plenty, but fun? Tons of.