Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Nikkei Simmer's Fumbling Adventures in CAW otherwise known as "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING??!"

Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
edited June 2020 in The Sims 3 World Builders
WTHECK.jpg

Day 1: "I need layers...for each setup, roads, trees, houses, etc...how the hell do I get layers?"

Let's just say that I have absolutely NO EFFING CLUE as to what the heck I'm doing here. All I'm trying to do is make a small "flat world" with a few roads and 12 lots for a Legacy. 9 of which are 64x64 - Yes, they're that stinking rich that they can all afford mansions. I don't want to bother a dedicated builder with a customized world just for my own use which other people will have no need of and I need to be able to learn how to use CAW so that I can make my own small customized worlds for my play since my computer tends to balk at anything large...and fancy.

So...maybe this OLD simmer can make worlds for his own use, with stumbling steps and a little guidance here and there.

Oh...wait... I figured out how to make different layers. :bright spark here:

Click on World Layers, Right-click and add layer. :neutral: ~slow clap~. I figure by the time I turn 85...I'll have figured out CAW by then.

First_Intersection.jpg
OK...manage to connect my first road (promptly deleted)

...and managed up to this point...
Maple_Meadows1.jpg
OK...maybe it won't take me till age 85... maybe till 80.

Edit: 11:51PM - Great...I also figured out now how to rotate the world so that I can approach it to lay down objects from any angle. , .- keys.
GYZ6Ak9.png
Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on

Comments

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    Castaway Story World

MistyIsle_NS.png

Screenshot.jpg
    The worst place in the world where my sims could have ever crashed their F-14 Tomcat. North of the 49th Parallel in the middle of the Atlantic and you get all four seasons. Hope you like snow...

Screenshot-5.jpg
    Inlet of "Faint Hope" - You try to swim across it, and you're going to drown.

Screenshot-4.jpg

Screenshot-3.jpg
    Can't let 'em starve though. :D

This is the island where Commander Tosh "Animal" Nakamura and his (female) RIO are going to be stuck in for the next five generations custom-built by their ever-so-loving deity...the Watcher...ME.

Aren't I such a sweet Watcher? ~evil grin~
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • DocusatDocusat Posts: 2,305 Member
    That looks great. And congrats on figuring out CAW. I remember trying several times to get my head around it and failing abysmally
    edited July 2020
    A new little project of mine called Maple Island.
    CAW_Preview001.png
    I'm making another little island for myself to play in...called "Maple Island". Yes, it's going to be populated by Maple trees. Depending on how adventurous I am, I might even stick a waterfall on this island. But keep in mind, these are my first fumbling steps into CAW. Misty Isle was just a "plunk a lot down and add a few trees" sort of thing...This one will be considerably different and I'm starting to find that the more I use it, the more intuitive it is...to understand. Maybe I'm just enjoying building worlds a bit too much. And I guess I'm inquisitive. It's framing and dealing with object creation in Blender that is going to give me a major league headache. With learning disabilities and all that (not using it as an excuse, but just laying it out there) I have to take things at my own pace to be able to learn them properly. So...here goes at my attempt at another decent world that I can play in that hopefully won't tax my computer too much.

About an hour and a half later, I've got this...coming up. And surprise...surprise...all my assets are neatly organized. It looks good so far. We'll see how it performs when we put it in game.
    CAW_Preview002.png

Update: didn't like the way it looked. Ditched it and started over.
    CAW_Preview003.png

Screenshot-55.jpg
    A shot in world (in game)

Screenshot-57.jpg
    :neutral: Well...um... OOPS.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

Hi @Nikkei_Simmer :D ,

how awesome ... it seems you have caught the CAW-bug! 👍 ... Always fab to see new creations pop up in the World Builders section ... even if they are mainly used to torture poor sims ;) 🤣😂
    edited July 2020
    OK...Maple Island is somewhat finished.
    MapleIsland_pic_NS.png
    Bebe and Haruo's little retreat away from the hustle and bustle of Sunset Valley. After all...in this particular story-line they've both have been together for years as girlfriend and boyfriend...so why not just abscond together and get away from it all.
    Screenshot-34.jpg
    Screenshot-58.jpg
    Their nice little Asian house in keeping with the Asian theme of the world. (ha ha...I can't even call this a "world" since it only consist of two community lots (a graveyard and a combo-marketplace) and the Chikamori's house. :mrgreen: Let's just call it an "island".
    Screenshot-59.jpg
    ...against a backdrop of a stunning 300m waterfall.
    Screenshot-60.jpg
    ...wayyyyy out in the middle of the ocean. :mrgreen:

Everything Bebe could have ever wanted.

The combined marketplace works...at least in my game.
    Screenshot-153.jpg

And our island mascot is "Krusty"...the spotted sixam. Can we have a few welcoming words to those tourists who would want to visit here?
    Screenshot-155.jpg
    Krusty: "LEAVE!"
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • DottyKCDottyKC Posts: 19 Member
    I found the blogspot tutorials from krrank to be very helpful during my first few days using CAW (very good step by step instructions), but it looks like you got over the hump!