Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Biggest "flop" of the sims series?

1235...Next

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 3 Katy Perry Stuff
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    What is wrong with Moschino? I think that it is good stuff pack. I really like possibility to be a proffesional photographer, BM items are nice, only CAS is poor for me.

I agree. The photography elements and the windows are worth the price. I've built a studio and they have a lot of the Get Famous stage prop backgrounds in the large garden so that they can take photos in front of the houses, bar and flying saucers etc.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Sims 4 My first pets stuff
    The fact that so little people are saying MFPS is eye opening
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    The question is, should I vote based on my preference or as you said,"... things that are considered highly controversial..."

I don't play with TS3 that much, but so far, I like everything that all packs that are being offered to me. So, nothing is controversial for me, but, if it's based on the community, I would say, every pack that has been released.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Sims 4 Base game (Pre patches)
    Camkat wrote: »

What the Katy Perry stuff pack has over Star Wars stuff is that everything in that pack is colorable and CAStable to use in any theme whether for a normal everyday style as shown above, or a more theatrical or fantasy motif or whatever else.

Everything in the Star Wars pack would have a much more limited use.

That's not really a fair statement. If TS3 didn't have CAST, Sweet Treats would have been just as unusable/limited for some people as Star Wars. You can't compare them based on a feature not present in TS4.

You're saying it's unfair because the comparison highlights just how inflexible TS4 is! Even the worst pack in TS3 is salvageable because of its ability to customize everything!

Exactly! It's the TS3's game function that redeems the pack, not the pack itself. ;)
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

What the Katy Perry stuff pack has over Star Wars stuff is that everything in that pack is colorable and CAStable to use in any theme whether for a normal everyday style as shown above, or a more theatrical or fantasy motif or whatever else.

Everything in the Star Wars pack would have a much more limited use.

That's not really a fair statement. If TS3 didn't have CAST, Sweet Treats would have been just as unusable/limited for some people as Star Wars. You can't compare them based on a feature not present in TS4.

You're saying it's unfair because the comparison highlights just how inflexible TS4 is! Even the worst pack in TS3 is salvageable because of its ability to customize everything!

Exactly! It's the TS3's game function that redeems the pack, not the pack itself. ;)

Not exactly. Every object in the stuff pack has channels for color and patterns. Without the channels, TS3 can't CASt them - they would be as inflexible as ALL TS4 objects. So yes, the Katy Perry stuff pack does indeed redeem itself. Plus it's a stuff pack and is offering exactly what it's meant to give.

The Star Wars game pack on the other hand, is suppose to add new gameplay, but it doesn't. Everything in that pack is reused from other packs. And of course it has the limited-use BB stuff.

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    The base game was dire as there was so much missing and there was so little in terms of gameplay. It was rushed and to my mind not tested properly. You could clearly see this with the level of clipping.

Granted it was a new version but I never understood why it was necessary to change the position of the controls. Confusing does not even cover it. I was expecting some disappointment because we knew by then there was no CASt or open world. What was not expected was the level of boredom and the constant disruption to gameplay caused by interminable loading screens.

After 3 serious attempts I stopped playing so can’t comment on the other packs mentioned.

With regard to Katy Perry agreed it was an annoying pointless pack but simmers do use the items. I have seen an ice cream parlour made with items from the pack and it works. Some of the CAS items are cute too. The TS3 pack which causes most grief despite having a great world and great items is IP. It is so buggy as to be unplayable without mods. Why it was ever released in that state still winds me up a treat.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • RadioAChickenRadioAChicken Posts: 163 Member
    Sims 3 Katy Perry Stuff
    I voted Katy Perry because it's the only pack that I didn't buy. I only own it because someone gifted it to me years later when they were selling off disks copies cheap. I felt like EA thought Sims 1 Superstar was fondly remembered so used this idea for a commercial tie in but everything is so over the top it's off putting. Yes it can be used for some themed lots but it stuck out so much compared to everything else that it's hard to see it.

Strangerville I really like. The storyline is pretty much once and done but I really like the world. I wish there were more buildable lots available but I love the atmosphere of the place.

MFPS should have been including with Cats and Dogs no question but I did buy it once it went on sale and I do like the content so I would be a hypocrite to pick this one and apparently it did sell really well so wasn't a financial flop either.

Star Wars - I'm one of about three people that seem to like the pack. I can see why people are upset but I'm just can't muster the energy to be angry about it. It lacks gameplay as it's all just unimaginative tick lists again which is boring but that is not unique to this pack.
    I love the assets though, I think they are quite grungy and could fit in quite well with other builds. I don't think they would look out of place in that old airplane lot in Strangerville for instance. The main problem with it for me is as I mentioned the gameplay and that is more a problem with the game as a whole. Just every pack seeming to fall a little short but this isn't the first pack to do that. I personally have no problem with the theme.

Moschino - Only reason I like this pack is because of the windows. Haven't tried out the photography stuff yet but it seems to have been quite well received. The CAS stuff is a hard pass from me. I hate over priced fashion in real life and this is the most ridiculous brand I've ever seen. (Never heard of them before the pack came out.) Who's paying for t-shirts at that price? That's just stupid.

I didn't play Sims 4 base game so in that sense it was a flop for me and I almost picked this option. I only bought the game a few years later as I've been playing Sims since close to the the beginning so I was curious about it but yeah base game put a lot of people I know off buying so that's a close second for me, followed by Moschino.

Honorable mention is the lack luster 20th anniversary gift. If it had been the cheesy looking heart shaped hottub from The Sims some people may still have moaned but at least it would have been a nod to the past. This was just meh.
    iscQh5U.png
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Other (please specify)
    TS4 from first issue inclusive to date. This has been a fiasco from the beginning with no sign of changing. Other than downwards at an ever increasing rate.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Is TS4 still considered a flop?

The pre patches era was interesting on the forums though if anyone remembers 'No pools, no toddlers'
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Sims 3 Katy Perry Stuff
    None of them have been a flop for EA/Maxis. They've all sold well. What people are saying here is what they consider they call a flop for their own personal gameplay aren't they? I've found a use for all of them and forget which object or trait came from what pack. Spa's are very useful in Sulani for example.

It does help to have all the packs.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Actually SimSocieties
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 3 Katy Perry Stuff
    The Katy Perry pack was just gross and obnoxious. Nothing usable for the game, and everything in it was so tacky. Was she at the height of her fame then? I have no idea why anyone would want to attach their brand to a pop star; celebrities are the worst.

Edit: I love TS1 Superstar and I'm glad that TS3 and TS4 incorporated aspects of that game into packs, but TS3 did that without the need for a Katy Perry pack.

Edit Edit: Uggh... can I change my vote :cry: I missed the TS4 Base game option... that was definitely the biggest flop! Katy Perry was ignorable, TS4 literally ruined my passion for the franchise and I went from playing every day to not playing Sims at all (not even TS2) for over 2 years.
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    The Sims 4 Base Game by far. I'd argue it's still a flop. The only enjoyable aspects are CAS and Build Mode. But the state in which The Sim 4 was released was appalling. It didn't have pools, toddlers, ghosts, family trees, terrain tools, etc, etc. Most of those things have been added in but the game still lacks a core feature that's been missing since the base game was released: a good AI.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited September 2020
    Other (please specify)
    That would be the total lack of a 20th Anniversary celebration.

Also Katy Perry's House of Pain has become a bit of a collectors item, so you can't really call it a flop.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,065 Member
    The base game for TS4 was beyond disappointing. No pools, no toddlers, no ghosts, and much more that iterations before had. With its double amount of production time (Olympus), there was no right for it to be missing as much as it did, scrapped or not.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    Thanks for your pics of how useful the Katy Perry BB stuff are. I love that game pack too for that!

Well I didn't remember that pack well. So I decided to check and was even surprised myself ))

You did a great job! That pack has a bad reputation so not a lot of people would even venture to see if they can put it to use in their normal everyday play. It's like everyone forgot they can CASt everything in it!

Well...um...even though the thought of using the stuff in there makes my teeth ache (and probably will rot out my teeth - from the saccharine overdose)...I guess I'll probably get it just to be a completionist. Which is more than I can say for any of the EPs, SPs and GPs that Sims 4 put out.

I bought 4 for $5.00 Pepsis during one Christmas season when Sims 4 was on for $4.99. Got 80c back in deposit money. Best $5.00 plus bottle deposit and enviro-fee I've ever spent. /snark/
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 4 Moschino stuff
    The fact that so little people are saying MFPS is eye opening

lol, it was a hard choice for me between it and that Moschino or whatever. But I was thinking money and I think the one I picked probalby made less money than MFP stuff pack. I was looking at it how EA might look at it..money! But I was also judging what I would use out of them and the one I picked won hands down. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.