Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only 'Star Wars: Journey to Batuu' complaining thread!

Comments

• SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    logion wrote: »

So...according to simgururomeo this is actually not a bug but someone who just gave Judith the mask... , the one who posted that tweet replied though and said that it's a glitch.

O: They lied again??
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Is it just me or is anybody else wishing that the plethora of SW threads were all condensed into just a few? I think there's 25 or more threads between DISCUSSION and PACK DISCUSSIONS devoted to this pack, is that really necessary? Or am I just overly beech'ing because I never wanted the pack?

I'm really super happy it's out, so hopefully the hype dies down soon.

IMO the more threads the better, as long as EA gets the hint that this pack was hot garbage.
    Maybe it’ll inspire them to do better in the future, but that ship might have sailed...
  • keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    Part of me is glad LGR is making such a statement, but also, I would've really enjoyed hearing a long rant about it. But like he said, he an only say "this sucks" in so many ways.

I do think the silence from EA speaks volumes though. They don't want to livestream it because it'll show how pathetic the gameplay (or lack there of) is.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Komura wrote: »

Daaaaangggg. I didn't expect that, but tbh I don't blame him one bit. There recent packs have all been incredibly lackluster and this one was the most undesired idea ever with horrid execution. I wouldn't want to waste my time reviewing this pack either.
  • Bunzz_1999Bunzz_1999 Posts: 6 New Member
    I see the general idea with Simmers right now is that nobody wanted this pack. TBH when I saw the announcement I wasn't pleased -- I'm not a Star Wars fan. But, I tend to buy all the packs that come out so I could give them a try, maybe I'll like them? But then watching the gameplay trailers and hearing more about it I was just... still not impressed.

Watching the review videos today just kinda backs up the thought process of "yeah... not the best." hopefully the new EP they brought up in their treat of a statement the other day is a good one.
  • elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    Personally I'll be reserving any further judgement until the hype's settled down a bit. Lots of glitches could potentially be mod conflicts or something similar. That being said, I am worried about game-breaking bugs being introduced with this pack. Hearing that occult Sims can't use their powers on Batuu is a shame, though... Limitations as far as the eye can see 😢 I can appreciate that the new Twi'lek mask at least covers the Sim's whole skin, but why not the rest of them? Still so puzzled by that... Still a shame it is only a mask to begin with.

As far as LGR not reviewing the pack...speaks volumes to me. Poor man's fed up, I guess. A lot of us are... I love The Sims so much, and it's hard to watch the community be this upset over a game they are clearly passionate about.
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    It says a lot about this game and where it is going when the LGR doesn't want to review it anymore. I understand him completely. Sometimes it is just time to say goodbye. You can only remain frustrated with what this game is lacking in for so long.

• KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2020
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    It says a lot about this game and where it is going when the LGR doesn't want to review it anymore. I understand him completely. Sometimes it is just time to say goodbye. You can only remain frustrated with what this game is lacking in for so long.

I can’t even play the Sims 4 if I wanted to right now, the last patch broke my game so badly I’m afraid to open any of my saves and have no intention of making a new one. I’ve been playing Sims 2 religiously for days now, and it reminded me that while the destination of this series looks very bleak, and while it’s definitely looking like the end of my relationship with this Sims, I loved the journey getting here and the way Sims 1-3 and even 4 at times gave me so much joy. EA can’t take that away from me.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited September 2020
    Is it bad that this made me really really laugh. :D Just the worst luck with that mask Ms Ward. :#:p
    I can't with EA at this point. Just...LMAO.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member

I can’t even play the Sims 4 if I wanted to right now, the last patch broke my game so badly I’m afraid to open any of my saves and have no intention of making a new one. I’ve been playing Sims 2 religiously for days now, and it reminded me that while the destination of this series looks very bleak, and while it’s definitely looking like the end of my relationship with this Sims, I loved the journey getting here and the way Sims 1-3 and even 4 at times gave me so much joy. EA can’t take that away from me.
    This is a really good way to look at it, and I feel like you've expressed this thought in a mature manner. It feels like it's time for us ol' fogeys to pack it in. At least it was fun while it lasted.

I'm just hoping this public...er...sandstorm (can't say what I really mean, but...y'know) will be the wake-up call EA needs in regards to The Sims. I highly doubt it though, as much as I hate to say it. They have completely destroyed so many franchises and probably won't stop any time soon, but it doesn't make it hurt any less...

I'm so sorry TS4 has been such a let down for you lately but I completely understand where you're coming from. Hopefully in the future you'll be able to return and enjoy it again ✌️ And like you said, at you'll always have the good times!
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Seeing how everything in a sandbox game is basically completely locked down, pretty much makes this game officially dead.

Maybe the next release will be a funeral pack.

A Funeral pack would actually be pretty awesome. Could be part of a Happy Haunts pack :)
    It would be a million times better than this mess of a pack :D
  • bixters wrote: »
    Seeing how everything in a sandbox game is basically completely locked down, pretty much makes this game officially dead.

Maybe the next release will be a funeral pack.

A Funeral pack would actually be pretty awesome. Could be part of a Happy Haunts pack :)
    It would be a million times better than this mess of a pack :D

Burying townies in their Star Wars masks like we want to bury this pack. You don’t even know how down I am for this. 😂👌
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member

I have enjoyed the journey as well. I am glad I still have the complete sets of Sims 1-3, although I have to admit I am distancing myself from Sims 4 anymore and Sims 5, if there is one, may be forgotten entirely. Sims 4 is just not the game it should have been.

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    aleeeexxxp wrote: »
    So I have watched a bunch of videos and re-watched the trailers and I can't see anything that is new in terms of game play? All of the animations are re-used, the light-saber fight it from get famous the chest opening is from jungle adventure. Am I missing something? Is anything truly new?

Unless I’ve missed something, no It’s all reused animations but that’s what happens when EA is a small indie company with limited resources and a low budget- Wait, never mind that’s not true at all, There’s absolutely no excuse for the laziness.

🤣

But on a more important note: is your avatar related to P5 in some way? Kinda reminds me of Akechi lol. Maybe I've just been playing that game way too much though. Either way, I like it (your avatar..but also the game).
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    So I have watched a bunch of videos and re-watched the trailers and I can't see anything that is new in terms of game play? All of the animations are re-used, the light-saber fight it from get famous the chest opening is from jungle adventure. Am I missing something? Is anything truly new?

Unless I’ve missed something, no It’s all reused animations but that’s what happens when EA is a small indie company with limited resources and a low budget- Wait, never mind that’s not true at all, There’s absolutely no excuse for the laziness.

🤣

But on a more important note: is your avatar related to P5 in some way? Kinda reminds me of Akechi lol. Maybe I've just been playing that game way too much though. Either way, I like it (your avatar..but also the game).

Nah. That's not Akechi. It's actually Overhaul (aka Kai Chisaki) from My Hero Academia
    Aquarius94 wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »

🤣

Nah. That's not Akechi. It's actually Overhaul (aka Kai Chisaki) from My Hero Academia

Alright thanks, I knew I was probably wrong but there's still a similarity! Thanks 😊
  • twistedstitchtwistedstitch Posts: 1 New Member
    > @Pamtastic72 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I think she more just took one for the team by saying she pushed it. EA has a contract to create Star Wars content and place it in games, none of them can come right out and say “we did this because we had to” or “it seemed like a fun concept until Disney put loads of restrictions on us”. My guess is the costumes we got weren’t in our face enough to make Disney happy, so this thing happened. A stuff pack with a 100% set dressing world that cannot be altered from Disney’s vision and no new characters just costumes so that they cannot appear in blogs or videos doing adult mod stuff.

I think you are correct the reason this pack exists has to do with some contractual obligation between EA and Disney. That being said, it's no excuse for the poor product the developers are trying to sell us. As a Sims 4 player I had no problem fitting Star Wars into my games whether it made narrative sense or not, I like sci-fi themes, but after reading reviews and seeing the restrictions and limited gameplay options I'm not buying. And that's saying something, because when I first heard about the GP I was all in.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    Honestly the sims team, maxis, and Ea.Should be ashamed of themselves.If the pack was creative, and flesh out. It would not get as much hate.Instead of giving us a good pack. They gave us an advertisement, with set dressing, and a few objects.
  • LaniNeptuneLaniNeptune Posts: 19 Member
    As someone who is a builder that owns all TS 1, most of TS 2 and TS 3, and yes I have bought all of the packs for TS 4 except JTB, I am disappointed by EA and The Sims Team. I've seen James Turner's review, I've seen Deligracy's, I've seen Plumbella's and Carl's, I've seen most of the current reviews and game play and it looks tragic. Beautiful but tragic, like a fake chocolate bar soap with teeth marks.

I don't mind the Star Wars, was going to get the pack, because new building items, new debug items and I just need a distraction. Not going to get the pack, because even with the pack being quite full of niche build/buy objects there is no game play, they are charging $5 more for this pack in Canada(30.99 CAD vs 25.99CAD) why?, and it's just not worth the price for what you get.

Whenever I get a pack I enjoy checking out the new features, how the sims interact with objects, how the spacing for an item works, and how to make my build flow with game play. This means I have to want to play with the objects, I enjoyed the Strangerville mission and the pack in general (I like a funky Victorian). I build a lot in Strangerville, and I build kind of wacky because it's a wacky area. JTB is not wacky, it's not fun, it's boring, doing your taxes boring. So just no for me until it's 50% or more off.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Lol it’s a sad day in popstarsleyland when I’m not even one iota excited on new pack day. I wasn’t interested in RoM or SV, but I was still looking forward to watching the streams and seeing the new stuff that was available.

PS Store has a bunch of games 80% off so I picked up some new Assassin’s Creeds instead and carried on my way not even thinking of TS4 one time 🤷🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️
  • TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    I don't know if anyone has brought this up already but apparently Baatu is buggy for occult sims.

This was in the thread: *WARNING* JOURNEY TO BAATU SEEMS TO REALLY SCREW OCCULT SIMS OVER...
    This pack is *not* Occult Sim friendly in any way.
    Occult Sims lose all of their powers and interactions. This is deadly when it comes to Vampires, as they can no longer feed at all (Your sims inventory is cleared of everything not originating from Baatu, so you can't bring Plasma Packs with you). There are no actual showers or baths on any of the Baatu lots, just a rabbithole that fills Hygiene/Hydration. It does *not* reset the Mermaid being in water, so your time on vacation there is very limited if you don't want to lose your Occult status as Mermaid.

Lastly, on return from Baatu, it seems that if you sim has an Occult Form (Vampires and Mermaids), it automatically applies the 'sync appearance' to your base human form, so if you have it differing by eye type, teeth, hairstyle, hair colour.... you lose it all.

All of these should be correctable, so I'm going to assume they are bugs for the time being. Hopefully they will be fixed asap, as it currently makes Journey to Baatu very uncomfortable for Occult Sims.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Don't get me wrong, there are things that I do like about JTB. But I guess here is the place to share what I don't like about it.

I bought the pack yesterday - because I hoped it would be fun, not to complete my collection or anything.

Here are my thoughts on it (I will copy and paste what I wrote in the 'do you recommend buying JTB?' thread):

I'm sorry to have to say this but I do not recommend buying it. I was really excited by the prospect of a Star Wars pack and I thought it could be amazing. I bought it and yes there are fun bits but overall... I have to admit that I am disappointed. And I don't like saying that.

The world is beautiful but there are so many rabbit holes. That would be ok so long as the gameplay was good but unfortunately so far I haven't found that to be the case.

They said that there are 50 missions and that sounds very impressive. But then you realise that all of the missions are just different combinations of the same few interactions and those interactions aren't all that interesting. For example, in the first order most of the 'missions' consist of completing something like the following checklist:

- intimidate 3 citizens
    - check IDs
    - Make arrest

Sure, there are a few variations. Sometimes you get to fly a space ship (which is a rabbithole obviously) or something like that but overall it's mostly just rabbitholes and talking to different sims.

It would have been great if the resistance base and the first order base had been like the temple from Jungle Adventure: there could have been a series of rooms with doors that you can only open by dismantling traps. There could also have been guards patrolling inside the base who you'd have to incapacitate eg with your lightsabre or with a blaster (presumably set to stun) in order to keep going. At the middle of the base could have been information that you'd have to steal or something. And the base and all its traps would reset every 24 hours like the JA temples. I would have loved that.

ETA: And this puts me in mind of another thing. I've touched on this above but in general it would have been nice if some missions had involved having to fight sims from the other side using lightsabres or blasters (right now as I go on to say later lightsabres have little functionality and they are not integrated into the main gameplay aspect of the pack: the missions).

It would have been great if as you climbed the ranks of, say, the first order, you would have to go and fight progressively higher ranked members of the resistance (in some instances this could have been simply to arrest them, in others to get something that they were guarding). During these 'battles', you would click on your sim's opponent and choose different options (E.g. maybe different moves with the lightsabre such as lunge/parry and as your 'lightsabre skill' got higher there would be more complex options to choose from. There would be something similar to this for fighting with blasterts too). Anyway, these 'battles' (and lightsabre/blaster duels in general) would work in a way similar to fighting the Mother in SV where you have to click on the Mother and choose different ways to fight her.

At the top of the first order you could perhaps get the mission to fight and defeat Rey, perhaps using lightsabres and the force. Likewise at the top of the Resistance you'd get a mission to fight and defeat Kylo. This would also have added a story element to the pack which it sorely needs since after defeating Rey/Kylo, they could fly away in a space ship or something and the Resistance/First Order would have been wiped out on Batuu.

Right now, a mission often requires you to 'arrest' other sims after performing the base game fight interaction. But in a Star Wars pack I would have expected proper 'battles' with lightsabres/blasters (even if your opponent was only knocked out).

Also, nothing seems to happen once you get to the top of the first order which is disappointing.

Maybe the Resistance will be more interesting, I'll try that next. But, based on what I have seen so far I wouldn't recommend buying it. I so wanted to like this pack. But I just don't. And that makes me sad.

Lightsabres are cool but without a jedi lifestate they feel ultimately kind of pointless. I think that a jedi lifestate with a hierarchy and a perks/weaknesses system like that of vampires and spellcasters could have been great.

Alternatively, the Force could have been a skill, with your sim being able to do more things with the Force as they level up.

ETA: To add to this, I feel like there should have been some kind of lightsabre skill rather than lightsabres building the fitness skill. There should also be a more detailed system for fighting with lightsabres as I have said before, with different and more complex lightsabre 'moves' unlocking as your sim builds their lightsabre skill. And fighting another sim with a lightsabre should be more interactive - it should involve choosing different moves (e.g. lunge, parry and more complex moves too).

On the subject of the missing Jedi lifesate, even if they weren't going to make Jedi a fully fleshed out lifestate like vampires or spellcasters with their own perks/weaknesses/rank system, I don't understand why they didn't implement even a very basic Jedi lifestate. This could have been simply a sim who can use lightsabres (non Jedi sims would be unable to do this) and use The Force to do a few things e.g. the Jedi mind trick or choking sims (not to death obviously). The mechanics for this are already in the pack since Rey can do a Jedi mind trick on your sim and Kylo when he gets angry can choke your sim (not to death) using the force. They would just have needed to open up these interactions to played sims.

Also, spellcasters can't use magic on Batuu (just like vampires can't use their vampire powers on Batuu and aliens can't use their alien powers). So, you can forget about making a spellcaster and pretending that they are a jedi who can use 'the force' (aka in this instance magic).

I'd hoped that this pack would involve playing through a story like Strangerville did but there's none of that in this pack. Without that, it feels like you are just completing mission after mission with no end goal like defeating the mother in sight. I'll say it again: when you get to the top of the first order, nothing happens.

Your sim's actions and the missions they undertake within the First Order or The Resistance should actually contribute to bringing down the other side.

Playing in the resistance, you should be able to drive Klyo and the First Order out of Batuu. Playing in the First Order, you should be able to drive Rey and the Resistance out of Batuu (there could even be a cut scene of the resistance/first order fleeing Batuu in their space ships). Without this possibility, the missions that your sim will do for either side feel like they lack any point.

Of course, aliens are not different lifestates and I don't have a problem with that. This is only a game pack and adding lots of different alien lifestates would have probably been too much for a gamepack. But I wish they had made the alien features into skin details which could be inherited by their children. The fact that it's just a mask and can't be worn by kids breaks the immersion.

And yes I am disappointed that we can't romance Kylo or Rey. But that's really only a minor thing.

Another thing is that the aspirations are quite dull and feel like gameplay tutorials. Also, there's no new traits.

There could have been so much more to this pack. That's why I'm disappointed.

I hope I don't come across as though I'm being overly negative. I don't want to be. And I don't want to belittle the views of people who are enjoying the pack, or to attack the simgurus. But I'd be lying if I said that I like this pack and I honestly can't recommend buying it. I think at half price it'd be worth it.

I'm not sure that I necessarily regret buying this pack. It will be nice to have the option to send my sims to Batuu and having new aspirations is always nice. Plus there's some nice CAS and BB. But, I do think that it's one of my least favourite GPs. And that's surprising to me, since I am not a realism player. I think a Star Wars pack was a great idea but I do not think that it was implemented well. I have to admit that.
    They said that there are 50 missions and that sounds very impressive. But then you realise that all of the missions are just different combinations of the same few interactions and those interactions aren't all that interesting.

Lol yes that is exactly what it looked like from the start.

Thanks for posting your feedback, it's unfortunate you regret your purchase, but it's good people are open about sharing their thoughts! Tbh even those that looked forward to it and enjoy it ALL seem to have issues with it. And we all know, none of those issues are accidents that will be solved. This world and its missions are all just set dressing, through and through, and it lays bare SO many of the inherent flaws of TS4.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,717 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm not even surprised.

All their packs are on sale too.

6th year anniversary? nah, releasing a new Star Wars pack to draw in customers? Have a sale.