Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 is six years old now, is it time to move on?

Comments

• feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    edited September 2020
    I like playing 4, but like 3 there are still things I haven't done like kill of the monster in Strangeville. and i still haven't gone to second generation, once my sims get to $20.000 I get bored. I dont use half the stuff in the game clothes or objects, There is too much stuff and not enough play, if you know what I mean. making money is too easy or things are too cheap. If I kill of the monster, What then??? I don't play with super natural. My game is glitchy and gets worse with every pack and update. and my sims dont look real. I'm tired of them not looking real. if they looked real i wouldn't keep deleting my game and starting again. i so want the bunkbeds that we have all been waiting for and I dont want a pointless shelf that only one toy fits on. i would love the option of choosing what in a game pack or expansion I wanted so my comp would only have those things installed. and i wouldn't have tons of stuff i dont use. The perfect sims game doesn't exist and never will. I remeber such polls with alll the others. I dont think the technology exisits.
    I've seen the Not real sims 5 videos on ytube. now if the sims was like that i wouldn't delete my sims. I need more real sims not cartoons.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    The path they are taking with Sims 4 has been planned out an long time ago and I do not forsee them putting in any more robust features if they did any at all. For me the only thing I see them doing is putting out content like items and some of restricted packs. They can only go so far with this version before they realize that it is time to something else. I am not holding my breath on Sims 5 as Sims 4 soured whatever peps I have had for this series.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    cody6268 wrote: »
    First of all, we have a very weak engine. It's designed for a server-side multiplayer game, not a life sim. It was not made for the ginormous amount of packs we have today or mods. Yet, we have tons of packs, and thousands of mods. The more that gets added to it, the more broken the game becomes. One day, there's gonna be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and it's going to be completely unplayable. Time to move on to TS5, and this time, use a good engine.

It's getting to the point of unplayable now. I don't know if the cc window and door thing will be fixible. This destroys the look of many of my builds. EA is like a bull in a china shop plowing through everything and not caring. There are other creators coming down the pike with new games. EA will have to step it up because people are sick of this. When we have other places to go, it will be bye bye.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I’m not ready to give up on the series yet.
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Maybe I'm just easily pleased or maybe I just don't understand 'platforms', 'coding', 'gameplay', 'bugs', etc... I am enjoying myself with the current game. Yes, some things are frustrating, but I manage to have fun despite that. My 'wants' in a game don't align with a lot of peoples and I'm fine with that. I'm not looking for perfection, I'm looking for entertainment. I like Sims 4.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    TS4 has a lot of limitations engine-wise (closed world), town design (very few 64x64 lots), and several shortcomings (emotions overriding everything, traits being irrelevant, and more).
    But it runs way better than TS3 (probably due to the closed world, though), and the 'world-hopping' is a feature I'd love to keep in TS5 (many smaller towns with each its own setting and weather you can freely move between instead of a single large world).
    But without TS4's CAS and build mode (drag-and-drop room moving and resizing, the eventual stairs 2.0 patch), I won't even think about playing a potential TS5 game. And I wouldn't play it until weather is implemented (which tends to be further 2-3 years down the line)

Realistically, there are some things TS4 is missing and that could still be added in future packs, but it's also obvious the game is becoming dated. Yet, I don't think a potential TS5 game would be ready enough for me (given the usual base game content and the packs I consider a must-have) sooner than in 5+ years - by which time, who knows if I'll be interested in playing such a game.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I’d like to know if certain things can be done to improve personalities, A.I. and the worlds. From time to time we hear about some change being likely to break our saves, so that’s why we can’t have that update. I’m at the point now where I’d be fine with starting over if we were told in advance that an optional upgrade could “break our saves”.

If we are so limited, why even bother continuing with TS4?

TS5 has a lot to live up to before I’ll even think of buying it. And weather is a prerequisite this time around.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    There are still several game features and worlds I would like to see before I’m satisfied with TS4, but it’s taking forever to get them and we probably won’t. I’m also exhausted by all the updates that break mods/cc and the game itself. I haven’t played in almost a year because of it. So I’m kind of ready to move on because this game is taking ages to complete.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't feel confident in the current development team to make a game that is any better than the Sims 4 is right now for a few reasons...

1, They seem to be scared of offending anybody. The Sims 4 lacks humor and various aspects that the previous versions had all in the name of creating a "Safe Space" type of game. As much as I love TS4 it does seem a bit childish in many ways with the way things have been designed.

2, I believe that the current development team are completely out of touch with their community. They seem to have no idea what people want in a life simulator game anymore and they don't listen to feedback or criticism.

3, I've already heard mention of a possible multiplayer feature. This does not belong in the sims ever but EA keeps trying to force it anyway.

I really don't want them to move on and leave the Sims 4 in the bug ridden state that it's in right now. Please at least fix the current game before starting a new one. It's becoming almost unbearable to play lately.
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    as I've always said: those who believe Sims5 is going to cure their Sims4 woes are in for a very rude awakening.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I don't feel confident in the current development team to make a game that is any better than the Sims 4 is right now for a few reasons...

1, They seem to be scared of offending anybody. The Sims 4 lacks humor and various aspects that the previous versions had all in the name of creating a "Safe Space" type of game. As much as I love TS4 it does seem a bit childish in many ways with the way things have been designed.

2, I believe that the current development team are completely out of touch with their community. They seem to have no idea what people want in a life simulator game anymore and they don't listen to feedback or criticism.

3, I've already heard mention of a possible multiplayer feature. This does not belong in the sims ever but EA keeps trying to force it anyway.

I really don't want them to move on and leave the Sims 4 in the bug ridden state that it's in right now. Please at least fix the current game before starting a new one. It's becoming almost unbearable to play lately.

A few months ago I was super excited at the thought of TS5. But, not so much anymore. I feel the exact same way about the points you listed.

I don't feel it will be a "life simulator" any more. I think it's going to be a "what's trending now" type of game. And I totally agree that they are wayyyy too worried about offending someone. What happened when it was just a game that we enjoyed and played?

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I'm ready. Take me there and hopefully it will be a better game.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Still enjoying Sims 4 here and it runs great for me, has the elements I need for the type of play and storytelling I most enjoy out of all of the games. Still waiting for lots more to come to the current game and I think it will.
    When 5 does come I'll try it but not currently excited at all by the thought of it. I couldn't play Sims 3.. it's the only game in the series I actively disliked. So the past tells me that could happen again with Sims 5. So I'm definitely in no hurry for the Sims 4 to end in case I have a long dry spell. Also just ending a series without finishing it up is bad form. Like I'm going to be gung ho to spend money on a new one if they do that? Yeah..no.

egTcBMc.png
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    I tried so hard. I was hard on Sims 4 because I wanted it to be better. I believed it could be better. Despite its flaws, I had fun with it and thought that it could be great if it just had more effort put into it. Even when we got packs that were blatantly worse than previous Sims equivalents, I still held out hope that the next packs could be better. I was willing to live without things I desperately wanted (the small pets of TS3, TS2's take on retail, either games' Servos) because I still believed Sims 4 could succeed in other aspects and stand up on its own.

I wanted Sims 4 to go on for a long time so it can get a lot of content. Even if it's not as good as other games, I still had fun and believed that it deserved to have more content and opportunities. I wanted it to be the best it could be. Also, I held on because Sims 5 could easily be worse. As bad as Sims 4 can be, the alternative could be a nightmare. I've been in franchises that seemed to hit rock bottom, then go lower. Better stick with the devil you know, right?

It's been years and nearly every single pack has proven that I shouldn't have had any faith in them in the first place. Scummy business practices and out of touch devs told me not to have faith. This miserable year has been a series of kicks to the face as the game continually tells me that it won't change.

I just can't do it anymore. I don't think I can. I think it's time to move on from TS4 because it's clear that it's a sinking ship. But with the way things are going, I'm 100% sure that TS5 will be another nightmare. Sorry for the rant, but yeah. I feel like we're 🐸🐸🐸🐸 with Sims 4, and we're 🐸🐸🐸🐸 without it.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member
    edited September 2020
    I think if Sims 4 has messed up on so many things it isn't going to get better with Sims 5. That game is not going going to be the huge fix to the issues we have now like Sims 4 definitely wasn't a huge fix on the issues we had with Sims 3. EA/Maxis/Gurus need to find the heart of the game and can't rely on modders to find it.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    Sure if they want to do a better job. The “foundational technology” issues on their own should have been the green light for a new game. Not like we haven’t heard that before to excuse the lack of development on heavily requested features and content.

Sims 4’s technology is nothing to boast about and it’s aged so bad in just 6 years. Cities Skylines, Planet Coaster, Planet Zoo.. all better simulations, better creative tool sets, better game support from a smaller developer (and none require a high-end super computer thanks). What’s Maxis excuse? Aren’t they a professional game developer owned by the biggest video game publisher in the world?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    No matter what happens to TS4 or what they add I'd like to see TS5. Surely the technology alone in the past six years is better than what was built in 2010 for TS4. Right? :D But I fear they went back to thinking multiplayer should be the way to go. I have no idea but if TS4 ends today I wouldn't shed a tear. I did feel sad at the end of TS1 and TS2. Not so bothered by the end of TS3 because it had a long shelf life and so many things I still haven't played, lol. TS4, been there done, it over and over, let's move on.

Example of gameplay in TS4: Fill task for career. Ok, where and what? On the good old Sims PC, watch this time and time again with each new career free in a patch and or in a new pack. omg, Maxis can't you think of another way for a Sim to fill a task for a job? Can't you think of any job in life that doesn't require the Sim PC. It's obvious this is peat and repeat gameplay we see in each new pack if they even contain a new career or aspiration. I would love to be in that room where they bring up the idea for almost everything in this game, and I vetoed it. No, we aren't going to use the Sim pc again. No we aren't going to add a new trait and just use tense for it and just rename it. No, we aren't going to reuse the same asset in the base and just reskin it and call it something else. No, we aren't going to reuse collecting from one pack and add it to the new pack and call it new gameplay. No, we aren't going to more emoicon decor. These players need gameplay not moodlets and buffs. No, we are not going to use the same assets people paid for in a pack and give it away in a free patch and swear we added new content. See, almost everything about TS4 would have been vetoted by me. :p
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    No matter what happens to TS4 or what they add I'd like to see TS5. Surely the technology alone in the past six years is better than what was built in 2010 for TS4. Right? :D But I fear they went back to thinking multiplayer should be the way to go. I have no idea but if TS4 ends today I wouldn't shed a tear. I did feel sad at the end of TS1 and TS2. Not so bothered by the end of TS3 because it had a long shelf life and so many things I still haven't played, lol. TS4, been there done, it over and over, let's move on.

Example of gameplay in TS4: Fill task for career. Ok, where and what? On the good old Sims PC, watch this time and time again with each new career free in a patch and or in a new pack. omg, Maxis can't you think of another way for a Sim to fill a task for a job? Can't you think of any job in life that doesn't require the Sim PC. It's obvious this is peat and repeat gameplay we see in each new pack if they even contain a new career or aspiration. I would love to be in that room where they bring up the idea for almost everything in this game, and I vetoed it. No, we aren't going to use the Sim pc again. No we aren't going to add a new trait and just use tense for it and just rename it. No, we aren't going to reuse the same asset in the base and just reskin it and call it something else. No, we aren't going to reuse collecting from one pack and add it to the new pack and call it new gameplay. No, we aren't going to more emoicon decor. These players need gameplay not moodlets and buffs. No, we are not going to use the same assets people paid for in a pack and give it away in a free patch and swear we added new content. See, almost everything about TS4 would have been vetoted by me. :p

I so agree :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • LeosimsLeosims Posts: 47 Member
    Im not sure,I Think The sims 4 Isnt still Ready,It needs some Fixes before The Sims 5 Releases.
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,065 Member
    It's been time to move on from the Sims 4 for a long time now, but I don't think it'll happen. EA has a long running reputation of being a serial killer of both games and their developers alike, and with the Sims 4 being one of their biggest cash cows yet, they have no reason to stop. I wouldn't be surprised if they're only drawing out TS4 because they don't plan on making the Sims 5.
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    They can make sims 5 if they are willing to make something that actually beats all the previous games. I don't have a computer that would run such a game, but for me to ever want sims5 it would need to have a color wheel, an open world, and seamless animations. A brilliant artificial intelligence wouldn't hurt. I'd also like to see the return of recessive-dominant genes, more customization in CAS. I realize that EA is probably not ready to make such a game nor can most computers run it, so, I think they might want to continue making packs for sims5. I think of some packs I'd like to see for sims5 like Futuristic gameplay, Medieval gameplay, Farming, Fairies, etc.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    KatNip wrote: »
    It's been time to move on from the Sims 4 for a long time now, but I don't think it'll happen. EA has a long running reputation of being a serial killer of both games and their developers alike, and with the Sims 4 being one of their biggest cash cows yet, they have no reason to stop. I wouldn't be surprised if they're only drawing out TS4 because they don't plan on making the Sims 5.

The longer EA draws Sims 4 out,the worse things will get. Pretty soon,the game will become totally unplayable,and people will go to The People of Newbury,Paralives ad other life simulators. I don't think EA wants to risk losing millions of sales by keeping a dying game engine on life support.

I think EA is smart enough to pull the Sims 4 plug soon and give us Sims 5.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    The iceberg has been hit, the ship is sinking, time to get into the lifeboats.
  • PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    edited September 2020
    As someone who has played the Sims since the Sims 1, I don't dislike the Sims 4, but with the Sims1 and Sims 2 I spent a lot of time playing and was sad when they came to an end. For me the Sims 4 does not have the addiction that previous ones had. I find there is no real direction and I have been disappointed with some of the packs that have been brought out, in particular the University pack. We have not been able to make Sims 4 University as it was in the Sims 2 and I find the whole experience of going to University in the Sims 4 a bit of a chore instead of being fun. For me it is a life stage and it should be fun.

There is so much I still have to explore in the Sims 4 but I feel the game lacks direction, perhaps because there is too much content. I feel I am all over the place trying to map out a life for my Sims and those areas where the game should be fun like going out on a hot date doesn't have the same appeal as it did in the Sims 2. Maybe this is because of the lack of certain interactions and also quirky things that used to pop up in the game with Special/Townie Sims in the Sims 2 on community lots.

Having just seen the new Star Wars pack out I was filled with mixed emotions because I am a big Star Wars fan but really do I want this in my Sims game? I am not so sure. I have watched the video and the Sims look awesome and I will probably buy and try out but I really feel the time should have been spent on developing packs that fall more in line from previous Sims games. But I understand that younger players will probably like the Star Wars pack.

For me the Sims should be about sim life and packs should focus on a Sims life and what they do in it from cradle to the grave. Growing up, gaining knowledge, developing skills, school, university, running a business, getting a career, having a family, vacations, etc etc. And we should be able to change our game so we can play it was we want, i.e being able to customize places like University/Vacations Not being able to customize university dorms in the Sims 4 was a big disappointment to me and the style of play in university pack was not fun. In the Sims 2 I often took my Sims off on vacation while at university for a break it made it a lot more fun and gave a break from my Sims studying.

Am I looking forward to a Sims 5? Hmmm not sure at the moment but as a longtime Sims fan I would be trying it out and if not for me then it would be shelved. But it wouldn't be the end of my Sim days as I always have my previous Sim games to play until technology deems them past their sell by date lol
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    KatNip wrote: »

The longer EA draws Sims 4 out,the worse things will get. Pretty soon,the game will become totally unplayable,and people will go to The People of Newbury,Paralives ad other life simulators. I don't think EA wants to risk losing millions of sales by keeping a dying game engine on life support.

I think EA is smart enough to pull the Sims 4 plug soon and give us Sims 5.
    At least with it lasting longer, these life simulation games have an easier barrier to entry. What that business term is: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/barrierstoentry.asp

Honestly perfect time for competition and I hope they enter before the Sims 4 ends. The monopoly needs to end for the life simulation genre. I rather have the newcomer games an easier time to enter soon.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller