The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims 3 stuck in the 2000s/ early 2010s?

Comments

• KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    If you don't download any custom content, then your game will look rather dated.
    There is new content for Sims3 all the time, which makes me happy.
    https://pis3update.tumblr.com/page/2
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Well I am outdated have a great granddaughter who 17 so it does not matter to me, I just love the sims.
  • NyxValkoinenNyxValkoinen Posts: 15 Member
    Sims 3 isn't stuck in the 2010s. It's stuck in the Victorian eras of the late 1800s. Every single house is trying to look Victorian, or slightly sooner like Colonial style. There is only ONE modern house in the Sims, and that's the Wolff couple in Sunset Valley. And even that is a reach because the furniture we have in Sims 3 is decades outdated. There is no way to make a modern home without CC. There's just not any furniture or designs in the game that allow for it. And I've heard people give the excuse "Well Sims 3 is actually the first game, so..." No. The lore has never mattered in the Sims games. It's there, but EA has never designed their actual visuals off it, so why would they start with Sims 3? And only to drop every single lore in the next game, Sims 4? By lore, Sims 4 would be sooner than 3, which means probably more like a Sims Medieval at this time. So why only make 3 the only "lore" related game? It makes no sense.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2020
    @NyxValkoinen - I'm just curious here, but do you have many of the EP/SPs and at least some of the store worlds? Between those and a hefty dose of TS3 store content, I can't say that I agree with your assessment at all, at least not once one gets outside of Sunset Valley. Without my having to design them from scratch or reach for the vast catalogs of player made lots (which I admittedly do anyway just because I like to), and contrary to my silly comment earlier in this thread about my not having left my own house since 1955, many to most of my sims and their neighbors live in and with what I would call late 20th century style housing and furnishings. There will be exceptions here and there for the more eclectic households and neighborhoods, Monte Vista and Dragon Valley styles for example hardly qualify as modern although I wouldn't really want them to be and older style farmhouses can be quite charming especially if my sims are actually running a farm, but I really can't call Bridgeport highrises, Starlight Shores mansions, and the suburban starter to more modern homes in most other worlds like Riverview Victorian.

Then again, I'm not an architect or a designer of any kind in real life so maybe the underlying style of what I call late 20th century anything is really older than I think it is. The apartment building I live in was built in the 1880s and it still has dumbwaiters and a wall compartment in the kitchen for the iceman to deliver from the days before modern refrigeration -- all painted over by now but we can still see them. I like it here and most of the neighborhood's buildings look like this, but sometimes it seems like we are fortunate to have conveniences like running water (most days) and electricity. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,403 Member
    Looking at the TS3 Diesel pack, I think the male clothes are still better than in TS4.
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    Sims 3 isn't stuck in the 2010s. It's stuck in the Victorian eras of the late 1800s. Every single house is trying to look Victorian, or slightly sooner like Colonial style. There is only ONE modern house in the Sims, and that's the Wolff couple in Sunset Valley. And even that is a reach because the furniture we have in Sims 3 is decades outdated. There is no way to make a modern home without CC. There's just not any furniture or designs in the game that allow for it. And I've heard people give the excuse "Well Sims 3 is actually the first game, so..." No. The lore has never mattered in the Sims games. It's there, but EA has never designed their actual visuals off it, so why would they start with Sims 3? And only to drop every single lore in the next game, Sims 4? By lore, Sims 4 would be sooner than 3, which means probably more like a Sims Medieval at this time. So why only make 3 the only "lore" related game? It makes no sense.

What game are you talking about again?

Sorry you seem to be having difficulties with something, that some of us have no problem doing.
    A player can most certainly build an awesome modern (even futuristic) house in Sims 3 without custom content.

If you are having trouble with it ... It's not the game's fault ... :D
    Happy Simming!

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    edited August 2020
    Sims 3 isn't stuck in the 2010s. It's stuck in the Victorian eras of the late 1800s. Every single house is trying to look Victorian, or slightly sooner like Colonial style. There is only ONE modern house in the Sims, and that's the Wolff couple in Sunset Valley.
    What? Even in Sunset Valley, you have lots of modern houses. Well, not 2000's modern, but 1960's modern, similar to the Wolff house you mention. Just from memory, there are the Crumplebottom, Koffi, Langerak, Bunch or Wainwright ones, plus at least three of the empty ones (Pondcentric, Modernehaus (it's even in the name), Cormorant). As igazor mentioned, other towns have more contemporary houses, and even those three houses around the pool in SV's town center are some kind of timeless "modern" buildings.
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    @Turjan ... Those are pretty good points.

There is also a bit of something else at play as well.
    Sunset Valley is not in the Stone Age, but I wouldn't call it super sheik modern either.
    When you look through the neighborhoods, you see houses that look like they belong in some cases.

If you are a Sim and not building a new home from the ground up ...
    Chances are you are going to have to settle for an older house in an established neighborhood.
    That house is going to be like any house that is a few decades old, and probably could use a remodel.
    (which is great training for those learning to build)

To me ... It seems like you would be likely to find a palatial home in Twinbrook ...
    Rather than an ultra modern condo stuffed wall to wall with things out of an Ikea catalogue ... :D

Happy Simming!
    I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
    BlackSand wrote: »
    Sunset Valley is not in the Stone Age, but I wouldn't call it super sheik modern either.
    Yes, that's why I called it 1960's modern (or 1950's, depending on the area). Some of the SV houses play with this theme in a more subtle way. If you read a house name like "Ye Olde Tudor", you'll probably not give it a second look, but despite its name, it's a surprisingly modern house with a half-open kitchen and huge windows. Or the Alto villa, which is going for the "fake old" look, but is clearly modern, going with the "nouveau riche" theme of the Altos. In the latter case, you have to tone down the kitsch (inside and out) yourself.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Victorian and Victorian-style houses still exist RIGHT NOW and probably will for ages (historical societies protect a number of them in the US) and they're a longtime favorite of sims builders in every single game. They're only as dated as you furnish and treat them really.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    I always compared Sunset Valley to an old, well-established beach town like Monterey or Carmel-by-the-Sea in California. The structures and houses there are decades/centuries old, especially closer to the ocean, and most of the usable space has long been occupied, so you don't see a whole lot of new designs except where old buildings were renovated or torn down and replaced. The areas where you do see more modern houses (like Thornton Wolff and his neighbors' houses with the enormous windows and decks facing the ocean) tend to be on the edges of town where expansion happened over time.

Anyway, those towns don't look out of place in 2020 but also wouldn't look out of place in the mid-1900s. The buildings have just lasted a long time, as buildings often do (although less so in California lately). I imagine Sunset Valley to be like those towns.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited August 2020
    If you have into the future you can build so many modern homes, that you do not see now even in 2020, It is how you build them. but if you are into small town those modern homes would look lost. It is a matter of how yo build. You can build most anything in sims 3 and you do not always need cc to do so. How many of you now living in 2020 have a tube elevator, so are you living in the Victorian era. look at the bed in Into the future. well if you want modern clothes, look at the Into the future closes. of even the reg sims clothes, funny I see people on the street wearing sims clothes, sims hair and more. Looks to me sims 3 is right on time. our time. You can play old worlds or new words it is your choice. have fun with your sims. Oh and buy the way how many homes have a food replicator as in sims 3 boy would I love one of them, just tell it what you want and there it is, now call the victorine
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    To be honest; I've never considered the game too dated, and I'm 16! Some 2000s fashion is coming back, after all... no matter how unfortunate. Flare jeans, I'm looking at you!
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited August 2020
    @king_of_simcity7 if you right about your theory god blesses this game I really hate the 2010's and 2020's I do not feel at home in these new both decades we are currently in. I have no cultural point of reference, no chemistry with this new society. I am turning 32 this year in 2020 I am still young but nothing is correct in our current times. I do not care if my beloved sims 3 is retro, old fashion, I am perfectly fine with. I come back to the sims 2 and I feel it more current than sims 3 in their mentality.
    This is the reason sometimes I do not like the sims 4, I feel it too much 2020's plum , even though I like some aspect to the game.
    @infragreen : oh Muse my current <3 for some songs especially Supermassive Black Hole !!!
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    KatNip wrote: »
    To be honest; I've never considered the game too dated, and I'm 16! Some 2000s fashion is coming back, after all... no matter how unfortunate. Flare jeans, I'm looking at you!

Flare jeans can have their time in the sun, low rise jeans though? :anguished:
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited August 2020
    Oh and you forgot the A-flu @InfraGreen , you can vaccinate against the illness at the hospital in the arm in winter in the sims 3, I do not if they keep the name of the illness in the Original Version. Now in 2020 is Covid-19.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    KatNip wrote: »

Flare jeans can have their time in the sun, low rise jeans though? :anguished:

Now that’s just embarrassing... whoever took them out of the closet, put them back!! :s
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Yes. The game is a tad dated. I don't think it is super noticeable yet. It is really noticeable in the sims 2 where it has the outdated hairstyles and outfits. They primarily use landline phones and use large clunky TVs. It looks like a 2000s teen movie.
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member

lol what?

You know you can literally... make your own houses? Or download new houses?

Most houses were built many decades or even centuries ago, hence the style. I'm from England not America but the house I live in was built in the 14th century. Had a lot of work done & extensions since then obviously :D

And since the Sims (originally) is based in an idyllic small town, and not a modern made urban dystopia then the housing style just makes sense.

But yeah, literally just build your own house.

As for furniture, that's what stuff packs are for. Plenty of modern furniture in my game, even got a super high def TV that covers my entire wall., a tablet, gaming PC, VR goggles, modern cabinets, beds, sofas etc. Heck if you have ITF you have futuristic furniture! Then ofc there's CC, also create a style, you can take a dated looking rug and make it look brand new with simply a splash of colour or pattern without any CC.

ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,425 Member
    Flare jeans were known as bell-bottom jeans in the 60s and 70s. Yes, I know, I'm freakin' old.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,116 Member
    edited September 2020
    Flare jeans were known as bell-bottom jeans in the 60s and 70s. Yes, I know, I'm freakin' old.

^Yuuuup!

And HEY! I LOVE the flair jeans from the 90's and always will! :star: I usually look for them when I need to go shopping for jeans. Hee hee! :mrgreen:

b7164880271574a392a7f4a9da5e49db.jpg
    #nostalgia

There are some patterns and clothing in CAS that I consider dated, but only because it was stuff they moved over from The Sims 2...

And EA has always thrown in some form of dated content from the 1950's - 1970's just to change things up or make it feel realistic. They seem to use the 70's style more often in some of these homes, especially in Sunset Valley, and...I really wish they hadn't. Yuck!!! 🤮

No offense to those who lived through the 70s and loved the style. :p

I'm a 1990's - 2000's fashion girl all the way! :star: It reminds me of the good old days of my youth. <3 So in that regard, Sims 3 fashions (most of them) will always appeal to me. :)
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    emorrill wrote: »
    And EA has always thrown in some form of dated content from the 1950's - 1970's just to change things up or make it feel realistic. They seem to use the 70's style more often in some of these homes, especially in Sunset Valley, and...I really wish they hadn't. Yuck!!! 🤮
    Oh, you're not into that white+brown+orange mix (ok, maybe late 60's)? Heh. I guess I wasn't into that one even in the 70's, although my parents were very fond of it, which is why I have a vivid image of that style in my memories.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Turjan wrote: »
    Oh, you're not into that white+brown+orange mix (ok, maybe late 60's)? Heh. I guess I wasn't into that one even in the 70's, although my parents were very fond of it, which is why I have a vivid image of that style in my memories.
    But that look is so groovy though, neat-o and really happening in a far out kind of way... :p

(yeah, I know...there's an "Ok, Boomer" just around every corner these days)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,116 Member
    Turjan wrote: »

@Turjan ^Not. At. ALL!!! :confounded: Yucky yucks! :p
    Hubby and I be looking at houses for sale in different areas where he might get a job and any house with brown paneling I'm like, "That's getting painted over!" :neutral:

Hee hee!

My parents got married in 1974 and they always joked that they "lucked out" having wedding colors that weren't yellow, orange or brown. :p They married February 8th and chose to go with the Valentine colors of Red and White. :blush:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg