Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To Look real or not real????

Comments

• empkaileenaempkaileena Posts: 21 Member
    Sims 4 has the perfect art in my opinion. On today after ... 6 years? The game still looks very pretty. Game that has "realistic" art tend to age very badly and very fast because technology shifts so fast to better, in cartoonish games this is not rlly a problem.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    no doubt you have seen the Forge advert, what about sims that look like that??? the technology is there, so if and when sims5 does come out, I'm wondering how they will look. if they look lik ethe forge characters in the advert I would be more than happy if their going for cartoon again.

I don't know what Forge is.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    Sims 4 looks fine to me. I like the cartoony look. My Sims are Sims, not humans. I'd be creeped out to play human look-a-likes. :#
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    no doubt you have seen the Forge advert, what about sims that look like that??? the technology is there, so if and when sims5 does come out, I'm wondering how they will look. if they look lik ethe forge characters in the advert I would be more than happy if their going for cartoon again.

You and me both. Is this American and could they post a link?
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    i prefer the ts4 artstyle ... that said sims has never looked real anyway.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited September 2020
    I think ts4 is like good in between for me
    or maybe like just a little more realistic perhaps

I don't like when things are super cartoony or super realistic

super cartoony I just don't like cause it feels like ur playing with doll house simulator

and super realistic makes you feel weird about playing in general cause like how can u tell ur sims to do anything when they staring into your soul judgingly
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    I am kind of in the middle, if it could keep some of its bright cartoony vibes while also looking a little more realistic I would be happy. Really its the looks everyone gets with mods that I want in the base game (I'm kind of against using mods myself). My biggest complaint with CAS right now I guess is the stiff lifeless weird hair. But overall I like the way the visuals have changed from the first Sims
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    While TS4 sims look a lot better than TS3 sims I still prefer the TS2 look. For me it's more balanced and there is NO clay hair. Also have much more flexibility in crafting their appearance, though that's more a CAS issue.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I know this is an unpopular opinion here but I actually love the clay looking hair. It looks so shiny and smooth. Realistic style hair textures never seem to look right to me in games. Like in the Sims 3 the sims skin details and everything look so nice but the hair textures in game(not cas) are so weird looking, they appear rather dull and lacking in the natural shine that hair usually has.
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    edited September 2020
    Simburian wrote: »

This is the add I was talking about. I love the way these look.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz1Wnsk8FH8
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Ive seen too many sims meant to be "realistic" when in reality they're the very definition of uncanny valley. Im sticking with the art style meant for TS4. Whenever I look for CC I always look for Maxis Match.
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    I like them as they are in TS4, they are the perfect blend of realistic enough to care about and cartoonish enough not to be freaky. TS3 sims were a bit creepy looking. TS2 sims no complaints there either. I play a lot of occult families in game so the asthetic goes well with that, the only thing I'd like to change in CAS is the amount of occults, we need more. (Can't' get that hint in enough!)
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,321 Member
    The Sims 4 art style is just about perfect for me. It is simple and clean, but still has enough detail to make scenes look interesting. I love the way the sims look, because I really like "cute". I don't like a more realistic looks in games. I find that more realistic styles look sort of creepy to me a game, especially for the characters. In other games that I play, I definitely am drawn to the art styles that are cute and cartoony or that are artistically beautiful, but not trying to look photo-realistic.

But, I also often prefer animated films and TV shows (such as anime) over live actor ones as well. So it's just my preference in general.

My only complaint about the Sims 4 style is that I wish the eyes and mouths of the female sims included more options that are similar to the ones available to the male sims, or that we could have access to both male and female options for facial features for any sim just as we can for clothing and hairstyles. A lot of the female options look overly exaggerated feminine to me and I don't like them so much. But that's really the only objection I have to the Sims 4 art style.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    I really like the cartoonish style we have right now and would never want my sims to look realistic. Also, no air phisics, too resource intensive for something so little makes no sense and, even when it's well done, it looks kind of weird.
    Happy simming!
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

This is the add I was talking about. I love the way these look.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz1Wnsk8FH8

Oh No, that's definitely not for me, I would 1000% never buy TS5 if they looked like that.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2020
    I like the look from Sims 2 through 4 as I feel graphics should not be the one area that should be used to grade an program. However, I do not know about using realistic characters but I am willing to at least try it and see how it will work out.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member
    edited September 2020
    Semi stylized realism for me, like my less good looking twin brother avi. :p

I use realistic eyes/lips/ facial hair and skin tone overlays, but the rest is maxis or maxis-match. I don’t use alpha hair on my sims, although I‘m no fan of the blobby clay hair either. Somewhere in between will do.
    I’m also not crazy about some of the cartoony walk styles. The ‘really has to pee’ walkie tends to aggravate me. I mean when I really need to go I wouldn’t walk like that. I‘d run.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I like the art style of TS4

Me too. I realised recently this is the first generation of Sims that I haven't downloaded a load of custom skins/eyes/defaults. <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    I like the base game/clay style. Yes, the more realistic style is visually impressive but it's not about realism for me, it's about charm and character and I think the standard look is good from that point of view.
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    I like the art style of ts4 but I am curious what it would look like if they made it realistic
    like the people of newbery (I am pretty sure that turned out to be a scam but I am not 100% sure) you could see dust and dirt on the car windscreen
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I like things to look more real. It depends on your personal taste.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,442 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I like the art style of TS4

Me too. I realised recently this is the first generation of Sims that I haven't downloaded a load of custom skins/eyes/defaults. <3

Absolutely. In past games, I felt like I really needed the CC to improve the looks of the Sims. But in Sims 4, I only needed it in the first couple of years or so. I'd been weeding more and more CC out of my game as we get new packs and a better variety of styles for both hair and clothing. Most of my CC tends to be fantasy, gothy, sci-fi, or just unique pieces plus historic and cultural. But TS4 has a lot more of that than past games so I've actually been playing without CC for a couple of years now and it's awesome.

Also, definitely in favor of TS4 art style in general. I don't like the alpha look that much anymore, and I definitely don't want Sims looking too realistic because creepy.
    #Team Occult
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,452 Member
    I am already heavily invested emotionally in my Sims. Were they to look much more realistic, it would be very hard to separate the mind from the fantasy, if you would. The Sims in Sims4 are already vastly improved in looks over Sims2 Sims and even Sims3 Sims and their pudding faces! I take care of my Sims, regardless. I'm not one who goes around seeking to end their little pixelated lives, either. I tend to treat them like characters in a book or a favorite movie/TV show, with TLC.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I know this is an unpopular opinion here but I actually love the clay looking hair. It looks so shiny and smooth. Realistic style hair textures never seem to look right to me in games. Like in the Sims 3 the sims skin details and everything look so nice but the hair textures in game(not cas) are so weird looking, they appear rather dull and lacking in the natural shine that hair usually has.

I also really like the clay hair as well. I think the sims 4 sims look the best out of the four games. I hate the hair in the sims 2 and three and would get cc to replace it but if I get cc in the sims 4 I tend to get maxis match.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • IrishSimmer21IrishSimmer21 Posts: 464 Member
    edited September 2020
    I like the cartoony style. I don't use alpha cc at all. I don't want my sims to look very realistic.