Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you recommend buying the Journey to Batuu Game Pack?

Comments

• Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    No! I do not recommend it.
    Aquarius94 wrote: »
    Should I spend my money on it (i only get £5 a week pocket money)

No. Save that money for a pack with some real depth. One that isn't just recycled content with Star Wars paint slapped on it. The freakin laundry and knitting packs are worth more than this.

Or check some reviews out before you decide.

I have watched all of LGR's reviews yet I dont know what to buy

LGR hasn't reviewed this pack yet and he's already said he's probably not going to. He bought it, played it, hated it, and decided he won't do a review for it. And probably won't be doing anymore TS4 reviews anytime soon. So I guess that should be a bit of an indicator.
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member

No. Save that money for a pack with some real depth. One that isn't just recycled content with Star Wars paint slapped on it. The freakin laundry and knitting packs are worth more than this.

LGR hasn't reviewed this pack yet and he's already said he's probably not going to. He bought it, played it, hated it, and decided he won't do a review for it. And probably won't be doing anymore TS4 reviews anytime soon. So I guess that should be a bit of an indicator.

For this pack I watched Carl's review
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    @kingsean222

It really doesnt matter to me. Id rather not risk batuu costumes being the latest trend in townie fashion in my game unless officially stated that batuu costumes stay in batuu.

They have stated it. Now, whether it's true in practice may be different. :p
  • StrawberryNightmareStrawberryNightmare Posts: 61 Member
    edited September 2020
    If there isn’t anything grabbing your attention that you really want you might be better off saving your money for the expansion pack later this year they said they’d announce soon.

If something doesn’t grab my attention immediately without reviews I don’t usually buy it straight away and grab it on sale later on to complete the collection (won’t be doing that with SW:JtB). So yeah that’s my advice, wait and see what the EP will be as it might be something you love. :)
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Seasons? Do you have seasons? Seasons.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited September 2020
    Yeah if you want your Sims walking around in Batuu costumes

That users either joking or trolling as the items don't automatically spawn on townies.

That's depressing, I usually love his reviews.

(apologies for going off topic with this comment)
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    > @InuMiroLover said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Townies wearing random Batuu costumes?
    >
    > *adds this to my growing list of reasons why I will never buy this pack*

Let's be fair here, the person clearly used cas.fulleditmode to spark un-needed controversy. Townies don't use masks to begin with and that is judith wards base outfit. Have you ever seen a sim that changes their base outfit on their own?

That's what I was thinking too .... that someone edited her appearance on purpose to rile people up. I don't seriously think EA would allow that kind of randomness to intrude on normal, everyday players games if they bought the pack.

I wish I could upload my screen shot of a sim at the spice festival wearing a perfectly normal shirt and trousers and the university mascot head. Or the one with Nancy landgraab wearing a bike helmet at the romance festival. I don’t think it’s intended but it’s a bug they can’t get rid of. I don’t have faith these masks won’t be the same as they are in the hat category.
  • Cassieb95Cassieb95 Posts: 347 Member
    Yes! I'm really enjoying it.
    I like it!
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Onverser wrote: »

That users either joking or trolling as the items don't automatically spawn on townies.

Now they can go do that for all the other packs too.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm sorry to have to say this but no I do not recommend buying it. I was really excited by the prospect of a Star Wars pack and I thought it could be amazing. I bought it and yes there are fun bits but overall... I have to admit that I am disappointed. And I don't like saying that.

The world is beautiful but there are so many rabbit holes. That would be ok so long as the gameplay was good but unfortunately so far I haven't found that to be the case.

They said that there are 50 missions and that sounds very impressive. But then you realise that all of the missions are just different combinations of the same few interactions and those interactions aren't all that interesting. For example, in the first order most of the 'missions' consist of completing something like the following checklist:

- intimidate 3 citizens
    - check IDs
    - Make arrest

Sure, there are a few variations. Sometimes you get to fly a space ship (which is a rabbithole obviously) or something like that but overall it's mostly just rabbitholes and talking to different sims.

It would have been great if the resistance base and the first order base had been like the temple from Jungle Adventure: there could have been a series of rooms with doors that you can only open by dismantling traps. There could also have been guards patrolling inside the base who you'd have to incapacitate eg with your lightsabre or with a blaster (presumably set to stun) in order to keep going. At the middle of the base could have been information that you'd have to steal or something. And the base and all its traps would reset every 24 hours like the JA temples. I would have loved that.

Also, nothing seems to happen once you get to the top of the first order which is disappointing.

Maybe the Resistance will be more interesting, I'll try that next. But, based on what I have seen so far I wouldn't recommend buying it. I so wanted to like this pack. But I just don't. And that makes me sad.

Lightsabres are cool but without a jedi lifestate they feel ultimately kind of pointless. I think that a jedi lifestate with a perks system like that of vampires and spellcasters could have been great.

Also, spellcasters can't use magic on Batuu (just like vampires can't use their vampire powers on Batuu and aliens can't use their alien powers). So, you can forget about making a spellcaster and pretending that they are a jedi who can use 'the force' (aka in this instance magic).

I'd hoped that this pack would involve playing through a story like Strangerville did but there's none of that in this pack. Without that, it feels like you are just completing mission after mission with no end goal like defeating the mother in sight. I'll say it again: when you get to the top of the first order, nothing happens.

Of course, aliens are not different lifestates and I don't have a problem with that. This is only a game pack and adding lots of different alien lifestates would have probably been too much for a gamepack. But I wish they had made the alien features into skin details which could be inherited by their children. The fact that it's just a mask and can't be worn by kids breaks the immersion.

And yes I am disappointed that we can't romance Kylo or Rey. But that's really only a minor thing.

There could have been so much more to this pack. That's why I'm disappointed.

I hope I don't come across as though I'm being overly negative. I don't want to be. And I don't want to belittle the views of people who are enjoying the pack, or to attack the simgurus. But I'd be lying if I said that I like this pack and I honestly can't recommend buying it. I think at half price it'd be worth it.

I'm not sure that I necessarily regret buying this pack. It will be nice to have the option to send my sims to Batuu and having new aspirations is always nice. Plus there's some nice CAS and BB. But, I do think that it's one of my least favourite GPs. And that's surprising to me, since I am not a realism player. I think a Star Wars pack was a great idea but I do not think that it was implemented well. I have to admit that.

This is the best type of review. You tried it and found it lacking. You're being honest, not negative. :)

ETA: And you're still welcome in the positive thoughts thread. :p
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited September 2020
    I haven't used the actual gameplay yet, but the build/buy items have already been helpful. There's a nice curved couch that can be either a separate L-shaped couch, or you can put two together for a nice U-shaped couch. There are some cute little coffee tables and dining tables that look modern and light up.

On a related topic, months ago I downloaded an awesome cc Star Wars stuff pack, so I have Darth Vader sinks and trashcans in my game! :smiley: I haven't been able to find the link to share, though.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • YunaYuna Posts: 231 Member
    It's OK... Maybe you should wait for when it's on sale.
    It's ok for the sake of furniture...
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I'm sorry to have to say this but no I do not recommend buying it. I was really excited by the prospect of a Star Wars pack and I thought it could be amazing. I bought it and yes there are fun bits but overall... I have to admit that I am disappointed. And I don't like saying that.

The world is beautiful but there are so many rabbit holes. That would be ok so long as the gameplay was good but unfortunately so far I haven't found that to be the case.

They said that there are 50 missions and that sounds very impressive. But then you realise that all of the missions are just different combinations of the same few interactions and those interactions aren't all that interesting. For example, in the first order most of the 'missions' consist of completing something like the following checklist:

- intimidate 3 citizens
    - check IDs
    - Make arrest

Sure, there are a few variations. Sometimes you get to fly a space ship (which is a rabbithole obviously) or something like that but overall it's mostly just rabbitholes and talking to different sims.

It would have been great if the resistance base and the first order base had been like the temple from Jungle Adventure: there could have been a series of rooms with doors that you can only open by dismantling traps. There could also have been guards patrolling inside the base who you'd have to incapacitate eg with your lightsabre or with a blaster (presumably set to stun) in order to keep going. At the middle of the base could have been information that you'd have to steal or something. And the base and all its traps would reset every 24 hours like the JA temples. I would have loved that.

Also, nothing seems to happen once you get to the top of the first order which is disappointing.

Maybe the Resistance will be more interesting, I'll try that next. But, based on what I have seen so far I wouldn't recommend buying it. I so wanted to like this pack. But I just don't. And that makes me sad.

Lightsabres are cool but without a jedi lifestate they feel ultimately kind of pointless. I think that a jedi lifestate with a perks system like that of vampires and spellcasters could have been great.

Also, spellcasters can't use magic on Batuu (just like vampires can't use their vampire powers on Batuu and aliens can't use their alien powers). So, you can forget about making a spellcaster and pretending that they are a jedi who can use 'the force' (aka in this instance magic).

I'd hoped that this pack would involve playing through a story like Strangerville did but there's none of that in this pack. Without that, it feels like you are just completing mission after mission with no end goal like defeating the mother in sight. I'll say it again: when you get to the top of the first order, nothing happens.

Of course, aliens are not different lifestates and I don't have a problem with that. This is only a game pack and adding lots of different alien lifestates would have probably been too much for a gamepack. But I wish they had made the alien features into skin details which could be inherited by their children. The fact that it's just a mask and can't be worn by kids breaks the immersion.

And yes I am disappointed that we can't romance Kylo or Rey. But that's really only a minor thing.

There could have been so much more to this pack. That's why I'm disappointed.

I hope I don't come across as though I'm being overly negative. I don't want to be. And I don't want to belittle the views of people who are enjoying the pack, or to attack the simgurus. But I'd be lying if I said that I like this pack and I honestly can't recommend buying it. I think at half price it'd be worth it.

I'm not sure that I necessarily regret buying this pack. It will be nice to have the option to send my sims to Batuu and having new aspirations is always nice. Plus there's some nice CAS and BB. But, I do think that it's one of my least favourite GPs. And that's surprising to me, since I am not a realism player. I think a Star Wars pack was a great idea but I do not think that it was implemented well. I have to admit that.

This is the best type of review. You tried it and found it lacking. You're being honest, not negative. :)

ETA: And you're still welcome in the positive thoughts thread. :p

Aww thank you @simgirl1010 that's very kind of you. Glad I didn't come across as negative and I hope I will pop in on the positive thread :) it may not be my most favourite pack but it's great to have a place where I can share what I did find enjoy and to see what other people are up to with the pack!
  • PurpleThistlesPurpleThistles Posts: 618 Member
    I wasn’t interested in buying it, however I did anyways because my experience of the sims packs is there is always something in them that makes it worth while. I’ve been playing it all day and love it! My sim has already completed the resistance story missions and working on the scoundrel missions. I think it’s really well done and have only encountered one little bug so far. It’s a totally different way of playing, a bit like sims medieval in having quests and so forth but I’m surprised how much i have enjoyed it.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member

It takes me forever to do everything in the packs that gets released. I still need to beat Mother, do everything in Sulani, and I'm only on genaration 5 of the family I played since launch. Oh I have not played with mermaids, and no telling what else. But so far I am enjoying planning on what/how to enhance the Batuu lots with other amenities where it still looks steampunkish. This will take a while for me. I'm not sure when I'll start the missions.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
    edited September 2020
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I haven't used the actual gameplay yet, but the build/buy items have already been helpful. There's a nice curved couch that can be either a separate L-shaped couch, or you can put two together for a nice U-shaped couch. There are some cute little coffee tables and dining tables that look modern and light up.

On a related topic, months ago I downloaded an awesome cc Star Wars stuff pack, so I have Darth Vader storm trooper sinks and trashcans in my game! :smiley: I haven't been able to find the link to share, though.

Edit: Here is a pic of one couch piece and a coffee/end table:

50321374722_957029a84b_c.jpg

Here is a dining table (plus the trashcan):

50321374912_b348935b9b_c.jpg

These items will look better in your game. My graphics card is getting old.

• Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Thanks for the honesty here guys. Hopefully mainly those that actually have played it are voting. I’m curious about it as well and want to hear thoughts from those who have bought and played it. So far I’m personally really thinking at least waiting for a sale.
    I've done a little gameplay now. I'm annoyed by the fact that Sims can't wear their normal outfits or hats on Batuu. I also don't like the open world feel. I just have to keep stumbling around looking for buildings instead of easily clicking on a map like usual.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member

- intimidate 3 citizens
    - check IDs
    - Make arrest

This is the part that first concerned me the most when I heard about this pack.....that the missions would just be repurposed versions of aspirations (which are already very poor.) Talk to 5 people, grill 3 times, stare at computer for 3 hours, etc. Just stuff that isn’t all that fun to do.

Even though I’m not interested in the pack, I’m bummed it turned out that way. I at least wanted this game to hopefully show some new advancements and improvements to gameplay that I could maybe look forward to in future packs. 🤷🏽‍♀️😑
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    My favorite pack of this year B)
    I love the build, buy, and debug content. <3
    a lot of CAS content to B)

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I am holding off on voting as I had not got into yet but it is no surprise that this is an pack that is restricted even if it is an vacation destination spot and you cannot even edit the neighborhood, the only reason I got it, I got it for half price at the price of an stuff pack as I felt that what I felt it was worth to me. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Jess_KimbaJess_Kimba Posts: 20 Member
    Do pets interact with droids at all?
  • BaishunBaishun Posts: 23 Member
    It's OK... Maybe you should wait for when it's on sale.
    The pack is beautiful, but it really seems like they missed the mark on the gameplay.

- Escort missions break and lock you out of all interactions, and the only way to fix this is to quit the game (losing everything since you won't have the option to save).
    - No Occult abilities on Batuu so you can't even fake being Force sensitive.
    - Some of the missions do a terrible job of informing you of what you're supposed to do.
    - Some of the missions seem ridiculously tedious.
    - Can't play an alien of any sort on Batuu, despite several Star Wars aliens being added to he game.
    - All of the aliens were added using clothing pieces or tattoos that completely modify your character when worn, which is a little ridiculous.

The Pack was only $20, so I don't feel like it's the end of the world. But it certainly wasn't what I was expecting. I think they spent way more on art and design than on functionality, gameplay, and keeping the spirit of Star Wars in tact inside the game.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    BUT
    Im also not telling people what to or not to buy. I personally refuse to buy it because its too niche and would have zero use for me and adsd absolutely nothing. The CAS and build items arent any better than I can already get through CC
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.