Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you recommend buying the Journey to Batuu Game Pack?

This is the first pack I didn't buy on day one. For some reason I'm not that enthusiastic about the game play, still I'm a little on the fence- maybe there's some CAS items or furniture that make it worth it. What's your experience with the pack so far? Would you recommend it?

Do you recommend buying the Journey to Batuu Game Pack? 160 votes

Yes! I'm really enjoying it.
25%
bshag4lvBlkBarbiegalAprilDawnCamkatHoneydewdanacnbrettmcruddIsb917friendlysimmerscchant86robyngravesMoon_Willowmarcel21PurpleThistlessmurf45blueTeeSeaelelunicydctf344GracieO312Sindocat 41 votes
It's OK... Maybe you should wait for when it's on sale.
13%
CK213Yunasimm621elanorbretonalanmichael1alyssasim87kiwi84kingsean222quinhobpAncaryvanPotterheadSimqpmommarh2006fanMeadowThayerrRob_E_CoyoteRavenSpitRememberJoyKaitlinMarieSimyimMadavery 21 votes
No! I do not recommend it.
61%
julienrob2004Icewolfjeepjeepcatalexspoom13orangeplumbobCabelle1863MartinvAlrynnNyxLunaStarKartaimcorralXBanana00CreamXjimbbqIObelleWyrrenNausBariSaxyempkaileenaladybreidmarberg 98 votes

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    That is my exact question. I would like to know how versatile the BB items actually are.
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    That is my exact question. I would like to know how versatile the BB items actually are.

Check 'My Packs' or watch one video that showcases them, that's the only reliable method. Anyways, 90% of them are not really usable anywhere else.
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I bought it mostly for the build/buy stuff. There are some pretty cool items which could also be used in an industrial/grimy kind of setting.

I will be adding to my science lab, my underground bunker, some of my grimy city builds etc. There are a couple of styles of the sabaac table which could be added to bars. Some items would suit general space/alien themes. I don't think there is much you could not use outside of Batuu.

I can't wait to see some of the creative builds on the gallery.

But if you want it for the gameplay... I'd say don't bother. Unless you really really want the droids.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm also interested to see what people think who've played it. Hopefully this post won't get filled with people who haven't bought the pack and just wanna complain so we can see actual opinions from those who have played with it. :)

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited September 2020
    You need more options. It's fine for me, but not others.
    For me, it's "Yes, I am really enjoying it."
    But I am playing it as a theme park on my sim's planet, not an actual world in a galaxy far, far away.
    They are just there to immerse themselves in Star Wars, have a role-play adventure, bring home some swag and unlock content for their cosplay hobby.

The sims in alien costumes, non-livable world with no lots to build on, no forces powers, does not hinder how I am playing it.

I think "It's OK... Maybe you should wait for when it's on sale." Who like Star Wars, or don't mind it and could use a change of venue once in while and have an alternative to Selvadorada and Granite Falls, and can find use for the buy/build content, clothes, and hair.

"No! I do not recommend it."
    For simmers who could care less about Star Wars and have no use for the content, nor Star Wars fans who want a world in the Star Wars universe their sims can call home, no rabbit holes, more sandboxy, Force powers game play equal to vampires and spell casters, and have aliens as new life states, not sims in costume.

Oh, and if you are a Reylo, yes, but wait for a sale, because it's a way you can give Rey and Kylo a happy ending.
    You are going to have to do some work-arounds though. :)
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • FlyingTaco112FlyingTaco112 Posts: 8 New Member
    Yes! I'm really enjoying it.
    I bought it and enjoying it.
  • Rob_E_CoyoteRob_E_Coyote Posts: 51 Member
    The assets are pretty good, lot to recommend and not just useable for Star Wars, can see a lot that would be good for some Steampunk or industrial vibes.
    Gameplay depth is...not great. Especially with the restrictions that seem to be apparent on Batuu, if they're not bugs.

This should have been a stuff pack.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I'm also interested to see what people think who've played it. Hopefully this post won't get filled with people who haven't bought the pack and just wanna complain so we can see actual opinions from those who have played with it. :)

You know thats not going to happen. Ha ha. If I do buy it then I'll come back and vote. Too bad we couldn't have a "verified" purchaser mode on here. Thanks in advance to those who have.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • kingsean222kingsean222 Posts: 12 New Member
    The sabacc table is really cool aswell though, I will definitely use that in normal gameplay. I give the pack 3/10. Better than Dine out, Forest retreat and spa day but that really isnt saying much.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Yeah if you want your Sims walking around in Batuu costumes

Townies wearing random Batuu costumes?

*adds this to my growing list of reasons why I will never buy this pack*
  • kingsean222kingsean222 Posts: 12 New Member
    > @InuMiroLover said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Townies wearing random Batuu costumes?
    >
    > *adds this to my growing list of reasons why I will never buy this pack*

Let's be fair here, the person clearly used cas.fulleditmode to spark un-needed controversy. Townies don't use masks to begin with and that is judith wards base outfit. Have you ever seen a sim that changes their base outfit on their own?
  • AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 711 Member
    This is also the first pack I didn't buy on first day but that's because I've been on a budget since corona virus. I also haven't played since the first couple of weeks Eco Living came out, I just haven't really been in the mood. I think I'm going to wait for EP10 to buy a bundle because I'm still missing Knitting as well. I'm not the biggest fan of Star Wars but have enjoyed the movies, just not sure how much I'd be playing this, same for Vampires and Realm of Magic. I prefer "human" packs.
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 370 Member
    I'm not voting because my recommendation would be based entirely on what the person wanted out of the pack.

The build/buy mode is very useful if you want to make Star Wars builds, and could work well for post-apocalypse, industrial, or--to a lesser extent--other sci-fi builds.

The CAS elements are fewer than I'd hoped there would be, but they're nice Star Wars-y outfits.

The gameplay is ... basically exactly what I thought it would be before the pack was even officially announced. They (Disney) wanted to make a pack that would let you play in the Star Wars universe, but that wouldn't violate the canon of the movies (which is a rant for another day). They also didn't want to let you do too much that you couldn't do in the theme park--so no killing, no building a house and living there, no hooking up with the characters. Aliens are costumes, not new lifestates. Rey and Kylo Ren are the only Force users at the time the park (and JTB) is set, so you don't get to learn to use the Force. You can build droids, but only the ones you can build at Galaxy's Edge.

The way The Sims is built, they can't stop people from doing that with cheats and mods and workarounds, but they weren't going to facilitate any of it. I expect whatever licensing agreements EA has with Disney already have a lengthy list of things that you can't put in a Star Wars game, and I'd bet the specific agreement for JTB included even more things, possibly starting with how they can't make this a simulator for acting out more adult fantasies.

My biggest disappointments are not the inability to have a quick snog with Daisy Ridley--that's a general disappointment with my life, but not this pack. I'd say the three biggest disappointments for me are:

1. Lots too small. I don't mind rabbit holes for food and sleeping and whatnot. But the lots we got are too small. If Oga's cantina only takes up a 30x30 space, great. Put it on a 64x64, and let us play with the rest of the space ourselves.
    2. Aliens as hats. Not aliens as costumes. I'm fine with that. And they probably figured they'd make aliens hats so that you couldn't put a different hat on an alien and cause a conflict like you'd get with CC hair and hats. But I think they should have gone the extra mile and made aliens skin features and just made those specific skin features disable hats and hair. Yeah, it'd be a lot more work, but it would mean you wouldn't have to alter every single outfit on a sim to make them an alien, and then just make sure they never bathe, woohoo, or get a job with a hat or they'll temporarily become human.
    3. Nothing for kids to do. Kids and toddler basically only existing as a speed bump on the way to become teenagers is a long-running issue with TS4. Here, in the attempt to make a middle ground between JTB being a theme park and an actual Star Wars experience, they didn't include any kid activities. Yeah, maybe its irresponsible for kids to go on missions for the Resistance or First Order, but as far as Galaxy's Edge goes ... look, *I'm* the weirdo for, as a single adult man, going to Disneyland solo and planning a trip to Galaxy's Edge as soon as it's safe for me to go where I'll make a droid, build a lightsaber, and join the Resistance. It's an experience meant for kids. And Star Wars is mostly about teens and older having adventures, but let's not pretend it doesn't have a history of child endangerment in the stories--Anakin Skywalker, all those kids at the Jedi Temple, Cindel Towani, young Boba Fett in the Clone Wars cartoons. I was waiting for the pack to come out to figure out whether I wanted to make a teen or child version of myself to go to Batuu, and obviously now it's the teen, because all the child could do is talk to people and dance at the cantina.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Check YouTube. Carl's Guide did a honest review. It appears to be a $20 rinse and repeat pack.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    @kingsean222

It really doesnt matter to me. Id rather not risk batuu costumes being the latest trend in townie fashion in my game unless officially stated that batuu costumes stay in batuu.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    > @InuMiroLover said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >

Let's be fair here, the person clearly used cas.fulleditmode to spark un-needed controversy. Townies don't use masks to begin with and that is judith wards base outfit. Have you ever seen a sim that changes their base outfit on their own?

That's what I was thinking too .... that someone edited her appearance on purpose to rile people up. I don't seriously think EA would allow that kind of randomness to intrude on normal, everyday players games if they bought the pack.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    > @InuMiroLover said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >

That's what I was thinking too .... that someone edited her appearance on purpose to rile people up. I don't seriously think EA would allow that kind of randomness to intrude on normal, everyday players games if they bought the pack.

The randomness of the fashion of TS4 festival visitors is way more shocking than every Star Wars mask.
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    Should I spend my money on it (i only get £5 a week pocket money)
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    I didn't vote as I didn't buy the pack. This is the FIRST pack since TS2 that I've not bought on day one as it was released. I knew I'd be hanging back on this one though. It's not the theme (I could have enjoyed more Star Wars in the game, but not done in this way).

From the reviews I've seen, it's exactly what I thought it would be. On this, I'm very disappointed, as I had hoped I was wrong.

The pictures look nice though. And I'm glad I don't have to pay to look at them. :)
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited September 2020

No. Save that money for a pack with some real depth. One that isn't just recycled content with Star Wars paint slapped on it. The freakin laundry and knitting packs are worth more than this.

Or check some reviews out before you decide.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    Aquarius94 wrote: »

No. Save that money for a pack with some real depth. One that isn't just recycled content with Star Wars paint slapped on it. The freakin laundry and knitting packs are worth more than this.

Knitting and Laundry have both annoying bugs 😭
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member

Knitting and Laundry have both annoying bugs 😭

Yes. Yes they do :D
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    edited September 2020

I have watched all of LGR's reviews yet I dont know what to buy
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king