Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Star Wars - I simply don't understand......

muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
First, i'll say this. Based on my current understanding of what the pack is like (from much reading and youtube videos) I don't think I can justify paying $29.99 (CAD) for the new GP when it seems to be ..... more so than not... just a large stuff pack of build/buy items that pretty much only makes sense in the only world you can't build in.

Plus the spellcasters, aliens, and vampires can't use their occult powers in the new world of Batuu. And though you can use all the build items in all the other worlds.... apparently the new CAS items are limited to Batuu.

This has me a bit confused about the new GP. The sims team designed the new GP so that the CAS only works in one area of the game... and the build/buy items only work in a completely different area of the game. I mean.... seriously?

Speaking of build/buy items.... that's where it's the most confusing. Why create a world about something as popular as Star Wars.... add a great list of Star Wars build/buy items..... then decide to not offer the opportunity to use those Star Wars items in the Star Wars world?

I don't know about anyone else.... but i'm not interested in building a Star Wars house in New Crest, or Brindleton Bay. Talk about out of place. It just won't fit in.

Why didn't the sim's team offer a lot for us to build on? It could of been maybe 2 lots over in the corner somewhere away from their Star Wars design.

When the sims team said the worlds would be getting smaller, I didn't think they meant worlds with no lots. One.... even just one would have made a huge difference when trying to justify the price tag.

Comments

• NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Plus the spellcasters, aliens, and vampires can't use their occult powers in the new world of Batuu. And though you can use all the build items in all the other worlds.... apparently the new CAS items are limited to Batuu.
    No, they are not. Some outfits must be unlocked through progression on Batuu.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    From what I understand it is more expensive everywhere except in the US, where it is a few dollars cheaper. That being said, I haven't extensively checked this out.

Anyway, I understand the disappointment. I did not expect much because I knew this pack was not for me, but it is still a shame to see the community looking forward to it be underserved.

I am assuming a lot of the limitations placed on the content are either do to the vacation world system in general or ways to keep SW out of the rest of the worlds. I suspect the latter more so in the sense that the devs probably expected this to be a contentious issue. It is one thing to produce a pack with an flamboyant theme, but it is a whole other for this pack to have the power to disrupt other worlds. Some people may buy it no matter what, but they still need to keep as few negatives as possible. I would consider it a negative if I had to see SW everywhere I went for the rest of 4's lifespan.
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    No, they are not. Some outfits must be unlocked through progression on Batuu.

And after you unlock them can you then use them in other worlds? Or are they limited to Batuu?
    Calico45 wrote: »
    From what I understand it is more expensive everywhere except in the US, where it is a few dollars cheaper. That being said, I haven't extensively checked this out.

Anyway, I understand the disappointment. I did not expect much because I knew this pack was not for me, but it is still a shame to see the community looking forward to it be underserved.

I am assuming a lot of the limitations placed on the content are either do to the vacation world system in general or ways to keep SW out of the rest of the worlds. I suspect the latter more so in the sense that the devs probably expected this to be a contentious issue. It is one thing to produce a pack with an flamboyant theme, but it is a whole other for this pack to have the power to disrupt other worlds. Some people may buy it no matter what, but they still need to keep as few negatives as possible. I would consider it a negative if I had to see SW everywhere I went for the rest of 4's lifespan.

I would have completely understood if they made Star Wars a standalone GP, with its CAS and Build items limited to that world as well. But that's not how it is. The SW pack does leak into other worlds via sims phone calls, and with the build/buy items being locked out of Batuu.
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,444 Member
    From what I understand you should be able to use the cas assets in any world. And a lot of the stuff on Batuu is available in debug.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

It is the same price as all other GPs are within their respective regions, except for Canada and Brazil (which is likely due to licensing issues).
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Yeah a pack where almost nothing is customizable and you have so many restriction on how you can play your own story... in a SIMS game!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited September 2020
    SimTrippy wrote: »

It is the same price as all other GPs are within their respective regions, except for Canada and Brazil (which is likely due to licensing issues).

I actually saw a picture of an Origin page listing it at $17.99 somewhere, but I am not sure which regional pricing it benefits from. I checked the official website afterwards, though, and sure enough $19.99 in the US at least.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Yeah a pack where almost nothing is customizable and you have so many restriction on how you can play your own story... in a SIMS game!

We need a money cheat for galactic credits. I don't want to have to play through the same quests every time I take a sim there, but would be nice to have a way to buy souvenirs, pay for food, etc. And we should be able to take better cameras with us than just the phone.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Would become interesting if they decide to release a new (small) world being another planet. Using SW BB & CAS there could be fun, and we could also drag in whatever elements we would like to see from the more normal worlds. A small planet world for space colonization, with only empty lots (like Newcrest) would give simmers 500 additional reasons to grab the SW pack.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2020
    Me neither, I am surprised how much effort that have went into this pack to reduce and restrict features from the sims4 base game and other packs. I think it's a strange way to expand the game, I understand that they might not have wanted too many crazy things happening on Batuu but I think that they went a bit too far. Reducing the worlds to simple neighborhoods with just one lot and making the rest of the houses into rabbit holes is reducing the game too much for my liking.

We might have reached a point where they no longer can make packs that can work with all the other packs in the game. At least if they want to make something that follows a very specific theme and they don't want to do any major changes to the game's coding.
    Would become interesting if they decide to release a new (small) world being another planet. Using SW BB & CAS there could be fun, and we could also drag in whatever elements we would like to see from the more normal worlds. A small planet world for space colonization, with only empty lots (like Newcrest) would give simmers 500 additional reasons to grab the SW pack.

They could have done it the same way as Glimmerbrook and the Magic Realm. The sims team could have given us a small gelatic world for us to build in..... with the Star Wars world a ship ride away.

.... then limited both the CAS and build/buy items to those worlds. A perfect little standalone Star Wars area.

But instead, we get a bunch of limitations that (IMO) don't make sense logically.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Imagine being able to live in Batuu and have a family with an alien from there and have the kids be aliens too. Raising an alien family in the middle of Batuu. And have Batuu residents visit you from the different fractions and bring food from their culture with them etc. etc.

Now that sounds more like a star wars themed sims game to me.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    I read somewhere that you can collect things on Batuu. Was there an additional category added to the household collections area?
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Me neither, I am surprised how much effort that have went into this pack to reduce and restrict features from the sims4 base game and other packs. I think it's a strange way to expand the game, I understand that they might not have wanted too many crazy things happening on Batuu but I think that they went a bit too far. Reducing the worlds to simple neighborhoods with just one lot and making the rest of the houses into rabbit holes is reducing the game too much for my liking.

We might have reached a point where they no longer can make packs that can work with all the other packs in the game. At least if they want to make something that follows a very specific theme and they don't want to do any major changes to the game's coding.

I think this pack is just an anomaly. A marketing tool to reach more potential players. EP 10 will get us back on track.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    This pack is an advert for Galaxy’s Edge. With some checklists thrown in.

I find it bizarre that supernaturals don’t have access to their powers whilst there.

I find it bizarre that supernaturals don’t have access to their powers whilst there.

And perfect timing too. With this pandemic trapping the world inside 4 walls.... the one thing we can all afford to do is go to Disneyland to see Star Wars stuff.

Lets all meet there on Friday.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »

And perfect timing too. With this pandemic trapping the world inside 4 walls.... the one thing we can all afford to do is go to Disneyland to see Star Wars stuff.

Lets all meet there on Friday.

Or save yourself the money as Plumbella says and google street view Galaxy’s edge 😂
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Imagine being able to live in Batuu and have a family with an alien from there and have the kids be aliens too. Raising an alien family in the middle of Batuu. And have Batuu residents visit you from the different fractions and bring food from their culture with them etc. etc.

Ah what could have been 😭
    This pack just keeps on making me sad.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    So I have questions.

If they are able to restrict travel of SW NPCs from other worlds it might be nice as a toggle to use for the previous world's. It just doesn't make sense for the Johnson family to appear everywhere my Sim family goes.

Secondly, I am curious as to why they didn't pull a RoM and make a buildable world along with a RoM side world.
  • PolkasaPolkasa Posts: 5 New Member
    Why! Why! I enjoyed this pack very much but i dont understand why they not allow me invivte Kylo Ren to my home or aliens :/, this is soo much dissapoiment :/. Wait! So i can invite ppl from magic world, and romance with them, and invite and play with them, but cannot do this with star wars :/, this is shame :/, hope they allow this in patches or some moddrrs will help :)
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

Technically you could have your sim live there. I think its the only world that is a vacation world where you really don't have to go home.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641

Technically you could have your sim live there. I think its the only world that is a vacation world where you really don't have to go home.

Technically.... "living there" and simply "not leaving there" are 2 different concepts.

I could probably do that in any world. Live in Brindleton Bay, but visit/refuse to leave Windenburg. As long as I can find a park or something with a bathroom, and a grill, and stumple upon a bench for napping.... I could stay there forever. Especially if there's a fishing sign nearby.

That's a completely different experience than having a lot to build, and live on.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »

Technically.... "living there" and simply "not leaving there" are 2 different concepts.

I could probably do that in any world. Live in Brindleton Bay, but visit/refuse to leave Windenburg. As long as I can find a park or something with a bathroom, and a grill, and stumple upon a bench for napping.... I could stay there forever. Especially if there's a fishing sign nearby.

That's a completely different experience than having a lot to build, and live on.
    Meaning you can just edit one of the lots on that world with a cheat and add a residential lot. So yes you can technically live there.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    Ok, for future reference..... i'm really going to need that cheat... lol.