Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 - The game what was never fixed

I've been gone for several years, hoping something would be fixed. Got the latest Nraas files like, Error trap, Master controller, Overwatch, Register, Relativity, and story progression. Sad that over 5 years, almost none have been updated. Used Rem's Small City Project 2013, which is suppose to be a city that will lessen the bugs of sims3. Started up with a family, but then they turned adult, I switched to a different family. Now playing one of the children of that family, the original family has died from old age. I think some of their children have died as well. But now my game is becoming UNPLAYABLE again. The exact same issue I keep running into.
Sims that seem to be falling into the world. Think It's overwatch telling me there is a issue with a sim, click on them, and it can't take you to them because they are no longer on the world. Using the resetsim command does NOT bring them back. Beds that are no longer usable and have to switched out to be used again (that was bizarre). My sim bars are blank for fun. Sometimes another is blank as well. With my robot just trying to look at the trait chips (adjust trait chips) crashed that sim, resetting them over and over. I can look at the chips without the sim resetting now, but my robot's Sentience chip no longer working. If I remove it, it will not show up in inventory. My game has become unstable and Nraas doesn't seem to help much.
Anyone having better luck then I am? A world that doesn't corrupt?
tron_zps9rppf9ua.jpg

Comments

• alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    I play TS3 with all packs vanilla on a modern PC and it works pretty good. Better than TS4.
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,065 Member
    I've had pretty good luck with my games and I don't think I've ran into half of those glitches throughout my eight years of gameplay. I think you might just have terrible luck with corruption (some playstyles can trigger it more than others), but @igazor might be able to help out. :)
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    Anyone having better luck then I am? A world that doesn't corrupt?

You should try playing Hidden Springs as a world.
    I am currently playing it now and don't have any of the problems you are experiencing.

Of course the only time I ever experienced any of the kind of stuff you are talking about ...
    It was my fault and really had nothing much to do with the game messing anything up.

Sorry for your troubles ... Hope you find a solution.
    Happy Simming!

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    edited September 2020
    I've been gone for several years, hoping something would be fixed. Got the latest Nraas files like, Error trap, Master controller, Overwatch, Register, Relativity, and story progression. Sad that over 5 years, almost none have been updated.
    Master Controller has last been updated a few days ago. Look at the "testing" branch for the latest updates.
    I have seen many of the issues you describe, but with correctly set up NRaas mods, those should not really happen, or at least very rarely. Use DebugEnabler (in case you use WA or University, which also means using NRaas Traveler) to try and "Fix Homeworld", and especially a "Reset Everything" with Master Controller is also a good idea from time to time.
    Worlds will collect data garbage over time, but you can vastly increase the time in which this happens by using mods.
    If you use some of ellacharmed's fixed worlds as base, most of the EA worlds should work pretty well, with Isla Paradiso and Bridgeport needing a bit more TLC. I use the same worlds for hundreds of ingame days until I lose my patience with load and save times, so it's certainly possible to play long-term games without having to change worlds.

My main issues are self-inflicted, like having too many sims in a town after a while. The rest is manageable. Of course, there are a few no-no's you should never ever do, like just delete sims other than via MC, but I assume you know that.
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    I play TS3 with all packs vanilla on a modern PC and it works pretty good. Better than TS4.

Same here (almost). I play TS3 with all packs and everything from the Store (but NO third party content!) on laptops and desktops that are several years old, and it works fine for the most part. Small and harmless bugs and glitches occur now and then, but that doesn't bother me much. They're usually mendable one way or another, certainly not game breaking.
    Turjan wrote: »
    My main issues are self-inflicted, like having too many sims in a town after a while. The rest is manageable. Of course, there are a few no-no's you should never ever do, like just delete sims other than via MC, but I assume you know that.

@Turjan It seems to be safe to delete sims in Edit town mode. I've done it hundreds of times without ever noticing any adverse effect. :)
    edited September 2020
    Yes, and how long do your games last? Given there are countless reports that this can corrupt your game, it's not good practice.
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I also have deleted Sims from the clipboard in 'Edit Town' mode without there being any ill effects inside of my game or saves. A person who chooses to play without mods has no other safe option to use other than the method the game's creator's put in place for deleting unwanted Sims. I have never had to jump worlds by exporting households out of one save to place them in a fresh world due to this and those saves are still a part of my ongoing active games.

@computertech82 - I am sorry for your troubles :(. I have not experienced any of the issues you face so I have no suggestions of help to offer. I do know that sometimes strange things happen with the game based on things which aren't a part of the game such as a certain Logitech mouse (can't recall the model) will cause the game to go screwy. Also, certain MP3s above 320kbps will cause issues within the game as well as some background functions which aren't automatically turned off.
    edited September 2020
    Well, my experience with data remnants of allegedly deleted sims from the time when I played without mods looks different.

In the end, it doesn't matter, as the OP uses mods. As he has access to MC's "Total Annihilation" function, he may as well use it, as it's the safe way to delete sims.

Given his actual issue was sims getting lost, Overwatch should fix that during its nightly cleanup. If he is impatient, he can also recover those sims by manually forcing this from Overwatch's "Immediate" menu.
    Post edited by Turjan on
  • mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,214 Member
    The OP uses mods but not everyone who encounters the issue of having to remove Sims from game does as there are still people on this forum who chose to play without them. I have NRaas' mods and I still use the Edit Town method to remove Sims, it just works for me.

Concerning Overwatch, no mod is 100% effective all the time especially when the game has other ideas in mind. This I know first hand. And while my event may be a very isolated case, it happened none-the-less. And, since it happen to me then odds are it could happen to others; even if those odds are astronomical.

A little over a year ago I had a Sim stuck in a car on a street in Barnacle Bay a little past the cemetery. He was stuck but still animated and trying to move. Although unusual, I thought somehow the game glitched and the Sim 'died in his car'. I used all sorts of NRaas tricks to get rid of that Sim. I couldn't reset or TA him because the game didn't produce a name for him right away. Overwatch couldn't catch it and neither Error Trap nor Overwatch could remove him; no matter how many times I tried to force them.

At a loss for what to do I contacted @igazor for help and together we head scratched ideas for ways to remove that Sim from my road. Turns out somehow the game didn't recognize him as a Sim but rather as being an object. This is why Error Trap and Overwatch didn't work; they didn't identify him as a Sim let alone a stuck Sim or as a malfunctioning object.

In the end, the game did re-generate a name for him and I was able to reset him, even though he was still listed as an 'object'. I tell this story because sometimes things can go so mind-boggling wrong with this game for no apparent reason! And, the tools that were made to try to correct errors can become ineffective due to reasons unknown. I would say it's very rare - but it does happen.
  • computertech82computertech82 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited September 2020
    Back in 2015, I was playing a world something like barnacle bay or something (can't remember). The world happen to have the Flying V coffeehouse, the worker kept disappearing. I found out there was a bug for that lot (can't remember if other showtime lot had issues) . I specifically followed the worker, he/she fell through the world at work. Since I happen to know their name, I was able to reset them, they would come back to the world, but would fall though again when they went to work. I happen to post about it back in 2015, but can't find the original post about the issue (not by me).
    @Turjan, overwatch does NOT fix several things every day (clean-up time) Like a sim that has falling through the world, or a sim that is glitching. There is only so much they can fix.

I'm wondering if some of the issues i've keep getting (different computers), is because of steam?

Right now, i'm going to try the world Sunset Valley 2020. on the website, https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com
    And see if there is any difference or not.
    tron_zps9rppf9ua.jpg
    @computertech82 Well, Overwatch usually fixes sims that aren't clickable anymore, that's what I meant. Glitches can have many reasons. Just today I fixed a pool ladder in one of Sunset Valley's public pools, which was also reset-resistant, caused routing errors and had to be replaced. I have to check for invisible jigs etc. next session.

SV2020 works very well, I've been using version 1 of it. It has too many role sims for my liking though. While having all expansion pack venues in one town sounds great on paper, it's most of the time overkill and spreads activities too thin. Also, I got rid of the big resort quickly :lol: . Anyway, the main fixes are already in ellacharmed's base SV file, which you will have to replace vanilla SV with, anyway, if you want to use SV2020. That's what I am using at the moment.

As for the reason of your issues, there are many potential causes, like following wrong guides on how to setup your game. Also, my oldest save has errors baked in from the time I played without mods, and at some point, it's just time to use Porter and move the inhabitants to a new version of the town (Bridgeport in my case), if it gets too bothersome. At the moment, I still live with those faults, as the mods still manage to keep fixing most of the stuff, at least temporarily. I've never had a sim fall through the world though, so I'm not sure what may be the cause that.
    Turjan wrote: »
    Yes, and how long do your games last? Given there are countless reports that this can corrupt your game, it's not good practice.

@Turjan They last rather long actually, thanks for asking. :) But somewhere after around 110-130 weeks they start to feel a bit heavy. They take longer and longer to load, up to 15-20 minutes, and 1-2 minutes to save, and after 130-140 weeks they might throw an Error code 12 now and then if I don't check Task manager before every time I save, to make sure the RAM usage isn't too high. But the age of the save is not everything, it also depends a lot on how large the population is, but that goes without saying. When I get tired of the long waiting periods for loading/saving and the need to always check RAM usage before saving I start a new game, either in a fresh copy of the same world with the same sims, or another world with other sims.

Where have you seen these "countless reports" I wonder? I've been checking out most of the TS3 forums for years, like this one, Mod the Sims, Carl's, Steam etc, but I've never seen anyone mention anything about this.

Maybe so, but like I said in the previous post I haven't noticed any adverse effects yet, and as @mw1525 pointed out, it's the only way to do it for non mod users like me.

Three examples of long/longish saves from different installations on different computers:
    bLUbYhw.png

v1k8veH.png

z5FajNm.png